IndiaDivine.org

Saranagathi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

!!Sri Rama Jayam !!

There are three types of Saranagathi :

Tam-aiva(ha)m (I am Thine), Mama-iva-tvam (You are mine) Tvameva-aham (Thou art I).

The first affirms I am Yours; the second asserts, You are mine and the third declares, You and I are One, the Same. Each is just a step in the rising series and the last is the highest step of all. In the first stage, Tam-eva-aham, the Lord is fully free and Devotee is fully bound (it is like the mother & the baby). The mother shifts the baby as mother wills; the baby accepts whatever happens. This attitude is very gentle and is within easy reach of all. In the second, Mama-eva-twam, the devotee binds the Lord, who is to that extent un-free ! Surdas is a good example of this attitude. "Krishna! you may escape from my hold, from the clasp of these arms; but you cannot escape from my heart I have bound You", challenged Surdas, and the Lord just smiled and assented 'I am bound by My devotees'. The devotee can tie up the Lord with his/her prema, by bhakthi that overwhelms and overpowers his/her egoism. .

Remember the promise the Lord made in the Githa 'Yogakshemam Vahaamyaham', "I carry the burden of his/her welfare".

Next about the third stage: "Twameva-aham ithi tridhaa"; this is the 'Avibhaktha Bhakthi', the inseparable devotion. The devotee offers all to the Lord, including himself, for he feels that he cannot withhold himself. That completes his surrender. The twa-meva-aham feeling is the Adwaithic Saranagathi, based on the realisation that all this ('Idam') is Vasudeva and nothing else, nothing else.

So long as the consciousness of the Deha or body persists, the bhaktha is the servant and the Lord is the Master. So long as the individual feels that he is separate from other individuals, the bhakta is a part and the Lord is the Whole. When he progresses to the State when he gets beyond the limits of the body as well as of 'I' and 'Mine', then there is no more distinction; Bhaktha and Bhagaavan are the same. As scripted in Ramayana, Hanuman achieved this third stage through bhakthi. The Gita does not intend that you should pluck a leaf or flower or a fruit from some plant or tree and place it before God. Nor does it ask you to bring water from a well or river or the road-side tap. The leaf is your own body, which like the leaf, sprouts green, fades and finally falls off from the branch. The flower is the Heart freed from the insect pests of Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment, Pride, Hate, etc. The fruit is the mind, the consequence of its yearning, which has to be dedicated to God, the water is the stream of tears that flow from the eyes when one is in ecstatic Bliss at the contemplation of God's Glory. Giving these four is the real act of surrender, Saranagathi.

The offering of leaves or flowers or fruits or river water is at best a way of helping the plant or tree or river to secure a little merit. It is the mind that builds up the body, strong and shiny, or wastes it to skin and bone. For Manushya (human) to be strong, the manas (mind) has to be strong. Live always as the servant of the Lord within you, then you will not be tempted into sin or fall into evil. Get into the habit of living in the light of God. It is the habit that rehabilitates the fallen. Have the attitude of Saranagati, or else your destiny will be Sara-gati (all-offered (waste/empty-offering or death without devotion)). - Sai Baba

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

adiyen attaching more articles on saranagathi, bharanyasam taken from ramanuja darshanam.kavidharthiga simhAya kalyAna gyna shalinEsrimathE vEkatEsAya vEdhAntha guravE nama:

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Respected Sir,

Adiyen may be permitted to use parts of these for the series of articles to appear in Sri Ranganatha Paduka. The June issue carried the first of the serial on Urdhva Pundram & Upanayanam. July issue will carry adiyen's posting on " marriages " . Maybe the September/October issues will carry the articles on Prapatthi. Need your permission please!

Regards.

Daasan RR.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:46 AM, mal <malvengu wrote:

adiyen attaching more articles on saranagathi, bharanyasam taken from ramanuja darshanam.kavidharthiga simhAya kalyAna gyna shalinEsrimathE vEkatEsAya vEdhAntha guravE nama:

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

-- Warmest Regards

RR___________________________R Rajagopal,Partner,ARAVIND LABORATORIES,New No 11, Old No 7,Chakrapani Street,Chennai 600 033.INDIAPh: 9144 2483 8585 - Office9144 2249 1971 - Factory

9144 2484 0468 - Fax9193850 50002 - Mobile,9194440 57848 - Mobile ___________________________Please visit us at:http://www.eyetex.com

Guest guest

sir i have downloaded ramanuja darshanam from http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/scripts/FullindexDefault.htm?path1=/data/upload/0047/660 & first=1 & last=160 & barcode=1990020047655 here i am attaching the first few pages of the book. since i was reading articles on saranagathi in this group thought would share this. kavidharthiga simhAya kalyAna guna shalinEsrimathE vEkatEsAya vEdhAntha guravE nama:

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.