IndiaDivine.org

Lets be vegetarians.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello all,Hare Krishna !I too am a vegetarian. Can we all join Mr Manoj's path and take it as a dedication towards Lord ? At least that many animals will not be killed for we the group people for which I am sure, Lord will be pleased !

best regards2008/7/1 Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj:

Om Namo Narayanaya

Respected Guruvayur family members,

As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings.

When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy.

I think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan?

" Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar "

Hare Guruvayurappa!!!

Manoj Kunniyur.

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

guruvayur Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake.

As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that.

When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions. "

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.

My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she attained

puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my b-i-l's

safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

RegardsKVG.

Savitri Puram wrote:

Dear all,

This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her.

Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me " .

Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate " .

Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : " You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy " .

Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain.

According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

Regards and prayers

savitri

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

Dear friends,It really makes me happy to see that I became one of the reason for Mr Manoj to become vegetarian. Few times I was feeling that I should write some thing on vegetarianism. But restrained myself as it may be out of subject for the group. If people are interested I can post some information on the subject now and then, only if it is OK with the owner of the group. I don't like to offend any one.Thanks.Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote: Hello all,Hare Krishna !I too am a

vegetarian. Can we all join Mr Manoj's path and take it as a dedication towards Lord ? At least that many animals will not be killed for we the group people for which I am sure, Lord will be pleased ! best regards2008/7/1 Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj >: Om Namo Narayanaya Respected Guruvayur family members, As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings. When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy. I think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan?

"Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar" Hare Guruvayurappa!!! Manoj Kunniyur.

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram > wrote: Savitri Puram <savitriopuram >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots guruvayur Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji, Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown. I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to

cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake. As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that. When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm

to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told" Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions." Regards and prayers Savitri On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote: Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage. My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent

along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and

we could not do anything else other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity. RegardsKVG. Savitri Puram wrote: Dear all, This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that

part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her. Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita

told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me". Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, "Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate" . Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : "You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy". Later Rama married Sita. Ravana

kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas. Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain. According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of

Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us. Regards and prayers savitri -- Best regardsJayasree

MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory. Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY.

Guest guest

Dear Devotees,

Vegetarianism is vital for improving the Devotee's Spiritual

Discipline . The food has a decisive influence on one's mental

well being as well . Man is a natural vegetarian . The unnatural

food (Meat) prompts animal instincts such as lust for materailistic

pleasures .By becoming a Vegetarian , one does a great help to

himself and the world . It is not only service to Lord Krishna but

a great achievement for the Devotee himself . Of course,

Bhaktavalsala is happy when His devotee makes such a remarkable

spiritual improvement . The beauty of Krishna's philosophy is that

it's regulations benefit both faithful follower and the

environment .

Hare Krishna !!!

Dasan

guruvayur , " Vinayaraj V R " <vinayarajvr

wrote:

>

> Killing animals for eating is a very very unholly thing. We

> all who believe in Lord Krishna should be pure vegetarians

irrespect

> of our caste or creed. Let us be true Vaishnavas. I see everyday

cows

> are being transported in lorries and by road to be killed. I see

> tears in their eyes. They are beaten heavily if they pause a bit

on

> the road. I can not believe they will be killed to be eaten.

>

> One who believes in Lord Krishna truly can never eat meat. Let us

use

> this group and every available occassion to spread the message of

> vegetarianism.

>

> regards

>

>

> guruvayur , Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj@>

> wrote:

> >

> > Om Namo Narayanaya

> >

> >               Respected Guruvayur family members,

> >                                     

> >                              As Savitriji and Panickerji

say , let

> we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i

> became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped

having

> non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind

> blessings.

> >  

> >              When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me

to

> think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time.

> They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan

and

> strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is

> inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy.

> >       

> >        I think people afraid of lacking protins while being

> vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give

> more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the

unwillingness

> to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences

where

> Bhagavan saved us  why we should not sacrifies something

> for Bhagavan?

> >  

> >                    " Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum

> >                    pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar "

> >  

> >  

> >       Hare Guruvayurappa!!!

> >  

> >  

> >                 Manoj Kunniyur.

> >  

> >  

> >       

> >                 

> >  

> >            

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> > --- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@> wrote:

> >

> > Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@>

> > Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

> > guruvayur

> > Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

> >  

> > Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read

your

> real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all

of

> you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

> >  

> > I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake

hills

> (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I

think

> several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to

> destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an

> extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any

help. I

> was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody

> talking about the curse of the snake.

> >  

> >  As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants

in

> the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps

or

> slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the

mother

> ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to

either

> of them and told us not to do that.

> >  

> > When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what

paapam

> we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from

past

> birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing

> karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the

> gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and

> inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told "

Hinduism

> believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not

> believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy

> life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even

> killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of

> doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how

Hinduism

> is conceptually different from other religions. "

> >  

> > Regards and prayers

> >  

> > Savitri

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> >  

> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna

<gopalakrishna.

> kv (AT) gmail (DOT) . com> wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear all,

> > Radhe Krishna!

> > Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told

us.   I

> shall tell you my personal experience.

> >

> > Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the

> commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened

> that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage

> containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took

it.  

> We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father

trained

> them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit

on

> his hand, etc.   They were so tamed.   One day, one of the parrots

> escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.

> >

> > My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938.  My B-

i-l

> was living in Burmah at that time.   After the marriage, my sister

> was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained

> puberty.   When she attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l

came

> from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah.   And they

> were having a happy life, with the other members of the family

also

> present in Burmah. 

> >

> > In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and

children

> were asked to evacuate Burmah.  My sister was one who came along

with

> the others, and stayed with us.   All the other members of the

family

> were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l

who

> was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working,

> with severe punishment if he attempted to go.   He was stuck there

in

> Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the

> Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day.   His

> whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years.   We, especially my

> sister were  so anxious and we could not do anything else other

than

> to pray for my b-i-l's safety.   My father immediately released

the

> other parrot also.

> >

> > By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and

he

> came back by beginning of 1946.

> >

> > My father realised that all these happened because we had kept

the

> parrot in captivity.   Ever since, we learned a lesson that we

should

> never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

> >

> > Regards

> > KVG.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Savitri Puram wrote:

> >

> >

> > Dear all,

> >  

> >  

> > This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita

Devi

> of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her

> friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there

> and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots,

but

> they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them.

They

> sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married

> Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear

and

> sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they

> learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they

> learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the

> same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in

> front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come

> one day to marry her.

> >  

> > Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to

them

> everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant

and

> she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back

after

> she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the

temptation

> of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her

to

> go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage.

Sita

> told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming

Rama

> you described come and marry me " .

> >  

> >  Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told

him

> to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to

be

> separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried

> and cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband

> during  pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same

fate " .

> >  

> > Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama

naamam

> and died.. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and

> distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last

> words were : " You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating

her

> from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your

> separation from your husband during your pregnancy " .

> >  

> > Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated

> Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This  male parrot was born

as

> Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya  and because of  his harsh words

> Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and

she

> had to face separation from her husband living alone in the

forest.

> Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of

> each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced

in

> the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

> >  

> > Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were

> going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will

always

> follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other

fellow

> creatures' feelings and pain.

> >  

> > According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham

are

> like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the

ball

> of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham,

only

> ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of

> dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know

how

> many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and

> satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or

at

> least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

> >  

> > Regards and prayers

> >  

> > savitri

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Dear Friends,Here is an article on vegetarian food. Hope it is OK with the moderators.Thanks. Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living by RunTex Staff, 5/19/2005 Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living By Wish Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, presented a compelling (and at times, chilling) argument Wednesday night that a plant-based diet can virtually wipe out most of the common diseases and health risks that afflict millions of Americans every year. As the second

guest in the RunTex Speaker Series, Campbell spoke before a packed house of runners, vegans and a handful of skeptics at RunTex. Campbell was introduced to the RunTex crowd by local triathlete Rip Esselstyn whose father-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.-was the first speaker in the series who also espoused the key to healthy living is a plant-based diet. In that respect, Campbell didn't differ from Esselstyn whom he called "a kindred spirit." Both men are nutritional researchers who have studied the dietary and nutritional customs of cultures all over the world. Their studies and others have concluded, according to Campbell, "That all favor a plant-based diet for minimal disease risk. While Esselstyn's primary interest is the positive effects of a plant-based diet on artery and heart disease, Campbell's presentation-It's Time to Take Our Food Choices Seriously-was more geared to making healthier choices (i.e., plant-based foods) for improved

performance. He said how a vegan diet not only does not reduce strength, but cited two prominent studies that showed how it improves strength significantly. He mentioned such well-known vegan performance athletes as Ironman Dave Scott, two-time Olympic marathon Pete Pfitzinger and tennis star Martina Navratilova who all had exceptionally long athletic careers which, Campbell said, was due in part to their vegan diet Like Esselstyn, Campbell was raised on a farm and "went to college as a meat and potatoes guy to learn how to grow cattle. I was happy to believe that the American diet was the best in the world." But what he found was much different. In the 1950s, Campbell was part of a team of researchers who went to the Philippines to study ways to introduce more protein into the diet of malnourished children. He was initially confused why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, primarily an adult disease. What he found

was that the children from the more affluent families who had the most protein in their diet also had the highest incidence of liver cancer. The poorer children who had less protein had the lowest incidence of liver cancer. Campbell, who is a professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, delved deeper into the relationship between high protein diets and diseases. He presented two remarkable animal studies last night. One of the studies was done on two control groups of rats. The first group was fed a diet which was comprised of 20 percent protein. The other group was fed a diet of only five percent protein. In the first group, every one of the 30 rats developed tumors and cancers. There were none in the second group. In another two-year study of two animal groups, one was fed a diet of 20 percent protein (in this case, casein which is an experimental protein that is 87 percent cows' milk). The other

group was fed a diet of five percent soy and wheat protein. After two years, all the animals on the protein-rich diet were dead. There were no casualties in the other group. Campbell's conclusion? "Cancer is a diet and lifestyle decision," he told the crowd at RunTex. "It is not a genetic event. Family history and genes do not matter." Essentially, that's what Campbell's landmark, 20-year China Study also demonstrated. He and his team of researchers studied and collected data from adults in villages all over China. After analyzing the results, Campbell summarized: "People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease. People who favored a plant-based diet were the healthiest and avoided disease." In contrast, Campbell showed that American women are five times more likely to get breast cancer and reach menopause four years earlier than Chinese women. American men are certainly not immune. Twelve of 14

studies showed a positive association between consumption of dairy products and prostate cancer, Campbell said. "There is little question," said Campbell, "that a plant-based diet has a broad-based effect that will prevent typical American diseases such as acne, depression, Alzheimer's, kidney stones, multiple sclerosis and heart disease." Campbell then wondered aloud why, if the negative impact of too much protein in the diet and the benefits of a plant-based diet are true, we haven't heard more about it. The reason, Campbell made clear, is the food industry and its powerful lobbying efforts as well as the government's irresponsible research which is often funded by the food industry. As evidence, Campbell showed the recommendations by the Food and Nutrition Board that "to meet the body's daily nutritional needs while minimizing risk for disease, adults should consume 10-35 percent of their diet from protein." Not! It

should be less than 10 percent, says Campbell. Another study, sponsored by such groups as M & Ms, the Dannon Yogurt Board and the soft drink industry, recommended that added sugars-soft and fruit drinks, pastries and candy-should comprise no more than 25 percent of total calorie consumption when it should be miniscule. Clearly the blame, Campbell said, lies with the funding of such studies and the wide dissemination which he also blames on researchers who have been bought off by the food industry. Campbell concluded his talk by admonishing the audience, "It's time we stop thinking of health coming from a pill and start thinking of health as coming from food." Indeed. FROM: http://www.runtex.com/web/1-189.asp Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj wrote: Om Namo Narayanaya Respected Guruvayur family members, As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings. When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy. I think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan?

"Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar" Hare Guruvayurappa!!! Manoj Kunniyur.

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram > wrote: Savitri Puram <savitriopuram >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrotsguruvayur Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji, Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown. I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something

exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake. As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that. When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and

subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told" Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions." Regards and prayers Savitri On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote: Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as

she had not attained puberty. When she attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything

else other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.RegardsKVG. Savitri Puram wrote: Dear all, This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of

the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her. Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the

female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me". Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, "Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate" . Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : "You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy". Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her

and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas. Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain. According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only

ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us. Regards and prayers savitri Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh Shivaaya OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

Guest guest

Dear Jaysree Menon and others,At least I have seen few Guruvayurappan devotees who eat meat and even beef. How can it eating flesh and Guruvayurappan devotion go together. See what one of our great Spiritual personality said about flesh eating.Abstain from eating the flesh of dead creatures. Living organisms are to be loved, not eaten. Non-vegetarianism is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. Saints and Spiritual Masters have invariably advocated vegetarianism. Flesh eating distorts the basic character of human. This universe is the manifestation of but One mind, the Absolute. Alienation between one mind and another mind is unnatural. The mind of human is in no way different from the mind of any other creature. Love an insect, and it can be seen that it reciprocates. Moksham (Salvation) is the ultimate outcome of non-violence. Shree Vidyadhiraja Chattampi Swamikal Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote: Hello all,Hare Krishna !I too am a vegetarian. Can we all join Mr Manoj's path and take it as a dedication towards Lord ? At least that many animals will not be killed for we the group people for which I am sure, Lord will be pleased ! best regards2008/7/1 Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj >: Om Namo Narayanaya Respected Guruvayur family members, As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings. When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at

home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy. I think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan? "Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar" Hare Guruvayurappa!!! Manoj Kunniyur. --- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram > wrote: Savitri Puram <savitriopuram >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots guruvayur Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji, Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown. I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him

not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake. As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that. When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once

poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told" Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions." Regards and prayers Savitri On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage. My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she attained puberty at the

age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father

immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity. RegardsKVG. Savitri Puram wrote: Dear all, This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of

the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her. Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and

marry me". Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, "Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate" . Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : "You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy". Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was

born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas. Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain. According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum

that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us. Regards and prayers savitri -- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of

the growth trajectory. Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh Shivaaya OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!It has been clearly mentioned in our Bhagavatham that human body is not meant for flesh eating; but our food has been decided as vegetables. I totally agree with Udayabhanu sir, that there are lot of people who eat non veg while they go to temple.... How come is it happening? I mean, our conciousness will not stop us from stepping into the temple?

I am not here to force anybody to be vegetarian.... But if by this mail, one devotee of this group realises and changes himself/herself, the purpose of this mail is served.May Lord Bless all!with regards

2008/7/17 Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar:

Dear Jaysree Menon and others,At least I have seen few Guruvayurappan devotees who eat meat and even beef. How can it eating flesh and Guruvayurappan devotion go together. See what one of our great Spiritual personality said about flesh eating.

Abstain from eating the flesh of dead creatures. Living organisms are to be loved, not eaten. Non-vegetarianism is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. Saints and Spiritual Masters have invariably advocated vegetarianism. Flesh eating distorts the basic character of human. This universe is the manifestation of but One mind, the Absolute. Alienation between one mind and another mind is unnatural. The mind of human is in no way different from the mind of any other creature. Love an insect, and it can be seen that it reciprocates. Moksham (Salvation) is the ultimate outcome of non-violence.

Shree Vidyadhiraja Chattampi Swamikal Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Hello all,Hare Krishna !I too am a vegetarian. Can we all join Mr Manoj's path and take it as a dedication towards Lord ? At least that many animals will not be killed for we the group people for which I am sure, Lord will be pleased !

best regards2008/7/1 Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj:

Om Namo Narayanaya Respected Guruvayur family members,

As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings.

When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at

home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy.

I think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan?

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar " Hare Guruvayurappa!!! Manoj Kunniyur.

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

guruvayur Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him

not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake.

As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either of them and told us not to do that.

When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once

poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions. "

Regards and prayers Savitri On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.

My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she attained puberty at the

age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father

immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

RegardsKVG. Savitri Puram wrote: Dear all, This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of

the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her.

Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and

marry me " . Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate " .

Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : " You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy " .

Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was

born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures' feelings and pain.

According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum

that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

Regards and prayers savitri

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of

the growth trajectory. Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh Shivaaya

OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

-- Best regardsJayasree MenonBangalore+9900149461--A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing, personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

Guest guest

Hari-Om.

We do not have to look far for an answer.

Our Bapuji was an ardent vegetarian .

Let's all follow his foot steps.

Mahatma Gandhi's Third Principle - Vegetarianism

---------------

As a young child, Gandhi experimented with meat-eating. This was due

partially to his inherent curiosity as well as his rather persuasive

peer and friend Sheikh Mehtab. The idea of vegetarianism is deeply

ingrained in Hindu and Jain traditions in India, and, in his native

land of Gujarat, most Hindus were vegetarian and so are all Jains.

The Gandhi family was no exception. Before leaving for his studies in

London, Gandhi made a promise to his mother, Putlibai and his uncle,

Becharji Swami that he would abstain from eating meat, taking

alcohol, and engaging in promiscuity. He held fast to his promise and

gained more than a diet: he gained a basis for his life-long

philosophies. As Gandhi grew into adulthood, he became a strict

vegetarian. He wrote the book The Moral Basis of Vegetarianism and

several articles on the subject, some of which were published in the

London Vegetarian Society's publication, The Vegetarian. Gandhi,

himself, became inspired by many great minds during this period and

befriended the chairman of the London Vegetarian Society, Dr. Josiah

Oldfield.

Having also read and admired the work of Henry Stephens Salt, the

young Mohandas met and often corresponded with the vegetarian

campaigner. Gandhi spent much time advocating vegetarianism during

and after his time in London. To Gandhi, a vegetarian diet would not

only satisfy the requirements of the body, it would also serve an

economic purpose as meat was, and still is, generally more expensive

than grains, vegetables, and fruits. Also, many Indians of the time

struggled with low income, thus vegetarianism was seen not only as a

spiritual practice but also a practical one. He abstained from eating

for long periods, using fasting as a form of political protest. He

refused to eat until his death or his demands were met. It was noted

in his autobiography that vegetarianism was the beginning of his deep

commitment to Brahmacharya; without total control of the palate, his

success in Bramacharya would likely falter.

Bapu had been a frutarian, but started taking goat's milk on the

advice of his doctor. He never took the dairy products (of cow)

largely because of his philosophical views, partially because of

disgust for phooka, and, specifically, because of a vow to his late

mother.

Jai Shree Krishna !

guruvayur , Udayabhanu Panickar

<udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

>

> Dear Jaysree Menon and others,

>

> At least I have seen few Guruvayurappan devotees who eat meat and

even beef. How can it eating flesh and Guruvayurappan devotion go

together. See what one of our great Spiritual personality said about

flesh eating.

>

> Abstain from eating the flesh of dead creatures. Living organisms

are to be loved, not eaten. Non-vegetarianism is good neither for the

mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. Saints and

Spiritual Masters have invariably advocated vegetarianism. Flesh

eating distorts the basic character of human. This universe is the

manifestation of but One mind, the Absolute. Alienation between one

mind and another mind is unnatural. The mind of human is in no way

different from the mind of any other creature. Love an insect, and it

can be seen that it reciprocates. Moksham (Salvation) is the ultimate

outcome of non-violence.

>

> Shree Vidyadhiraja Chattampi Swamikal

>

> Jayasree Menon <euroanuster wrote:

Hello all,

>

> Hare Krishna !

>

> I too am a vegetarian. Can we all join Mr Manoj's path and take it

as a dedication towards Lord ? At least that many animals will not

be killed for we the group people for which I am sure, Lord will be

pleased !

>

> best regards

>

>

>

>

>

> 2008/7/1 Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj:

>

> Om Namo Narayanaya

>

> Respected Guruvayur family members,

>

> As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let

we all Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i

became vegetarian after my membership in our group. I stopped having

non veg food to show my grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind

blessings.

>

> When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to

think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time.

They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and

strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is

inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy.

>

> I think people afraid of lacking protins while being

vegetarians. It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give

more protins than non veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness

to quit the non veg taste. If we have some personal experiences where

Bhagavan saved us why we should not sacrifies something for

Bhagavan?

>

> " Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum

> pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar "

>

>

> Hare Guruvayurappa!!!

>

>

> Manoj Kunniyur.

>

>

>

>

>

> Savitri Puram <savitriopuram

> Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

> guruvayur

> Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

>

>

> Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

>

> Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read your

real life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of

you would have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

>

> I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake

hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I

think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not

to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an

extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I

was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody

talking about the curse of the snake.

>

> As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in

the boat and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or

slopes. Whenever amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother

ant will feel if they were separated and something happens to either

of them and told us not to do that.

>

> When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what

paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results

from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing

karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross

and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate

things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes

in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that

God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is

one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is

not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm

possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually

different from other religions. "

>

> Regards and prayers

>

> Savitri

>

>

>

>

>

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.

kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> Dear all,

> Radhe Krishna!

> Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I

shall tell you my personal experience.

>

> Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the

commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened

that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage

containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it.

We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained

them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on

his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots

escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.

>

> My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l

was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister

was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained

puberty. When she attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came

from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they

were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also

present in Burmah.

>

> In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children

were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with

the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family

were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who

was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working,

with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in

Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the

Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His

whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my

sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than

to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the

other parrot also.

>

> By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he

came back by beginning of 1946.

>

> My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the

parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should

never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

>

> Regards

> KVG.

>

>

>

>

>

> Savitri Puram wrote: Dear all,

>

>

> This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita

Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with

her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came

there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of

parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had

taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to

Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots

were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and

asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita.

They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they

stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the

little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince

Rama would come one day to marry her.

>

> Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them

everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and

she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after

she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation

of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to

go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita

told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama

you described come and marry me " .

>

> Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him

to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be

separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and

cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband during

pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate " .

>

> Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam

and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and

distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last

words were : " You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her

from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation

from your husband during your pregnancy " .

>

> Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated

Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as

Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words

Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she

had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest.

Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of

each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in

the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

>

> Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were

going through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always

follow karmam. This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow

creatures' feelings and pain.

>

> According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are

like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball

of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only

ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of

dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how

many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and

satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at

least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

>

> Regards and prayers

>

> savitri

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--

> Best regards

>

> Jayasree Menon

> Bangalore

> +9900149461

> --

------------

> A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing,

personal leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

>

>

>

>

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Udayabhanu Panickar

> aum namahh Shivaaya

>

> OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE

PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH.

LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that

animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for

the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts

the basic character of human.

>

Guest guest

Very Interesting article, i also like to use vegitable foods , but in middle east there is no chance to use everyday, but after read that we ll try to change. tks for this nice article

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickarRe: [Guruvayur] Lets be vegetarians.guruvayur Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 9:32 AM

Dear Friends,Here is an article on vegetarian food. Hope it is OK with the moderators.Thanks.

Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Livingby RunTex Staff, 5/19/2005

Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living By Wish Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, presented a compelling (and at times, chilling) argument Wednesday night that a plant-based diet can virtually wipe out most of the common diseases and health risks that afflict millions of Americans every year. As the second guest in the RunTex Speaker Series, Campbell spoke before a packed house of runners, vegans and a handful of skeptics at RunTex. Campbell was introduced to the RunTex crowd by local triathlete Rip Esselstyn whose father-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.-was the first speaker in the series who also espoused the key to healthy living is a plant-based diet. In that respect, Campbell didn't differ from Esselstyn whom he called "a kindred spirit." Both men are nutritional researchers who have studied the dietary and nutritional customs of cultures all over the world.

Their studies and others have concluded, according to Campbell, "That all favor a plant-based diet for minimal disease risk. While Esselstyn's primary interest is the positive effects of a plant-based diet on artery and heart disease, Campbell's presentation- It's Time to Take Our Food Choices Seriously-was more geared to making healthier choices (i.e., plant-based foods) for improved performance. He said how a vegan diet not only does not reduce strength, but cited two prominent studies that showed how it improves strength significantly. He mentioned such well-known vegan performance athletes as Ironman Dave Scott, two-time Olympic marathon Pete Pfitzinger and tennis star Martina Navratilova who all had exceptionally long athletic careers which, Campbell said, was due in part to their vegan diet Like Esselstyn, Campbell was raised on a farm and "went to college as a meat and potatoes guy to learn how to grow cattle. I was happy to

believe that the American diet was the best in the world." But what he found was much different. In the 1950s, Campbell was part of a team of researchers who went to the Philippines to study ways to introduce more protein into the diet of malnourished children. He was initially confused why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, primarily an adult disease. What he found was that the children from the more affluent families who had the most protein in their diet also had the highest incidence of liver cancer. The poorer children who had less protein had the lowest incidence of liver cancer. Campbell, who is a professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, delved deeper into the relationship between high protein diets and diseases. He presented two remarkable animal studies last night. One of the studies was done on two control groups of rats. The first

group was fed a diet which was comprised of 20 percent protein. The other group was fed a diet of only five percent protein. In the first group, every one of the 30 rats developed tumors and cancers. There were none in the second group. In another two-year study of two animal groups, one was fed a diet of 20 percent protein (in this case, casein which is an experimental protein that is 87 percent cows' milk). The other group was fed a diet of five percent soy and wheat protein. After two years, all the animals on the protein-rich diet were dead. There were no casualties in the other group. Campbell's conclusion? "Cancer is a diet and lifestyle decision," he told the crowd at RunTex. "It is not a genetic event. Family history and genes do not matter." Essentially, that's what Campbell's landmark, 20-year China Study also demonstrated. He and his team of researchers studied and collected data from adults in villages all

over China. After analyzing the results, Campbell summarized: "People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease. People who favored a plant-based diet were the healthiest and avoided disease." In contrast, Campbell showed that American women are five times more likely to get breast cancer and reach menopause four years earlier than Chinese women. American men are certainly not immune. Twelve of 14 studies showed a positive association between consumption of dairy products and prostate cancer, Campbell said. "There is little question," said Campbell, "that a plant-based diet has a broad-based effect that will prevent typical American diseases such as acne, depression, Alzheimer's, kidney stones, multiple sclerosis and heart disease." Campbell then wondered aloud why, if the negative impact of too much protein in the diet and the benefits of a plant-based diet are true, we haven't heard more about it.

The reason, Campbell made clear, is the food industry and its powerful lobbying efforts as well as the government's irresponsible research which is often funded by the food industry. As evidence, Campbell showed the recommendations by the Food and Nutrition Board that "to meet the body's daily nutritional needs while minimizing risk for disease, adults should consume 10-35 percent of their diet from protein." Not! It should be less than 10 percent, says Campbell. Another study, sponsored by such groups as M & Ms, the Dannon Yogurt Board and the soft drink industry, recommended that added sugars-soft and fruit drinks, pastries and candy-should comprise no more than 25 percent of total calorie consumption when it should be miniscule. Clearly the blame, Campbell said, lies with the funding of such studies and the wide dissemination which he also blames on researchers who have been bought off by the food industry.

Campbell concluded his talk by admonishing the audience, "It's time we stop thinking of health coming from a pill and start thinking of health as coming from food." Indeed.

Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj@ > wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya

When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time. They concerned that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and i feel more healthy.

"Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar"

Hare Guruvayurappa! !!

Manoj Kunniyur.

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrotsguruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake hills (pampu puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think several snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to destroy them like that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous snake and he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when this happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of the snake.

When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told" Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions."

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear all,Radhe Krishna!Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told us. I shall tell you my personal experience.Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the commentary of Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we were living in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots and presented to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of the parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used to come out of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed. One day, one of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained in the cage.My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she

attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my

b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.RegardsKVG.

Savitri Puram wrote:

Dear all,

This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita Devi of Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her friends in her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and started singing beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were singing Ramayana story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the story where Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow. Songs of the parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those parrots and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself because they stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the little girl in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would come one day to marry her.

Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me".

Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, "Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate" .

Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama naamam and died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and distressed and fell in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : "You killed my beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take janma in Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during your pregnancy".

Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated Ravana and brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as Krodhan, the washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was exiled to the forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face separation from her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that everybody has to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either the results will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent janmaas.

According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham are like bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball of sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham, only ball of dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of dushkruthum that we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls we played with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change the direction of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with which it will bounce back on us.

Regards and prayers

savitri

Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh ShivaayaOUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

Guest guest

Hello all non vegetariansIf you all want to change to vegetarianism, is it not possible to switch over to grains like Rajma, Dal, Kabuli channa are available with which probably people are managing... Sorry if my options are not acceptable....

best regardsHare Krishna !2008/7/18 vinod gopal <vinodgopalpillai:

Very Interesting article, i also like to use vegitable foods , but in middle east there is no chance to use everyday, but after read that we ll try to change. tks for this nice article

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar

Re: [Guruvayur] Lets be vegetarians.guruvayur Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 9:32 AM

Dear Friends,Here is an article on vegetarian food. Hope it is OK with the moderators.Thanks.

Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Livingby RunTex Staff, 5/19/2005

Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living By Wish Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, presented a compelling (and at times, chilling) argument Wednesday night that a plant-based diet can virtually wipe out most of the common diseases and health risks that afflict millions of Americans every year. As the second guest in the RunTex Speaker Series, Campbell spoke before a packed house of runners, vegans and a handful of skeptics at RunTex.

Campbell was introduced to the RunTex crowd by local triathlete Rip Esselstyn whose father-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.-was the first speaker in the series who also espoused the key to healthy living is a plant-based diet.

In that respect, Campbell didn't differ from Esselstyn whom he called " a kindred spirit. " Both men are nutritional researchers who have studied the dietary and nutritional customs of cultures all over the world.

Their studies and others have concluded, according to Campbell, " That all favor a plant-based diet for minimal disease risk. While Esselstyn's primary interest is the positive effects of a plant-based diet on artery and heart disease, Campbell's presentation- It's Time to Take Our Food Choices Seriously-was more geared to making healthier choices (i.e., plant-based foods) for improved performance. He said how a vegan diet not only does not reduce strength, but cited two prominent studies that showed how it improves strength significantly. He mentioned such well-known vegan performance athletes as Ironman Dave Scott, two-time Olympic marathon Pete Pfitzinger and tennis star Martina Navratilova who all had exceptionally long athletic careers which, Campbell said, was due in part to their vegan diet

Like Esselstyn, Campbell was raised on a farm and " went to college as a meat and potatoes guy to learn how to grow cattle. I was happy to

believe that the American diet was the best in the world. " But what he found was much different. In the 1950s, Campbell was part of a team of researchers who went to the Philippines to study ways to introduce more protein into the diet of malnourished children. He was initially confused why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, primarily an adult disease.

What he found was that the children from the more affluent families who had the most protein in their diet also had the highest incidence of liver cancer. The poorer children who had less protein had the lowest incidence of liver cancer.

Campbell, who is a professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, delved deeper into the relationship between high protein diets and diseases. He presented two remarkable animal studies last night.

One of the studies was done on two control groups of rats. The first

group was fed a diet which was comprised of 20 percent protein. The other group was fed a diet of only five percent protein. In the first group, every one of the 30 rats developed tumors and cancers. There were none in the second group.

In another two-year study of two animal groups, one was fed a diet of 20 percent protein (in this case, casein which is an experimental protein that is 87 percent cows' milk). The other group was fed a diet of five percent soy and wheat protein.

After two years, all the animals on the protein-rich diet were dead. There were no casualties in the other group. Campbell's conclusion? " Cancer is a diet and lifestyle decision, " he told the crowd at RunTex. " It is not a genetic event. Family history and genes do not matter. "

Essentially, that's what Campbell's landmark, 20-year China Study also demonstrated. He and his team of researchers studied and collected data from adults in villages all

over China. After analyzing the results, Campbell summarized: " People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic disease. People who favored a plant-based diet were the healthiest and avoided disease. "

In contrast, Campbell showed that American women are five times more likely to get breast cancer and reach menopause four years earlier than Chinese women. American men are certainly not immune. Twelve of 14 studies showed a positive association between consumption of dairy products and prostate cancer, Campbell said.

" There is little question, " said Campbell, " that a plant-based diet has a broad-based effect that will prevent typical American diseases such as acne, depression, Alzheimer's, kidney stones, multiple sclerosis and heart disease. "

Campbell then wondered aloud why, if the negative impact of too much protein in the diet and the benefits of a plant-based diet are true, we haven't heard more about it.

The reason, Campbell made clear, is the food industry and its powerful lobbying efforts as well as the government's irresponsible research which is often funded by the food industry. As evidence, Campbell showed the recommendations by the Food and Nutrition Board that " to meet the body's daily nutritional needs while minimizing risk for disease, adults should consume 10-35 percent of their diet from protein. "

Not! It should be less than 10 percent, says Campbell. Another study, sponsored by such groups as M & Ms, the Dannon Yogurt Board and the soft drink industry, recommended that added sugars-soft and fruit drinks, pastries and candy-should comprise no more than 25 percent of total calorie consumption when it should be miniscule.

Clearly the blame, Campbell said, lies with the funding of such studies and the wide dissemination which he also blames on researchers who have been bought off by the food industry.

Campbell concluded his talk by admonishing the audience, " It's time we stop thinking of health coming from a pill and start thinking of health as coming from food. " Indeed.

Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj@ > wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar "

Hare Guruvayurappa! !!

Manoj Kunniyur.

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

guruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what paapam we did, we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past birth, we are unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or doable for us is to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all creatures and even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he whole creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for us to use and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a vegetarian. Even killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of doing the least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is conceptually different from other religions. "

Regards and prayers

Savitri

My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-i-l was living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister was not sent along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When she

attained puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was sent along with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with the other members of the family also present in Burmah. In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and children were asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with the others, and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were also allowed to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened by the Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe punishment if he attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945, facing the perils of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow escaping death every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4 years. We, especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do anything else other than to pray for my

b-i-l's safety. My father immediately released the other parrot also.By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and he came back by beginning of 1946.My father realised that all these happened because we had kept the parrot in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should never keep birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

RegardsKVG.

Savitri Puram wrote:

Dear all,

Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant and she would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the temptation of owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to go. Female parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told the female parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you described come and marry me " .

Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told him to come back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be separated from her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed Sita, " Since you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you also will have to experience the same fate " .

Regards and prayers

savitri

Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraum namahh Shivaaya

OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE PARABRAHMAN. LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE VEGETARIANS AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be loved, not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the intellect, not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

Guest guest

Dear Friends,

Radhe Krishna!~

Here is an article on vegetarian food, received from another group,

based on a scientific study by a foreigner. Hope it is OK with the

moderators.

Thanks.

KVG

Dr. Colin Campbell:

Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living

by RunTex Staff, 5/19/2005

Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet

Is Key To Healthy Living

By Wish

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, presented a

compelling (and at times, chilling) argument Wednesday night that a

plant-based diet can virtually wipe out most of the common diseases and

health risks that afflict millions of Americans every year. As the

second guest in the RunTex Speaker Series, Campbell spoke before a

packed house of runners, vegans and a handful of skeptics at RunTex.

Campbell was introduced to the RunTex crowd by local triathlete Rip

Esselstyn whose father-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.-was the first speaker

in the series who also espoused the key to healthy living is a

plant-based diet.

In that respect, Campbell didn't differ

from Esselstyn whom he called "a kindred spirit." Both men are

nutritional researchers who have studied the dietary and nutritional

customs of cultures all over the world. Their studies and others have

concluded, according to Campbell, "That all favor a plant-based diet

for minimal disease risk.

While Esselstyn's primary interest

is the positive effects of a plant-based diet on artery and heart

disease, Campbell's presentation-It's Time to Take Our Food

Choices Seriously-was more geared to making healthier choices (i.e.,

plant-based foods) for improved performance. He said how a vegan diet

not only does not reduce strength, but cited two prominent studies that

showed how it improves strength significantly. He mentioned such

well-known vegan performance athletes as Ironman Dave Scott, two-time

Olympic marathon Pete Pfitzinger and tennis star Martina Navratilova

who all had exceptionally long athletic careers which, Campbell said,

was due in part to their vegan diet

Like Esselstyn, Campbell was raised on a farm and "went to college as a

meat and potatoes guy to learn how to grow cattle. I was happy to

believe that the American diet was the best in the world." But what he

found was much different.

In the 1950s, Campbell was part of

a team of researchers who went to the Philippines to study ways to

introduce more protein into the diet of malnourished children. He was

initially confused why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed

with liver cancer, primarily an adult disease.

What he found

was that the children from the more affluent families who had the most

protein in their diet also had the highest incidence of liver cancer.

The poorer children who had less protein had the lowest incidence of

liver cancer.

Campbell, who is a professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at

Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, delved deeper into the

relationship between high protein diets and diseases. He presented two

remarkable animal studies last night.

One of the studies was

done on two control groups of rats. The first group was fed a diet

which was comprised of 20 percent protein. The other group was fed a

diet of only five percent protein. In the first group, every one of the

30 rats developed tumors and cancers. There were none in the second

group.

In another two-year study of two animal groups, one

was fed a diet of 20 percent protein (in this case, casein which is an

experimental protein that is 87 percent cows' milk). The other group

was fed a diet of five percent soy and wheat protein.

After two years, all the animals on the protein-rich diet were dead.

There were no casualties in the other group.

Campbell's conclusion? "Cancer is a diet and lifestyle decision," he

told the crowd at RunTex. "It is not a genetic event. Family history

and genes do not matter."

Essentially, that's what

Campbell's landmark, 20-year China Study also demonstrated. He and his

team of researchers studied and collected data from adults in villages

all over China. After analyzing the results, Campbell summarized:

"People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most chronic

disease. People who favored a plant-based diet were the healthiest and

avoided disease."

In contrast, Campbell showed that American

women are five times more likely to get breast cancer and reach

menopause four years earlier than Chinese women.

American men are certainly not immune. Twelve of 14 studies showed a

positive association between consumption of dairy products and prostate

cancer, Campbell said.

"There is little question," said Campbell, "that a plant-based diet has

a broad-based effect that will prevent typical American diseases such

as acne, depression, Alzheimer's, kidney stones, multiple sclerosis and

heart disease."

Campbell then wondered aloud why, if the

negative impact of too much protein in the diet and the benefits of a

plant-based diet are true, we haven't heard more about it.

The reason, Campbell made clear, is the food industry and its powerful

lobbying efforts as well as the government's irresponsible research

which is often funded by the food industry.

As evidence,

Campbell showed the recommendations by the Food and Nutrition Board

that "to meet the body's daily nutritional needs while minimizing risk

for disease, adults should consume 10-35 percent of their diet from

protein."

Not! It should be less than 10 percent, says Campbell.

Another study, sponsored by such groups as M & Ms, the Dannon Yogurt

Board and the soft drink industry, recommended that added sugars-soft

and fruit drinks, pastries and candy-should comprise no more than 25

percent of total calorie consumption when it should be miniscule.

Clearly the blame, Campbell said, lies with the funding of such studies

and the wide dissemination which he also blames on researchers who have

been bought off by the food industry.

Campbell concluded his

talk by admonishing the audience, "It's time we stop thinking of health

coming from a pill and start thinking of health as coming from food."

Indeed.

Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj > wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya

Respected

Guruvayur family members,

As Savitriji and Panickerji say , let we all Guruvayurappa devotees be

vegetarians. Proud to say that i became vegetarian after my membership

in our group. I stopped having non veg food to show my grattitude to

Bhagavan for His kind blessings.

When

i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me to think twice as already

i was so slim when i was at home last time. They concerned that i may

lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly decided to

continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than earlier and

i feel more healthy.

I

think people afraid of lacking protins while being vegetarians. It is

not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more protins than non

veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non veg

taste. If we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us

why we should not sacrifies something for Bhagavan?

"Lokame tharavad thanikkee

chidikalum

pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan

kudumbakkar"

Hare Guruvayurappa!!!

Manoj Kunniyur.

Guest guest

It is heartening to note that discussions on vegetarianism is going

on without stop. Compared to other states in India, there are more

non-vegetarians in Kerala. Let's make this forum as an opportunity to

spread the message of vegetarianism.

Vinayaraj

http://proudvegetarian.blogspot.com/

guruvayur , " Jayasree Menon " <euroanuster

wrote:

>

> Hello all non vegetarians

>

> If you all want to change to vegetarianism, is it not possible to

switch

> over to grains like Rajma, Dal, Kabuli channa are available with

which

> probably people are managing... Sorry if my options are not

acceptable....

>

> best regards

>

> Hare Krishna !

>

>

>

>

> 2008/7/18 vinod gopal <vinodgopalpillai:

>

> >

> >

> > Very Interesting article, i also like to use vegitable foods ,

but in

> > middle east there is no chance to use everyday, but after read

that we ll

> > try to change. tks for this nice article

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --- On *Thu, 7/17/08, Udayabhanu Panickar

<udhayabhanupanickar*wrote:

> >

> > Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar

> > Re: [Guruvayur] Lets be vegetarians.

> > guruvayur

> > Thursday, July 17, 2008, 9:32 AM

> >

> > Dear Friends,

> >

> > Here is an article on vegetarian food. Hope it is OK with the

moderators.

> >

> > Thanks.

> >

> >

> > Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet Is Key To Healthy Living

> > by RunTex Staff, 5/19/2005

> >

> > Dr. Colin Campbell: Plant-Based Diet

> > Is Key To Healthy Living

> >

> > By Wish

> >

> > Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, presented a

compelling

> > (and at times, chilling) argument Wednesday night that a plant-

based diet

> > can virtually wipe out most of the common diseases and health

risks that

> > afflict millions of Americans every year. As the second guest in

the RunTex

> > Speaker Series, Campbell spoke before a packed house of runners,

vegans and

> > a handful of skeptics at RunTex.

> >

> > Campbell was introduced to the RunTex crowd by local triathlete

Rip

> > Esselstyn whose father-Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.-was the first

speaker in

> > the series who also espoused the key to healthy living is a plant-

based

> > diet.

> >

> > In that respect, Campbell didn't differ from Esselstyn whom he

called " a

> > kindred spirit. " Both men are nutritional researchers who have

studied the

> > dietary and nutritional customs of cultures all over the world.

Their

> > studies and others have concluded, according to Campbell, " That

all favor a

> > plant-based diet for minimal disease risk.

> >

> > While Esselstyn's primary interest is the positive effects of a

plant-based

> > diet on artery and heart disease, Campbell's presentation- It's

Time to Take

> > Our Food Choices Seriously-was more geared to making healthier

choices

> > (i.e., plant-based foods) for improved performance. He said how a

vegan diet

> > not only does not reduce strength, but cited two prominent

studies that

> > showed how it improves strength significantly. He mentioned such

well-known

> > vegan performance athletes as Ironman Dave Scott, two-time

Olympic marathon

> > Pete Pfitzinger and tennis star Martina Navratilova who all had

> > exceptionally long athletic careers which, Campbell said, was due

in part to

> > their vegan diet

> >

> > Like Esselstyn, Campbell was raised on a farm and " went to

college as a

> > meat and potatoes guy to learn how to grow cattle. I was happy to

believe

> > that the American diet was the best in the world. " But what he

found was

> > much different.

> >

> > In the 1950s, Campbell was part of a team of researchers who went

to the

> > Philippines to study ways to introduce more protein into the diet

of

> > malnourished children. He was initially confused why so many

Filipino

> > children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, primarily an

adult disease.

> >

> >

> > What he found was that the children from the more affluent

families who had

> > the most protein in their diet also had the highest incidence of

liver

> > cancer. The poorer children who had less protein had the lowest

incidence of

> > liver cancer.

> >

> > Campbell, who is a professor emeritus of nutritional biochemistry

at

> > Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, delved deeper into the

relationship

> > between high protein diets and diseases. He presented two

remarkable animal

> > studies last night.

> >

> > One of the studies was done on two control groups of rats. The

first group

> > was fed a diet which was comprised of 20 percent protein. The

other group

> > was fed a diet of only five percent protein. In the first group,

every one

> > of the 30 rats developed tumors and cancers. There were none in

the second

> > group.

> >

> > In another two-year study of two animal groups, one was fed a

diet of 20

> > percent protein (in this case, casein which is an experimental

protein that

> > is 87 percent cows' milk). The other group was fed a diet of five

percent

> > soy and wheat protein.

> >

> > After two years, all the animals on the protein-rich diet were

dead. There

> > were no casualties in the other group.

> >

> > Campbell's conclusion? " Cancer is a diet and lifestyle decision, "

he told

> > the crowd at RunTex. " It is not a genetic event. Family history

and genes do

> > not matter. "

> >

> > Essentially, that's what Campbell's landmark, 20-year China Study

also

> > demonstrated. He and his team of researchers studied and

collected data from

> > adults in villages all over China. After analyzing the results,

Campbell

> > summarized: " People who ate the most animal-based foods got the

most chronic

> > disease. People who favored a plant-based diet were the

healthiest and

> > avoided disease. "

> >

> > In contrast, Campbell showed that American women are five times

more likely

> > to get breast cancer and reach menopause four years earlier than

Chinese

> > women.

> >

> > American men are certainly not immune. Twelve of 14 studies

showed a

> > positive association between consumption of dairy products and

prostate

> > cancer, Campbell said.

> >

> > " There is little question, " said Campbell, " that a plant-based

diet has a

> > broad-based effect that will prevent typical American diseases

such as acne,

> > depression, Alzheimer's, kidney stones, multiple sclerosis and

heart

> > disease. "

> >

> > Campbell then wondered aloud why, if the negative impact of too

much

> > protein in the diet and the benefits of a plant-based diet are

true, we

> > haven't heard more about it.

> >

> > The reason, Campbell made clear, is the food industry and its

powerful

> > lobbying efforts as well as the government's irresponsible

research which is

> > often funded by the food industry.

> >

> > As evidence, Campbell showed the recommendations by the Food and

Nutrition

> > Board that " to meet the body's daily nutritional needs while

minimizing risk

> > for disease, adults should consume 10-35 percent of their diet

from

> > protein. "

> >

> > Not! It should be less than 10 percent, says Campbell.

> >

> > Another study, sponsored by such groups as M & Ms, the Dannon

Yogurt Board

> > and the soft drink industry, recommended that added sugars-soft

and fruit

> > drinks, pastries and candy-should comprise no more than 25

percent of total

> > calorie consumption when it should be miniscule.

> >

> > Clearly the blame, Campbell said, lies with the funding of such

studies and

> > the wide dissemination which he also blames on researchers who

have been

> > bought off by the food industry.

> >

> > Campbell concluded his talk by admonishing the audience, " It's

time we stop

> > thinking of health coming from a pill and start thinking of

health as coming

> > from food. "

> >

> > Indeed.

> >

> > FROM: http://www.runtex. com/web/1- 189.asp<http://www.runtex.com/

web/1-189.asp>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > *Manoj Kunniyur <kunniyurmanoj@ >* wrote:

> >

> > *Om Namo Narayanaya

> > *

> > * Respected Guruvayur family members,*

> > * *

> > * As Savitriji and Panickerji say ,

let we all

> > Guruvayurappa devotees be vegetarians. Proud to say that i became

vegetarian

> > after my membership in our group. I stopped having non veg food

to show my

> > grattitude to Bhagavan for His kind blessings. *

> > **

> > * When i decided to be vegetarian everybody told me

to think

> > twice as already i was so slim when i was at home last time. They

concerned

> > that i may lack protins. But i had prayed Bhagavan and strongly

decided to

> > continue...believe it or not now my weight is inceased than

earlier and i

> > feel more healthy. *

> > * *

> > * I think people afraid of lacking protins while being

vegetarians.

> > It is not true. Having right vegetables and nuts give more

protins than non

> > veg. The other reason can be the unwillingness to quit the non

veg taste. If

> > we have some personal experiences where Bhagavan saved us why we

should not

> > sacrifies something for Bhagavan? *

> > **

> > * " Lokame tharavad thanikkee chidikalum*

> > * pulkalum puzhukkalum koodithan kudumbakkar " *

> > **

> > **

> > * Hare Guruvayurappa! !!*

> > **

> > **

> > * Manoj Kunniyur.*

> > **

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > --- On *Fri, 6/27/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>*

wrote:

> >

> > Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>

> > Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sita and parrots

> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> >

> > Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:58 PM

> >

> > Dear and respected Gopalkrishnaji,

> >

> > Since it was a sukhaparyavasaayi , it was really nice to read

your real

> > life story. The connection is amazing. I can imagine what all of

you would

> > have gone through when his whereabouts were unknown.

> >

> > I remember a story of a Nambudiri who destroyed several snake

hills (pampu

> > puttu) to cultivate something exotic. In that process, I think

several

> > snakes were killed. It seems his mother advised him not to

destroy them like

> > that. After a few months he was bitten by an extremely poisonous

snake and

> > he died before he could get any help. I was about 13 years when

this

> > happened. I still remember everybody talking about the curse of

the snake.

> >

> > As small children we used to make paper boats, put small ants in

the boat

> > and let it flow in the rain water flowing down the steps or

slopes. Whenever

> > amma sees this she used to tell how sad the mother ant will feel

if they

> > were separated and something happens to either of them and told

us not to do

> > that.

> >

> > When things happen in the same life, and if we remember what

paapam we did,

> > we can try to connect. But when we get the results from past

birth, we are

> > unable to connect or do pariharam. Only thing karaneeyam or

doable for us is

> > to cause the least harm to the gross and subtle body of all

creatures and

> > even to plants and inanimate things. Once poet Vishnunarayanan

> > Nambudiri told " Hinduism believes in living in harmony with he

whole

> > creation. We do not believe that God made everything on earth for

us to use

> > and enjoy life. That is one reason of recommending to be a

vegetarian. Even

> > killing plants is not desirable. But we stick to the principle of

doing the

> > least harm possible for our survival. This is how Hinduism is

conceptually

> > different from other religions. "

> >

> > Regards and prayers

> >

> > Savitri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, K.V Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.

> > kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com <gopalakrishna.kv> wrote:

> >

> >> Dear all,

> >> Radhe Krishna!

> >> Beautiful story from Padma Puranam which Savitriji has told

us. I shall

> >> tell you my personal experience.

> >>

> >> Although my father was a Sanskrit scholar and written the

commentary of

> >> Narayaneeyam and many other stotras, it so happened that when we

were living

> >> in Mavelikara, somebody brought a cage containing two parrots

and presented

> >> to my father, and he took it. We as children were very fond of

the

> >> parrots, and my father trained them to talk, etc., and they used

to come out

> >> of the cage and sit on his hand, etc. They were so tamed.

One day, one

> >> of the parrots escaped and flew away and only the other remained

in the

> >> cage.

> >>

> >> My elder sister was married at the age of twelve in 1938. My B-

i-l was

> >> living in Burmah at that time. After the marriage, my sister

was not sent

> >> along with her husband as she had not attained puberty. When

she attained

> >> puberty at the age of 14, my b-i-l came from Burmah and she was

sent along

> >> with him to Burmah. And they were having a happy life, with

the other

> >> members of the family also present in Burmah.

> >>

> >> In 1942, when the Japanese occupied Burmah, all women and

children were

> >> asked to evacuate Burmah. My sister was one who came along with

the others,

> >> and stayed with us. All the other members of the family were

also allowed

> >> to go and they all came back, except my b-i-l who was threatened

by the

> >> Burmah Corporation with whom he was working, with severe

punishment if he

> >> attempted to go. He was stuck there in Burmah till 1945,

facing the perils

> >> of war, and all atrocities the Japanese committed, somehow

escaping death

> >> every day. His whereabouts were not known for nearly 4

years. We,

> >> especially my sister were so anxious and we could not do

anything else

> >> other than to pray for my b-i-l's safety. My father

immediately released

> >> the other parrot also.

> >>

> >> By end of 1945, we got one letter from him that he was safe, and

he came

> >> back by beginning of 1946.

> >>

> >> My father realised that all these happened because we had kept

the parrot

> >> in captivity. Ever since, we learned a lesson that we should

never keep

> >> birds, animals, etc., in captivity.

> >>

> >> Regards

> >> KVG.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> Savitri Puram wrote:

> >>

> >> Dear all,

> >>

> >>

> >> This is a story from Padma puranam. Heroine is our little Sita

Devi of

> >> Mithila. She was about seven years old and was playing with her

friends in

> >> her beautiful garden. Then two green parrots came there and

started singing

> >> beautifully. It was not chirping of parrots, but they were

singing Ramayana

> >> story as if somebody had taught them. They sang that part of the

story where

> >> Rama came to Mithila and married Sita by breaking Siva's bow.

Songs of the

> >> parrots were very clear and sweet. Sita fell in love with those

parrots

> >> and asked where they learnt this song and who was this Rama and

> >> Sita. They said they learnt it from Valmiki Maharshi himself

because they

> >> stayed in the same forest. Then they explained that Sita is the

little girl

> >> in front of them asking questions and charming Prince Rama would

come one

> >> day to marry her.

> >>

> >> Sita requested them to stay back so that she could listen to them

> >> everyday. Then the female parrot told Sita that she was pregnant

and she

> >> would like to go back to her own forest and would come back after

> >> she delivered the children. But Sita could not resist the

temptation of

> >> owning her and enjoying her sweet music and did not allow her to

go. Female

> >> parrot was captured and was put in a beautiful cage. Sita told

the female

> >> parrot: " I shall release you when that charming Rama you

described come and

> >> marry me " .

> >>

> >> Male parrot also begged Sita to free his wife, but Sita told

him to come

> >> back later. This parrot who was pregnant was very sad to be

separated from

> >> her beloved husband. She refused to eat and cried and cursed

Sita, " Since

> >> you separated me from my beloved husband during pregnancy, you

also will

> >> have to experience the same fate " .

> >>

> >> Having spoken thus the miserable female parrot uttered Rama

naamam and

> >> died. Seeing this the male parrot was extremely sad and

distressed and fell

> >> in to the Ganga and drowned himself. His last words were : " You

killed my

> >> beautiful pregnant wife by separating her from me. I will take

janma in

> >> Ayodhya and will cause your separation from your husband during

your

> >> pregnancy " .

> >>

> >> Later Rama married Sita. Ravana kidnapped her and Rama defeated

Ravana and

> >> brought her back to Ayodhya. This male parrot was born as

Krodhan, the

> >> washerman in Ayodhya and because of his harsh words Sita was

exiled to the

> >> forest. Sita was pregnant at that time and she had to face

separation from

> >> her husband living alone in the forest. Padma purana says that

everybody has

> >> to experience the results of each and every karma we do. Either

the results

> >> will be experienced in the same janma or in the subsequent

janmaas.

> >>

> >> Rama and Sita being Purusha and Prakrithi, acted as if they were

going

> >> through the suffering to show us that karmaphalam will always

follow karmam.

> >> This story tells us to be considerate to other fellow creatures'

feelings

> >> and pain.

> >>

> >> According to Njaanaananda Saraswathi Sukritham and Dushkritham

are like

> >> bouncing balls. If we throw the ball of sukrutham, only the ball

of

> >> sukrutham will bounce back. If we throw ball of Dushkrutham,

only ball of

> >> dushkrutham will bounce back. But what about the balls of

dushkruthum that

> >> we threw in the previous janmaas? We do not know how many balls

we played

> >> with. Scriptures say, sankeerthanam and satsangam will change

the direction

> >> of the ball of dushkrutham or at least lessen the force with

which it will

> >> bounce back on us.

> >>

> >> Regards and prayers

> >>

> >> savitri

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Sincerely,

> >

> > Udayabhanu Panickar

> > aum namahh Shivaaya

> >

> > OUR BODY IS THE ABODE OF THE JEEVATMAN, WHICH IS IN FACT THE

PARABRAHMAN.

> > LET US NOT MAKE IT A GRAVEYARD. LET US NOT EAT FLESH. LET US BE

VEGETARIANS

> > AND STAY HEALTHY. Chattampi Swamikal said that animals are to be

loved,

> > not eaten. Eating flesh is good neither for the mind nor for the

intellect,

> > not even for the body. It distorts the basic character of human.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

> --

> Best regards

>

> Jayasree Menon

> Bangalore

> +9900149461

> --

------------

> A well-thought out plan, execution excellence, market timing,

personal

> leadership are drivers of the growth trajectory.

>