IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Chanting of Naamam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kurooramma

and a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.

As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower and

wearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.

Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and clean

body. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not say

their prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areas

where poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scriptures

uttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.

Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasu

sarvada " , means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. But

usually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to miss

prayers with out guilt.

Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out any

hesitation during this " inauspicious " time too. Vilawamangalam

Swamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doing

naamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that she

might be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one day

during one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit her

house and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasam

usually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. He

was very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.

He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing far

behind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those days

Nambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their own

brothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happened

through a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma is

chanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the month and can

you ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all younger

devotees " . Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please ask

Vilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during my

periods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch any

woman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do not

know about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chant

naamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and join

my Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mind

to go past him towards Krishna. "

Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram to

Kurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling and

waving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.

This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him any

day of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find different

excuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands and

thousands of reasons.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Guest guest

Hareeeeeeeeeeee Krishnaaaaaaaaaa!Dear SavithrijiThank you a lot! I too was of the opinion that we should chant always, irrespective of what stage you are in! In fact there was a controversy about this in a group too....

Whatever, things are much clearer now ! A million tons of thanks !!best regardsjayasree menon 2008/6/17 Savitri Puram <savitriopuram:

Dear all,

This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kurooramma

and a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.

As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower and

wearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.

Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and clean

body. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not say

their prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areas

where poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scriptures

uttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.

Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasu

sarvada " , means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. But

usually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to miss

prayers with out guilt.

Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out any

hesitation during this " inauspicious " time too. Vilawamangalam

Swamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doing

naamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that she

might be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one day

during one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit her

house and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasam

usually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. He

was very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.

He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing far

behind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those days

Nambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their own

brothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happened

through a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma is

chanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the month and can

you ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all younger

devotees " . Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please ask

Vilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during my

periods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch any

woman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do not

know about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chant

naamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and join

my Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mind

to go past him towards Krishna. "

Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram to

Kurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling and

waving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.

This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him any

day of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find different

excuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands and

thousands of reasons.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

Namajapam can be done any time.A devotee who is always thinking of the Lorrd cannot help doing so even on inauspicious days. So sayng the name in the mind cannot be stopped then why not aloud? There was a question in one of the groups about women chanting Vishnusahasranamam and I am giving below my answer to it.

'Vedam chanting is not done by women , may be by some code of conduct manmade or what I do not know and I reserve my opinion about this and not prepared to enter into controversy with those who believe in tradition. But Vishnu sahasranama and Aditya hrdayam appear in ithihasas and not in vedas.To say that they should not be chanted by women is a sin and must have been originated from purely male chauvenism. All sahasranama sthothras occur in puranas and Ithihasas which were composed with the specific purpose of reaching out to those who cannot read the vedas. To raise a doubt like this in this age is difficult to be understood.In the vedic age even women were supposed to have learnt the vedas though not all. Women were invested with

yajnopavita and used to do sandhya. Hanuman was said to mention that Seetha will come near the river to do sandhya and waited in Ashokavana. I read this in some authentic source though I cannot remember which one.Moreover in modern times when scriptural-learning is becoming a rarity, to restrict it to a few by birth and sex is pitiable. When Ramanuja shouted the ashtakshara from the temple tower were there only iyengar males in the audience?

Krishna says. 'api cheth sudhuraachaaro bajathe maam ananya bhaak saadhureva sa manthavyah,' are women inferior even to sudhurachara, a most wicked person? The Lord says 'kountheya prathijaaneehi na me bhakthah pranasyathi' and is He gi oing to throw in to hell his female devotee in hell because she recited the scriptures?

If any one tells me that I will go to hell because I recite vishnusahasranama or adityahrdayam or even srisuktham etc. I would rather say "let me go to hell reciting His name because He has said 'na me bhakthah praNasyathi' and He will protect me even in hell.Prahlada told Hiranya that the Lord will not protect him if Hiranya tries to stab him because He will not allow Hiranya even to pull out his sword in the first place. All rituals like japa and chanting manthras etc is to purify your anthahkarana and when the Lord has taken abode in your heart what else do you need? It is sarvadharn man parithyajya maamekam SaraNam vraja because He has affirmed 'aham thvaam sarva paapebhyah mokshayishyami.' One last word. In this world only He is the Purusha all the

rest are irrespective of the sex they were born in are only females according to madhurabhakthi.'

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Chanting of Naamamguruvayur Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 3:46 AM

Dear Jayashreeji,

I think controversy will be still there. But so many scriptures mention that Naamajapam can be done any time. There is a collection of articles published by the Guruvayurappan bhajana samithi called Naama Maahatmyam. In several of those essays written by great devotees (like, Aanjam Maadhavan Nambudiri, Akkittham, Thaamarasseri Bhattathiri, K.P naaraayana Pisharody, Ottoor Unni Nambudiripad ) it is mentioned that any body can chant naamam any time. May be you know this great malayaalam slokam by Ottoor:

Aapatthil bandhuvaayum ripuvotu poruthumpol chattayaayum

sampatthil kshaanthiyaayum paniyute avasaanatthil vishraanthiyaayum

Vaazhumpol swargamaaayum mruthi smayam atukkumpol vaikundhamaayum

theerneennum praanivargatthinu thunayarulam naamamae velvoo thaaka

ആപതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ ബനàµà´§àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµà´‚ à´°à´¿à´ªàµà´µàµ‹à´Ÿàµ പൊരàµà´¤àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´šà´Ÿàµà´Ÿà´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚സമàµà´ªà´¤àµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ à´•àµà´·à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚ പണിയàµà´Ÿàµ† അവസാനതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ വിശàµà´°à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚വാഴàµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´¸àµà´µà´°àµâ€à´—മായàµà´‚ മൃതി സമയമടàµà´•àµà´•àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ "വൈകàµà´¨àµà´¤à´®à´¾à´¯àµà´‚" (wrong)തീരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¨àµà´¨àµà´‚ "à´ªàµà´°à´¾à´£à´¿à´µà´°àµà´—à´Ÿàµà´¤à´¿à´¨àµ à´¤àµà´¨à´¯à´°àµà´³àµà´‚" നാമമേ വെലàµà´µàµ‚ താക (wrong)

Jayashreeji, in the google indic, I am not able to write Vaikundham correcly. Also praanivargatthinu Thunayarulum also is not coming correct. Please excuse me. Hope you can read. If you are interested I will type in Varamozhi and send it to you later.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com> wrote:

Hareeeeeeeeeeee Krishnaaaaaaaaaa!Dear SavithrijiThank you a lot! I too was of the opinion that we should chant always, irrespective of what stage you are in! In fact there was a controversy about this in a group too....Whatever, things are much clearer now ! A million tons of thanks !!best regardsjayasree menon

2008/6/17 Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>:

Dear all,This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kuroorammaand a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower andwearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and cleanbody. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not saytheir prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areaswhere poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scripturesuttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasusarvada", means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. Butusually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to missprayers with out guilt.Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out

anyhesitation during this "inauspicious" time too. VilawamangalamSwamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doingnaamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that shemight be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one dayduring one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit herhouse and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasamusually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. Hewas very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing farbehind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those daysNambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their ownbrothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happenedthrough a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma ischanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the

month and canyou ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all youngerdevotees". Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please askVilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during myperiods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch anywoman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do notknow about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chantnaamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and joinmy Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mindto go past him towards Krishna."Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram toKurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling andwaving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him anyday of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find

differentexcuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands andthousands of reasons.Regards and prayersSavitri-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna !

Harinamakirthanam ( sloka 19 ) :

" Rithuvaya Penninnumirappanum Dahakanum

Pathithannumagniyajanam cheytha Bhoosuranum

Harinamakeerthanmithorunalumarkumuda-

naruthathathalla Hari Narayanaya Namah !!!

As exemplified by Kururooamma , a Devotee can please his/her Ishta-Devatha Sree Krishna , by Nama-Japam . Just fix the mind on Sree Krishna and chant His names as constantly as possible . This is the greatest Ritual for "Kali-yugam" .

Narayana!!!

guruvayur , "Savitri Puram" <savitriopuram wrote:>> Dear Jayashreeji,> > I think controversy will be still there. But so many scriptures mention that> Naamajapam can be done any time. There is a collection of articles published> by the Guruvayurappan bhajana samithi called Naama Maahatmyam. In several of> those essays written by great devotees (like, Aanjam Maadhavan Nambudiri,> Akkittham, Thaamarasseri Bhattathiri, K.P naaraayana Pisharody, Ottoor Unni> Nambudiripad ) it is mentioned that any body can chant naamam any time. May> be you know this great malayaalam slokam by Ottoor:> > Aapatthil bandhuvaayum ripuvotu poruthumpol chattayaayum> sampatthil kshaanthiyaayum paniyute avasaanatthil vishraanthiyaayum> Vaazhumpol swargamaaayum mruthi smayam atukkumpol vaikundhamaayum> theerneennum praanivargatthinu thunayarulam naamamae velvoo thaaka> > ആപതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ ബനàµà´§àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµà´‚ à´°à´¿à´ªàµà´µàµ‹à´Ÿàµ പൊരàµà´¤àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´šà´Ÿàµà´Ÿà´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚> സമàµà´ªà´¤àµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ à´•àµà´·à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚ പണിയàµà´Ÿàµ† അവസാനതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ വിശàµà´°à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚> വാഴàµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´¸àµà´µà´°àµâ€à´—മായàµà´‚ മൃതി സമയമടàµà´•àµà´•àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ "വൈകàµà´¨àµà´¤à´®à´¾à´¯àµà´‚" (wrong)> തീരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¨àµà´¨àµà´‚ "à´ªàµà´°à´¾à´£à´¿à´µà´°àµà´—à´Ÿàµà´¤à´¿à´¨àµ à´¤àµà´¨à´¯à´°àµà´³àµà´‚" നാമമേ വെലàµà´µàµ‚ താക (wrong)> Jayashreeji, in the google indic, I am not able to write Vaikundham> correcly. Also praanivargatthinu Thunayarulum also is not coming correct.> Please excuse me. Hope you can read. If you are interested I will type in> Varamozhi and send it to you later.> > > Regards and prayers> > Savitri> > > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Jayasree Menon euroanuster wrote:> > > Hareeeeeeeeeeee Krishnaaaaaaaaaa!> >> > Dear Savithriji> >> > Thank you a lot! I too was of the opinion that we should chant always,> > irrespective of what stage you are in! In fact there was a controversy> > about this in a group too....> >> > Whatever, things are much clearer now ! A million tons of thanks !!> >> > best regards> >> > jayasree menon> >> > 2008/6/17 Savitri Puram savitriopuram:> >> > Dear all,> >>> >> This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kurooramma> >> and a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.> >>> >> As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower and> >> wearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.> >> Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and clean> >> body. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not say> >> their prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areas> >> where poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scriptures> >> uttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.> >> Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasu> >> sarvada", means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. But> >> usually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to miss> >> prayers with out guilt.> >>> >> Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out any> >> hesitation during this "inauspicious" time too. Vilawamangalam> >> Swamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doing> >> naamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that she> >> might be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one day> >> during one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit her> >> house and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasam> >> usually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. He> >> was very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.> >>> >> He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing far> >> behind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those days> >> Nambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their own> >> brothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happened> >> through a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma is> >> chanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the month and can> >> you ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all younger> >> devotees". Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please ask> >> Vilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during my> >> periods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch any> >> woman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do not> >> know about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chant> >> naamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and join> >> my Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mind> >> to go past him towards Krishna."> >>> >> Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram to> >> Kurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling and> >> waving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.> >>> >> This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him any> >> day of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find different> >> excuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands and> >> thousands of reasons.> >>> >> Regards and prayers> >>> >> Savitri> >>> >> >> >> > --> > Best regards> >> > Jayasree Menon> > Bangalore> > +9900149461> >> > --> > A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal> > leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Dear Sarojamji,

Thank you for throwing more light into this subject. I am in perfect agreement with you. I never chanted Veda manthraas during my so called " inauspicious " time. But I do chant Veda manthraas everyday with out swaram. I asked my father who translated Rigvedam to Malayalam about his opinion about chanting vedaas by women. He told me " I am not an authority to tell " yes " or " no " on this. Your mother never chants it and she does not even say " aum " . But several manthraas in the Rigveda are written by Maharshinis or female sages and in my opinion, if you feel happy and comfortable to chant veda manthraas, you can do that. But do not do if you are not comfortable. " I am so happy to chant Saaraswatham, Bhaaghyasooktham, eikamathya sooktham, Sarvaroga shaman manthram etc, and I am doing it regularly. Of course it took almost one year for me to learn Saaraswatham, I was listening to the CD produced by Trichur Brahmaswom Madhom for one year.

But I get immense pleasure in chanting those even though I do not understand the meaning fully. So many people have discouraged me to do this telling that women cannot do that. I am just holding on to what my father told and continue doing that. Even though my mother never uttered any of these, she never said " no " to me. She used to say that everybody does their prayers differently. Sincerity is that matters. She had memorized whole Naarayaneeyam and whole Devi Maahathmyam and chanted those as Sapthaaham as long as I can remember. I have seen her chanting naamam all the time. Even in her " inauspicious " time, she will get up in braahmamuhurtham and sit on her thin paaya and sheet on the floor and chanted naamam. She believed that sleeping in the brahamamuhurtham is inauspicious even in the " inauspicious " time. When she was in her death bed , we all chanted Vishnu sahasra naamam and Vishnu bhujanga prayaatham and she had a very very peaceful death.

I did not write this to get into any controversy. I just wanted to share how I felt about it and how my pious parents helped me to focus on the sincerity of prayer than anything else. They taught me that as long as the prayer is sincere, it will reach God irrespective of who does it and when it is done. Kulam, gothram, varnam, male, female and all these differences are only for us. Lord Krishna does not see any of these. For Him, Sudaama, Arjuna, shabari, Ambarisha and any other devotee is equal.

Thank you Sarojamji.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

2008/6/18 Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18:

Namajapam can be done any time.A devotee who is always thinking of the Lorrd cannot help doing so even on inauspicious days. So sayng the name in the mind cannot be stopped then why not aloud? There was a question in one of the groups about women chanting Vishnusahasranamam and I am giving below my answer to it.

'Vedam chanting is not done by women , may be by some code of conduct manmade or what I do not know and I reserve my opinion about this and not prepared to enter into controversy with those who believe in tradition. But Vishnu sahasranama and Aditya hrdayam appear in ithihasas and not in vedas.To say that they should not be chanted by women is a sin and must have been originated from purely male chauvenism. All sahasranama sthothras occur in puranas and Ithihasas which were composed with the specific purpose of reaching out to those who cannot read the vedas. To raise a doubt like this in this age is difficult to be understood.In the vedic age even women were supposed to have learnt the vedas though not all. Women were invested with yajnopavita and used to do sandhya. Hanuman was said to mention that Seetha will come near the river to do sandhya and waited in Ashokavana. I read this in some authentic source though I cannot remember which one.Moreover in modern times when scriptural-learning is becoming a rarity, to restrict it to a few by birth and sex is pitiable. When Ramanuja shouted the ashtakshara from the temple tower were there only iyengar males in the audience?

Krishna says. 'api cheth sudhuraachaaro bajathe maam ananya bhaak saadhureva sa manthavyah,' are women inferior even to sudhurachara, a most wicked person? The Lord says 'kountheya prathijaaneehi na me bhakthah pranasyathi' and is He gi oing to throw in to hell his female devotee in hell because she recited the scriptures?

If any one tells me that I will go to hell because I recite vishnusahasranama or adityahrdayam or even srisuktham etc. I would rather say " let me go to hell reciting His name because He has said 'na me bhakthah praNasyathi' and He will protect me even in hell.Prahlada told Hiranya that the Lord will not protect him if Hiranya tries to stab him because He will not allow Hiranya even to pull out his sword in the first place. All rituals like japa and chanting manthras etc is to purify your anthahkarana and when the Lord has taken abode in your heart what else do you need? It is sarvadharn man parithyajya maamekam SaraNam vraja because He has affirmed 'aham thvaam sarva paapebhyah mokshayishyami.' One last word. In this world only He is the Purusha all the rest are irrespective of the sex they were born in are only females according to madhurabhakthi.'

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Chanting of Naamam

guruvayur Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 3:46 AM

Dear Jayashreeji,

I think controversy will be still there. But so many scriptures mention that Naamajapam can be done any time. There is a collection of articles published by the Guruvayurappan bhajana samithi called Naama Maahatmyam. In several of those essays written by great devotees (like, Aanjam Maadhavan Nambudiri, Akkittham, Thaamarasseri Bhattathiri, K.P naaraayana Pisharody, Ottoor Unni Nambudiripad ) it is mentioned that any body can chant naamam any time. May be you know this great malayaalam slokam by Ottoor:

Aapatthil bandhuvaayum ripuvotu poruthumpol chattayaayum

sampatthil kshaanthiyaayum paniyute avasaanatthil vishraanthiyaayum

Vaazhumpol swargamaaayum mruthi smayam atukkumpol vaikundhamaayum

theerneennum praanivargatthinu thunayarulam naamamae velvoo thaaka

ആപതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ ബനàµà´§àµà´µà´¾à´¯àµà´‚ à´°à´¿à´ªàµà´µàµ‹à´Ÿàµ പൊരàµà´¤àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´šà´Ÿàµà´Ÿà´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚സമàµà´ªà´¤àµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ à´•àµà´·à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚ പണിയàµà´Ÿàµ† അവസാനതàµà´¤à´¿à´²àµâ€ വിശàµà´°à´¾à´¨àµà´¤à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´‚വാഴàµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ à´¸àµà´µà´°àµâ€à´—മായàµà´‚ മൃതി സമയമടàµà´•àµà´•àµà´®àµà´ªàµ‹à´³àµâ€ " വൈകàµà´¨àµà´¤à´®à´¾à´¯àµà´‚ " (wrong)തീരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¨àµà´¨àµà´‚ " à´ªàµà´°à´¾à´£à´¿à´µà´°àµà´—à´Ÿàµà´¤à´¿à´¨àµ à´¤àµà´¨à´¯à´°àµà´³àµà´‚ " നാമമേ വെലàµà´µàµ‚ താക (wrong)

Jayashreeji, in the google indic, I am not able to write Vaikundham correcly. Also praanivargatthinu Thunayarulum also is not coming correct. Please excuse me. Hope you can read. If you are interested I will type in Varamozhi and send it to you later.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster@ gmail.com> wrote:

Hareeeeeeeeeeee Krishnaaaaaaaaaa!Dear SavithrijiThank you a lot! I too was of the opinion that we should chant always, irrespective of what stage you are in! In fact there was a controversy about this in a group too....

Whatever, things are much clearer now ! A million tons of thanks !!best regardsjayasree menon

Dear all,This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kuroorammaand a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower and

wearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and cleanbody. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not saytheir prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areas

where poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scripturesuttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasusarvada " , means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. But

usually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to missprayers with out guilt.Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out anyhesitation during this " inauspicious " time too. Vilawamangalam

Swamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doingnaamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that shemight be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one dayduring one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit her

house and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasamusually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. Hewas very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing far

behind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those daysNambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their ownbrothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happenedthrough a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma is

chanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the month and canyou ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all youngerdevotees " . Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please ask

Vilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during myperiods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch anywoman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do notknow about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chant

naamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and joinmy Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mindto go past him towards Krishna. " Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram to

Kurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling andwaving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him anyday of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find different

excuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands andthousands of reasons.Regards and prayersSavitri

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

GOOD EXAMPLE....THANKS FOR THIS ONE...

On 6/20/08, Ammu Shinu <ammushinu2005 wrote:

Hare Ramaaaa Hare Krishnaaaa

Savithrii it is nice advice to everyone to make clear those controvacy which is having people mind--- On Wed, 6/18/08, Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Jayasree Menon <euroanuster

Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Chanting of Naamamguruvayur Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 5:53 AM

Whatever, things are much clearer now ! A million tons of thanks !!best regardsjayasree menon

Dear all,This is the story of a very pious Nambudiri woman called Kuroorammaand a great Guruvayurappa devotee Vilwamangalam Swamiyar.As per our Hindu belief, prayer should be done after taking shower and

wearing clean clothes. Actually cleaning is applied to mind as well.Scriptures insist that we should pray with a clear mind and cleanbody. Because of this aachaaram or rule, women usually do not saytheir prayers during their monthly periods. They stay away from areas

where poojas and bhajans are done. Of course no where in scripturesuttering of God's name or naamajapam is prohibited during any time.Naamam can be chanted " shuchir va ashuchir va sarvaavashtaasusarvada " , means clean or dirty, one can chant naamam all the time. But

usually women take those six or seven days as good excuse to missprayers with out guilt.Kurooramma used to do naama japam ( only naamam) with out anyhesitation during this " inauspicious " time too. Vilawamangalam

Swamiyar heard about this and was very upset that she was doingnaamajapam during this time with out hesitation. He worried that shemight be setting a bad example for all other devotees. So one dayduring one of her inauspicious time Vilwamangalm happened to visit her

house and he heard her chanting naamam. He noticed that the paayasamusually made by her was missing that day and he guessed the reason. Hewas very disturbed to hear her loud chanting of naamam.He asked Kurooramma's servant Madhavi (Kurooramma was standing far

behind the door paying respect to Vilwamangalam. In those daysNambudiri women were not supposed to see any other men than their ownbrothers and husbands and usually all the conversation happenedthrough a maid servant or children.) " I heard that Kurooramma is

chanting naamam even during the inauspicious time of the month and canyou ask her why she is doing that setting a bad example to all youngerdevotees " . Kurooramma told the servant, " Madhavi, please ask

Vilwamangalam whether he can assure me that I will not die during myperiods. If he can give an assurance that death will not touch anywoman during that time, I will give up chanting. As long as I do notknow about the uncertain death walking towards me, I have to chant

naamam to greet Yamadeva and then say good bye to him and go and joinmy Krishna. Yamadeva lets only people with namam in their lips or mindto go past him towards Krishna. " Vilwamangalam did not have an answer and he did namaskaaram to

Kurooramma and to his great surprise, he saw Baalagopaalan smiling andwaving at him holding Kurooramma's mundu or dhothi.This story leaves us with absolutely no excuse not to think of Him anyday of our short life! Let Guruvayurappan not make us find different

excuses to forget Him! Let Him make us think of Him for thousands andthousands of reasons.Regards and prayersSavitri

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.