IndiaDivine.org

Krishna-Arjuana samvadam - the time factors involved

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HARI OM! In the recent past I hadlistened with great interest discussions on some tv-channels: How long it would have taken for the actual Krishna-Arjuana samvadam (Gitopadesam) inKurukshetra? With due respects to what ever had been discussed by the learnedpeople there, I would like to place the following observation for the valuedopinions of the learned Guruvayur Devotees of this group. This is my personal impressionwith out any external proof or reference. Kindly spare some time to correct me if I my impression is notright. For the actualKrishna-Arjuna samvadam, in the battle field, only a few split-seconds wouldhave taken? Because:Both Krishna and Arjuna are very intelligent and learned. They are very close friends - have mutual respect and know each other very well. Communication between such pairs is very efficient – can convey their ideas almost instantly and fully.The means of communication between Krishna and Arjuna was not limited to speech alone, but a combination of facial expressions, jesters, etc., as well. Most probably, Arjuna would have put down his bow in disgust and looked at Krishna. Krishna, in turn, would have just glanced at Arjuna and nodded his head exhorting him to fight: all these in split seconds.Whereas the Sanjay-Dhritarashtra samvadam (the whole of Bhagavad Gita) took so much time and 700 slokas, because:(a) The scene wasnot warfront, but in the palace after the 10th day's war - hence no needfor any time limitation.(b) What wasdescribed here was not only what transpired between Krishna and Arjuna butalso what would have gone through their minds and a detailed narration of thecontexts and causes. © The medium of communicationbetween Sanjay and Dhritarashtra (who was blind by birth) was limited only tospeech - or that between Veda Vyasa and the common man to the text form whichrequired 700 slokas. Hence, there is no cause for confusion about the time factorsinvolved in Bhagavad Gita, whether one considers it in historical, literary orphilosophical (Vedantic) planes. With warm regards,NB Nair.