IndiaDivine.org

Nmasthe- Ramayanaparam 7

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

As we all know, Manthara, Kaikeyi's maid, was the one who convinced Kaikeyi to ask for the two boons namely to send Rama to the forest for 14 years and make Bharatha the Yuva Raaja. I would like to share a story about manthara's previous janma.

One day, Kaikeyi's father Raja Asvapathi, King of Kekaya Kingdom, went for hunting. He saw two deers and sent an arrow and killed the male deer. The female deer was extremely sad to see her husband die and came running to the mother deer. She told her how her nice husband was killed by the merciless King. Then the mother deer went to the King and told him how unfair was to kill her son-in law and cursed the King that he would also suffer the sorrow of his son-in-law's unexpected death. She said: " Beware King! I will make sure that it would happen to you in this life " .

When the mother deer died, it took Janmam as an ugly girl with a hunchback. Her parents died a few years after she was born. So she became an orphan. King Asvapathi saw this girl and out of sympathy decided to let her stay in the palace as a servant maid. In due course, Kaikeyi was born and this grown up girl Manthara helped Kaikeyi's mother in taking care of the child. She was very fond of Kaikeyi and took care of her with all sincerity.

When Kaikeyi knew about his father's curse, she decided to learn martial arts and warfare and became a strong woman. She became a very independent and smart woman. By God's decision, Dasharatha married Kaikeyi and King sent Manthara also to Ayodhya to help and take care of Kaikeyi. Manthara had this devious plan of killing Dasharatha and when opportunity arose, she persuaded Kaikeyi to ask for the boons she received several years back from Dasharatha. Dasharatha was fighting with Sharadooshana and the axle of Dasharatha's chariot got loose and was about to fall apart. Kaikeyi, bold and well versed in warfare, put her finger in the place of axle peg (?) and prevented the chariot from falling apart until Dasharatha vanquished Sharadooshana. So Dasharatha was very pleased with Kaikeyi and told her that she could ask for two boons any time she wanted. So Manthara reminded Kaikeyi about this.

Why did Kaikeyi ask Dasharatha to send Rama for 14 years to the forest? Why was it not for 12 or 10 years? There was law that said, if a husband and wife were separated for 13 years, then their relationship would cease to exist. So Kaikeyi wanted to make sure that Rama should be away from Sita that long and that would break their relationship. But that did not happen. Sita accompanied Rama and was together until Ravana abducted her. Nothing worked the way anybody planned- neither Dasharatha's plan nor Kaikeyi's plans. Man proposes and plans as per his wish, But God plans and executes it.

Let us pray for an attitude to accept His plans as the most desirable plan for us!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Guest guest

Dear Savitriji,

Thank you for sharing the Ramayana stories. Nice story about Manthara. Here I got answer to one of my several questions that come to my mind while reading Ramayanam. That is-why did Kaikeyi ask Dasaradha to send Rama 14 years to the forest. Thank you for your narration. The other question, you also put a question mark there, how Kaikeyi could save

the chariot from falling by using one finger only? Is it possible for one person doing so while sitting in a moving chariot? Why did King Dasaradha took Kaikeyi along with him to the battle field? Was it a custom that time the kings take their wives to the battle field?

Regards and Prayers

Sajan--- On Fri, 7/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Nmasthe- Ramayanaparam 7Friday, July 25, 2008, 4:32 PM

Dear all,

As we all know, Manthara, Kaikeyi's maid, was the one who convinced Kaikeyi to ask for the two boons namely to send Rama to the forest for 14 years and make Bharatha the Yuva Raaja. I would like to share a story about manthara's previous janma.

One day, Kaikeyi's father Raja Asvapathi, King of Kekaya Kingdom, went for hunting. He saw two deers and sent an arrow and killed the male deer. The female deer was extremely sad to see her husband die and came running to the mother deer. She told her how her nice husband was killed by the merciless King. Then the mother deer went to the King and told him how unfair was to kill her son-in law and cursed the King that he would also suffer the sorrow of his son-in-law's unexpected death. She said: "Beware King! I will make sure that it would happen to you in this life".

When the mother deer died, it took Janmam as an ugly girl with a hunchback. Her parents died a few years after she was born. So she became an orphan. King Asvapathi saw this girl and out of sympathy decided to let her stay in the palace as a servant maid. In due course, Kaikeyi was born and this grown up girl Manthara helped Kaikeyi's mother in taking care of the child. She was very fond of Kaikeyi and took care of her with all sincerity.

When Kaikeyi knew about his father's curse, she decided to learn martial arts and warfare and became a strong woman. She became a very independent and smart woman. By God's decision, Dasharatha married Kaikeyi and King sent Manthara also to Ayodhya to help and take care of Kaikeyi. Manthara had this devious plan of killing Dasharatha and when opportunity arose, she persuaded Kaikeyi to ask for the boons she received several years back from Dasharatha. Dasharatha was fighting with Sharadooshana and the axle of Dasharatha's chariot got loose and was about to fall apart. Kaikeyi, bold and well versed in warfare, put her finger in the place of axle peg (?) and prevented the chariot from falling apart until Dasharatha vanquished Sharadooshana. So Dasharatha was very pleased with Kaikeyi and told her that she could ask for two boons any time she wanted. So Manthara reminded Kaikeyi about this.

Why did Kaikeyi ask Dasharatha to send Rama for 14 years to the forest? Why was it not for 12 or 10 years? There was law that said, if a husband and wife were separated for 13 years, then their relationship would cease to exist. So Kaikeyi wanted to make sure that Rama should be away from Sita that long and that would break their relationship. But that did not happen. Sita accompanied Rama and was together until Ravana abducted her. Nothing worked the way anybody planned- neither Dasharatha's plan nor Kaikeyi's plans. Man proposes and plans as per his wish, But God plans and executes it.

Let us pray for an attitude to accept His plans as the most desirable plan for us!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Guest guest

Dear Sajanji,

How Kaikeyi could prevent the chariot from falling apart? This is the way I would like to think :The screw or peg of the axle might be about to come out and she might have used her finger in the place of the screw until war was over. Since she was well trained in all martial arts, brave and well disciplined, she withstood the pain of the finger during the movements of the chariot to make sure that her beloved husband was safe. So Dasharatha was pleased with her and gave the two boons. I do not know the mechanism of axle etc. So I may be completely wrong.

Also why did she go with Dasharatha for the war? Number one reason is that she herself was a well trained fighter and secondly Dasharatha adored her beauty and capablity and had confidence in her ability to help him in case he needed help. Of course Kaikeyi was very adventuorous, brave and strong and loved to accompany her husband. He was proud of herself and wanted to show the world that she was Dasharatha's favorite not only by her looks, but also by her capabilities.

But, in those days,was it common for capable women to join in war ? I am not sure about that. The above are really not answers, but a loud thinking. Please excuse me if they do not sound right. Let Lord Rama forgive me for any mistakes in my words.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Sajan Sukumaran <sajan_sukumaran wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

Thank you for sharing the Ramayana stories. Nice story about Manthara. Here I got answer to one of my several questions that come to my mind while reading Ramayanam. That is-why did Kaikeyi ask Dasaradha to send Rama 14 years to the forest. Thank you for your narration. The other question, you also put a question mark there, how Kaikeyi could save

the chariot from falling by using one finger only? Is it possible for one person doing so while sitting in a moving chariot? Why did King Dasaradha took Kaikeyi along with him to the battle field? Was it a custom that time the kings take their wives to the battle field?

Regards and Prayers

Sajan--- On Fri, 7/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Nmasthe- Ramayanaparam 7

Friday, July 25, 2008, 4:32 PM

Dear all,

One day, Kaikeyi's father Raja Asvapathi, King of Kekaya Kingdom, went for hunting. He saw two deers and sent an arrow and killed the male deer. The female deer was extremely sad to see her husband die and came running to the mother deer. She told her how her nice husband was killed by the merciless King. Then the mother deer went to the King and told him how unfair was to kill her son-in law and cursed the King that he would also suffer the sorrow of his son-in-law's unexpected death. She said: " Beware King! I will make sure that it would happen to you in this life " .

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Guest guest

Thank you, savitriji, for your Ramayanakathas.

As it is Ramayanamasam,while we are reading the Adhyatmaramaayanam, we can see everything in the katha happens for the ultimate aim of killing Ravana.., how Narada "reminds' Rama to be ready to go to the forest , soon and how He replies that narada need not worry and .everyhing will be accomplished soon.. .Wealso see how affectionate, Kaikeyi really is towrrds,Rama even more than Bharatha himself, though she decides to ask the boons to Dasaratha.. As regards, Mandhara, Sraswathidevi,s assistance is called to make Mandhara, behave the way, she did!!

May God protect us always and give us wisdom to do the right thing at the right time.

Thank you again for the wonderful stories of Ramayana.

regards,

Sreedevi.

--- On Fri, 7/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Nmasthe- Ramayanaparam 7guruvayur Date: Friday, July 25, 2008, 4:06 PM

Dear Sajanji,

How Kaikeyi could prevent the chariot from falling apart? This is the way I would like to think :The screw or peg of the axle might be about to come out and she might have used her finger in the place of the screw until war was over. Since she was well trained in all martial arts, brave and well disciplined, she withstood the pain of the finger during the movements of the chariot to make sure that her beloved husband was safe. So Dasharatha was pleased with her and gave the two boons. I do not know the mechanism of axle etc. So I may be completely wrong.

Also why did she go with Dasharatha for the war? Number one reason is that she herself was a well trained fighter and secondly Dasharatha adored her beauty and capablity and had confidence in her ability to help him in case he needed help. Of course Kaikeyi was very adventuorous, brave and strong and loved to accompany her husband. He was proud of herself and wanted to show the world that she was Dasharatha's favorite not only by her looks, but also by her capabilities.

But, in those days,was it common for capable women to join in war ? I am not sure about that. The above are really not answers, but a loud thinking. Please excuse me if they do not sound right. Let Lord Rama forgive me for any mistakes in my words.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Sajan Sukumaran <sajan_sukumaran@ > wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

Regards and Prayers

Sajan--- On Fri, 7/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Nmasthe- Ramayanaparam 7Friday, July 25, 2008, 4:32 PM

Dear all,

One day, Kaikeyi's father Raja Asvapathi, King of Kekaya Kingdom, went for hunting. He saw two deers and sent an arrow and killed the male deer. The female deer was extremely sad to see her husband die and came running to the mother deer. She told her how her nice husband was killed by the merciless King. Then the mother deer went to the King and told him how unfair was to kill her son-in law and cursed the King that he would also suffer the sorrow of his son-in-law's unexpected death. She said: "Beware King! I will make sure that it would happen to you in this life".

Regards and prayers

Savitri