IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Guru 11

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

Moth is Dattathreya's next Guru. They are attracted by fire.(in Malayaalam we call " iyyaampaatta " for this type of moth).

Scientific explanation of this attraction is that they are positively phototactic (they are attracted towards light) and creatures like cockroaches are negatively phototactic. But why do they go so near the fire and get burnt by it? Another explanation is that " a moth's attraction to an artificial light or fire could be related to orientation, and then lead to disorientation -- the moth wasn't " expecting " to actually get to the light source or to be able to fly above it, so confusion results " (from how stuff works).

It is interesting to look at it philosophically and then we can see why Dattathreya accepted moth as a guru to be followed and at the same time a guru, not to be followed. Are they driven by greed and desire over which they have no control? Is moth a symbol of self destruction? May be we can think in a little bit different way. When it saw the fire of wisdom, it forgot everything about his insignificant life as a moth and merged in to fire, burning the manifested form of a moth.

Dattathreya told King Yadu: moth is certainly a great guru. One action of his, namely getting attracted by the fire and then getting consumed by the tongues of flame teaches me two lessons.

1. One lesson is not to be like a moth. Do not be driven by greed, desire and blind love. It will result in self destruction and lead to endless cycle of birth and death. Do not be blinded by the transient pleasures, but explore the path leading to eternal happiness.

2. Follow my way. Keep moving towards the fire of wisdom. Leaving aside your material bag and baggage, go forward towards the bright light. Once you are near it, you will forget about everything else and the small lamp burning inside you (jeevatma) merges with the eternal lamp (paramaatma.)

In most of the interpretations only the first advice is mentioned. But when I read about the second one in an article, I really liked the entirely different perception and included that also. It can be taken like this: " moth is indirectly telling us to remove inertia and laziness by persistently seeking purpose and meaning in our life. Yet we should remain mindful of the pitfalls of foolish impulses like lust and greed that would lead to self destruction.

Here is a poem by an unknown author taken from my collection:

Round her flaming heart they hover, Lured by loveliness they go Moth-like, every man a lover, Captive to its gleam and glow.

Old and young, the blind and blinking,-- Fascinated, frenzied things,-- How they flutter, never thinking What a doom awaits their wings!

It is all the same old story,-- Pleasure hung upon a breath: Just a chance to taste of glory Draws a legion down to death.

Fire is dangerous to handle; Love is an uncertain flame; But the game is worth the candle When the candle's worth the game!

Regards and prayers

savitri