IndiaDivine.org

Philosophy of Ramanuja-karmayoga

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Section2-Karmayoga

Normally karma is motivated by desire , kaamyakarma. The desire arises out of contact of the senses with the sense objects, when the mind is following the sense experience, resulting in action.. Every action leaves its impression on the mind which is known as vasana, which is accumulated and continues for several births. The beginningless avidhya , ignorance of one's real nature as the sesha of the Lord, gives rise to the notion of `I' and `mine,' the root cause of attachment. This is explained by Krishna in the Gita as `dhyyaytatho vishayaan pumsaH sangaH theshu upajaayathe.' (BG-2..62)Constantly thinking of the sensual objects creates a longing or attachment for them which motivates action which binds us further.

So what should a mumukshu, one seeking release from bondage that causes the cycle of birth and death, do?

The obvious answer seems to be that we should give away action. But even then the desire and attachment may remain. To desist from action but think about them is pseudo renunciation as Krishna tells in the Gita, ` karmndhriyaaNi samyamya ya aasthe manasaa smaran; indhryaarThaan vimooDaathmaa miThyaachaaraH sa uchyathe.'(BG-3.6) One who controls his physical actions but dwells on the sensual experience in mind is a fool and a hypocrite

Hence as karma cannot be avoided s long as one is in embodiment, the only answer is nishkamam karma advocated in the Gita. This consists in abandoning not the deed but the doer-ship and. the fruit of action. This comes out of the awareness that one is the sesha of the Lord and does everything as His kainkarya, surrendering to Him and offering everything done by body, mind and word, to the Lord. `kayena vaachaa mansaendhriyairvaa buddhyaathmanaa vaa prakrthessvabhaavaath ; karomi yath yath sakalam parasmai NaaraayaNaayethi samarpayaami..' This means " whatever I do with my body., words and mind, intellect or by nature and habit, I offer all that to Narayana the Supreme." The same idea is expressed in the Gita as ` yathkaroshi, yadjhaSnaasi yajjuhoshi dhadhaasi yath yaththapasyasi kountheya thath kurushva madharpaNam.'(BG-9.27) " whatever you do, what ever you eat, whatever you offer, whatever you give away,whatever austerity you practice, Arjuna, do that as an offering to Me" Karmadone in the spirit of consecrated service to the Lord is known as kainkarya in the school of Ramanuja, compared with which there is no greater happiness.