IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Sita and parrots

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake.

As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that.

When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions. "

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.

My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah.

In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.

By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

RegardsKVG.

Savitri Puram wrote:

Dear all,

This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her.

Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me " .

Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate " .

Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : " You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy " .

Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain.

According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

Regards and prayers

savitri

Guest guest

HARIAUMThankyou Smt Savitri Puram for the thought-provoking mythological story. The beauty of this story (like many othermythological stories) is that it is very much relevant to the present stage in thedevelopment of human social life. Also,Shri KV Gopalakrishnaji was very kind to share with fellow devotees hisintimate personal life experiences, demonstrating the same principle – "to be considerate to otherfellow creatures' feelings and pains" / "never keep birds, animals, etc., incaptivity".CAPTIVITYin all forms SHOULD BE CONDEMNED: In true devotion to God. Ashuman civilization progresses, the concept that everything in this universe isa manifestation of Him, the Brahman, is being realised by more and more peopleand the above principles get widely accepted. And we see the wisdom in: Vasudeiva Kutumbakam and Loka SamastaSukhino Bhavantu. Five orsix decades back the practice of keeping caged birds was very common. And then naturally, freeing caged birds cameto be considered as a noble deed. Andour leaders did not lose the opportunity and started releasing caged birds in largenumbers in every public function to loudly demonstrate their nobility! And birds were ruthlessly caught and cagedfor such functions – an opportunistic money spinning business! And the greatest casualty was most ironicallythe pigeon, the very symbol of peace! This hypocrisy had its natural death, though very slowly over manydecades. Thoughcommercialization of the dumb creatures, right from the tiny butter flies tomammoth elephants, still continues, the society in general had become moreconscious about these cruelties and may be in another couple of decades thingswill change drastically to the relief of these fellow beings. However,we Guruvayurappan devotees should consider seriously at every step to cause theleast harm to other fellow beings. Notonly our own direct actions, but all those we see around. May be Guruvayurappan wants to test how wereact when some of His other manifestations are being ill-treated in our neighborhoods. So we can't afford to look the other way. It may not be possible to stop all thosetraditional practices in one stroke. Butwe should think about it and freely express our frank opinion with the leastoffence to others. Hence, in true spirit of Bhagavad GitaIV–47, let us start talking out our mind today, in the interest ofGuruvayurappan - things may change in due course. Lest our silence will be convenientlyconstrued as consent for these cruelties by the vested interests and theatrocities will continue. WithRegards to all,Yourssincerely,NBNair. guruvayur , "Savitri Puram" <savitriopuram wrote:>> Dear all,> > > This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of> Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in> her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing> beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana> story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where> Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the> parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots> and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and> Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they> stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl> in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one> day to marry her.> > Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday.> Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to> go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the> children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and> enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was> captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I> shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me".> > Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come> back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from> her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, "Since> you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will> have to experience the same fate" .> > Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died.> Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to> the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : "You killed my> beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in> Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your> pregnancy".> > Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and> brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the> washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the> forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from> her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has> to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results> will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.> > Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going> through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam.> This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings> and pain.> > According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like> bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of> sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of> dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that> we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played> with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction> of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will> bounce back on us.> > Regards and prayers> > savitri>

Guest guest

Dear Nairji,I agree 100% with you. Thank you for the very nice explanation and interpretations. This is why our Guruvayurappan satsangam is great.Regards and prayersSavitri

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:26 AM, NB Nair <nbnair2000 wrote:

HARIAUMThankyou Smt Savitri Puram for the thought-provoking mythological story. The beauty of this story (like many othermythological stories) is that it is very much relevant to the present stage in thedevelopment of human social life. Also,Shri KV Gopalakrishnaji was very kind to share with fellow devotees hisintimate personal life experiences, demonstrating the same principle – " to be considerate to otherfellow creatures' feelings and pains " / " never keep birds, animals, etc., incaptivity " .

CAPTIVITYin all forms SHOULD BE CONDEMNED: In true devotion to God. Ashuman civilization progresses, the concept that everything in this universe isa manifestation of Him, the Brahman, is being realised by more and more peopleand the above principles get widely accepted. And we see the wisdom in:

Vasudeiva Kutumbakam and Loka SamastaSukhino Bhavantu. Five orsix decades back the practice of keeping caged birds was very common. And then naturally, freeing caged birds cameto be considered as a noble deed. Andour leaders did not lose the opportunity and started releasing caged birds in largenumbers in every public function to loudly demonstrate their nobility! And birds were ruthlessly caught and cagedfor such functions – an opportunistic money spinning business! And the greatest casualty was most ironicallythe pigeon, the very symbol of peace! This hypocrisy had its natural death, though very slowly over manydecades.

Thoughcommercialization of the dumb creatures, right from the tiny butter flies tomammoth elephants, still continues, the society in general had become moreconscious about these cruelties and may be in another couple of decades thingswill change drastically to the relief of these fellow beings.

However,we Guruvayurappan devotees should consider seriously at every step to cause theleast harm to other fellow beings. Notonly our own direct actions, but all those we see around. May be Guruvayurappan wants to test how wereact when some of His other manifestations are being ill-treated in our neighborhoods. So we can't afford to look the other way. It may not be possible to stop all thosetraditional practices in one stroke. Butwe should think about it and freely express our frank opinion with the leastoffence to others.

Hence, in true spirit of Bhagavad GitaIV–47, let us start talking out our mind today, in the interest ofGuruvayurappan - things may change in due course. Lest our silence will be convenientlyconstrued as consent for these cruelties by the vested interests and theatrocities will continue.

WithRegards to all,Yourssincerely,NBNair.

guruvayur , " Savitri Puram " <savitriopuram wrote:>> Dear all,> > > This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of

> Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in> her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing> beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana

> story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where> Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the> parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots

> and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and> Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they> stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl

> in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one> day to marry her.> > Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday.> Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to

> go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the> children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and> enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was

> captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I> shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me " .> > Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come

> back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from> her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, " Since> you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will

> have to experience the same fate " .> > Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died.> Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to

> the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : " You killed my> beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in> Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your

> pregnancy " .> > Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and> brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the> washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the

> forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from> her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has> to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results

> will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.> > Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going> through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam.

> This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings> and pain.> > According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like> bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of

> sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of> dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that> we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played

> with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction> of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will> bounce back on us.> > Regards and prayers

> > savitri>