IndiaDivine.org

Speech of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Please read this article by giving 10 minutes from your busy life. Really good.... ** * The President of India DR. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam’s Speech in Hyderabad. Why is the media here so negative? Why are we in India so embarrassed to recognize our own strengths, our achievements? We are such a great nation. We have so many amazing success stories but we refuse acknowledge them--- Why? We are the first in milk production. We are number one in

Remote sensing satellites. We are the second largest producer of wheat. We are the second largest producer of rice. Look at Dr. Sudarshan; he has transferred the tribal village into a self-sustaining, self-driving unit. There are millions of such achievements but our media is only obsessed in the bad news and failures and disasters. I was in Tel Aviv once and I was reading the Israeli newspaper. It was the day after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The Hama’s had struck. But the front page of the newspaper had the picture of a Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert into an orchid and a granary. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The gory details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the newspaper, buried among other news. In India we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime. Why are we so NEGATIVE? Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with foreign things? We want foreign T. Vs, we want foreign shirts. We want foreign technology. Why this obsession with everything imported. Do we not realize that self-respect comes with self-reliance? I was in Hyderabad giving this lecture, when a 14 year old girl asked me for my autograph. I asked her what her goal in life is. She replied: I want to live in a developed India. For her, you and I will have to build this developed India. You must proclaim. India is not an under-developed nation; it is a highly developed nation. Do you have 10 minutes? Allow me to come back with a vengeance. Got 10 minutes for your country? If yes, then read; otherwise, choice is yours. YOU say that our government is inefficient. YOU say that our laws are too old. YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage. YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke.The airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination. YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the absolute pits. YOU say, say and say. What do YOU do about it? Take a person on his way to Singapore. Give him a name - YOURS. Give him a face - YOURS. YOU walk out of the airport and you are at your

International best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground links as they are. You pay $5 (approx. Rs. 60) to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim Causeway or Pedder Road ) between 5 PM and 8 PM. YOU come back to the parking lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity... In Singapore you don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during Ramadan, in Dubai. YOU would not dare to go out without your head covered in Jeddah. YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange in London at 10 pounds (Rs.650) a month to, 'see to it that my STD and ISD calls are billed to someone else.' YOU would not dare to speed beyond 55 mph (88 km/h) in Washington and then tell the traffic cop,'Jaanta hain main kaun hoon (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son. Take your two bucks and get lost.' YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New Zealand. Why don't YOU spit Pan on the streets of Tokyo? Why don't YOU use examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston???

We are still talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system in other countries but cannot in your own.

You who will throw papers and cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian ground.

If you can be an involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country, why cannot you be the same here in India? Once in an interview, the famous Ex-municipal commissioner of Bombay, Mr. Tinaikar , had a point to make. 'Rich people's dogs are walked on the streets to leave their affluent droppings all over the place,' he said. 'And then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the officers to do?

Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure in his bowels? In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job. Same in Japan. Will the Indian citizen do that here?' He's right. We go to the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility. We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all over the place nor are we going to stop to pick up a stray piece of paper and throw it in the bin. We expect

the railways to provide clean bathrooms but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms. We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and toiletries but we are not going to stop pilfering at the least opportunity. This applies even to the staff that is known not to pass on the service to the public. When it comes to burning social issues like those related to women, dowry, and girl child! And others, we make loud drawing room protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? 'It's the whole system which has to change, how will it matter if I alone forego my sons' rights to a dowry.' So who's going to change the system? What does a system consist of? Very conveniently for us it consists of our neighbors, other households, other cities, other communities and the government. But definitely not me and

YOU. When it comes to us actually making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with our families into a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far away and wait for a Mr. Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a majestic sweep of his hand or we leave the country and run away. Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to England. When England experiences unemployment, we take the next flight out to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out

to abuse and rape the country. Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is mortgaged to money. Dear Indians, The article is highly thought inductive, calls for a great deal of introspection and pricks one's conscience too.... I am echoing J. F. Kennedy’s words to his fellow Americans to relate to Indians..... 'ASK WHAT WE CAN DO FOR INDIA AND DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE INDIA WHAT AMERICA AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE TODAY' Lets do what India needs from us. Forward this mail to each Indian for a change instead of sending Jokes or junk mails. Thank you, Dr. Abdul Kalaam Posted by Dr. Abdul Kalam's Speech in Hyderabad

@ 2/26/2008 6:28 PM

Explore your hobbies and interests. Click here to begin.

Very nice speech......

Thank u Rajeshji...

Regards,

Sreejith

--- On Tue, 26/2/08, Rajesh Menon <raj_menon74 wrote:

Rajesh Menon <raj_menon74[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Speech of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam"Guruvayur" <guruvayur >Tuesday, 26 February, 2008, 7:31 PM

Please read this article by giving 10 minutes from your busy life. Really good.... ** * The President of India DR. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam’s Speech in Hyderabad . Why is the media here so negative? Why are we in India so embarrassed to recognize our own strengths, our achievements? We are such a great nation. We have so many amazing success stories but we refuse acknowledge them--- Why? We are the first in milk production. We are number one in Remote sensing satellites. We are the second largest producer of wheat. We are the second largest producer of rice. Look at Dr. Sudarshan; he has transferred the tribal village into a self-sustaining, self-driving unit. There are millions of such achievements but our media is only obsessed in the bad news and failures and disasters.

I was in Tel Aviv once and I was reading the Israeli newspaper. It was the day after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The Hama ’s had struck. But the front page of the newspaper had the picture of a Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert into an orchid and a granary. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The gory details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the newspaper, buried among other news. In India we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime. Why are we so NEGATIVE? Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with foreign things? We want foreign T. Vs, we want foreign shirts. We want foreign technology. Why this obsession with everything imported. Do we not realize that self-respect comes with self-reliance? I was in Hyderabad giving this lecture, when a 14 year old girl asked me

for my autograph. I asked her what her goal in life is. She replied: I want to live in a developed India . For her, you and I will have to build this developed India . You must proclaim. India is not an under-developed nation; it is a highly developed nation. Do you have 10 minutes? Allow me to come back with a vengeance. Got 10 minutes for your country? If yes, then read; otherwise, choice is yours. YOU say that our government is inefficient. YOU say that our laws are too old. YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage. YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke.The airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination. YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the absolute pits. YOU say, say and say. What do YOU do about it? Take a person on his way to Singapore . Give him a name - YOURS. Give him a face - YOURS. YOU

walk out of the airport and you are at your International best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground links as they are. You pay $5 (approx. Rs. 60) to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim Causeway or Pedder Road ) between 5 PM and 8 PM. YOU come back to the parking lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity... In Singapore you don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during Ramadan, in Dubai . YOU would not dare to go out without your head covered in Jeddah. YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange in London at 10 pounds (Rs.650) a month to, 'see to it that my STD and ISD calls are billed to someone else.' YOU would not dare to speed beyond 55 mph (88 km/h) in Washington and then tell the

traffic cop,'Jaanta hain main kaun hoon (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son. Take your two bucks and get lost.' YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New Zealand . Why don't YOU spit Pan on the streets of Tokyo ? Why don't YOU use examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston ??? We are still talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system in other countries but cannot in your own.

You who will throw papers and cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian ground.

If you can be an involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country, why cannot you be the same here in India ? Once in an interview, the famous Ex-municipal commissioner of Bombay , Mr. Tinaikar , had a point to make. 'Rich people's dogs are walked on the streets to leave their affluent droppings all over the place,' he said. 'And then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the officers to do?

Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure in his bowels? In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job. Same in Japan . Will the Indian citizen do that here?' He's right. We go to the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility. We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all over the place nor are we going to stop to pick up a stray piece of paper and throw it in the bin. We expect the railways to provide clean bathrooms but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms. We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and toiletries but we are not going to stop

pilfering at the least opportunity. This applies even to the staff that is known not to pass on the service to the public. When it comes to burning social issues like those related to women, dowry, and girl child! And others, we make loud drawing room protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? 'It's the whole system which has to change, how will it matter if I alone forego my sons' rights to a dowry.' So who's going to change the system? What does a system consist of? Very conveniently for us it consists of our neighbors, other households, other cities, other communities and the government. But definitely not me and YOU. When it comes to us actually making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with our families into a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far away and wait for a Mr. Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a majestic sweep of his hand or we

leave the country and run away. Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to England . When England experiences unemployment, we take the next flight out to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out to abuse and rape the country. Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is mortgaged to money. Dear Indians, The article is highly thought inductive, calls for a great deal of introspection and pricks one's conscience too.... I am echoing J. F. Kennedy’s words to his fellow Americans to relate to Indians..... 'ASK WHAT WE CAN DO FOR INDIA AND DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE INDIA WHAT AMERICA AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE TODAY' Lets do what India needs from us. Forward this mail to each Indian for a change instead of sending

Jokes or junk mails. Thank you, Dr. Abdul Kalaam Posted by Dr. Abdul Kalam's Speech in Hyderabad @ 2/26/2008 6:28 PM

Explore your hobbies and interests. Click here to begin.

Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.

Hari OM!

This is a great speech indeed, but the group which this should be

promoted is different not in this elite Guruvayurappan Devotees group,

Moderators please tak care.

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

Dear all,

Radhe kRISHNA!

"Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with

foreign things? We want foreign T. Vs, we want foreign shirts. We want

foreign technology."

This is one question I have always been asking-----------Why are our

markets flooded with chinese and other-country manufactured things

?     Because we as a group are enamored of foreign things and if we

get them a few paise cheaper than the corresponding Indian material, we

prefer to go in for that.     There are very few among us who look for

the "Made in-----" mark and buy things.    Stastionery, toys, clothes,

even a staple is available , imported or smuggled from China.   At this

rate, our Indian industry will go to dogs.

I request one and all to go in only for Indian made goods

Regards

KVG.

Rajesh Menon wrote:

Please read this article by giving 10 minutes from your busy

life. Really good.... ** *

The President of India DR. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam’s

Speech in Hyderabad .  

Ohm Namah Shivaya

No hard feelings Krishna Prasadji

I think before being a devotee we must realise that we are all INDIANS.

Let it be in any group or any place if we are true Indian then there is no problem in putting this type of articles this type of message is in a way to spread a message to keep our country clean and healthy I don’t think there is anything wrong in it.

I believe that all our group members are Indian even though we are all in different places.

By this message of our Ex- President of India I just wanted to spread the message to protect our country and LOVE INDIA.

To all devotees I would like to personally apologies to the group if you feel that this article which was sent by me is something which I must have not sent.

Ohm

Krishna Prasad <krishna.yogaguruvayur Sent: Wednesday, 27 February, 2008 8:17:51 PMRe: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Speech of Dr. A.P.J.. Abdul KalamHari OM!This is a great speech indeed, but the group which this should be promoted is different not in this elite Guruvayurappan Devotees group, Moderators please tak care.With Love & OM!Krishna PrasadOm Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Hari OM!

Dear Rajeshji,

As you said, no Hard feelings at all. Only facts and truths.....

Seen your email, FIRST OF ALL I AM A DEVOTEE OF GURUVAYURAPPAN AND THEN ONLY AN INDIAN....

Most of our group members will agree for that. I am sure about it.

I am A Hindu first rather than Indian. In the name of India, Indians and Patriotism, our great SANATHANA DHARMA (The Hindu religion} is abused. From our religion large number of conversions is happening to other thrid world religions. We need all the cultures in the world to co-exist with peace and Harmony.... not wiping out cultures.... Where is the Greek culture now? where is the Srividya culture {Devi worship} which existed in Europe centuries back.

Everything is destroyed due to conversion. So I am a DEVOTEE, A HINDU and after that only AN INDIAN.

Protect our country???? or Protecting and giving freedom to rule to our so called Politicians who is uneducated and eventhough

educated.... just acting as slaves to white skin??

Hope you are aware of the pseudo secularism of India... for example.

To go to Hajj.. government gives... money to the minority community.

What about 85 % Hindus living in the country??? Do Indian goverment give money to visit Kailas. .. Even to get a permission to enter China, we need to go to New Delhi several times (for Kailas Yatra)What do you say about it. Even to visit Sabarimala there are no free buses!!! as given to people who goes for Hajj.

LIke that there are several issues, in Kerala State alone... all important ministries are with Minority community Ministers from the inception of the Kerala Government.

Please listen to the speech of Sasikala Teacher. if you have time. it might make your eyes open towards various issues, we Hindus face in our country. the link is below

http://www.haindavakeralam.com/audio/Default.aspx?Pageid=5047

There are three speeches listen and become aware of the Truths.

What about Sethu Samudram Project??? so the Bridge supposed to be built by Sri Raman and his army to Lanka is going to be destoryed. What way India is shining???? other than the out sourcing money made by call centers and Software professionals and companies.

Because of the great Indian culture of Tolerance, acceptance and forgiveness, at least our Temples are intact. There is controversy behind famous Hindu Temples and the latest after the Sabarimala controversy is the Aluva Shivarathri (read the full news http://www.haindavakeralam.com/HKPage.aspx?PageID=5651 & SKIN=K)And as Indians we support Atheists to rule our Devoswam board... what a pity.

IF INDIA HAVE TO SHINE , HER CONSTITUTION, POLITICAL SYSTEM, EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM, HAVE TO BE RE-WRITTEN OTHERWISE THE DEVELOPMENT AND IMPROVEMENT WILL REMAIN IN THE SUGAR COATED WORDS OF THE SO CALLED GREATS! WHICH WILL DO NOTHING.. I RESPECT DR.KALAAM AS A GREAT PERSON, BUT OTHER THAN A RUBBER STAMP HE COULD NOT DO ANYTHING DURING HIS TENURE AS PRESIDENT. AND IF MR.T.N.SESHAN IS RECOMMENDED FOR THAT POSITION, ALL INDIAN POLITICIANS WILL OPPOSE WITH ONE VOICE.. WHY ARE THEY AFRAID???.

I HUMBLY SAY THAT I AM A GURUVAYURAPPAN DEVOTEE, AND PRAYING TO HIM TO REMAIN LIKE THAT IN ALL JANMAS IF ANY.

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

On 2/29/08, Rajesh Menon <raj_menon74 wrote:

Ohm Namah Shivaya

No hard feelings Krishna Prasadji

I think before being a devotee we must realise that we are all INDIANS.

Let it be in any group or any place if we are true Indian then there is no problem in putting this type of articles this type of message is in a way to spread a message to keep our country clean and healthy I don’t think there is anything wrong in it.

I believe that all our group members are Indian even though we are all in different places.

By this message of our Ex- President of India I just wanted to spread the message to protect our country and LOVE INDIA.

To all devotees I would like to personally apologies to the group if you feel that this article which was sent by me is something which I must have not sent.

Ohm

Krishna Prasad <krishna.yoga

guruvayur Sent: Wednesday, 27 February, 2008 8:17:51 PMRe: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Speech of Dr. A.P.J.. Abdul Kalam

Hari OM!This is a great speech indeed, but the group which this should be promoted is different not in this elite Guruvayurappan Devotees group, Moderators please tak care.With Love & OM!

Krishna PrasadOm Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Krishna , Gurvayoorappa ! Dear Bhakthas ,

I fully agree with Bramasree Gopalakrishnaji . The advantage of having such `sattvic' Bhakthas in our `satsangam' group is that their advice reflect Bhagavan Krishna's views .

Bhaarat is a divine nation . It is not a mere piece of land like China or USA . It has a sacred culture arising from the divine Vedas . We Vaishnavas are committed to `Sharanaagathi ` . We are living according to Bhagavan Krishna's will and don't have any other choice . Bhagavan is our greatest well wisher and Master .

In Vedic temples , Bhagavan Krishna accepts offerings of Bharathiya origin only. No "Foreign" item is acceptable to Him . For example , foreign fruits like Papaya , Cashew nut , etc are forbidden for Pujas .

As Krishna-bhakthas we are supposed to use Bhaaratheeya items , as much as possible. Our wise ancestors have prescribed many "Dos and Don't's" , which are only for our benefit .

We must learn from the personal examples of such pure Bhakthas like Poonthanam , Kurooramma , Malliyoor Thirumeni , KVG , etc . And not from atheistic "Pandits" and "Namaboothirippads"like Nehru and EMS . Unfortunately , what is hailed as "Modern India" , doesn't reflect the Vedic `Bhaarath' .

May Guruvayoorappan bless you all !!!

Krishnadaya.

--------------------

Guest guest

HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE

__,_.,___

Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.