IndiaDivine.org

The Three manthras-namo naaraayaNaaya

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

2.`. namo'

The syllable `ma' in namo or namaH denotes the jiva , the 25ththathva, and it is short for `aham,'= I

The word `nama' can be split as na+ma which means that the seshathva to the Lord excludes also oneself as well. The pranava states that the jiva is sesha to none else than the Lord, while `namaH ` means that the jiva is not independent but subservient to the Lord which removes the notion of `I' and `mine.' This ahamkara and mamakara will not be removed through intellect alone but persists till the embodiment ceases. Only through viveka this can be removed The Upanishat says `anthah pravishtaa Saasthaa janaanaam sarvaathmaa.' The Lord is the inner self and controller of all beings. This is what is denoted by `na ma.'

The gross meaning of `nama,' is bowing to the one who is highest to whom one is subservient , the meaning of `namsa' or bowing down is reflected in body, speech and mind. Then only the `namaskara,' is complete. The mouth saying `namaH,' the body doing the namaskara and the mind also bowing down.

The subtle meaning of `namaH' is that with right understanding that the Lord is the inner self to whom I belong to, dispels the notion of `I' and `mine,' which arise due to beginningless impressions accumulated through ignorance.

The supreme meaning is that `na' denotes the upaaya or the means of attaining the Lord while `ma' indicates that it is all important to do so and the visarga in `namaH,' means the Lord. Together it means that to attain Him He Himself is the upaaya or the principal means.

3. The word naaraayaNa

Naaraas are waters called so because they were born of nara, denoting the Lord, `ra' meaning that which perishes while na ra is that which is eternal. Hence sentient beings are called nara meaning that they are eternal souls .

The Lord created the waters and lay in them and therefore He is called NaaraayaaNa. The waters means all the thathvas. The word `ayana,' meaning that which is the means of attainment. `eeyathe anena,' and also that which is reached, ,eeyathe asou.' In both sense the Lord is the means as well as the goal. Another way of deriving the word `ayana,' is that `eeyathe asmin ithi,' meaning He in whom these are reposited. That is , He is the support or aaDhaara of all. Thus the word naraayaNa denotes His transcendence and imminence.taken as naaraaNaam ayanam it means that He is the abode of all, that is He is all pervading. But taking the word as naaraah ayanam yasya , it means that He resides in everything, as their inner self.

The dative case of the word Narayana, namely naaraayaNaaya, means the offering to Narayana oneself in way of surrender.

4. The seven sacred letters `in `namo naaraayaNayaya.'

na- looking after the welfare of all, helping to incline the mind towards the supreme goal, destroying unworthy qualities that are opposed to it.

ma- Doing good to those who have sought the Lord, securing for them the respect of others.

naa- giving up skepticism.

raa- love for the Lord and give up other attachment .

ya- eagerness to adopt the means of attaining the Lord

Naa- desire to praise the Lord and acquiring the command of language to do so.

ya- drives away evil forces.

All these ar