IndiaDivine.org

Our trip to Kerala

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Our tour to Kerala

Kerala, God's own country!

It is true because you can see more of God's creations in Kerala than anywhere else. I other lands man has destroyed what God has created. I mean the wealth of nature. The green forests and the coconut trees and other natural scenes of beauty can be enjoyed only in Kerala wherever you travel. Though our trip was a short one and we could not have an extended tour all over Kerala due to our age (even this was quite exhausting) we had a brief but memorable experience.

We went to Palghat where a friend Dr.Jaikrishnamenon lived to proceed to Palghat from there as he wished to take us in his car. We spent some time with his family and went to the Guruvayur temple in Palghat maintained by Chinmaya mission. It is just beautiful and Guruvayurappan is charming . The murals along the wall of the sannidhi depicted scens from dasavathara and there were some other paintings on the wall in the meditation hall. I could not drag myself away from the place. It is very well maintained and visitors to Palghat should not miss it.

We went to a Hanuman temple in Palghat inside the fort of Tippusultan, the Hanumanji there is supposed to be very powerful. It seems two Hindu soldiers of Tippu who were stationed there carved a figure of hanuman on the rock and later it was made into a proper temple.

We left for Guruvayur in the evening in a taxi, since we would not allow our friend to drive due to a sudden heavy downpour and we had to skip our plan to visit Vadakkanatha temple in Trichur as a result. Next morning we went to the temple of Guruvayurappan . There was a huge crowd with a queue extending far beyond the entrance to the temple due to the day being Good Friday a holiday and when we almost got reconciled to see the Lord from outside Guruvayurappan willed otherwise and our friend took us to the queue of senior citizens which was not too long and we were able to have the darsan within an hour.

The feeling I had on seeing the Lord was something I have never experienced earlier even when the temple was not crowded. We were not even allowed to go very near the sannidhi , may be due to excessive crowd, but the moment I stood in front of the Lord I could feel the vibrations of divine joy coursing through me and this feeling I could experience again only in Trivandrum in the temple Padmanabha and in Thirukurungudi temple , Thirunelveli, though I visited many temples during our tour. These were the three places where I could feel the divine presence

We could not do the thulabharam as planned due to the place being overcrowded and we left for Ernakulam thinking that perhaps the Lord wants us to come again for tulabhatram.

When we reached Ernakulam our Indukumar of Guruvayur group came to meet us at the station. It was the initiative of Chandrasekhara menon of our group to inform her of our arrival and she communicated with me before our departure and booked our stay in Bharat hotel and also arranged for a taxi to take us around. She and her husband helped us with the luggage and left us in the hotel.

The next day we went to Thirupanithura to the temple Poornathraya sayee, of which Indu has written about, and to the Hill palace, Thirupanithura, which houses several art pieces and jewels etc. It was really fantastic. We climbed the steps more than 60 I am sure, realizing only when we went half way up that there is a road around for car to travel. Nether our driver knew it nor the man who sold the tickets told us!. We managed to call the car for climbing down though, which was just as well as it started raining. But it was worthwhile though. In the confusion of calling the car etc we forgot to buy the postcards showing the art pieces of the museum.

Then we went to cochin and visited the Mattancheri palace and saw the mythological murals, depicting the whole of Ramayana there. To climb the stairs for the museum was a task and a fellow tourist a Frenchman helped me by offering his arm. Inside I ventured to go down to the Queens bedroom to see the murals there through narrow and steep steps and I had a tough time climbing up that nearly gave my husband a heart attack!.

Aferwards we rode round the port of cochin and saw the Chinese nets and walked along the spice street in Jewish town but the synagogue was closed due to some festival season. In the evening we went to the Siva temple of Ernakulam which was right opposite our hotel and a Hanuman temple adjacent to it which contained a beautiful hanumanji and several statues inside. It was really worth seeing.

The next day Indu took us to chotanikara temple in her car and the day being auspicious there was a huge crowd and when we gave up the hope of getting in Indu talked to some temple authorities and we were taken inside through a special entrance and were able to have the darsan in few minutes

The rest of the morning was spent in the house of Indu with her husband and daughter. Mr Kumar is very knowledgeable and he and my husband became friends at once. Surya the daughter of Indu was quite charming too and we had delightful time with all of them Their house is itself a museum of art pieces and they also have a lovely garden, a rarity in Chennai. Our visit to their hous is the best part of our trip to Ernakulam.

Indu also saw us off to Trivandrum where we were met by another friend from orkut R.Suresh. We went to the Hotel Aryanivas where Suresh made the bookings earlier.

Next day we took a taxi and went to Padmanabha temple. We had a good darsan of Padmanabha and Narasimha, Rama and Hanuman inside the temple. The face of Padmanabha was not very clearly visible but in spite of that I fell in love with Him the moment I saw Him. He was simply gorgeous!. If there is one place in Kerala I would like to return apart from Guruvayur it is the temple of Padmanabha as I wished that I could stay in front of the Lord forever.

As we could not see the palace, art gallery etc . the day being Monday when they are all closed and we went to varkala Krishna temple in the afternoon.. The Krishna there is beautiful reminding us of Guruvayurappan

We went to the kudhirmaligai , which got the name due to the wooden image of horses sculpted on the roof of the outer wall of the palace. It was the place where Maharaja SwathithirunaaL used to stay and he built it especially to be near the temple of Padamanabha which is adjacent to the palace. It contains paintings and art pieces whach are very beautiful but the splendour of the place was mainly due to the aura of n music and learning that is reverberated through the chambers. Maheraja SwatithitunaaL used to sit in one of his chambers from where he could see the temple tower of Padmanabha and compose his songs. It was thrilling to visualize the musicians and scholars who used to throng the palace chambers in his days. The whole palace is of wooden structure and an bounds in beautiful carvings on the ceilings and around.

We went to t chithra art gallery which houses the paintings of ravivarma and others and went back and rested for a while and started for Thirunelveli.

We stayed in Hotel Janakiram in Thirunelveli and visited the Vaishnava divya desams around Thirunelveli. We returned to Chennai happy but exhausted after a ten day travel .

Guest guest

Hi

Many many thanks to explain briefly the experience of your trip to various religious and cultural related places in Keralam.

NR Pillai (Raju).

guruvayur From: sarojram18Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:50:38 +0000[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Our trip to Kerala

Our tour to Kerala

Kerala, God's own country!

It is true because you can see more of God's creations in Kerala than anywhere else. I other lands man has destroyed what God has created. I mean the wealth of nature. The green forests and the coconut trees and other natural scenes of beauty can be enjoyed only in Kerala wherever you travel. Though our trip was a short one and we could not have an extended tour all over Kerala due to our age (even this was quite exhausting) we had a brief but memorable experience.

We went to Palghat where a friend Dr.Jaikrishnamenon lived to proceed to Palghat from there as he wished to take us in his car. We spent some time with his family and went to the Guruvayur temple in Palghat maintained by Chinmaya mission. It is just beautiful and Guruvayurappan is charming . The murals along the wall of the sannidhi depicted scens from dasavathara and there were some other paintings on the wall in the meditation hall. I could not drag myself away from the place. It is very well maintained and visitors to Palghat should not miss it.

We went to a Hanuman temple in Palghat inside the fort of Tippusultan, the Hanumanji there is supposed to be very powerful. It seems two Hindu soldiers of Tippu who were stationed there carved a figure of hanuman on the rock and later it was made into a proper temple.

We left for Guruvayur in the evening in a taxi, since we would not allow our friend to drive due to a sudden heavy downpour and we had to skip our plan to visit Vadakkanatha temple in Trichur as a result. Next morning we went to the temple of Guruvayurappan . There was a huge crowd with a queue extending far beyond the entrance to the temple due to the day being Good Friday a holiday and when we almost got reconciled to see the Lord from outside Guruvayurappan willed otherwise and our friend took us to the queue of senior citizens which was not too long and we were able to have the darsan within an hour.

The feeling I had on seeing the Lord was something I have never experienced earlier even when the temple was not crowded. We were not even allowed to go very near the sannidhi , may be due to excessive crowd, but the moment I stood in front of the Lord I could feel the vibrations of divine joy coursing through me and this feeling I could experience again only in Trivandrum in the temple Padmanabha and in Thirukurungudi temple , Thirunelveli, though I visited many temples during our tour. These were the three places where I could feel the divine presence

We could not do the thulabharam as planned due to the place being overcrowded and we left for Ernakulam thinking that perhaps the Lord wants us to come again for tulabhatram.

When we reached Ernakulam our Indukumar of Guruvayur group came to meet us at the station. It was the initiative of Chandrasekhara menon of our group to inform her of our arrival and she communicated with me before our departure and booked our stay in Bharat hotel and also arranged for a taxi to take us around. She and her husband helped us with the luggage and left us in the hotel.

The next day we went to Thirupanithura to the temple Poornathraya sayee, of which Indu has written about, and to the Hill palace, Thirupanithura, which houses several art pieces and jewels etc. It was really fantastic. We climbed the steps more than 60 I am sure, realizing only when we went half way up that there is a road around for car to travel. Nether our driver knew it nor the man who sold the tickets told us!. We managed to call the car for climbing down though, which was just as well as it started raining. But it was worthwhile though. In the confusion of calling the car etc we forgot to buy the postcards showing the art pieces of the museum.

Then we went to cochin and visited the Mattancheri palace and saw the mythological murals, depicting the whole of Ramayana there. To climb the stairs for the museum was a task and a fellow tourist a Frenchman helped me by offering his arm. Inside I ventured to go down to the Queens bedroom to see the murals there through narrow and steep steps and I had a tough time climbing up that nearly gave my husband a heart attack!.

Aferwards we rode round the port of cochin and saw the Chinese nets and walked along the spice street in Jewish town but the synagogue was closed due to some festival season. In the evening we went to the Siva temple of Ernakulam which was right opposite our hotel and a Hanuman temple adjacent to it which contained a beautiful hanumanji and several statues inside. It was really worth seeing.

The next day Indu took us to chotanikara temple in her car and the day being auspicious there was a huge crowd and when we gave up the hope of getting in Indu talked to some temple authorities and we were taken inside through a special entrance and were able to have the darsan in few minutes

The rest of the morning was spent in the house of Indu with her husband and daughter. Mr Kumar is very knowledgeable and he and my husband became friends at once. Surya the daughter of Indu was quite charming too and we had delightful time with all of them Their house is itself a museum of art pieces and they also have a lovely garden, a rarity in Chennai. Our visit to their hous is the best part of our trip to Ernakulam.

Indu also saw us off to Trivandrum where we were met by another friend from orkut R.Suresh. We went to the Hotel Aryanivas where Suresh made the bookings earlier.

Next day we took a taxi and went to Padmanabha temple. We had a good darsan of Padmanabha and Narasimha, Rama and Hanuman inside the temple. The face of Padmanabha was not very clearly visible but in spite of that I fell in love with Him the moment I saw Him. He was simply gorgeous!. If there is one place in Kerala I would like to return apart from Guruvayur it is the temple of Padmanabha as I wished that I could stay in front of the Lord forever.

As we could not see the palace, art gallery etc . the day being Monday when they are all closed and we went to varkala Krishna temple in the afternoon.. The Krishna there is beautiful reminding us of Guruvayurappan

We went to the kudhirmaligai , which got the name due to the wooden image of horses sculpted on the roof of the outer wall of the palace. It was the place where Maharaja SwathithirunaaL used to stay and he built it especially to be near the temple of Padamanabha which is adjacent to the palace. It contains paintings and art pieces whach are very beautiful but the splendour of the place was mainly due to the aura of n music and learning that is reverberated through the chambers. Maheraja SwatithitunaaL used to sit in one of his chambers from where he could see the temple tower of Padmanabha and compose his songs. It was thrilling to visualize the musicians and scholars who used to throng the palace chambers in his days. The whole palace is of wooden structure and an bounds in beautiful carvings on the ceilings and around.

We went to t chithra art gallery which houses the paintings of ravivarma and others and went back and rested for a while and started for Thirunelveli.

We stayed in Hotel Janakiram in Thirunelveli and visited the Vaishnava divya desams around Thirunelveli. We returned to Chennai happy but exhausted after a ten day travel .

More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with .

Guest guest

HARI AUM

Respected Dear Sarojaji,

Through this post you have given the readers a rare

experience of being to those places, and that too

through your very learned eyes.

A million thanks and our prayers to Bhagavan to take

you once again to the God's own country and give his

divine darshan.

Regards

Balagopal

NARAYANA NARAYANA NARAYANA

--- sarojram18 <sarojram18 wrote:

>

> Our tour to Kerala

>

>

>

>

>

> Kerala, God's own country!

>

>

>

> It is true because you can see more of God's

> creations in Kerala

> than anywhere else. I other lands man has destroyed

> what God has

> created. I mean the wealth of nature. The green

> forests and the coconut

> trees and other natural scenes of beauty can be

> enjoyed only in Kerala

> wherever you travel. Though our trip was a short one

> and we could not

> have an extended tour all over Kerala due to our age

> (even this was

> quite exhausting) we had a brief but memorable

> experience.

>

>

>

> We went to Palghat where a friend Dr.Jaikrishnamenon

> lived to proceed

> to Palghat from there as he wished to take us in his

> car. We spent some

> time with his family and went to the Guruvayur

> temple in Palghat

> maintained by Chinmaya mission. It is just beautiful

> and Guruvayurappan

> is charming . The murals along the wall of the

> sannidhi depicted scens

> from dasavathara and there were some other paintings

> on the wall in the

> meditation hall. I could not drag myself away from

> the place. It is very

> well maintained and visitors to Palghat should not

> miss it.

>

>

>

> We went to a Hanuman temple in Palghat inside the

> fort of Tippusultan,

> the Hanumanji there is supposed to be very powerful.

> It seems two Hindu

> soldiers of Tippu who were stationed there carved a

> figure of hanuman on

> the rock and later it was made into a proper temple.

>

>

>

> We left for Guruvayur in the evening in a taxi,

> since we would not allow

> our friend to drive due to a sudden heavy downpour

> and we had to skip

> our plan to visit Vadakkanatha temple in Trichur as

> a result. Next

> morning we went to the temple of Guruvayurappan .

> There was a huge crowd

> with a queue extending far beyond the entrance to

> the temple due to the

> day being Good Friday a holiday and when we almost

> got reconciled to

> see the Lord from outside Guruvayurappan willed

> otherwise and our

> friend took us to the queue of senior citizens which

> was not too long

> and we were able to have the darsan within an hour.

>

>

>

> The feeling I had on seeing the Lord was something I

> have never

> experienced earlier even when the temple was not

> crowded. We were not

> even allowed to go very near the sannidhi , may be

> due to excessive

> crowd, but the moment I stood in front of the Lord

> I could feel the

> vibrations of divine joy coursing through me and

> this feeling I could

> experience again only in Trivandrum in the temple

> Padmanabha and in

> Thirukurungudi temple , Thirunelveli, though I

> visited many temples

> during our tour. These were the three places where

> I could feel the

> divine presence

>

>

>

>

>

> We could not do the thulabharam as planned due to

> the place being

> overcrowded and we left for Ernakulam thinking that

> perhaps the Lord

> wants us to come again for tulabhatram.

>

>

>

> When we reached Ernakulam our Indukumar of Guruvayur

> group came to meet

> us at the station. It was the initiative of

> Chandrasekhara menon of our

> group to inform her of our arrival and she

> communicated with me before

> our departure and booked our stay in Bharat hotel

> and also arranged for

> a taxi to take us around. She and her husband helped

> us with the luggage

> and left us in the hotel.

>

>

>

> The next day we went to Thirupanithura to the temple

> Poornathraya sayee,

> of which Indu has written about, and to the Hill

> palace, Thirupanithura,

> which houses several art pieces and jewels etc. It

> was really fantastic.

> We climbed the steps more than 60 I am sure,

> realizing only when we went

> half way up that there is a road around for car to

> travel. Nether our

> driver knew it nor the man who sold the tickets told

> us!. We managed to

> call the car for climbing down though, which was

> just as well as it

> started raining. But it was worthwhile though. In

> the confusion of

> calling the car etc we forgot to buy the postcards

> showing the art

> pieces of the museum.

>

>

>

> Then we went to cochin and visited the Mattancheri

> palace and saw the

> mythological murals, depicting the whole of Ramayana

> there. To climb the

> stairs for the museum was a task and a fellow

> tourist a Frenchman helped

> me by offering his arm. Inside I ventured to go down

> to the Queens

> bedroom to see the murals there through narrow and

> steep steps and I had

> a tough time climbing up that nearly gave my husband

> a heart attack!.

>

>

>

> Aferwards we rode round the port of cochin and saw

> the Chinese nets and

> walked along the spice street in Jewish town but

> the synagogue was

> closed due to some festival season. In the evening

> we went to the Siva

> temple of Ernakulam which was right opposite our

> hotel and a Hanuman

> temple adjacent to it which contained a beautiful

> hanumanji and several

> statues inside. It was really worth seeing.

>

>

>

> The next day Indu took us to chotanikara temple

> in her car and the

> day being auspicious there was a huge crowd and when

> we gave up the hope

> of getting in Indu talked to some temple authorities

> and we were taken

> inside through a special entrance and were able to

> have the darsan in

> few minutes

>

>

>

> The rest of the morning was spent in the house of

> Indu with her husband

> and daughter. Mr Kumar is very knowledgeable and he

> and my husband

> became friends at once. Surya the daughter of Indu

> was quite charming

> too and we had delightful time with all of them

> Their house is itself a

> museum of art pieces and they also have a lovely

> garden, a rarity in

> Chennai. Our visit to their hous is the best part of

> our trip to

> Ernakulam.

>

>

>

> Indu also saw us off to Trivandrum where we were met

> by

=== message truncated ===

Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on

http://help./l/in//mail/mail/tools/tools-08.html/

Guest guest

Hari OM!

Dear Sarojaji,

Welcome Back, And really great to read the Kerala trip Details. May

GOD Bless.

With Love & OM!

Krishna Prasad

guruvayur , " sarojram18 " <sarojram18

wrote:

>

>

> Our tour to Kerala

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> It is true because you can see more of God's creations in Kerala

> than anywhere else. I other lands man has destroyed what God has

> created. I mean the wealth of nature. The green forests and the

coconut

> trees and other natural scenes of beauty can be enjoyed only in

Kerala

Guest guest

Dear Sarojamji

Thank you for your detailed report of all sacred

places

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- sarojram18 <sarojram18 wrote:

>

> Our tour to Kerala

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> It is true because you can see more of God's

> creations in Kerala

> than anywhere else. I other lands man has destroyed

> what God has

> created. I mean the wealth of nature. The green

> forests and the coconut

> trees and other natural scenes of beauty can be

> enjoyed only in Kerala

> wherever you travel. Though our trip was a short one

> and we could not

> have an extended tour all over Kerala due to our age

> (even this was

> quite exhausting) we had a brief but memorable

> experience.

>

>

>

> We went to Palghat where a friend Dr.Jaikrishnamenon

> lived to proceed

> to Palghat from there as he wished to take us in his

> car. We spent some

> time with his family and went to the Guruvayur

> temple in Palghat

> maintained by Chinmaya mission. It is just beautiful

> and Guruvayurappan

> is charming . The murals along the wall of the

> sannidhi depicted scens

> from dasavathara and there were some other paintings

> on the wall in the

> meditation hall. I could not drag myself away from

> the place. It is very

> well maintained and visitors to Palghat should not

> miss it.

>

>

>

> We went to a Hanuman temple in Palghat inside the

> fort of Tippusultan,

> the Hanumanji there is supposed to be very powerful.

> It seems two Hindu

> soldiers of Tippu who were stationed there carved a

> figure of hanuman on

> the rock and later it was made into a proper temple.

>

>

>

> We left for Guruvayur in the evening in a taxi,

> since we would not allow

> our friend to drive due to a sudden heavy downpour

> and we had to skip

> our plan to visit Vadakkanatha temple in Trichur as

> a result. Next

> morning we went to the temple of Guruvayurappan .

> There was a huge crowd

> with a queue extending far beyond the entrance to

> the temple due to the

> day being Good Friday a holiday and when we almost

> got reconciled to

> see the Lord from outside Guruvayurappan willed

> otherwise and our

> friend took us to the queue of senior citizens which

> was not too long

> and we were able to have the darsan within an hour.

>

>

>

> The feeling I had on seeing the Lord was something I

> have never

> experienced earlier even when the temple was not

> crowded. We were not

> even allowed to go very near the sannidhi , may be

> due to excessive

> crowd, but the moment I stood in front of the Lord

> I could feel the

> vibrations of divine joy coursing through me and

> this feeling I could

> experience again only in Trivandrum in the temple

> Padmanabha and in

> Thirukurungudi temple , Thirunelveli, though I

> visited many temples

> during our tour. These were the three places where

> I could feel the

> divine presence

>

>

>

>

>

> We could not do the thulabharam as planned due to

> the place being

> overcrowded and we left for Ernakulam thinking that

> perhaps the Lord

> wants us to come again for tulabhatram.

>

>

>

> When we reached Ernakulam our Indukumar of Guruvayur

> group came to meet

> us at the station. It was the initiative of

> Chandrasekhara menon of our

> group to inform her of our arrival and she

> communicated with me before

> our departure and booked our stay in Bharat hotel

> and also arranged for

> a taxi to take us around. She and her husband helped

> us with the luggage

> and left us in the hotel.

>

>

>

> The next day we went to Thirupanithura to the temple

> Poornathraya sayee,

> of which Indu has written about, and to the Hill

> palace, Thirupanithura,

> which houses several art pieces and jewels etc. It

> was really fantastic.

> We climbed the steps more than 60 I am sure,

> realizing only when we went

> half way up that there is a road around for car to

> travel. Nether our

> driver knew it nor the man who sold the tickets told

> us!. We managed to

> call the car for climbing down though, which was

> just as well as it

> started raining. But it was worthwhile though. In

> the confusion of

> calling the car etc we forgot to buy the postcards

> showing the art

> pieces of the museum.

>

>

>

> Then we went to cochin and visited the Mattancheri

> palace and saw the

> mythological murals, depicting the whole of Ramayana

> there. To climb the

> stairs for the museum was a task and a fellow

> tourist a Frenchman helped

> me by offering his arm. Inside I ventured to go down

> to the Queens

> bedroom to see the murals there through narrow and

> steep steps and I had

> a tough time climbing up that nearly gave my husband

> a heart attack!.

>

>

>

> Aferwards we rode round the port of cochin and saw

> the Chinese nets and

> walked along the spice street in Jewish town but

> the synagogue was

> closed due to some festival season. In the evening

> we went to the Siva

> temple of Ernakulam which was right opposite our

> hotel and a Hanuman

> temple adjacent to it which contained a beautiful

> hanumanji and several

> statues inside. It was really worth seeing.

>

>

>

> The next day Indu took us to chotanikara temple

> in her car and the

> day being auspicious there was a huge crowd and when

> we gave up the hope

> of getting in Indu talked to some temple authorities

> and we were taken

> inside through a special entrance and were able to

> have the darsan in

> few minutes

>

>

>

> The rest of the morning was spent in the house of

> Indu with her husband

> and daughter. Mr Kumar is very knowledgeable and he

> and my husband

> became friends at once. Surya the daughter of Indu

> was quite charming

> too and we had delightful time with all of them

> Their house is itself a

> museum of art pieces and they also have a lovely

> garden, a rarity in

> Chennai. Our visit to their hous is the best part of

> our trip to

> Ernakulam.

>

>

>

> Indu also saw us off to Trivandrum where we were met

> by

=== message truncated ===

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Dear Madam

If you wish to read more in elaborate detail about Sri Padmanabhaswamy

Temple at Trivandrum, there is an excellent book written by Gouri

Lakshmi Bai of the Travancore Palace. I think the price was around

Rs.500/- when I inquired about 3 years ago. I happened to go there

after

reading this book. It made it even more interesting.

Incidents such as the Hanuman appearing in person to save the temple

from a major fire accident that happened a few years ago (might sound

like a tale, but its not, as according to this supposedly authentic

book, some people who witnessed this divine event are still alive), how

people who clean the temple premises used to hear the roar of lion

inside the temple (referring to Sri Narasimha) etc In addition to these

miracles, the author has dealt with historical events, the various

Maharajas and their contributions too.

She has also talked about the "guhyam" behind Sri Padmanabhaswamy's

idol and also the use of 1008 salagramas in the main idol. So

scintillating! I have goose pimples when I think about the narrations.

Best wishes

R. Kasthuri Rangan

sarojram18 wrote:

Our tour to Kerala

Kerala,

God's own country!

It is true because you

can see more of God's creations in Kerala than anywhere else. I

other lands man has destroyed what God has created. I mean the wealth

of nature. The green forests and the coconut trees and other natural

scenes of beauty can be enjoyed only in Kerala wherever you travel.

Though our trip was a short one and we could not have an extended tour

all over Kerala due to our age (even this was quite exhausting) we had

a brief but memorable experience.

We went to Palghat where a friend

Dr.Jaikrishnamenon lived to proceed to Palghat from

there as he wished to take us in his car. We spent some time with his

family and went to the Guruvayur temple in Palghat maintained by

Chinmaya mission. It is just beautiful and Guruvayurappan is charming .

The murals along the wall of the sannidhi depicted scens from

dasavathara and there were some other paintings on the wall in the

meditation hall. I could not drag myself away from the place. It is

very well maintained and visitors to Palghat should not miss it.

We went to a Hanuman temple in Palghat

inside the fort of Tippusultan, the Hanumanji there is supposed to be

very powerful. It seems two Hindu soldiers of Tippu who were stationed

there carved a figure of hanuman on the rock and later it was made into

a proper temple.

We left for Guruvayur in the evening

in a taxi, since we would not allow our friend to drive due to a sudden

heavy downpour and we had to skip our plan to

visit Vadakkanatha temple in Trichur as a result. Next morning we went

to the temple of Guruvayurappan .

There was a huge crowd with a queue extending far beyond the entrance

to the temple due to the day being Good Friday a holiday and

when we almost got reconciled to see the Lord from outside Guruvayurappan

willed otherwise and our friend took us to the queue of senior citizens

which was not too long and we were able to have the darsan within an

hour.

The feeling I had on seeing the Lord

was something I have never experienced earlier even when the temple was

not crowded. We were not even allowed to go very near the sannidhi ,

may be due to excessive crowd, but the moment I stood in front of

the Lord I could feel the vibrations of divine joy coursing through me

and this feeling I could experience again only in

Trivandrum in the temple Padmanabha and in Thirukurungudi temple ,

Thirunelveli, though I visited many temples during our tour. These

were the three places where I could feel the divine presence

We could not do the thulabharam

as planned due to the place being overcrowded and we

left for Ernakulam thinking that perhaps the Lord wants us to come

again for tulabhatram.

When we

reached Ernakulam our Indukumar of Guruvayur group came to meet us at

the station. It was the initiative of Chandrasekhara menon of

our group to inform her of our arrival and she communicated with me

before our departure and booked our stay in Bharat hotel and also

arranged for a taxi to take us around. She and her husband helped us

with the luggage and left us in the hotel.

The next day we went to Thirupanithura

to the temple Poornathraya sayee, of

which Indu has written about, and to the Hill palace, Thirupanithura,

which houses several art pieces and jewels etc. It was really

fantastic. We climbed the steps more than 60 I am sure, realizing only

when we went half way up that there is a road around for car to travel.

Nether our driver knew it nor the man who sold the tickets told us!. We

managed to call the car for climbing down though, which was just as

well as it started raining. But it was worthwhile though. In the

confusion of calling the car etc we forgot to buy the postcards showing

the art pieces of the museum.

Then we went to cochin

and visited the Mattancheri palace and saw the

mythological murals, depicting the whole of Ramayana there. To climb

the stairs for the museum was a task and a fellow tourist a Frenchman

helped me by offering his arm. Inside I ventured to go down to the Queens

bedroom to see the murals there through narrow and steep steps and I

had a tough time climbing up that nearly gave my husband a heart

attack!.

Aferwards we rode round the port

of cochin and saw the Chinese nets and walked along

the spice street in Jewish town but the synagogue was

closed due to some festival season. In the evening we went to the Siva temple

of Ernakulam which was right opposite our hotel

and a Hanuman temple adjacent to it which contained a

beautiful hanumanji and several statues inside. It was really worth

seeing.

The next day Indu took us to

chotanikara temple in her car and the day being

auspicious there was a huge crowd and when we gave up the hope of

getting in Indu talked to some temple authorities and we

were taken inside through a special entrance and were able to have the

darsan in few minutes

The rest of the morning was spent in

the house of Indu with her husband and daughter. Mr Kumar is very

knowledgeable and he and my husband became friends at once. Surya the

daughter of Indu was quite charming too and we had

delightful time with all of them Their house is itself a museum of art

pieces and they also have a lovely garden, a rarity in Chennai. Our

visit to their hous is the best part of our trip to Ernakulam.

Indu also saw us off to Trivandrum

where we were met by another friend from orkut R.Suresh. We went to the

Hotel Aryanivas where Suresh made the bookings earlier.

Next day we took a taxi and went to

Padmanabha temple. We had a good darsan of Padmanabha and Narasimha,

Rama and Hanuman inside the temple. The face of Padmanabha was not very

clearly visible but in spite of that I fell in love with Him the moment

I saw Him. He was simply gorgeous!. If there is one place in Kerala I

would like to return apart from Guruvayur it is the temple

of Padmanabha as I wished that I could stay in front

of the Lord forever.

As we could not see the palace,

art gallery etc . the day being Monday when they are all closed and

we went to varkala Krishna temple in the afternoon.. The Krishna

there is beautiful reminding us of Guruvayurappan

We went to the kudhirmaligai , which

got the name due to the wooden image of horses sculpted

on the roof of the outer wall of the palace. It was the place where

Maharaja SwathithirunaaL used to stay and he built it

especially to be near the temple of Padamanabha

which is adjacent to the palace. It contains paintings and art

pieces whach are very beautiful but the splendour of the place was

mainly due to the aura of n music and learning that is reverberated

through the chambers. Maheraja SwatithitunaaL used to sit in one of his

chambers from where he could see the temple tower of Padmanabha

and compose his songs. It was thrilling to visualize the musicians and

scholars who used to throng the palace chambers in his days. The whole

palace is of wooden structure and an bounds in beautiful carvings on

the ceilings and around.

We went to t chithra art gallery which houses

the paintings of ravivarma and others and went back and

rested for a while and started for Thirunelveli.

We stayed in Hotel Janakiram in Thirunelveli

and visited the Vaishnava divya desams around Thirunelveli. We returned

to Chennai happy but exhausted after a ten day travel .

Guest guest

Thank you for referring about the book.Of course I read about the idol being made of 1008 salgrama but not the other details.If somwon who has the book will wtire asummary ofot it will be useful to the devotees. sarojaRamanujam Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. www.freewebs.com/asrama3

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.