IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Guruvayur Ekadasi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

More than anything else, it is a day to remember Guruvayurappan more. This is the aim of Ekadasi vratham. The fasting is done so as to reduce the indulgence of the senses and to divert them to Bhagavan's holy names, past-times. Sometimes, some people will find it extremely difficult to fix their attention on Bhagavan simply because they are too tired by a total fast. In such cases, to enable the person to remember Bhagavan better (by chanting holy names, reading Bhagavatam, Narayaneeyam etc or by serving other devotees), it is recommended to eat fruits / roots - and strictly avoid grains - actually ANNAM should not be eaten - some interpret it as 'Rice' and others as '(All) Grains' - which is why you see some people eating chapathis or dosha made of wheat and avoiding Rice altogether. Ideally, a fast from all grains is better because of the medical benefits also that it brings. In fact, one Ayurvedic doctor commented that a fast

every fortnight is recommended in Ayurveda - and therefore it is best to observe this fast on every Ekadasi !! There are many other rules for Ekadasi which state that if you eat (fruits/roots etc) one time (ie noon time), you will get 50% benefit of observing full fast on Ekadasi - Also, if you eat fruits/roots during noon and night, then you will get only 25% benefit of full fast on Ekadasi etc etc. The prime purpose of observing Ekadasi should be to fix our consciousness on Sri Guruvayurappan. -sriramSunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote: Dear All,Please remember that Guruvayoor Ekadasi is today. I wouldlike to know how many of you are fasting on Ekadasi day.Please mention if there is any special ritual or method you follow onEkadasi day.For those of you do not know much about Ekadasi, here is a genericversion that you can follow on the day.How To Fast on EKADASI-------------------------------Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food anddrink. If you finds this impossible, then one should eat a singlenon-grain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening, which shouldconsist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water,milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions).If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Ofcourse, if a complete fast

impedes duty, it should not be observed,but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet hisresponsibilities.On Ekadasi you should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, amassage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating withbell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another'shouse, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.If by chance one forgets to observe Ekadasi on the appropriate day, hemay observe it on the next day, Dvadasi, and thus break his fast onTrayodasi. After carefully observing a fast on Ekadasi, following therules and regulations, one should break his fast within two and a halfhours after sunrise on Dvadasi.Who should fast ono EKADASI?-------------------------------Ekadasi fasting is not meant for brahmacaris or sannyasis. Accordingto the scriptures, anyone older than five years of age should observeEkadasi. One who is unable to

fast due to serious illness or old ageor pregnant women should seek out a devotee and give him/her charityon Ekadasi.Spiritual Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from sin and advances inspiritual life.Material Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------Both western and Ayurvedic medicine recommend fasting to maintain andimprove health. Fasting benefits one, both physically and mentally.Even from the economic point of view, fasting will save tons of food.Remember to read devotional books and write anything related toBhagavan on this day.Please try to keep Ekadasi fast and pray for everyone in our group.Wish you all a Happy Ekadasi in advance.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil.

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

Dear Sunil Today since it is Guruyaoor Ekadasi I; and my fmly.were fasting No rice foods only wheat.I feel very nice after fasting. Vinod Pillai Sunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote: Dear All,Please remember that Guruvayoor Ekadasi is today. I wouldlike to know how many of you are fasting on Ekadasi day.Please mention if there is any special ritual or method you follow onEkadasi day.For those of you do not know much about Ekadasi, here is a genericversion that you can follow on the day.How To Fast on EKADASI-------------------------------Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food anddrink. If you finds this impossible, then one should eat a singlenon-grain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening, which

shouldconsist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water,milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions).If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Ofcourse, if a complete fast impedes duty, it should not be observed,but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet hisresponsibilities.On Ekadasi you should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, amassage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating withbell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another'shouse, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.If by chance one forgets to observe Ekadasi on the appropriate day, hemay observe it on the next day, Dvadasi, and thus break his fast onTrayodasi. After carefully observing a fast on Ekadasi, following therules and regulations, one should break his fast within two and a halfhours after sunrise on

Dvadasi.Who should fast ono EKADASI?-------------------------------Ekadasi fasting is not meant for brahmacaris or sannyasis. Accordingto the scriptures, anyone older than five years of age should observeEkadasi. One who is unable to fast due to serious illness or old ageor pregnant women should seek out a devotee and give him/her charityon Ekadasi.Spiritual Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from sin and advances inspiritual life.Material Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------Both western and Ayurvedic medicine recommend fasting to maintain andimprove health. Fasting benefits one, both physically and mentally.Even from the economic point of view, fasting will save tons of food.Remember to read devotional books and write anything related toBhagavan on this day.Please try to keep Ekadasi fast and

pray for everyone in our group.Wish you all a Happy Ekadasi in advance.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil.Om Namo Narayanaya:

Dear Sunilji, I had started my fasting right from a day before, i.e on the previous night, I did not have rice. On Ekadasi I had only an apple, and sabudana kichdi. (I hope it is not counted in grains) . Early morning I went to Matunga (Guruvayoor temple) in Mumbai. There I heard that some people were observing Karthikey ekadasi too on the same day. Full day went very smoothly. At night Guruvayoor serial was like a prasadam with an ending with Gita Upadesh. Thanks for giving us a chance to observe the auspicious days. I sincerely request each member to inform us a day earlier about any auspicious day, so that we all members get a chance to be prepared for the same and observe it ritually. Thanks to all. Geetha NairSunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote: Dear All,Please remember that Guruvayoor Ekadasi is today. I wouldlike to know how many of you are fasting on Ekadasi day.Please mention if there is any special ritual or method you follow onEkadasi day.For those of you do not know much about Ekadasi, here is a genericversion that you can follow on the day.How To Fast on EKADASI-------------------------------Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food anddrink. If you finds this impossible, then one should eat a singlenon-grain meal once in the afternoon

or in the evening, which shouldconsist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water,milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions).If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Ofcourse, if a complete fast impedes duty, it should not be observed,but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet hisresponsibilities.On Ekadasi you should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, amassage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating withbell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another'shouse, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.If by chance one forgets to observe Ekadasi on the appropriate day, hemay observe it on the next day, Dvadasi, and thus break his fast onTrayodasi. After carefully observing a fast on Ekadasi, following therules and regulations, one should break his fast within two and a halfhours

after sunrise on Dvadasi.Who should fast ono EKADASI?-------------------------------Ekadasi fasting is not meant for brahmacaris or sannyasis. Accordingto the scriptures, anyone older than five years of age should observeEkadasi. One who is unable to fast due to serious illness or old ageor pregnant women should seek out a devotee and give him/her charityon Ekadasi.Spiritual Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from sin and advances inspiritual life.Material Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------Both western and Ayurvedic medicine recommend fasting to maintain andimprove health. Fasting benefits one, both physically and mentally.Even from the economic point of view, fasting will save tons of food.Remember to read devotional books and write anything related

toBhagavan on this day.Please try to keep Ekadasi fast and pray for everyone in our group.Wish you all a Happy Ekadasi in advance.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil.Geetha Nair

Now you can chat without downloading messenger. Click here to know how.

Jai Sreekrishna Thank you Sunilji for this update By the grace of Kannan, I kept the fast. I skipped dinner on Dasami day . On Ekadasi day I kept fast without eating anything whole day. At night I had half glass milk (prasdam offered to Kannan). Today morning I did break the fast well in time between 6.45 and 7.12 AM. Today also I shall skip the dinner. I also offered Dwdashi panam at the Lotus feet of my Kannan. When I go to Guruvayoor next time, I shall have the same put in the Hundi. . I read Ambareeksha charitam and also Gita Overall by the grace of KANNAN, I could conclude the fast to my satisfaction. Humbly SyamalaSunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote: Dear All,Please remember that Guruvayoor Ekadasi is today. I wouldlike to know how many of you are fasting on Ekadasi day.Please mention if there is any special ritual or method you follow onEkadasi day.For those of you do not know much about Ekadasi, here is a genericversion that you can follow on the day.How To Fast on EKADASI-------------------------------Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food

anddrink. If you finds this impossible, then one should eat a singlenon-grain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening, which shouldconsist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water,milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions).If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Ofcourse, if a complete fast impedes duty, it should not be observed,but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet hisresponsibilities.On Ekadasi you should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, amassage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating withbell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another'shouse, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.If by chance one forgets to observe Ekadasi on the appropriate day, hemay observe it on the next day, Dvadasi, and thus break his fast onTrayodasi. After carefully observing a fast

on Ekadasi, following therules and regulations, one should break his fast within two and a halfhours after sunrise on Dvadasi.Who should fast ono EKADASI?-------------------------------Ekadasi fasting is not meant for brahmacaris or sannyasis. Accordingto the scriptures, anyone older than five years of age should observeEkadasi. One who is unable to fast due to serious illness or old ageor pregnant women should seek out a devotee and give him/her charityon Ekadasi.Spiritual Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from sin and advances inspiritual life.Material Benefits of Ekadasi vrata-------------------------------Both western and Ayurvedic medicine recommend fasting to maintain andimprove health. Fasting benefits one, both physically and mentally.Even from the economic point of view,

fasting will save tons of food.Remember to read devotional books and write anything related toBhagavan on this day.Please try to keep Ekadasi fast and pray for everyone in our group.Wish you all a Happy Ekadasi in advance.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Geethaji and others,

I agree with you about the timing of the message. My humble apologies

for not sending the Ekadasi vratam message earlier.

It would have been a nice reminder as well as a primer on HOW TO take

Vratha for meany members if the message was a day or two earlier.

However, due to my time crunch & personal circumstance, I could not

send it earlier. Sorry.

I request Induji, Shyamalaji and Geethaji to kindly do the seva of reminding the

group about important dates/festivals and how to celebrate the same in future,

as you three are very good with such things.

Good to hear that many of you had a good Ekadasi and thanks for

sharing your Ekadasi details. Every year, we get more insights into

Ekadasi Vratham by your mails and we get to know what to do and what

not to do by reading such informative messages.

I invite more members to write about their Ekadasi and also if anyone

visited GURUVAYUR duing Ekadasi.

Om Namo Narayanaya:

Sunil.

guruvayur , Geetha Nair <geethasnin wrote:

>

> Dear Sunilji,

>

> I had started my fasting right from a day before, i.e on the

previous night, I did not have rice. On Ekadasi I had only an apple,

and sabudana kichdi. (I hope it is not counted in grains) . Early

morning I went to Matunga (Guruvayoor temple) in Mumbai. There I

heard that some people were observing Karthikey ekadasi too on the

same day. Full day went very smoothly. At night Guruvayoor serial was

like a prasadam with an ending with Gita Upadesh.

>

> Thanks for giving us a chance to observe the auspicious days. I

sincerely request each member to inform us a day earlier about any

auspicious day, so that we all members get a chance to be prepared for

the same and observe it ritually.

>

> Thanks to all.

>

> Geetha Nair

>

> Sunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote:

> Dear All,

>

> Please remember that Guruvayoor Ekadasi is today. I would

> like to know how many of you are fasting on Ekadasi day.

> Please mention if there is any special ritual or method you follow on

> Ekadasi day.

>

> For those of you do not know much about Ekadasi, here is a generic

> version that you can follow on the day.

>

> How To Fast on EKADASI

> -------------------------------

> Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food and

> drink. If you finds this impossible, then one should eat a single

> non-grain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening, which should

> consist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water,

> milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions).

>

> If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Of

> course, if a complete fast impedes duty, it should not be observed,

> but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet his

> responsibilities.

>

> On Ekadasi you should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, a

> massage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating with

> bell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another's

> house, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.

>

> If by chance one forgets to observe Ekadasi on the appropriate day, he

> may observe it on the next day, Dvadasi, and thus break his fast on

> Trayodasi. After carefully observing a fast on Ekadasi, following the

> rules and regulations, one should break his fast within two and a half

> hours after sunrise on Dvadasi.

>

> Who should fast ono EKADASI?

> Ekadasi fasting is not meant for brahmacaris or sannyasis. According

> to the scriptures, anyone older than five years of age should observe

> Ekadasi. One who is unable to fast due to serious illness or old age

> or pregnant women should seek out a devotee and give him/her charity

> on Ekadasi.

>

> Spiritual Benefits of Ekadasi vrata

> One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from sin and advances in

> spiritual life.

>

> Material Benefits of Ekadasi vrata

> Both western and Ayurvedic medicine recommend fasting to maintain and

> improve health. Fasting benefits one, both physically and mentally.

> Even from the economic point of view, fasting will save tons of food.

>

> Remember to read devotional books and write anything related to

> Bhagavan on this day.

>

> Please try to keep Ekadasi fast and pray for everyone in our group.

> Wish you all a Happy Ekadasi in advance.

>

> Om Namo Narayanaya:

>

> Sunil.

Geetha Nair

>

>

> Now you can chat without downloading messenger. Click here to know how.

>