Faith is More Powerful than Knowledge

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hari OM!

Dear Narayanas in Masks!

Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

Faith is more powerful than knowledge

There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of ariver. So learned was he that other pandits came fromfar and near to consult with him. They showered himwith appreciation.

On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, calledLakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busyday.

She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father andthen set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross theriver on a boat.

One day the pandit was waiting for her for a longtime. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for yousince early morning. From tomorrow I want the milkbefore sunrise.

The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank atthe crack of dawn but the boatman did not show upuntil late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged theboatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting forthe milk.

The pandit complained, You are late again, whathappened?

The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give meexcuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!Don't you know who I am?

Lakshmi began to cry.

But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know howlearned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I knowso many things. That river is like the river of life.People safely cross the river of life by invoking theDivine name of Hari .

Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously andhappily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditjihad told me this earlier.

The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's housebefore sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her ashe could not see the boatman. How did you cross theriver? he inquired.

Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross theriver by chanting the name of Hari and I did. "

That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered herto cross the river again.

Lakshmi crossed the river again without anydifficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.She stayed completely dry.

The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name ofHari. But as he tried to protect his clothes fromgetting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi wasastonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were notthinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking aboutyour dhoti. That is why it did not work."

Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and acceptedthat her faith was more powerful than his emptylearning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi.

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

Guest guest

Dear Krishna Prasadji,

Excellent story to reinforce our faith. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM, adidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote:

Hari OM!

>

> Dear Narayanas in Masks!

>

> Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

>

> Faith is more powerful than knowledge

>

> There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of a

> river. So learned was he that other pandits came from

> far and near to consult with him. They showered him

> with appreciation.

>

> On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, called

> Lakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busy

> day.

>

> She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,

> milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father and

> then set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross the

> river on a boat.

>

> One day the pandit was waiting for her for a long

> time. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,

> Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for you

> since early morning. From tomorrow I want the milk

> before sunrise.

>

> The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank at

> the crack of dawn but the boatman did not show up

> until late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged the

> boatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting for

> the milk.

>

> The pandit complained, You are late again, what

> happened?

>

> The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give me

> excuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!

> Don't you know who I am?

>

> Lakshmi began to cry.

>

> But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know how

> learned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I know

> so many things. That river is like the river of life.

> People safely cross the river of life by invoking the

> Divine name of Hari .

>

> Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously and

> happily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditji

> had told me this earlier.

>

> The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's house

> before sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her as

> he could not see the boatman. How did you cross the

> river? he inquired.

>

> Lakshmi smiled and said, " You taught me to cross the

> river by chanting the name of Hari and I did. "

>

> That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered her

> to cross the river again.

>

> Lakshmi crossed the river again without any

> difficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.

> She stayed completely dry.

>

> The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name of

> Hari. But as he tried to protect his clothes from

> getting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi was

> astonished. " Oh Panditji, " she said, " You were not

> thinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking about

> your dhoti. That is why it did not work. "

>

> Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and accepted

> that her faith was more powerful than his empty

> learning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi.

>

> Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

> Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

>

> With Love & OM!

>

> Krishna Prasad

>

>

>

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya Dear krishnaprasad Very good updates. Thank you. With Prayers SreeAnjuadidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Narayanas in Masks! Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Faith is more powerful than knowledge There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of ariver. So learned was he that other pandits came fromfar and near to consult with him. They showered himwith appreciation. On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, calledLakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busyday. She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father andthen set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross theriver on a boat. One day the pandit was waiting for her for a longtime. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for

yousince early morning. From tomorrow I want the milkbefore sunrise. The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank atthe crack of dawn but the boatman did not show upuntil late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged theboatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting forthe milk. The pandit complained, You are late again, whathappened? The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give meexcuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!Don't you know who I am? Lakshmi began to cry. But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know howlearned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I knowso many things.

That river is like the river of life.People safely cross the river of life by invoking theDivine name of Hari . Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously andhappily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditjihad told me this earlier. The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's housebefore sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her ashe could not see the boatman. How did you cross theriver? he inquired. Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross theriver by chanting the name of Hari and I did. " That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered herto cross the river again. Lakshmi crossed the river

again without anydifficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.She stayed completely dry. The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name ofHari. But as he tried to protect his clothes fromgetting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi wasastonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were notthinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking aboutyour dhoti. That is why it did not work." Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and acceptedthat her faith was more powerful than his emptylearning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi. Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare With Love & OM! Krishna Prasad

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya

Nice story aswellas meaningful story, it gives me strength to overcome my present situation.

thank you ji

ashok kumar

adidaiveekam <no_reply >guruvayur Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:57:58 AM[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Faith is More Powerful than Knowledge

Hari OM!

Dear Narayanas in Masks!

Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

Faith is more powerful than knowledge

There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of ariver. So learned was he that other pandits came fromfar and near to consult with him. They showered himwith appreciation.

On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, calledLakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busyday.

She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father andthen set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross theriver on a boat.

One day the pandit was waiting for her for a longtime. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for yousince early morning. From tomorrow I want the milkbefore sunrise.

The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank atthe crack of dawn but the boatman did not show upuntil late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged theboatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting forthe milk.

The pandit complained, You are late again, whathappened?

The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give meexcuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!Don't you know who I am?

Lakshmi began to cry.

But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know howlearned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I knowso many things. That river is like the river of life.People safely cross the river of life by invoking theDivine name of Hari .

Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously andhappily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditjihad told me this earlier.

The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's housebefore sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her ashe could not see the boatman. How did you cross theriver? he inquired.

Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross theriver by chanting the name of Hari and I did. "

That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered herto cross the river again.

Lakshmi crossed the river again without anydifficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.She stayed completely dry.

The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name ofHari. But as he tried to protect his clothes fromgetting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi wasastonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were notthinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking aboutyour dhoti. That is why it did not work."

Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and acceptedthat her faith was more powerful than his emptylearning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi.

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Dear Krishan Prasadji Excellent & spritual storySavitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote: Dear Krishna Prasadji,Excellent story to reinforce our faith. Thanks for sharing.Regards and prayersSavitriOn Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM, adidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote:>>>>>>> Hari OM!>> Dear Narayanas in Masks!>> Short story by

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa>> Faith is more powerful than knowledge>> There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of a> river. So learned was he that other pandits came from> far and near to consult with him. They showered him> with appreciation.>> On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, called> Lakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busy> day.>> She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,> milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father and> then set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross the> river on a boat.>> One day the pandit was waiting for her for a long> time. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,> Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for you> since early morning. From tomorrow I want the milk> before sunrise.>> The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the

riverbank at> the crack of dawn but the boatman did not show up> until late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged the> boatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting for> the milk.>> The pandit complained, You are late again, what> happened?>> The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give me> excuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!> Don't you know who I am?>> Lakshmi began to cry.>> But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know how> learned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I know> so many things. That river is like the river of life.> People safely cross the river of life by invoking the> Divine name of Hari .>> Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously and> happily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditji> had told me this earlier.>> The next day Lakshmi arrived at

the pandit's house> before sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her as> he could not see the boatman. How did you cross the> river? he inquired.>> Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross the> river by chanting the name of Hari and I did. ">> That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered her> to cross the river again.>> Lakshmi crossed the river again without any> difficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.> She stayed completely dry.>> The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name of> Hari. But as he tried to protect his clothes from> getting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi was> astonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were not> thinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking about> your dhoti. That is why it did not work.">> Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and accepted>

that her faith was more powerful than his empty> learning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi.>> Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare> Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare>> With Love & OM!>> Krishna Prasad>>>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

Dear Krishna Prasad,I believe that all leads to the Bhakthi Maargam and ultimately Moksham is only possible through Bhakthi..ThanksUncleUdayabhanu PanickarAnjusha Varma <anjushasree wrote: Om Namo Narayanaya Dear krishnaprasad Very good updates. Thank you. With Prayers SreeAnjuadidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Narayanas in Masks! Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Faith is more powerful than knowledge There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of ariver. So learned was he that other pandits came fromfar and near to consult with him. They showered himwith appreciation. On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, calledLakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busyday. She woke up early in the morning, bathed

her cows,milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father andthen set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross theriver on a boat. One day the pandit was waiting for her for a longtime. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for yousince early morning. From tomorrow I want the milkbefore sunrise. The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank atthe crack of dawn but the boatman did not show upuntil late morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged theboatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting forthe milk. The pandit complained, You are late again, whathappened? The pandit was in a bad mood that day.

Don't give meexcuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!Don't you know who I am? Lakshmi began to cry. But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know howlearned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I knowso many things. That river is like the river of life.People safely cross the river of life by invoking theDivine name of Hari . Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously andhappily departed, saying to herself, I wish panditjihad told me this earlier. The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's housebefore sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her ashe could not see the boatman. How did you cross theriver? he inquired.

Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross theriver by chanting the name of Hari and I did. " That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered herto cross the river again. Lakshmi crossed the river again without anydifficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.She stayed completely dry. The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name ofHari. But as he tried to protect his clothes fromgetting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi wasastonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were notthinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking aboutyour dhoti. That is why it did not work." Panditji

marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and acceptedthat her faith was more powerful than his emptylearning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi. Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare With Love & OM! Krishna Prasad Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Very well said Udayabhanu Panicker ji. That is the reason Krishna Himself states to Uddhava that Krishna cannot be understood by Yoga (Na Saadhyati Maam Yogo), neither by the Saankhya philosophy (Na Saankhyam), neither by executing the religious principles (Dharmam), neither by self-study (Na Svaadhyaayas), neither by austerities (Na tapas) or renunciation (tyaago). But only by Pure Devotional service (Yato Bhaktir) to Krishna (Mamorjita). As mentioned by Krishna: [ Na Saadhyati Maam Yogo, Na Saankhyam Dharma Uddhava, Na Svaadhyaayas Tapas Tyago, Yato Bhaktir Mamorjita."My dear Uddhava, the unalloyed devotional service rendered to Me byMy devotees brings Me under their control. I cannot be thus controlledby those engaged in mystic yoga, Sankhya philosophy, pious work, Vedicstudy, austerity or renunciation." - SB

11.14.20 -http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/14/20/en ] Hare Krishna!Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote: Dear Krishna Prasad,I believe that all leads to the Bhakthi Maargam and ultimately Moksham is only possible through Bhakthi..ThanksUncleUdayabhanu PanickarAnjusha Varma <anjushasree > wrote: Om Namo Narayanaya Dear krishnaprasad Very good updates. Thank you. With Prayers SreeAnjuadidaiveekam <no_reply > wrote: Hari OM! Dear Narayanas in Masks! Short story by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Faith is more powerful than knowledge There was once a pandit who lived on the bank of ariver. So learned was he that other pandits came fromfar and near to

consult with him. They showered himwith appreciation. On the other side of the bank lived a milkmaid, calledLakshmi, who sold milk to the pandit. Hers was a busyday. She woke up early in the morning, bathed her cows,milked them, then cooked a meal for her old father andthen set out to deliver the milk. She had to cross theriver on a boat. One day the pandit was waiting for her for a longtime. When she finally arrived, the pandit said, Ah,Lakshmi you have come at last. I was waiting for yousince early morning. From tomorrow I want the milkbefore sunrise. The next morning Lakshmi rushed to the riverbank atthe crack of dawn but the boatman did not show upuntil late

morning. Hurry, hurry, Lakshmi urged theboatman, knowing that the pandit would be waiting forthe milk. The pandit complained, You are late again, whathappened? The pandit was in a bad mood that day. Don't give meexcuses! He shouted. How dare you disregard my wishes!Don't you know who I am? Lakshmi began to cry. But the pandit continued to boast, Do you know howlearned I am? You are just a simple milkmaid. I knowso many things. That river is like the river of life.People safely cross the river of life by invoking theDivine name of Hari . Lakshmi took the pandit's words very seriously andhappily departed, saying

to herself, I wish panditjihad told me this earlier. The next day Lakshmi arrived at the pandit's housebefore sunrise. The Pandit was surprised to see her ashe could not see the boatman. How did you cross theriver? he inquired. Lakshmi smiled and said, "You taught me to cross theriver by chanting the name of Hari and I did. " That is impossible! the pandit shouted and ordered herto cross the river again. Lakshmi crossed the river again without anydifficulty, chanting the name of Hari as she did so.She stayed completely dry. The pandit tried to do the same chanting the name ofHari. But as he tried to protect his

clothes fromgetting wet, he fell into the river. Lakshmi wasastonished. "Oh Panditji," she said, "You were notthinking of Hari at all. You were busy thinking aboutyour dhoti. That is why it did not work." Panditji marveled at Lakshmi's devotion and acceptedthat her faith was more powerful than his emptylearning. He sincerely blessed Lakshmi. Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare With Love & OM! Krishna Prasad Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.