IndiaDivine.org

Srimad Bhagavatham/Dharma/Ammas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya.Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation. Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe all these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India has produced, Swami Vivekananda.

Recognizing these folks does not in any way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that claims "Vasudeiva kutumbakam". On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India, less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last

summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma" (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under the section of "Great Bhaktas".Thanks,Veena.adidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Narayanas in Masks, Our Sanatana Dharmam proclaims that the goal of humanbirth is to get out of the cycle of births and deaths.The Vedas, Upanishads, and Puranas and all conceivablereligious literature lay stress on this purpose ofhuman birth. To attain or reach such goal, several ways have beenprescribed; for instance, Srimad Bhagavat Gita, which is acompendium of the dialogue between Lord Krishna andArjuna on the battle field of Kurukshetram, says that Karmam, Jnanam and Bhakti are the three principal ways of reaching the

goal of human birth. In practice, we find that it is rather difficult, nay,impossible to tread any of the three paths statedabove, having regard to the materialistic way of lifebeing lived and adopted by us. In such a situation arewe helpless? Is there no way of redemption for us? Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji advises us that there isindeed a solution which can be followed by one andall. His Holiness, who has Himself attained the EternalBliss of Communion with the Lord, prescribes thereading of Srimad Bhagavatam as a panacea for ourimmediate problems of life and also as a path forattaining the goal of human birth. Om Namo Narayanaya.Group website:

http://www.guruvayoor.com/Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

omnamonarayana....omnamashivaya....ammenarayana..."Veena A. Nair" <veeus18 wrote: Om Namo Narayanaya.Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation. Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's

institutes. Maybe all these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in any way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal or public reasons, does not befit the

children of a religion that claims "Vasudeiva kutumbakam". On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India, less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma" (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members on some of the woman saints of India for the next several

issues of Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under the section of "Great Bhaktas".Thanks,Veena.adidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Narayanas in Masks, Our Sanatana Dharmam proclaims that the goal of humanbirth is to get out of the cycle of births and deaths.The Vedas, Upanishads, and Puranas and all conceivablereligious literature lay stress on this purpose ofhuman birth. To attain or reach such goal, several ways have beenprescribed; for instance, Srimad Bhagavat Gita, which is acompendium of the dialogue between

Lord Krishna andArjuna on the battle field of Kurukshetram, says that Karmam, Jnanam and Bhakti are the three principal ways of reaching the goal of human birth. In practice, we find that it is rather difficult, nay,impossible to tread any of the three paths statedabove, having regard to the materialistic way of lifebeing lived and adopted by us. In such a situation arewe helpless? Is there no way of redemption for us? Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji advises us that there isindeed a solution which can be followed by one andall. His Holiness, who has Himself attained the EternalBliss of Communion with the Lord, prescribes thereading of Srimad Bhagavatam as a

panacea for ourimmediate problems of life and also as a path forattaining the goal of human birth.Om Namo Narayanaya.Group website: http://www.guruvayoor.com/Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

Hari OM!

Dear Veenaji.

First of all, Thanks for your appreciation for the postings.

And to the subject... There is no men or Women in a Saint.. A Saint is a Saint that is it... I recollect there was one Swami who uses the name as Dr.Swami.... So what is the use of saying He/She is a saint when all this pre-qualifications are attached.

The Ammachi whom I was mentioning about is Mata Amritanandamayi Devi of Vallikkavu. Kollam http://www.ammachi.org , I too heard about other Avadootha Ammachi.. near Kanyakumari... often Poojya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji use to visit. She is like Shirddi Saibaba, just gives speeches...and wherever she can live she lives, I do not know much about her. And again a Saint is a Saint only. (full stop).

We have in Kerala itself lot of sages and saints... like Poojya Gurudev, Sri Narayana Guru, Sri Chattambi Swamigal, Swami Tapovanam.. Ammachi.. In Tamilnadu. Swami Sivananda, Swami Dayanada Saraswathi (Arsha Vidya Gurukulam) Sri Sri Ravi Shankarji of (AOL) etc.. etc...

Then Sound is the primordial.. in Creation, We have been named by our Parents (GOD's) name, so that people will remember when we call them...(but now adays names are like Pinky, Chunky, Chukoo, makoo... etc etc which does not have any meaing... and no significance, the present generation also acts that way as their names) so Please do not abbreivate anyones name and call it, and again add ji to it.. no meaning actually......

The Three modes of speech.. sayings of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

So long as the bee does not sit on the flower, it buzzes. When it has begun to sip the honey, it is quiet. Sometimes, however, after drinking its fill, it hums out of sheer joy.When a pitcher is dipped into a pond, it makes a gurgling noise. When full, it makes no more sound. But if the water is poured into another pitcher, again there is soundby Shri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

I cannot call him as RKPji... because there is no meaning. for abbrevation. in Art of Living also... people write JGD.... no meaning they have to call.. JAI GURU DEV! Then only some meaing. and these are the basic things one need to understand and practice... And your name Veena.... is the instrument used by Godess Saraswathi... Veena-ji with respect.. If some one call you Vji.. there is no meaning at all.... This abbreviation thought itself is injected by the invaders of India, we need to move away from that mental block.

I did not appreciate whatever you say about the Christian Mother.. who you have best regards... may be true, but we have our own saints, first try to learn their teachings and practice it than taking mircrowaved knowledge. Once. I have heard an interview of Padmabhushan Dr.K.J.Yesudas, the questioner was asking .. like, What do you say about people singing your own songs.. by Karaoke, and other BGMs, He replied, "FRESH FOOD HAVE ITS OWN TASTE AND NUTIRION .. BUT THE FOOD WHICH IS MICROWAVED(OR REHEATED) AFTER SO MANY DAYS HAVE ITS OWN QUALITY ONLY! What we are doing now is..Teachings of Our Own Saints and Sages, have no signficance and it is all, Blind belief and foolishness. But if a Mother from other caste takes our own scriptural words and polish it with English language You and I appreciate it.. and particularly if it is coming from a White skin lady ... Lo! wah wah wah.. I do not understand the logic.. behind it... For a Kathopanishad class (only one Chapter) in Harvard University, we need to pay US$4000/-, at the same time, our Saints and Sages along with real life examples are ready to take it as FREE.. We dont want to listen... Whatever is happening in India.. is the result of this attitude..

Hare Guruvayurappa!

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" <veeus18 wrote:>> Om Namo Narayanaya.> Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation. > > > Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe all these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in any way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who> spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that claims "Vasudeiva kutumbakam". > > On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India, less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma" (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under> the section of "Great Bhaktas".> > Thanks,> Veena.>

Guest guest

Bhagavadgita 5.18vidya-vinaya-sampannebrahmane gavi hastinisuni caiva sva-pake capanditah sama-darsinahThe wise one, by virtue of true knowledge, sees with equal vision a learned and gentle brahmana, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater [outcaste].Madhvacarya's Commentary Even though there are external differences in the forms among embodied beings including humans, aquatics, animals and plants, the Supreme Lord Krishna is ever present in each and every being as a witness energising them all as the Supreme Soul and from whom a minuscule portion comprises the eternal individual soul. Ramanuja's Commentary The name Brahmana refers to the saintly and spiritual class in India possessed of moral conduct and Vedic knowledge. The mention along with them of a cow, an elephant, a dog and an outcaste person who eats dog is to illustrate the great differences in the physical bodies of all the various species of life in which the embodied atma or soul resides in.Swami Chinmayananda The wise cannot but see and recognize the same presence of divinity everywhere. The ocean has no difference in feeling for different waves. .....perfection is not a Godly idealism to be experienced after death, in a specialized world beyond the clouds. This goal can be achieved in this life, in the here and now, in this very body among the material worldly objects, and one can live in the consciousness of God, evolving oneself from the immaturities of a deluded ego-sense.adidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Veenaji. First of all, Thanks for your appreciation for the postings............. .......I did not appreciate whatever you say about the Christian Mother.. who you have best regards... may be true, but we have our own saints, first try to learn their teachings and practice it than taking mircrowaved knowledge. Once. I have heard an interview of Padmabhushan Dr.K.J.Yesudas, the questioner was asking .. like, What do you say about people singing your own songs.. by Karaoke, and other BGMs, He replied, "FRESH FOOD HAVE ITS OWN TASTE AND NUTIRION .. BUT THE FOOD WHICH IS MICROWAVED(OR REHEATED) AFTER SO MANY DAYS HAVE

ITS OWN QUALITY ONLY! What we are doing now is..Teachings of Our Own Saints and Sages, have no signficance and it is all, Blind belief and foolishness. But if a Mother from other caste takes our own scriptural words and polish it with English language You and I appreciate it.. and particularly if it is coming from a White skin lady ... Lo! wah wah wah.. I do not understand the logic.. behind it... For a Kathopanishad class (only one Chapter) in Harvard University, we need to pay US$4000/-, at the same time, our Saints and Sages along with real life examples are ready to take it as FREE.. We dont want to listen... Whatever is happening in India.. is the result of this attitude.. Hare Guruvayurappa! With Love & OM! Krishna

Prasad guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" <veeus18 wrote:>> Om Namo Narayanaya.> Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation. > > > Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe all these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who was more similar to

Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in any way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who> spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that claims "Vasudeiva kutumbakam". > > On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed the Tamil Nadu and Kerala

governments what strong faith and willpower can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India, less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma" (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under> the section of "Great Bhaktas".> > Thanks,> Veena.> Om Namo Narayanaya.Group website: http://www.guruvayoor.com/Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Hari OM!

This is a beautiful Srimad Bhagawad Geetha Verse.. But this is only for people who attained that spiritual stage... this is not for the devotees.. who is striving in this world for material and money possesions...In vyvahar, if you consider everything as same.... If they practice this it will be a havoc... total havoc... AND OF COURSE THIS VERSE SHOULD BE PRACTICED WHILE WE DO MEDITATION... (AS VEDANTIC STUDENTS).

And of course, Dwaita, Visishtadvaita, and Advaita... together... wonderful.. Which one we will select.. A really wise one never have any difference between the three. but for a Vedantic Student in the path of study... only choose one!.. otherwise it is not wise.

This is a beautiful reference article for the people who think they are leaders! Hope this shows some light. Written by Poojya Gurudev!

In every organization-political, industrial or commercial, secular or sacred-the real fire is supplied and maintained by its leader. He is the captain, the one in the top cabin who steers the ship and has, due to his position, a better vision than those who sweat and labour in the belly of the ship, in its machine room.

The leader must have vision, and yet a visionary can never be a leader. The leader must see ahead and at a safe speed steer clear of all obstacles and put the sails up in the most advantageous winds and take the ship under his command to the required harbour.

A true leader should give his serious attention continuously to fostering a spirit of teamwork. Selfishness in team members breaks the spirit of collectivity and there soon arise personal groups, based on caste or creed or 'native place' whose narrow interests bring continuous conflicts into the organization.

.. When we look around, with scientific detachment, we clearly see three main types of organization:

1) An institution based entirely upon the power, strength or wealth of the executives. They dictate to everyone and often such institutions grow and quickly expand. These are autocratic institutions. The person at the top soon gets a crazy sense of self-importance, and his arrogant attitudes and dictatorial efforts are felt by the others below as insufferable tyranny. The institution crumbles!

2) The second type of organization is what is very popular with people of our times--often heard of but rarely seen-the democratic institutions. Here the organization is created to fulfill certain demands and desires of its members, and so long as the members are satisfied they limp on making a lot of noise but really accomplishing nothing great, except, of course, satisfying the demands of the members. The moment a fair section of the members are dissatisfied, the organization crumbles. It gets destroyed by its own few dissatisfied members: enemies within plan and destroy it.

3) All long-surviving institutions are organized upon the basis of mutual love and respect for the leader, a sense of reverence for the very programme for which the institution works. Here the organization is based upon harmony. This sense of harmony and cohesiveness can arise only when all members are truly inspired with the goal set up by the institution and work dedicatedly to achieve it. Such organizations alone can stand firm against all strains from without, because within them they have a team of strong members holding together and functioning as many hands but as one head-and-heart.

The members, office-bearers and executives of such an organization work in a single spirit of joyous excitement, from which unity of purpose, tireless enthusiasm, cheerful pursuit and such other virtues arise. This is referred to in the Gita as Karma- Yoga ­functioning in the yajna spirit. It is ego and its selfish desires in our hearts that compel us to break the homogeneous harmony and the joyful rhythm in the day-to-day working of the institution. Unless the members are dedicated to the idea for which the institution strives, the best in them cannot stream forth to enrich the total achievement of the institution.

What we have so far discussed gives us a clue to understanding the causes behind the continuous progress of a flourishing institution, which undertakes stupendous tasks and spreads great blessings all around for its members and for the community as a whole.

A mere volume of rules or some spectacular performance by an individual (or individuals) in an organization cannot by themselves help the organization to serve the community for a long time. And when that organization serves and manages only for profit, the institution never survives for any length of time. Like weeds they spread and flourish and are gone with the seasonal rains. There must be a unison of objectives and ideas. Each must know what they are collectively striving to achieve and in that great scheme of achievement, which exactly is the part each is responsible for.

If an individual's objective or idea is got in unison with the organization, he will be very unhappy and if he is not booted out unceremoniously he may wreck the melody of work within the institution. If the objectives and ideas of the members are harmonious with the aims and objects of the institution, the place becomes a temple of joy-in-work and the result can be seen as blessings upon all.

In many institutions discord starts mainly due to lack of proper and effective communication. It is indeed a delicate art. Secretive manipulations spread fears and discontent, but too open a system of communication is also dangerous for the growth of an organization.

The Panchatantra beautifully expresses this art of communication.

It says:

Some things a man must say to his wife. Some to his friends; some to his sons.

All these are trusted people, but, he should never tell everything to everyone!

We must, therefore, use our discrimination at all times in communicating information. Never put your foot in your mouth!

---PUJYA GURUDEV SWAMI CHINMAYANANDA

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" <veeus18 wrote:>> Bhagavadgita 5.18> vidya-vinaya-sampanne> brahmane gavi hastini> suni caiva sva-pake ca> panditah sama-darsinah> The wise one, by virtue of true knowledge, sees with equal vision a learned and gentle brahmana, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater [outcaste].> > > Madhvacarya's Commentary> Even though there are external differences in the forms among embodied beings including humans, aquatics, animals and plants, the Supreme Lord Krishna is ever present in each and every being as a witness energising them all as the Supreme Soul and from whom a minuscule portion comprises the eternal individual soul.> Ramanuja's Commentary> The name Brahmana refers to the saintly and spiritual class in India possessed of moral conduct and Vedic knowledge. The mention along with them of a cow, an elephant, a dog and an outcaste person who eats dog is to illustrate the great differences in the physical bodies of all the various species of life in which the embodied atma or soul resides in.> > Swami Chinmayananda> > The wise cannot but see and recognize the same presence of divinity everywhere. The ocean has no difference in feeling for different waves. .....perfection is not a Godly idealism to be experienced after death, in a specialized world beyond the clouds. This goal can be achieved in this life, in the here and now, in this very body among the material worldly objects, and one can live in the consciousness of God, evolving oneself from the immaturities of a deluded ego-sense.> > > adidaiveekam no_reply wrote: > Hari OM!> Dear Veenaji.> First of all, Thanks for your appreciation for the postings.............> .......I did not appreciate whatever you say about the Christian Mother.. who you have best regards... may be true, but we have our own saints, first try to learn their teachings and practice it than taking mircrowaved knowledge. Once. I have heard an interview of Padmabhushan Dr.K.J.Yesudas, the questioner was asking .. like, What do you say about people singing your own songs.. by Karaoke, and other BGMs, He replied, "FRESH FOOD HAVE ITS OWN TASTE AND NUTIRION .. BUT THE FOOD WHICH IS MICROWAVED(OR REHEATED) AFTER SO MANY DAYS HAVE ITS OWN QUALITY ONLY! What we are doing now is..Teachings of Our Own Saints and Sages, have no signficance and it is all, Blind belief and foolishness. But if a Mother from other caste takes our own scriptural words and polish it with English language You and I appreciate it.. and particularly if it is coming from a White skin lady ... Lo! wah wah wah.. I do not understand the logic.. behind it... For a Kathopanishad class (only one> Chapter) in Harvard University, we need to pay US$4000/-, at the same time, our Saints and Sages along with real life examples are ready to take it as FREE.. We dont want to listen... Whatever is happening in India.. is the result of this attitude.. > Hare Guruvayurappa!> With Love & OM!> Krishna Prasad> > > > > > guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" veeus18@ wrote:> >> > Om Namo Narayanaya.> > Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation. > > > > > > Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe all these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in any way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar, Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who> > spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that claims "Vasudeiva kutumbakam". > > > > On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India, less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma" (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under> > the section of "Great Bhaktas".> > > > Thanks,> > Veena.> > > > > > > > > Om Namo Narayanaya.> Group website: http://www.guruvayoor.com/> Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham> > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

Guest guest

HARI AUM Dear KrishnaPrasadji,You have an excellent way ofpresentation! Again I am reminded of myfavourite "grand mothers"! You started (your message No. 8988) with"... this is not for the devotees…" - a standard technique of a grand mother! And being a devotee, I started reading itwith more attention, all in one go. Itis really a wonderful post. I feelimmensely benefited. Thanks a lot!As prelude to the main article you have againmentioned: "This is a beautiful referencearticle - (Wiritten by Poojya Gurudev –Swami Chinmayamanda) for the people who think they are leaders!" Then I had a thought: "If it is only for theleaders and not for the ordinary devotees, like me, "why Krishna Prasadji hadposted it here? Is there not a leader inme too? Or else who is taking care of me- the self? Can I call it the Swa-Kshetrawhere the Dharma Yudh takes place all the time (as learned from the lectures ofthe Swamiji)? Am I not the leaderthere? Of course I can escape allresponsibilities, saying that I am only a remote controlled toy in the hands ofthe Paramatman and I do not have to bother about any self improvement (imbibe theseleadership qualities). And if I refuseto respond to the remote signals from my Master, then even He can not help me. I can remain blaming the leaders - politicalor social - who do not follow these golden leadership rules!So, my point is we should strive to achievewhatever possible, however small it may be, within our capacity, under thegiven circumstances with out waiting for others to do it in a bigger way (whichis not in our control). I hope, this iswhat Krishna Prasadji also intends by posting this article in this Forum ofDevotees.Thanking you once again, and with warmregards to all fellow devotees,Yours affectionately NBNair. Gurgaon March 25, 2008.PS. While on this write-up I received a phone from a friend. During our chat he told me of a very "funny"remark by his grand son, 6 yr old Pranav. I too had a hearty laughter. Andthen I realised that that funny comment wasnothing but a signal that we should not ignore - what Krishna Prasadji waswriting about many times, emphacising the fact that our rich culture and traditionsare getting eroded right under our lazy eyes! Let me re-read some of those posts from you and then shall share that"FUNNY" comment of Pranav with you. – nbn. guruvayur , adidaiveekam <no_reply wrote:>> > Hari OM!> > This is a beautiful Srimad Bhagawad Geetha Verse.. But this is only for> people who attained that spiritual stage... this is not for the> devotees.. who is striving in this world for material and money> possesions...In vyvahar, if you consider everything as same.... If they> practice this it will be a havoc... total havoc... AND OF COURSE THIS> VERSE SHOULD BE PRACTICED WHILE WE DO MEDITATION... (AS VEDANTIC> STUDENTS).> > And of course, Dwaita, Visishtadvaita, and Advaita... together...> wonderful.. Which one we will select.. A really wise one never have any> difference between the three. but for a Vedantic Student in the path of> study... only choose one!.. otherwise it is not wise.> > This is a beautiful reference article for the people who think they are> leaders! Hope this shows some light. Written by Poojya Gurudev!> > In every organization-political, industrial or commercial, secular or> sacred-the real fire is supplied and maintained by its leader. He is the> captain, the one in the top cabin who steers the ship and has, due to> his position, a better vision than those who sweat and labour in the> belly of the ship, in its machine room.> > The leader must have vision, and yet a visionary can never be a leader.> The leader must see ahead and at a safe speed steer clear of all> obstacles and put the sails up in the most advantageous winds and take> the ship under his command to the required harbour.> > A true leader should give his serious attention continuously to> fostering a spirit of teamwork. Selfishness in team members breaks the> spirit of collectivity and there soon arise personal groups, based on> caste or creed or 'native place' whose narrow interests bring continuous> conflicts into the organization.> > . When we look around, with scientific detachment, we clearly see three> main types of organization:> > 1) An institution based entirely upon the power, strength or wealth of> the executives. They dictate to everyone and often such institutions> grow and quickly expand. These are autocratic institutions. The person> at the top soon gets a crazy sense of self-importance, and his arrogant> attitudes and dictatorial efforts are felt by the others below as> insufferable tyranny. The institution crumbles!> > 2) The second type of organization is what is very popular with people> of our times--often heard of but rarely seen-the democratic> institutions. Here the organization is created to fulfill certain> demands and desires of its members, and so long as the members are> satisfied they limp on making a lot of noise but really accomplishing> nothing great, except, of course, satisfying the demands of the members.> The moment a fair section of the members are dissatisfied, the> organization crumbles. It gets destroyed by its own few dissatisfied> members: enemies within plan and destroy it.> > 3) All long-surviving institutions are organized upon the basis of> mutual love and respect for the leader, a sense of reverence for the> very programme for which the institution works. Here the organization is> based upon harmony. This sense of harmony and cohesiveness can arise> only when all members are truly inspired with the goal set up by the> institution and work dedicatedly to achieve it. Such organizations alone> can stand firm against all strains from without, because within them> they have a team of strong members holding together and functioning as> many hands but as one head-and-heart.> > The members, office-bearers and executives of such an organization work> in a single spirit of joyous excitement, from which unity of purpose,> tireless enthusiasm, cheerful pursuit and such other virtues arise. This> is referred to in the Gita as Karma- Yoga ­functioning in the yajna> spirit. It is ego and its selfish desires in our hearts that compel us> to break the homogeneous harmony and the joyful rhythm in the day-to-day> working of the institution. Unless the members are dedicated to the idea> for which the institution strives, the best in them cannot stream forth> to enrich the total achievement of the institution.> > What we have so far discussed gives us a clue to understanding the> causes behind the continuous progress of a flourishing institution,> which undertakes stupendous tasks and spreads great blessings all around> for its members and for the community as a whole.> > A mere volume of rules or some spectacular performance by an individual> (or individuals) in an organization cannot by themselves help the> organization to serve the community for a long time. And when that> organization serves and manages only for profit, the institution never> survives for any length of time. Like weeds they spread and flourish and> are gone with the seasonal rains. There must be a unison of objectives> and ideas. Each must know what they are collectively striving to achieve> and in that great scheme of achievement, which exactly is the part each> is responsible for.> > If an individual's objective or idea is got in unison with the> organization, he will be very unhappy and if he is not booted out> unceremoniously he may wreck the melody of work within the institution.> If the objectives and ideas of the members are harmonious with the aims> and objects of the institution, the place becomes a temple of> joy-in-work and the result can be seen as blessings upon all.> > In many institutions discord starts mainly due to lack of proper and> effective communication. It is indeed a delicate art. Secretive> manipulations spread fears and discontent, but too open a system of> communication is also dangerous for the growth of an organization.> > The Panchatantra beautifully expresses this art of communication.> > It says:> > Some things a man must say to his wife. Some to his friends; some to his> sons.> > All these are trusted people, but, he should never tell everything to> everyone!> > We must, therefore, use our discrimination at all times in communicating> information. Never put your foot in your mouth!> > ---PUJYA GURUDEV SWAMI CHINMAYANANDA> > With Love & OM!> > Krishna Prasad> > > guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" veeus18@ wrote:> >> > Bhagavadgita 5.18> > vidya-vinaya-sampanne> > brahmane gavi hastini> > suni caiva sva-pake ca> > panditah sama-darsinah> > The wise one, by virtue of true knowledge, sees with equal vision a> learned and gentle brahmana, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater> [outcaste].> >> >> > Madhvacarya's Commentary> > Even though there are external differences in the forms among embodied> beings including humans, aquatics, animals and plants, the Supreme Lord> Krishna is ever present in each and every being as a witness energising> them all as the Supreme Soul and from whom a minuscule portion comprises> the eternal individual soul.> > Ramanuja's Commentary> > The name Brahmana refers to the saintly and spiritual class in India> possessed of moral conduct and Vedic knowledge. The mention along with> them of a cow, an elephant, a dog and an outcaste person who eats dog is> to illustrate the great differences in the physical bodies of all the> various species of life in which the embodied atma or soul resides in.> >> > Swami Chinmayananda> >> > The wise cannot but see and recognize the same presence of divinity> everywhere. The ocean has no difference in feeling for different waves.> .....perfection is not a Godly idealism to be experienced after death,> in a specialized world beyond the clouds. This goal can be achieved in> this life, in the here and now, in this very body among the material> worldly objects, and one can live in the consciousness of God, evolving> oneself from the immaturities of a deluded ego-sense.> >> >> > adidaiveekam no_reply wrote:> > Hari OM!> > Dear Veenaji.> > First of all, Thanks for your appreciation for the> postings.............> > .......I did not appreciate whatever you say about the Christian> Mother.. who you have best regards... may be true, but we have our own> saints, first try to learn their teachings and practice it than taking> mircrowaved knowledge. Once. I have heard an interview of Padmabhushan> Dr.K.J.Yesudas, the questioner was asking .. like, What do you say about> people singing your own songs.. by Karaoke, and other BGMs, He replied,> "FRESH FOOD HAVE ITS OWN TASTE AND NUTIRION .. BUT THE FOOD WHICH IS> MICROWAVED(OR REHEATED) AFTER SO MANY DAYS HAVE ITS OWN QUALITY ONLY!> What we are doing now is..Teachings of Our Own Saints and Sages, have no> signficance and it is all, Blind belief and foolishness. But if a Mother> from other caste takes our own scriptural words and polish it with> English language You and I appreciate it.. and particularly if it is> coming from a White skin lady ... Lo! wah wah wah.. I do not understand> the logic.. behind it... For a Kathopanishad class (only one> > Chapter) in Harvard University, we need to pay US$4000/-, at the same> time, our Saints and Sages along with real life examples are ready to> take it as FREE.. We dont want to listen... Whatever is happening in> India.. is the result of this attitude..> > Hare Guruvayurappa!> > With Love & OM!> > Krishna Prasad> >> >> >> >> >> > guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" veeus18@ wrote:> > >> > > Om Namo Narayanaya.> > > Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would post> more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual treasures> our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy on> other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the provocation.> > >> > >> > > Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work is> in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe all> these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all of> these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe> Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention than> any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who> was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as far> as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of> her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India> has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in any> way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai Holkar,> Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of a> life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions on> the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who> > > spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by personal> or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that claims> "Vasudeiva kutumbakam".> > >> > > On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about> Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous appreciation> for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed> the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower> can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India,> less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the person> you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last> summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under> Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other "Amma"> (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it> would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a very> nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned members> on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of> Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included under> > > the section of "Great Bhaktas".> > >> > > Thanks,> > > Veena.> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Om Namo Narayanaya.> > Group website: http://www.guruvayoor.com/> > Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham> >> > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.> >>

Guest guest

HARI AUMsub: How our culture drains off!Dear All,Shri Krishan Prasadji and many other fellow devotees had mentioned about our culture getting eroded due to whatsoever reasons it maybe. Here is a very FUNNY incident that I take as a serious signal, pointing to this fact. The other day afriend of mine presented a book on Mahatma Gandhi to his 6 year old grand son,Pranav, coming from an aristocratic family in Trissur, the Cultural Capital ofKerala. My friend pointed out a pictureof Gandhiji on the cover page and told Pranav, "look, you should read this book to know more about him". Prompt came thereply: "O! I know him. He had acted in Munna Bhai's film".He was referring to a film, Gandhi Giri, by Munna Bhai (SanjayDutt). What an irony!Regards,NB Nair.guruvayur , "NB Nair" <nbnair2000 wrote:>> > HARI AUM> > Dear KrishnaPrasadji,> > You have an excellent way ofpresentation! Again I am reminded of> myfavourite "grand mothers"!> > You started (your message No. 8988) with"... this is not for the> devotees…" - a standard technique of a grand mother! And being a> devotee, I started reading itwith more attention, all in one go. Itis> really a wonderful post. I feelimmensely benefited. Thanks a lot!> > As prelude to the main article you have againmentioned: "This is a> beautiful referencearticle - (Wiritten by Poojya Gurudev –Swami> Chinmayamanda) for the people who think they are leaders!" Then I had a> thought: "If it is only for theleaders and not for the ordinary> devotees, like me, "why Krishna Prasadji hadposted it here? Is> there not a leader inme too? Or else who is taking care of me- the> self? Can I call it the Swa-Kshetrawhere the Dharma Yudh takes place> all the time (as learned from the lectures ofthe Swamiji)? Am I not the> leaderthere? Of course I can escape allresponsibilities, saying that I> am only a remote controlled toy in the hands ofthe Paramatman and I do> not have to bother about any self improvement (imbibe theseleadership> qualities). And if I refuseto respond to the remote signals from my> Master, then even He can not help me. I can remain blaming the leaders> - politicalor social - who do not follow these golden leadership rules!> > So, my point is we should strive to achievewhatever possible, however> small it may be, within our capacity, under thegiven circumstances with> out waiting for others to do it in a bigger way (whichis not in our> control). I hope, this iswhat Krishna Prasadji also intends by posting> this article in this Forum ofDevotees.> > Thanking you once again, and with warmregards to all fellow devotees,> > Yours affectionately NBNair. Gurgaon March 25, 2008.> > PS. While on this write-up I received a phone from a friend. During our> chat he told me of a very "funny"remark by his grand son, 6 yr> old Pranav. I too had a hearty laughter. Andthen I realised that that> funny comment wasnothing but a signal that we should not ignore - what> Krishna Prasadji waswriting about many times, emphacising the fact that> our rich culture and traditionsare getting eroded right under our lazy> eyes! Let me re-read some of those posts from you and then shall share> that"FUNNY" comment of Pranav with you. – nbn.> > > > guruvayur , adidaiveekam no_reply@ wrote:> >> >> > Hari OM!> >> > This is a beautiful Srimad Bhagawad Geetha Verse.. But this is only> for> > people who attained that spiritual stage... this is not for the> > devotees.. who is striving in this world for material and money> > possesions...In vyvahar, if you consider everything as same.... If> they> > practice this it will be a havoc... total havoc... AND OF COURSE THIS> > VERSE SHOULD BE PRACTICED WHILE WE DO MEDITATION... (AS VEDANTIC> > STUDENTS).> >> > And of course, Dwaita, Visishtadvaita, and Advaita... together...> > wonderful.. Which one we will select.. A really wise one never have> any> > difference between the three. but for a Vedantic Student in the path> of> > study... only choose one!.. otherwise it is not wise.> >> > This is a beautiful reference article for the people who think they> are> > leaders! Hope this shows some light. Written by Poojya Gurudev!> >> > In every organization-political, industrial or commercial, secular or> > sacred-the real fire is supplied and maintained by its leader. He is> the> > captain, the one in the top cabin who steers the ship and has, due to> > his position, a better vision than those who sweat and labour in the> > belly of the ship, in its machine room.> >> > The leader must have vision, and yet a visionary can never be a> leader.> > The leader must see ahead and at a safe speed steer clear of all> > obstacles and put the sails up in the most advantageous winds and take> > the ship under his command to the required harbour.> >> > A true leader should give his serious attention continuously to> > fostering a spirit of teamwork. Selfishness in team members breaks the> > spirit of collectivity and there soon arise personal groups, based on> > caste or creed or 'native place' whose narrow interests bring> continuous> > conflicts into the organization.> >> > . When we look around, with scientific detachment, we clearly see> three> > main types of organization:> >> > 1) An institution based entirely upon the power, strength or wealth of> > the executives. They dictate to everyone and often such institutions> > grow and quickly expand. These are autocratic institutions. The person> > at the top soon gets a crazy sense of self-importance, and his> arrogant> > attitudes and dictatorial efforts are felt by the others below as> > insufferable tyranny. The institution crumbles!> >> > 2) The second type of organization is what is very popular with people> > of our times--often heard of but rarely seen-the democratic> > institutions. Here the organization is created to fulfill certain> > demands and desires of its members, and so long as the members are> > satisfied they limp on making a lot of noise but really accomplishing> > nothing great, except, of course, satisfying the demands of the> members.> > The moment a fair section of the members are dissatisfied, the> > organization crumbles. It gets destroyed by its own few dissatisfied> > members: enemies within plan and destroy it.> >> > 3) All long-surviving institutions are organized upon the basis of> > mutual love and respect for the leader, a sense of reverence for the> > very programme for which the institution works. Here the organization> is> > based upon harmony. This sense of harmony and cohesiveness can arise> > only when all members are truly inspired with the goal set up by the> > institution and work dedicatedly to achieve it. Such organizations> alone> > can stand firm against all strains from without, because within them> > they have a team of strong members holding together and functioning as> > many hands but as one head-and-heart.> >> > The members, office-bearers and executives of such an organization> work> > in a single spirit of joyous excitement, from which unity of purpose,> > tireless enthusiasm, cheerful pursuit and such other virtues arise.> This> > is referred to in the Gita as Karma- Yoga ­functioning in the yajna> > spirit. It is ego and its selfish desires in our hearts that compel us> > to break the homogeneous harmony and the joyful rhythm in the> day-to-day> > working of the institution. Unless the members are dedicated to the> idea> > for which the institution strives, the best in them cannot stream> forth> > to enrich the total achievement of the institution.> >> > What we have so far discussed gives us a clue to understanding the> > causes behind the continuous progress of a flourishing institution,> > which undertakes stupendous tasks and spreads great blessings all> around> > for its members and for the community as a whole.> >> > A mere volume of rules or some spectacular performance by an> individual> > (or individuals) in an organization cannot by themselves help the> > organization to serve the community for a long time. And when that> > organization serves and manages only for profit, the institution never> > survives for any length of time. Like weeds they spread and flourish> and> > are gone with the seasonal rains. There must be a unison of objectives> > and ideas. Each must know what they are collectively striving to> achieve> > and in that great scheme of achievement, which exactly is the part> each> > is responsible for.> >> > If an individual's objective or idea is got in unison with the> > organization, he will be very unhappy and if he is not booted out> > unceremoniously he may wreck the melody of work within the> institution.> > If the objectives and ideas of the members are harmonious with the> aims> > and objects of the institution, the place becomes a temple of> > joy-in-work and the result can be seen as blessings upon all.> >> > In many institutions discord starts mainly due to lack of proper and> > effective communication. It is indeed a delicate art. Secretive> > manipulations spread fears and discontent, but too open a system of> > communication is also dangerous for the growth of an organization.> >> > The Panchatantra beautifully expresses this art of communication.> >> > It says:> >> > Some things a man must say to his wife. Some to his friends; some to> his> > sons.> >> > All these are trusted people, but, he should never tell everything to> > everyone!> >> > We must, therefore, use our discrimination at all times in> communicating> > information. Never put your foot in your mouth!> >> > ---PUJYA GURUDEV SWAMI CHINMAYANANDA> >> > With Love & OM!> >> > Krishna Prasad> >> >> > guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" veeus18@ wrote:> > >> > > Bhagavadgita 5.18> > > vidya-vinaya-sampanne> > > brahmane gavi hastini> > > suni caiva sva-pake ca> > > panditah sama-darsinah> > > The wise one, by virtue of true knowledge, sees with equal vision a> > learned and gentle brahmana, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater> > [outcaste].> > >> > >> > > Madhvacarya's Commentary> > > Even though there are external differences in the forms among> embodied> > beings including humans, aquatics, animals and plants, the Supreme> Lord> > Krishna is ever present in each and every being as a witness> energising> > them all as the Supreme Soul and from whom a minuscule portion> comprises> > the eternal individual soul.> > > Ramanuja's Commentary> > > The name Brahmana refers to the saintly and spiritual class in India> > possessed of moral conduct and Vedic knowledge. The mention along with> > them of a cow, an elephant, a dog and an outcaste person who eats dog> is> > to illustrate the great differences in the physical bodies of all the> > various species of life in which the embodied atma or soul resides in.> > >> > > Swami Chinmayananda> > >> > > The wise cannot but see and recognize the same presence of divinity> > everywhere. The ocean has no difference in feeling for different> waves.> > .....perfection is not a Godly idealism to be experienced after death,> > in a specialized world beyond the clouds. This goal can be achieved in> > this life, in the here and now, in this very body among the material> > worldly objects, and one can live in the consciousness of God,> evolving> > oneself from the immaturities of a deluded ego-sense.> > >> > >> > > adidaiveekam no_reply wrote:> > > Hari OM!> > > Dear Veenaji.> > > First of all, Thanks for your appreciation for the> > postings.............> > > .......I did not appreciate whatever you say about the Christian> > Mother.. who you have best regards... may be true, but we have our own> > saints, first try to learn their teachings and practice it than taking> > mircrowaved knowledge. Once. I have heard an interview of Padmabhushan> > Dr.K.J.Yesudas, the questioner was asking .. like, What do you say> about> > people singing your own songs.. by Karaoke, and other BGMs, He> replied,> > "FRESH FOOD HAVE ITS OWN TASTE AND NUTIRION .. BUT THE FOOD WHICH IS> > MICROWAVED(OR REHEATED) AFTER SO MANY DAYS HAVE ITS OWN QUALITY ONLY!> > What we are doing now is..Teachings of Our Own Saints and Sages, have> no> > signficance and it is all, Blind belief and foolishness. But if a> Mother> > from other caste takes our own scriptural words and polish it with> > English language You and I appreciate it.. and particularly if it is> > coming from a White skin lady ... Lo! wah wah wah.. I do not> understand> > the logic.. behind it... For a Kathopanishad class (only one> > > Chapter) in Harvard University, we need to pay US$4000/-, at the> same> > time, our Saints and Sages along with real life examples are ready to> > take it as FREE.. We dont want to listen... Whatever is happening in> > India.. is the result of this attitude..> > > Hare Guruvayurappa!> > > With Love & OM!> > > Krishna Prasad> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > guruvayur , "Veena A. Nair" veeus18@ wrote:> > > >> > > > Om Namo Narayanaya.> > > > Nice piece, KPji, on the Bhagavatham. I wish more people would> post> > more articles like these which focus on the valuable spiritual> treasures> > our culture has handed down to us instead of wasting time and energy> on> > other peoples hidden agendas and works, no matter what the> provocation.> > > >> > > >> > > > Its no use trying to figure out why Mother Teresa's charity work> is> > in the same city as Ramakrishna and Vivekananda's institutes. Maybe> all> > these souls felt that Calcutta, more than any other city, needed all> of> > these and probably much more to cure it of its problems. Maybe> > Vivekananda's journey into the U.S. brought Calcutta more attention> than> > any other city. One is familiar with the name of Sister Nivedita, who> > was more similar to Sister Agnes-Scott (if one prefers that name) as> far> > as cultural and religious background went, but spent the best years of> > her life devoted to the causes advocated by the best of men that India> > has produced, Swami Vivekananda. Recognizing these folks does not in> any> > way belittle the likes of Sharada Ma, Pandita Ramabai, Ahilyabai> Holkar,> > Jijabai, et al., women by their very lives set the highest example of> a> > life of spiritual wisdom, public service, and courage. Any aspersions> on> > the characters of these souls, whether domestic or foreign, who> > > > spent their lives bettering humankind, whether motivated by> personal> > or public reasons, does not befit the children of a religion that> claims> > "Vasudeiva kutumbakam".> > > >> > > > On that note, KPJi, maybe you could tell us something more about> > Ammachi? I have met Mata Amritanandamayi, and have enormous> appreciation> > for the work her organization did, especially post Tsunami, and showed> > the Tamil Nadu and Kerala governments what strong faith and willpower> > can achieve. But I think there is another woman saint in South India,> > less prominent, who is addressed as Ammachi; I presume she is the> person> > you referred to in your mail. While traveling through Tirupati last> > summer, I came across some ladies who were returning from a camp under> > Ammachi's guidance. A search on the web only brings up the other> "Amma"> > (Mata Amritanandamayi). If you are familiar with Ammachi's work, it> > would be nice to see something more on her. I think this is also a> very> > nice opportunity for me to invite contributions from the learned> members> > on some of the woman saints of India for the next several issues of> > Navaneetham. I would be very happy to receive that to be included> under> > > > the section of "Great Bhaktas".> > > >> > > > Thanks,> > > > Veena.> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Om Namo Narayanaya.> > > Group website: http://www.guruvayoor.com/> > > Monthly magazine: www.guruvayoor.com/navaneetham> > >> > > > > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.> > >> >>