Dear All,

According to time, we have to change practices also. The thing is we

are ready to change our eating habits, dress code, educational

materials and tools, even attitude. But when it comes to exploiting

the majestic, loyal and loving elephants, we want to stick to our old

traditions! There is no end to our hypocrisy! It was OK to use

elephants for temple processions in the olden days because they were

never used commercially or for making money. Mahouts looked after them

like own children. They had ezhunnallippu only a few days in an year.

They were treated with respect and they treated us with respect. I

have heard so many real life stories about the loyalty of both the

mahouts and elephants. Kootalatupuram Komban was one of them. I myself

had the opportunity to see how well they were treated.During the

Utsava season, no elephant was used for two consecutive days. They

will not commit like that because they were really worried about the

sleep deprivation of the elephants as well as the mahouts.

Now things have changed. It hurts really bad to think how they are

treated. They cannot complain and cry and say no to the authorities.

So they through temper tantrums. Should we be annoyed about that? God

has showered us with all the faculties in the world like thought,

speech and so many other useful and dangerous capabilities and how

many times we humans through temper tantrums and make the lives of

everybody around us miserable? We also kill each other, cheat each

other use all the faculties He gave for wrong purposes. So why are we

upset when an ill treated elephant looses his temper and acts? It is

so sad that all the kindness has dried up from our hearts.

Now what is the solution? Why cannot we use a Ratham instead of

elephant? If it has wheels and motorized it can travel from rich

temples to poor temples with out problem. Or even build a Ratham in

the shape of an elephant with motorized swaying ears and we can use

all the nettippattoms and umbrellas, aalavattom and venchaamaram in

the same way as we are doing now. We can use them day and night with

out worrying about the sleep deprivation and inhuman treatment. I

think Guruvayurappan will be the happiest person if they make that

change because He is the personification of kindness. We do not have

to have a devaprashnam for that. Krishna has showed his kindness so

many times to tell us again and again to be kind and considerate to

all. Why did the Mahabharatha war happen? Because Krishna saw how

unfair and unkind Kauravaas were to Pandavaas. Did not he encourage

Arjuna to fight evil and establish dharmam? How many times

Guruvayurappan made the elephants fight back and kill mahouts and

sadists saying that we have become too business minded and we have to

stop this practice? But we will not listen because when it comes to

somebody else's suffering, that too when the victim cannot speak for

oneself, we want to stick on to traditions! There is nothing more

pathetic than this.

I think the only solution for us is to pray to Guruvayurappan.

I have to tell an incident about how broad minded was my mother who

never went to school, who never locked the front door of her house,

who has never travelled out of the country, who never raised her voice

to anybody. I came to America and we were in Virginia for 18 years.

Once I asked Amma whether I can offer beautiful plastic flowers to

Guruvayurappan because it was almost impossible to get fresh flowers

in winter. My mother said: If you cannot get fresh flowers or if it is

too expensive for you to afford, there is nothing wrong in offering

plastic flowers. ( please note the word " IF " . At that time my husband

was a student and with two small children we literally had a hand to

mouth existence). Please imagine that they are real flowers and offer.

Every evening, sprinkle the offered flowers with water chanting

Narayana naamam and they are as good as fresh flowers again and you

can offer them again the next morning. I did that for several years.

She also added, sankalpam is the most important. Sankaracharyar wrote

maanasa poojas when he had to travel from one end of the country to

the other end spreading Sanathana Dharma and during the journey he

could not even do Sanshyavandanam sometimes because there was no body

of water near by. So he created all the maanasa poojas and imagined he

was doing everything more ceremoniously and offering naivadyam in

diamond studded golden vessels! He did not worry about not having the

necessary conveniences, but imagined that he has everything in

abundance and did his pooja with utmost devotion and respect. So amma

said sankalpam and bhavam are most important when we cannot do it in

the prescribed way. Of course if you can do it traditionally, go ahead

and do it. Otherwise never give up doing because He really cares about

our sincerity. Now even after all the globalization, it is sad that we

do not have the broadmindedness of several of our ancestors! ( now we

are in Texas, a much warmer place and I get fresh flowers through out

the year!)

I do not know writing like this has any meaning. But frustrated and

immensely hurt by watching how the beautiful and innocent elephants

are treated, I am throwing my temper tantrums. Guruvayurappa,

kshamikkane!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM, nbnair2000 <nbnair2000 wrote:

HARI AUM

>

> Sub: ChottanikkaraMakam Thozhal – cruelty to Elephants in the name of God

> and Traditions.

>

> Yes ShriGopalakrishnanji, I do remember your Very, Very touching message No.

> 1502 dated May 1, 2007 in this very Forum " … cruelty to Elephants in the

> name of tradition and God … " and also the comments from our devotees, some

> of which were really very unkind - perhaps they were not directly exposed to

> the actual facts!

>

> A humblerequest to all devotees: Please visit and have Darsan of all those

> 60+ShriGaneshas in the Punnathur Anakotta of Guruvayurappan as well, as part

> of your GuruvayurDarshans. Not only you will get a firsthand information

> about the present condition inwhich they are kept there, but also these

> frequent visits by devotees willcompel the authorities to take propercare

> of these ShriGaneshas.

>

> With Regards,

>

> Yours affly nb nair.

>

> nbnair2000 March 20, 2008.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hare Krishna, Cruelty in the name of God is a very bad practise. respecting the animals and trees is very important as respecting the human beings. what is happening in India if describe all feel shame of entire nation. North some of the states are using men and Children's for ploughing the field and other works. Nari (women) should be respected but no foreigners can freely visit India. When we will wake Up? if that is the case what about the animals? Some of the Film Stars in Kerala is having Elephants for what ? Not because of Love but to evade from the other types of Tax. Very Bad state and pathetic the situation if not raised the voice it will be the situation beyond

worse. With love, SreeSavitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote: Dear All,According to time, we have to change practices also. The thing is weare ready to change our eating habits, dress code, educationalmaterials and tools, even attitude. But when it comes to exploitingthe majestic, loyal and loving elephants, we want to stick to our oldtraditions! There is no end to our hypocrisy! It was OK to useelephants for temple processions in the olden days because they werenever used commercially or for making money. Mahouts looked after themlike own children. They had ezhunnallippu only a few days in an year.They

were treated with respect and they treated us with respect. Ihave heard so many real life stories about the loyalty of both themahouts and elephants. Kootalatupuram Komban was one of them. I myselfhad the opportunity to see how well they were treated.During theUtsava season, no elephant was used for two consecutive days. Theywill not commit like that because they were really worried about thesleep deprivation of the elephants as well as the mahouts.Now things have changed. It hurts really bad to think how they aretreated. They cannot complain and cry and say no to the authorities.So they through temper tantrums. Should we be annoyed about that? Godhas showered us with all the faculties in the world like thought,speech and so many other useful and dangerous capabilities and howmany times we humans through temper tantrums and make the lives ofeverybody around us miserable? We also kill each other, cheat eachother

use all the faculties He gave for wrong purposes. So why are weupset when an ill treated elephant looses his temper and acts? It isso sad that all the kindness has dried up from our hearts.Now what is the solution? Why cannot we use a Ratham instead ofelephant? If it has wheels and motorized it can travel from richtemples to poor temples with out problem. Or even build a Ratham inthe shape of an elephant with motorized swaying ears and we can useall the nettippattoms and umbrellas, aalavattom and venchaamaram inthe same way as we are doing now. We can use them day and night without worrying about the sleep deprivation and inhuman treatment. Ithink Guruvayurappan will be the happiest person if they make thatchange because He is the personification of kindness. We do not haveto have a devaprashnam for that. Krishna has showed his kindness somany times to tell us again and again to be kind and considerate toall. Why

did the Mahabharatha war happen? Because Krishna saw howunfair and unkind Kauravaas were to Pandavaas. Did not he encourageArjuna to fight evil and establish dharmam? How many timesGuruvayurappan made the elephants fight back and kill mahouts andsadists saying that we have become too business minded and we have tostop this practice? But we will not listen because when it comes tosomebody else's suffering, that too when the victim cannot speak foroneself, we want to stick on to traditions! There is nothing morepathetic than this.I think the only solution for us is to pray to Guruvayurappan.I have to tell an incident about how broad minded was my mother whonever went to school, who never locked the front door of her house,who has never travelled out of the country, who never raised her voiceto anybody. I came to America and we were in Virginia for 18 years.Once I asked Amma whether I can offer beautiful plastic

flowers toGuruvayurappan because it was almost impossible to get fresh flowersin winter. My mother said: If you cannot get fresh flowers or if it istoo expensive for you to afford, there is nothing wrong in offeringplastic flowers. ( please note the word"IF". At that time my husbandwas a student and with two small children we literally had a hand tomouth existence). Please imagine that they are real flowers and offer.Every evening, sprinkle the offered flowers with water chantingNarayana naamam and they are as good as fresh flowers again and youcan offer them again the next morning. I did that for several years.She also added, sankalpam is the most important. Sankaracharyar wrotemaanasa poojas when he had to travel from one end of the country tothe other end spreading Sanathana Dharma and during the journey hecould not even do Sanshyavandanam sometimes because there was no bodyof water near by. So he created all the

maanasa poojas and imagined hewas doing everything more ceremoniously and offering naivadyam indiamond studded golden vessels! He did not worry about not having thenecessary conveniences, but imagined that he has everything inabundance and did his pooja with utmost devotion and respect. So ammasaid sankalpam and bhavam are most important when we cannot do it inthe prescribed way. Of course if you can do it traditionally, go aheadand do it. Otherwise never give up doing because He really cares aboutour sincerity. Now even after all the globalization, it is sad that wedo not have the broadmindedness of several of our ancestors! ( now weare in Texas, a much warmer place and I get fresh flowers through outthe year!)I do not know writing like this has any meaning. But frustrated andimmensely hurt by watching how the beautiful and innocent elephantsare treated, I am throwing my temper tantrums.

Guruvayurappa,kshamikkane!Regards and prayersSavitriOn Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM, nbnair2000 wrote:>>>>>>> HARI AUM>> Sub: ChottanikkaraMakam Thozhal – cruelty to Elephants in the name of God> and Traditions.>> Yes ShriGopalakrishnanji, I do remember your Very, Very touching message No.> 1502 dated May 1, 2007 in this very Forum " … cruelty to Elephants in the> name of tradition and God …" and also the comments from our devotees, some> of which were really very unkind - perhaps they were not directly exposed to> the actual facts!>> A humblerequest to all devotees: Please visit and have Darsan of all those> 60+ShriGaneshas in the Punnathur Anakotta of Guruvayurappan as well, as part> of your GuruvayurDarshans. Not only you will get a firsthand information> about

the present condition inwhich they are kept there, but also these> frequent visits by devotees willcompel the authorities to take propercare> of these ShriGaneshas.>> With Regards,>> Yours affly nb nair.>> nbnair2000 March 20, 2008.>>>---Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Dear Mr. Nair,

Thank you for the sincere appreciation. To be honest with you

Annarakkannanum thannalaayathu is the reality. Even a few sand

particles contributed by the squirrels towards building the bridge

pleased Sri Rama. So I am surrendering all my attempts to praise Him

and glorify Him on His Paadaravindam!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:38 AM, NB Nair <nbnair2000 wrote:

HARI AUM

>

> Dear Smt. Savitri Puram,

>

> Thank you very much forone of the most interestingand thought provoking

> posts in this Group.

>

> However,thisone is just a small comment on the lessons you have reported to

> havelearnedfrom your mother who never went to any school. I do find great

> lessonsin thepieces of advice that the society gets from the mothers and

> grandmothers, as Ihad expressed in my MessageNo.8868, in this Forum. The

> richcultural heritage ofany society gets deeply impressed in the minds of

> itschildren through grandmothers strories Pl. click below forready Ref.

> guruvayur/message/8868

>

> Thefact thatyour mother had not gone to any external school simply means she

> wasspendingall her valuable time in one of the greatest Temples of Learning

> inKerala,Olappamanna Mana.

>

> Forthe benefitof fellow devotees: Please see the Temple Travelougue–

> Mammiyur, from ourSunilji. Click below for ready ref. pl.

>

> http://mammiyoor.blogspot.com/

>

>

> Theconceptof SANKALAM and MANASA POOJA are some thing very, very

> important,amazing!

>

> Thisisa wonderful area where Science and Religion harmoniously fuse

> together, complementing each other.

>

> Thankyou onceagain for making these teachings of Sankaracharya, as fondly

> told byyour learned mother for the benefit of fellow devotees.

>

> Yourssincerely, NB Nair.

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Om namo narayanaya Nama, Dear Shri Nairji, Absolutely right.... Manoj Kunniyur. Ours is a close-knitted august Group ofGuruvayurappan devotees. We should befree to exchange our ideas and opinions with out hurting each other – withgreat respect for our learned fellow

devotees. We don't have any hidden agenda: we don't have any thing to hide or wrapunder the carpert. Hence I humblyrequest our learned fellow devotees to come forward with out any sorts ofinhibitions – this is not a public forum – it is as good as a family groupNB Nair <nbnair2000 wrote: HARIAUM DearKrishna Prasadji, Many points you had raised in this post and theearlier one No.8891 are very much relevant. But most of them are beyond our immediate control. However, the problem is not confined only to"The Greedy Elephant Owners", as it is generally said: Pl see the link below where Guruvayur Keertiis involved. ClickHere For the news report on Keerti. Whatis getting crushed under his foot by Keerti was the sole bread winner of somepoor family, till a second back! The problem had assumed too ridiculous proportionsbringing bad name for all those directly or indirectly associated with, likethe Devotees ourselves. I do agree this heinous crime may be committed bymany: the elephant owners, their agents, etc., etc., all for their greed foreasy money. But who gives them thismoney? We, the devotees and no one else. So, we can not wash off our handsfrom this. We are financially supportingall these cruelties though we never intend any of these things to happen, evenin our wildest dreams. Let

us think in what way we can stop or at leastredress to any extend the endless crimes committed to these hapless elephantsand also the poor mahouts alike. Ours is a close-knitted august Group ofGuruvayurappan devotees. We should befree to exchange our ideas and opinions with out hurting each other – withgreat respect for our learned fellow devotees. We don't have any hidden agenda: we don't have any thing to hide or wrapunder the carpert. Hence I humblyrequest our learned fellow devotees to come forward with out any sorts ofinhibitions – this is not a public forum – it is as good as a family group. As a first step, we devotees should make it a pointto

visit Punnathur Ana Kotta as well (at least occasionally) as a part of ourGuruvayurappan and Mammiyur Darsans. SriGanesh will bless us with some ideas. With Regards to all my fellow devotees, Yours sincerely, NB Nair. Gurgaon, March 24, 2008. guruvayur , adidaiveekam <no_reply wrote:>> > Hari OM!> > Dear Ones,> > According to time we need to change, may be applicable to some issues> but for not all issues, Motorised elephants.. it is really funny to note> this. The present

situation in Punnathoor Kotta is the "Bharanam" of the> present atheist politicians, even 3 years back it was fair and nice.> Elephants use to get good treatment, every 15 days an Ayurvedic Doctor> use to examine them.> > The funny part is we ourselves elect people and make them as ministers> and after we realise that it is REALLY bad out there, we will choose> another party and then give them power, then after 5 years> realise....................... this story goes on and on......> Pothujanam Kazhuthayannennu Rastriyakkar parayunnathu shariyanu....> > It is like Bhasmasuran's story.....> > Instead of Motorised elephants, Why can't we control the participation> of Elephants to limited Utsavams, So that we will keep the tradition. IN> THE WHOLE WORLD KERALA IS ONLY THE PLACE WHICH HAVE TEMPLE FESTIVALS> WITH ELEPHANTS! TRADITION IS VERY VERY

IMPORTANT! ESPECIALLY NOWADAYS> THE CONVERSION TIMES... (Nowadays, other communities also started> participating elephants in their mosque/church funcitions)> > Do not compare Adi Shakaracharya with us... that is the funniest thing> one can do. His state of mind and our state of mind is totally> different. like Ocean and small well. It reminds me the story of once> Adi Shankaracharya on his Vijaya Yathra, have to taste alcohol for> tantric purposes... one of his Disciple objected... but the Padmapaadar> said just wait.. for some time, after a week, he entered in to a Gold> smith shop and drank Molten iron...... so never compare people who live> in all comforts with Jagadguru.> > Elephants with adequate care, and rest is one of he Majestic Animals. So> it is man's greed who makes all this issues.> > So you think that there should be nor more Kesvans, and

Padmanabhans????> Control the frstival participation of elephants to the main temples> only!!!! things will be much better.> > Hare Guruvayurappa!> > With Love & OM!> > Krishna Prasad> > > > > > > > > > > > > guruvayur , "Savitri Puram" savitriopuram@> wrote:> >> > Dear All,> >> > According to time, we have to change practices also. The thing is we> > are ready to change our eating habits, dress code, educational> > materials and tools, even attitude. But when it comes to exploiting> > the majestic, loyal and loving elephants, we want to stick to our old> > traditions! There is no end to our hypocrisy! It was OK to use> > elephants for temple processions in the olden days because they were>

> never used commercially or for making money. Mahouts looked after them> > like own children. They had ezhunnallippu only a few days in an year.> > They were treated with respect and they treated us with respect. I> > have heard so many real life stories about the loyalty of both the> > mahouts and elephants. Kootalatupuram Komban was one of them. I myself> > had the opportunity to see how well they were treated.During the> > Utsava season, no elephant was used for two consecutive days. They> > will not commit like that because they were really worried about the> > sleep deprivation of the elephants as well as the mahouts.> >> > Now things have changed. It hurts really bad to think how they are> > treated. They cannot complain and cry and say no to the authorities.> > So they through temper tantrums. Should we be annoyed about that? God> >

has showered us with all the faculties in the world like thought,> > speech and so many other useful and dangerous capabilities and how> > many times we humans through temper tantrums and make the lives of> > everybody around us miserable? We also kill each other, cheat each> > other use all the faculties He gave for wrong purposes. So why are we> > upset when an ill treated elephant looses his temper and acts? It is> > so sad that all the kindness has dried up from our hearts.> >> > Now what is the solution? Why cannot we use a Ratham instead of> > elephant? If it has wheels and motorized it can travel from rich> > temples to poor temples with out problem. Or even build a Ratham in> > the shape of an elephant with motorized swaying ears and we can use> > all the nettippattoms and umbrellas, aalavattom and venchaamaram in> > the same way as we

are doing now. We can use them day and night with> > out worrying about the sleep deprivation and inhuman treatment. I> > think Guruvayurappan will be the happiest person if they make that> > change because He is the personification of kindness. We do not have> > to have a devaprashnam for that. Krishna has showed his kindness so> > many times to tell us again and again to be kind and considerate to> > all. Why did the Mahabharatha war happen? Because Krishna saw how> > unfair and unkind Kauravaas were to Pandavaas. Did not he encourage> > Arjuna to fight evil and establish dharmam? How many times> > Guruvayurappan made the elephants fight back and kill mahouts and> > sadists saying that we have become too business minded and we have to> > stop this practice? But we will not listen because when it comes to> > somebody else's suffering, that too when the

victim cannot speak for> > oneself, we want to stick on to traditions! There is nothing more> > pathetic than this.> >> > I think the only solution for us is to pray to Guruvayurappan.> >> > I have to tell an incident about how broad minded was my mother who> > never went to school, who never locked the front door of her house,> > who has never travelled out of the country, who never raised her voice> > to anybody. I came to America and we were in Virginia for 18 years.> > Once I asked Amma whether I can offer beautiful plastic flowers to> > Guruvayurappan because it was almost impossible to get fresh flowers> > in winter. My mother said: If you cannot get fresh flowers or if it is> > too expensive for you to afford, there is nothing wrong in offering> > plastic flowers. ( please note the word"IF". At that time my husband> >

was a student and with two small children we literally had a hand to> > mouth existence). Please imagine that they are real flowers and offer.> > Every evening, sprinkle the offered flowers with water chanting> > Narayana naamam and they are as good as fresh flowers again and you> > can offer them again the next morning. I did that for several years.> > She also added, sankalpam is the most important. Sankaracharyar wrote> > maanasa poojas when he had to travel from one end of the country to> > the other end spreading Sanathana Dharma and during the journey he> > could not even do Sanshyavandanam sometimes because there was no body> > of water near by. So he created all the maanasa poojas and imagined he> > was doing everything more ceremoniously and offering naivadyam in> > diamond studded golden vessels! He did not worry about not having the> >

necessary conveniences, but imagined that he has everything in> > abundance and did his pooja with utmost devotion and respect. So amma> > said sankalpam and bhavam are most important when we cannot do it in> > the prescribed way. Of course if you can do it traditionally, go ahead> > and do it. Otherwise never give up doing because He really cares about> > our sincerity. Now even after all the globalization, it is sad that we> > do not have the broadmindedness of several of our ancestors! ( now we> > are in Texas, a much warmer place and I get fresh flowers through out> > the year!)> >> > I do not know writing like this has any meaning. But frustrated and> > immensely hurt by watching how the beautiful and innocent elephants> > are treated, I am throwing my temper tantrums. Guruvayurappa,> > kshamikkane!> >> >> >

Regards and prayers> >> > Savitri> >> >> >> >> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM, nbnair2000 nbnair2000@ wrote:> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > HARI AUM> > >> > > Sub: ChottanikkaraMakam Thozhal – cruelty to Elephants in the> name of God> > > and Traditions.> > >> > > Yes ShriGopalakrishnanji, I do remember your Very, Very touching> message No.> > > 1502 dated May 1, 2007 in this very Forum " … cruelty to> Elephants in the> > > name of tradition and God …" and also the comments from our> devotees, some> > > of which were really very unkind - perhaps they were not directly> exposed to> > > the actual facts!> > >> > > A humblerequest

to all devotees: Please visit and have Darsan of all> those> > > 60+ShriGaneshas in the Punnathur Anakotta of Guruvayurappan as well,> as part> > > of your GuruvayurDarshans. Not only you will get a firsthand> information> > > about the present condition inwhich they are kept there, but also> these> > > frequent visits by devotees willcompel the authorities to take> propercare> > > of these ShriGaneshas.> > >> > > With Regards,> > >> > > Yours affly nb nair.> > >> > > nbnair2000@ March 20, 2008.> > >> > >> > >> >>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.