IndiaDivine.org

Changes required at Guruvayoor Temple

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Devotees

I had always felt the following changes to be required at Guruvayoor

Temple.

1) Temple nada should be open from morning 3 O clock to Night 10.

The temple NADA is closed for every pooja. WHY??? What is wrong if

the devotees see the pooja.. There are times when I had to pray from

outside and leave, due to the heavy rush. I come all the way from

Mumbai. It just isn't fair.to spend 3-4 or even 5 hrs in queue to

enter the temple. If the NADA is kept open, 18 hrs, there wouldn't be

unwanted rush. Believe me, all the evil things happen when there is

heavy rush.

I suggest, do the pooja as it is, but keep the NADA open for the

devotees to see the lord.

2) Please don't insist on removing shirts for entering the temple.

Before when the crowd was less, without shirt was ok. But now in a

crowded temple, moving about without shirt is very unhygienic.

Devotees, please look at the positive side and forward your comments.

regards

Guest guest

Dear Ranjithji,The following are simple facts for your queries raised. Kindly read and comment.The customs of temples in Kerala are different in many respects from temples in other south Indian states. To the layman, it may seem that the poojaris are silent during the pooja. The Deity is kept out of sight from the devotees by closing the sanctum sanctorum during a part of the pooja.The poojari’s hand symbols during the pooja have definite meanings.He recites manthras silently. All devotees are supposed to keep silence during the pooja and still better if they fold their hands in devotion. After the

Prasanna pooja, the door of the sanctum sanctorum opens and normally the poojari will be doing arathy at that time. Then the crowded devotees get a glimpse of the decorated deity with all the traditional lights lit. This particular occasion gives great thrill to the devotees and many of them shout the name of the God with great devotion spontaneously. At temples where the rush is not much, the poojari gives Thirtham, chandanam and prasadam, containing the chaithanya of the Almighty. (water with tulasi, sandal paste and flowers all used during the pooja and into which the poojari has transferred part of

the Kundalini Sakthi). Good devotees do not spill them inside the temple and spoil the cleanliness of the temple. The Kerala temple resembles a Yagasala. The shadadhara Prathishta in the temple represents the Sukshma Sareera and the entire temple represents physical body prostrating with feet at Gopuram and head at sanctum sanctorum.The Balikals inside the Nalambalam represents the attributes of god ( Ganapathy-knowledge Indra-rain etc etc ) and the ones outside nalambalam represents Bhootha Pretha Pishach . A book published by RK Mission,Chennai gives a number of suggestions to improve temples and the community. Some of these are given below. The poojaris have to maintain the spiritual atmosphere of the temple They should observe all rules regarding personal and ceremonial purity (unlike Pandas at Kashi Gaya etc). They should have genuine concern for the devotees. Devotees should observe rules regarding personal, environmental and ceremonial cleanness.They should not engage in non-religious activities in the presence of the Deity (bargaining cost of rituals etc). They should not observe caste restrictions etc. In front of the deity. He has to concentrate his

mind on God. After the visit to the temple he should sit in a corner of the temple and meditate.The greatest malady of our society is that we are the most disorganised society of the world. It is high time we have a central authority.When we accept all religions as equal, why not all sections in our society? It is high time there is an all India temple trust to which all devotees and rich temples contribute.The trust should be autonomous and can release funds to temples requiring funds. Every temple should have an association of young devotees who should take turns to clean the temple and suburbs, and can also educate the devotees regarding the rituals. The members of the association can take short term training and can be an asset during festivals.They can regulate queues, help the aged and infirm, supply drinking water, emergency medical aid etc. Temples can also "Hinduise" Hindus by production of religious literature,organising religious discourses, Bhajans, Harikathas,and staging dramas. A temple cannot be considered a good temple unless it provides adequate facilities for pilgrims and devotees, pays the staff reasonable wages, and beautifies the surroundings with plants and trees. Acquiring too many ornaments for the Deity, making the entire temple golden etc with a large number of beggars in the neighbourhood may not be to God's liking.Kindly note that going to take darshan should not be in a hurry like meeting our friends, you will have to

sacrifice to receive the positive energy produced in the temple. Rush in the temple makes us happy since more and more people coming to know the spirituality and knowing the ultimate freedom.Regards,prasadranjith_sankar <no_reply > wrote: Dear Devotees I had always felt the following changes to be required at Guruvayoor Temple. 1) Temple nada should be open from morning 3 O clock to Night 10. The temple NADA is closed for every pooja. WHY??? What is wrong if the

devotees see the pooja.. There are times when I had to pray from outside and leave, due to the heavy rush. I come all the way from Mumbai. It just isn't fair.to spend 3-4 or even 5 hrs in queue to enter the temple. If the NADA is kept open, 18 hrs, there wouldn't be unwanted rush. Believe me, all the evil things happen when there is heavy rush. I suggest, do the pooja as it is, but keep the NADA open for the devotees to see the lord. 2) Please don't insist on removing shirts for entering the temple. Before when the crowd was less, without shirt was ok. But now in a crowded temple, moving about without shirt is very unhygienic. Devotees, please look at the positive side and forward your comments. regards

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

Dear Ranjith,1. I think the nada is kept closed during abhishekam timings, it has to be that way since we like to see the god in its all glory.2. How is removing shirt unhygienic? Nobody is stopping you from having a melmundu to cover.Regards,Premranjith_sankar <no_reply > wrote: Dear Devotees I had always felt the following changes to be required at Guruvayoor Temple. 1) Temple nada should be open from morning 3 O clock to Night 10.The temple NADA is closed for every pooja. WHY??? What is wrong if the devotees see the pooja.. There are times when I had to pray from outside and leave, due to the heavy rush. I come all the way from Mumbai. It just isn't fair.to spend 3-4 or even 5 hrs in queue to enter the temple. If the NADA is kept open, 18 hrs,

there wouldn't be unwanted rush. Believe me, all the evil things happen when there is heavy rush. I suggest, do the pooja as it is, but keep the NADA open for the devotees to see the lord. 2) Please don't insist on removing shirts for entering the temple. Before when the crowd was less, without shirt was ok. But now in a crowded temple, moving about without shirt is very unhygienic. Devotees, please look at the positive side and forward your comments. regards---Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Hare Krishna Guruvayurappa ! What you have stated is a wrong understanding of what's going on at Guruvayur temple. The nada is not kept closed during abhishekam - the nada is very much open and accessible for darshan during Thaila abhishekam, Vaaka Chaarthu, Paal abhishekam and so on. It is also common practice in ALL Kerala temples to close the nada during puja, naivedyam etc - the same is followed at Guruvayur. I am sure there must be good scriptural backing regarding when to open and close the nada - besides the puja vidhi at Guruvaur is personally laid out by Sri Sankaracharya at the behest of Sri Guruvayurappan. I do not think that the darshan timings is something to be decided on popular vote. Some of the more knowledgeable members may be able to shed more light on this for you. the melmundu (uttareeyam) idea is good enough to cover the bare bodies. But there are reasons why men go to temple bare chested. They are said to better absorb the spiritual

vibrations when the upper body is exposed (and women when they wear more gold ornaments - correct me if i am wrong here). You may have noted that many men of the older generation wear the melmundu while in the queue - but as they approach the nada, they remove the melmundu and tie it around their waist - so that their chest / upper body is exposed in front of Bhagavan to accept the spiritual vibrations better.When you do visit Guruvayur, have some time available at your disposal - keep aside some time aside exclusively for Bhagavan. Don't visit Guruvayur ritually - try to concentrate on the bhakti aspect. While waiting in the queue, try to recite the Holy Names of the Lord as much as you can - any spiritual activity will be rewarded in a multiplied fashion in holy places; read from Narayaneeyam & Jnanapana - this is what I try to do everytime I have to wait in a long queue at Guruvayur - (Sometimes, I even explain the Guruvayur Mahatmyam to people from other

states while waiting in the queue) this can even make the long wait enjoyable, as you are reading spiritually charged literature / prayers. This way, we can forget our worries and concentrate on Bhagavan more (this should be our real purpose in visiting Guruvayur). I understand that a long queue may not be helpful for the elderly - but, they can make use of the facility for senior citizens to have darshan without too much waiting.It is unfortunate that you had to wait for hours and then go away without having darshan - it does happen many times - definitely some crowd regulation must be put in place. One thing commendable about Guruvayur Devaswom is that they try their level best to permit most of the devotees in the queue to get darshan, when the nada opens after the Ucha puja. Many times I have joined the queue and got easy darshan at this time. There was an earlier discussion on this forum, wherein somebody wanted more time for darshan at Guruvayur

- meaning, he complained that the Devaswom folks were not allowing him to take darshan for a few minutes even & were asking him to move on- then I pointed out that "so many devotees are waiting in the queue behind you for hours - please don't be too selfish and allow them also darshan."-sriram===========prem <bpremkumar wrote: Dear Ranjith,1. I think the nada is kept closed during abhishekam timings, it has to be that way since we like to see the god in its all glory.2. How is removing shirt unhygienic?

Nobody is stopping you from having a melmundu to cover.Regards,Premranjith_sankar <no_reply > wrote: Dear Devotees I had always felt the following changes to be required at Guruvayoor Temple. 1) Temple nada should be open from morning 3 O clock to Night 10.The temple NADA is closed for every pooja. WHY??? What is wrong if the devotees see the pooja.. There are times when I had to pray from outside and leave, due to the heavy rush. I come all the way from Mumbai. It just isn't fair.to spend 3-4 or even 5 hrs in queue to enter the temple. If the NADA is kept open, 18 hrs, there wouldn't be unwanted rush. Believe me, all the evil things happen when there is heavy rush. I suggest, do the pooja as it is, but keep the NADA open for the devotees to see the lord. 2)

Please don't insist on removing shirts for entering the temple. Before when the crowd was less, without shirt was ok. But now in a crowded temple, moving about without shirt is very unhygienic. Devotees, please look at the positive side and forward your comments. regards---Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Hello Prasad,

Thank you for your email. The documents is priceless.

Do you have any similar information on Khestra Acharangal? I remember some one telling that there is one by Madhavacharya - but cannot find in book shops.

If you have, can you kindly send to us?

Kind Regards

-Gopal

PRASAD KRISHNA <pra_00_inguruvayur Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:36:20 PMRe: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Changes required at Guruvayoor Temple

Dear Ranjithji,The following are simple facts for your queries raised. Kindly read and comment.

The customs of temples in Kerala are different in many respects from temples in other south Indian states.

To the layman, it may seem that the poojaris are silent during the pooja. The Deity is kept out of sight from the devotees by closing the sanctum sanctorum during a part of the pooja.The poojari¢s hand symbols during the pooja have definite meanings.He recites manthras silently. All devotees are supposed to keep silence during the pooja and still better if they fold their hands in devotion. After the Prasanna pooja, the door of the sanctum sanctorum opens and normally the poojari will be doing arathy at that time. Then the crowded devotees get a glimpse of the decorated deity with all the traditional lights lit. This particular occasion gives great thrill to the devotees and many of them shout the name of the God with great devotion spontaneously.

At temples where the rush is not much, the poojari gives Thirtham, chandanam and prasadam, containing the chaithanya of the Almighty. (water with tulasi, sandal paste and flowers all used during the pooja and into which the poojari has transferred part of the Kundalini Sakthi). Good devotees do not spill them inside the temple and spoil the cleanliness of the temple.

The Kerala temple resembles a Yagasala. The shadadhara Prathishta in the temple represents the Sukshma Sareera and the entire temple represents physical body prostrating with feet at Gopuram and head at sanctum sanctorum.The Balikals inside the Nalambalam represents the attributes of god ( Ganapathy-knowledge Indra-rain etc etc ) and the ones outside nalambalam represents Bhootha Pretha Pishach .

A book published by RK Mission,Chennai gives a number of suggestions to improve temples and the community. Some of these are given below.

The poojaris have to maintain the spiritual atmosphere of the temple They should observe all rules regarding personal and ceremonial purity (unlike Pandas at Kashi Gaya etc). They should have genuine concern for the devotees.

Devotees should observe rules regarding personal, environmental and ceremonial cleanness.They should not engage in non-religious activities in the presence of the Deity (bargaining cost of rituals etc). They should not observe caste restrictions etc. In front of the deity. He has to concentrate his mind on God. After the visit to the temple he should sit in a corner of the temple and meditate.

The greatest malady of our society is that we are the most disorganised society of the world. It is high time we have a central authority.When we accept all religions as equal, why not all sections in our society? It is high time there is an all India temple trust to which all devotees and rich temples contribute.The trust should be autonomous and can release funds to temples requiring funds.

Every temple should have an association of young devotees who should take turns to clean the temple and suburbs, and can also educate the devotees regarding the rituals. The members of the association can take short term training and can be an asset during festivals.They can regulate queues, help the aged and infirm, supply drinking water, emergency medical aid etc.

Temples can also "Hinduise" Hindus by production of religious literature,organisi ng religious discourses, Bhajans, Harikathas,and staging dramas.

A temple cannot be considered a good temple unless it provides adequate facilities for pilgrims and devotees, pays the staff reasonable wages, and beautifies the surroundings with plants and trees. Acquiring too many ornaments for the Deity, making the entire temple golden etc with a large number of beggars in the neighbourhood may not be to God's liking.Kindly note that going to take darshan should not be in a hurry like meeting our friends, you will have to sacrifice to receive the positive energy produced in the temple. Rush in the temple makes us happy since more and more people coming to know the spirituality and knowing the ultimate freedom.Regards,prasadranjith_sankar <no_reply@ s.com> wrote:

Dear DevoteesI had always felt the following changes to be required at Guruvayoor Temple.1) Temple nada should be open from morning 3 O clock to Night 10.The temple NADA is closed for every pooja. WHY??? What is wrong if the devotees see the pooja.. There are times when I had to pray from outside and leave, due to the heavy rush. I come all the way from Mumbai. It just isn't fair.to spend 3-4 or even 5 hrs in queue to enter the temple. If the NADA is kept open, 18 hrs, there wouldn't be unwanted rush. Believe me, all the evil things happen when there is heavy rush. I suggest, do the pooja as it is, but keep the NADA open for the devotees to see the lord.2) Please don't insist on removing shirts for entering the temple.Before when the crowd was less, without shirt was ok. But now in a crowded temple, moving about without shirt is

very unhygienic.Devotees, please look at the positive side and forward your comments.regards

You rock. That's why Blockbuster' s offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.