IndiaDivine.org

nishkama bhakthi.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Friends, This is a followup to my earlier posting on nishkama bhakthi. Here is a report in the Times of India about working parents spending time with their children in India.Thanks.India’s Working Parents Spend Only Thirty Minutes a Day with Their Kids Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ Working_parents_spend_only_30_minutes_with_kids/articleshow/3010338.cms NEW DELHI, INDIA, May 5, 2008: A recent survey says that couples, if both partners are working, spend not more than 30 minutes a day with their children. Even more alarming is the finding that fathers may not even get that half an hour to interact with their kids. Not surprisingly, the surveyed parents come down hard on themselves, with a staggering 60% of women wishing for a part-time job so that they can concentrate on their offspring along with their career. Of course, gender bias still makes a strong statement in the survey. Most working dads felt that a homemaker mom was the ideal situation. But the idea was not as popular among working mothers. The survey, carried out on a sample 3,000 working couples in various

companies across cities by Assocham’s Social Development Foundation, found that couples spent a majority of the time in office. “A working woman spends nearly 10 hours in office, over 2.5 hours traveling, 6-7 hours sleeping and three hours doing household chores. This leaves her with barely 30 minutes in a day for her kids,” says Venugopal N Dhoot, chairman, Assocham. With little supervision from parents, children are turning to other options, says Dhoot. “TV, computer games, DVD and junk food are popular with kids, instead of outdoor activities,” he says. “Parents who work long or irregular hours are not available for children after school, especially to help with the homework, not able to attend school functions or sports days and not even able to do things together on weekends,” the survey points out.Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh

ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY.

Guest guest

Dear all,

It is very sad to know about the trend of new parents. More than anything, I feel setting an example is the most important. As in Krishna Prsadji's story of Sree Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, ordering or telling the children of things we do not believe or we do not follow will be futile. How can we tell the children not to tell a lie when we tell lies in front of them. When I was 25 years old, I had an eye- opening incident in my life. Let me share that with every body especially with young mothers.

I was in Trivandrum and our son was 31/2 or 4 years old. I used to read a lot of stories to him and he used to love those. One story was about the greatness of truth and like any other mother, I told him never to lie in his life. Of course I was thinking that I am setting an example by not telling lies.

During Utsava season, lot of groups of people come and ask for " pirivu " for utsavam. That morning about three groups came to collect money. So when the fourth group came , my maid asked me whether she can tell those people that nobody is here to give them money. I was also irritated with the constant " pirivu " and told her to say that nobody is at home. She opened the door and told them and they closed the gate and left. Immediately my son came and asked me: " Amme, didn't you tell me that we should never tell a lie and now Janaki(maid's name) told them a lie that amma is not here. Is n't it bad? " He did not hear her consulting me about telling the lie. But I was equally responsible or more responsible for her action.

This simple incident really made me feel very bad and I told my son that it was a mistake on my part and I should not have done that. I could have opened the door and told them that I do not want to contribute this time. He was too young to understand any other apology or explanation. But i realized that I was just a coward and to cover my cowardliness I was making a fool of myself. When I asked him about this incident, he said he could not remember that very clearly, but it will never be erased from my mind. I learnt that, more than what we say, what we do influence them in the later years. When they leave home, they only take the memories with them and those memories should be of value. So I sincerely do think that spending quality time with the children is very important and spending time to live up to what we tell them also is equally important.

God's blessings is the only thing that really matters, but, we have to do our duty as parents. In spite of all our efforts, with out God's blessings, nothing can go right. So I think first step is to pray God to bless us to be good parents and bless the children to become good. Then everything will fall into place.

Regards and prayers

savitri

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

Dear Friends, This is a followup to my earlier posting on nishkama bhakthi. Here is a report in the Times of India about working parents spending time with their children in India.Thanks.

India's Working Parents Spend Only Thirty Minutes a Day with Their Kids

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/

Working_parents_spend_only_30_minutes_with_kids/articleshow/3010338.cms

NEW DELHI, INDIA, May 5, 2008: A recent survey says that couples, if both partners are working, spend not more than 30 minutes a day with their children. Even more alarming is the finding that fathers may not even get that half an hour to interact with their kids. Not surprisingly, the surveyed parents come down hard on themselves, with a staggering 60% of women wishing for a part-time job so that they can concentrate on their offspring along with their career. Of course, gender bias still makes a strong statement in the survey. Most working dads felt that a homemaker mom was the ideal situation. But the idea was not as popular among working mothers.

The survey, carried out on a sample 3,000 working couples in various companies across cities by Assocham's Social Development Foundation, found that couples spent a majority of the time in office. "A working woman spends nearly 10 hours in office, over 2.5 hours traveling, 6-7 hours sleeping and three hours doing household chores. This leaves her with barely 30 minutes in a day for her kids," says Venugopal N Dhoot, chairman, Assocham. With little supervision from parents, children are turning to other options, says Dhoot. "TV, computer games, DVD and junk food are popular with kids, instead of outdoor activities," he says. "Parents who work long or irregular hours are not available for children after school, especially to help with the homework, not able to attend school functions or sports days and not even able to do things together on weekends," the survey points out.

Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY.

Guest guest

Dear all,

Radhe krishna!

The very concept of what is real or true and what is unreal and untrue is, in fact, taught by us only to the children--- why, all bad things in life! When they are born, they are Nirgunas or nis-thrygunyas as Adi sankara puts its. when the child comes and says " Mamma, I got the first rank in the class! " , mamma asks, " really? "

The child starts thinking--- Mother asked me, " really? " What is this " really? " --- She starts pondering. She asks her friends. Friends tell her, " Mamma only asked you whether you were telling truth or lying! "

The child is again puzzled. She comes back in the evening and asks mother, " Mummy, what is telling truth and lying? " Then mummy has no other alternative than to explain what is " true " and what is " untrue " !

Even when Lord Krishna was asked by Yasoda, " Krishna, your friends and your brother Balarama tell me you have eaten mud. Did you or did you not? " Krishna said, " No, dear mother, they are all lying! If you have any doubts, look inside my mouth! " -----------Then we know what followed.

It is a very difficult job for the parents to teach children, the realities of life and bring them up in the right manner, into the path of righteousness. For this, parents have to spend lot of time with them, explaining what is right and what is wrong, with examples. In most of the cases, punishment does not help. But punishment may have also to be resorted to at times, like Yasoda tying up Krishna on the grinding stone. That is why mothers have a greater responsibility in bringing up children, than their fathers.

Regards

KVG

On 5/28/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Dear all,

It is very sad to know about the trend of new parents. More than anything, I feel setting an example is the most important. As in Krishna Prsadji's story of Sree Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, ordering or telling the children of things we do not believe or we do not follow will be futile. How can we tell the children not to tell a lie when we tell lies in front of them. When I was 25 years old, I had an eye- opening incident in my life. Let me share that with every body especially with young mothers.

I was in Trivandrum and our son was 31/2 or 4 years old. I used to read a lot of stories to him and he used to love those. One story was about the greatness of truth and like any other mother, I told him never to lie in his life. Of course I was thinking that I am setting an example by not telling lies.

During Utsava season, lot of groups of people come and ask for " pirivu " for utsavam. That morning about three groups came to collect money. So when the fourth group came , my maid asked me whether she can tell those people that nobody is here to give them money. I was also irritated with the constant " pirivu " and told her to say that nobody is at home. She opened the door and told them and they closed the gate and left. Immediately my son came and asked me: " Amme, didn't you tell me that we should never tell a lie and now Janaki(maid's name) told them a lie that amma is not here. Is n't it bad? " He did not hear her consulting me about telling the lie. But I was equally responsible or more responsible for her action.

This simple incident really made me feel very bad and I told my son that it was a mistake on my part and I should not have done that. I could have opened the door and told them that I do not want to contribute this time. He was too young to understand any other apology or explanation. But i realized that I was just a coward and to cover my cowardliness I was making a fool of myself. When I asked him about this incident, he said he could not remember that very clearly, but it will never be erased from my mind. I learnt that, more than what we say, what we do influence them in the later years. When they leave home, they only take the memories with them and those memories should be of value. So I sincerely do think that spending quality time with the children is very important and spending time to live up to what we tell them also is equally important.

God's blessings is the only thing that really matters, but, we have to do our duty as parents. In spite of all our efforts, with out God's blessings, nothing can go right. So I think first step is to pray God to bless us to be good parents and bless the children to become good. Then everything will fall into place.

Regards and prayers

savitri

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

Dear Friends, This is a followup to my earlier posting on nishkama bhakthi. Here is a report in the Times of India about working parents spending time with their children in India.Thanks.

NEW DELHI, INDIA, May 5, 2008: A recent survey says that couples, if both partners are working, spend not more than 30 minutes a day with their children. Even more alarming is the finding that fathers may not even get that half an hour to interact with their kids. Not surprisingly, the surveyed parents come down hard on themselves, with a staggering 60% of women wishing for a part-time job so that they can concentrate on their offspring along with their career. Of course, gender bias still makes a strong statement in the survey. Most working dads felt that a homemaker mom was the ideal situation. But the idea was not as popular among working mothers.

The survey, carried out on a sample 3,000 working couples in various companies across cities by Assocham's Social Development Foundation, found that couples spent a majority of the time in office. " A working woman spends nearly 10 hours in office, over 2.5 hours traveling, 6-7 hours sleeping and three hours doing household chores. This leaves her with barely 30 minutes in a day for her kids, " says Venugopal N Dhoot, chairman, Assocham. With little supervision from parents, children are turning to other options, says Dhoot. " TV, computer games, DVD and junk food are popular with kids, instead of outdoor activities, " he says. " Parents who work long or irregular hours are not available for children after school, especially to help with the homework, not able to attend school functions or sports days and not even able to do things together on weekends, " the survey points out.

Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY.

Guest guest

Dear Gopalakrishnaji,

You are absolutely right! I hope the young mothers will read your advice and get inspiration.

With respectful regards and prayers

Savitri

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:12 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

Dear all,

Radhe krishna!

The very concept of what is real or true and what is unreal and untrue is, in fact, taught by us only to the children--- why, all bad things in life! When they are born, they are Nirgunas or nis-thrygunyas as Adi sankara puts its. when the child comes and says " Mamma, I got the first rank in the class! " , mamma asks, " really? "

The child starts thinking--- Mother asked me, " really? " What is this " really? " --- She starts pondering. She asks her friends. Friends tell her, " Mamma only asked you whether you were telling truth or lying! "

The child is again puzzled. She comes back in the evening and asks mother, " Mummy, what is telling truth and lying? " Then mummy has no other alternative than to explain what is " true " and what is " untrue " !

Even when Lord Krishna was asked by Yasoda, " Krishna, your friends and your brother Balarama tell me you have eaten mud. Did you or did you not? " Krishna said, " No, dear mother, they are all lying! If you have any doubts, look inside my mouth! " -----------Then we know what followed.

It is a very difficult job for the parents to teach children, the realities of life and bring them up in the right manner, into the path of righteousness. For this, parents have to spend lot of time with them, explaining what is right and what is wrong, with examples. In most of the cases, punishment does not help. But punishment may have also to be resorted to at times, like Yasoda tying up Krishna on the grinding stone. That is why mothers have a greater responsibility in bringing up children, than their fathers.

Regards

KVG

On 5/28/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Dear all,

Regards and prayers

savitri

The survey, carried out on a sample 3,000 working couples in various companies across cities by Assocham's Social Development Foundation, found that couples spent a majority of the time in office. " A working woman spends nearly 10 hours in office, over 2.5 hours traveling, 6-7 hours sleeping and three hours doing household chores. This leaves her with barely 30 minutes in a day for her kids, " says Venugopal N Dhoot, chairman, Assocham. With little supervision from parents, children are turning to other options, says Dhoot. " TV, computer games, DVD and junk food are popular with kids, instead of outdoor activities, " he says. " Parents who work long or irregular hours are not available for children after school, especially to help with the homework, not able to attend school functions or sports days and not even able to do things together on weekends, " the survey points out.