IndiaDivine.org

Sri Hanuman Chalisa - An inner look

Rate this topic

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

The structure

Hanuman Chalisa is the prayer in 40 verses written by Tulsidas. Each such verse is called a chaupai (means 4 legs) and each chaupai of the Chalisa has two lines each, the two always rhyme. The chalisa is sung in different tunes (more than 100) across the country.

The prayer has three parts - The preamble : The main body (chalisa) : The final request

The contents of Chalisa

Hanuman Chalisa is the essence of Sundar Kanda. The themes covered in the Hanuman Chalisa can be divided into the following categories:

Preamble : "I cleanse the dirty mirror of my heart by the holy dust of Guru's feet & then I start praising the tender exploits of Lord Rama that grants me fruits of 4 types".

Hanuman's Physique: He is the symbol of muscular Hinduism. His physical strength is mentioned in verses 2,3,5 (the thunderbot mace), 9,10,11,18,19,23 and 24. The chalisa repeatedly mentions the halo that surrounds the deity's entire body (tej). The good are awe-struck by it while evil people find it scary. Verse 23 alludes to the ferocity of Hanuman's anger. Verse 9 and 10 tells the power of Hanuman to transform himself physically.

Hanuman's Intelligence: The first verse says that Hanuman is a sea of wisdom and virtue. Verse 7 reiterates these two qualities. Verse 16 hints at his negotiating skills and the next verse speaks of the excellence of his advice. He is the one who persuades Rama to grant shelter for downtrodden beings like Sugriva & Vibhishana. Let's always remember that we are no different from Sugriva or Vibhishana.

Beloved of the Gods: Verses 13,14 and 15 tells how the gods sang paeans in praise of Hanuman. He is the one and only mythological figure (both as a supreme devotee & god) liked & admired by all classes of beings (human, gods or any other celestials).

His heroic acts: Verses 18 and 19 recount the incidents of the sun and the signet ring respectively showing his heroic deeds. The inner purport of swallowing Sun-god is that as a student, Hanuman digested all the vedic & earthly principles that was instructed by his preceptor.

Love for Ram: Verses 7 and 8 tells how intensely Hanuman loved his master Lord Ram. Verses 12,13, 21 and 32 show the relationship between Rama and Hanuman. At the 1st meeting, Rama asked Hanuman - "Who are you ?" & the reply was very unique "At the physical level you are master & I am servant; at the spiritual level you are supreme soul & I am a part and parcel of yours; and at the elemental level you & I are one (Adwaitham)." This is the summary of the highest learning anybody could get through his/her life & experiences.

Hanuman and Sita: Verse 31 tell the Boons granted to Hanuman by mother Sita. "Let you live as long as Rama's exploits dwell on earth...and may the righteous Lord Rama care for you with ever increasing love."

Hanuman as the mediator: Verses 21 and 33 show the way to attain Sri Rama through Hanuman. This verse builts ultimate confidence within a devotee that if he/she relies on Hanuman's grace, it is sure to reach Rama than directly attaining Rama by other means. In Krishna-bhakti, this role is played by Srimati Radhika.

Hanuman's humility: Verse 9 tells the humility when he met Mother Sita. Hanuman assuming a child-like form in front of the universal mother Sita. It shows no matter how big or great you are, always bow unto your mother (or seniors).

Hanuman's blessings: Verses 20,22,24,25,26 and 36 remind that Hanuman is a remover of adversities (sankat mochan) for his devotees. Hanuman chose to live on earth even after Ramavataram having concluded during treta-yuga. Hanuman is committed to his master Rama to take care of all other devotees & help them reach their spiritual destiny (merging in Rama).

Hanuman's parentage: The Chalisa mentions the patronage to Hanuman by his father Kesari, Lord of Wind (Vayu) and Lord Shiv (Hanuman is considered as the 11th incarnation of Lord Shiva).

Praise of Hanuman: Verses 29, 35 and 36 is in sheer praise of Hanuman. "Oh! conqueror of the Wind, Destroyer of all miseries, you are a symbol of Auspiciousness. Along with Shri Ram, Lakshman and Sita, reside in my heart."

When the Chalisa should be chanted?

The Hanuman Chalisa should be recited at least once in a week (Tuesdays or Saturdays). Early morning and after the sunset are the favoured times. It is recommended to recite the Chalisa 11 times (Hanuman being the 11th incarnation of Lord Shiv). Some recite the prayer everyday, normally before setting out for work.

Tulsidas suggested that the Hanuman Chalisa should be recited a hundred times in order to obtain special benefits and in special occasions - serious illness, important examinations, major hurdles etc..

The Chalisa is invariably recited before reading Ramayan because the best way to reach Sri Ram is through Hanuman. Hanuman is believed to be present wherever the story of Rama is told.

"Yatra Yatra Raghunatha Kirtanam

Tatra Tatra Krutamastakanjalim

Vashpavari paripoornalochanam

Maruti namath rakashasaanthakam."

Salutations to the epitome of selfless-devotion Sri Anjaneya Swami.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama