IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Raamaayanaparam 9

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

This is a story of a boatman who works under Guha, the king of Nishaadas. Lord Sri Ramachandra reached the forest with Sita and Lakshmana as per his father Dasharatha's order. They had to cross river Ganga. Guha had heard about the banishment of Lord Rama and came running to help Him. One of his boatmen was unloading people on the opposite bank and Guha shouted to the boatman to bring the boat to the ferry. Boatman brought the boat near Lord Rama, got down and did namaskaar with intense devotion. Guha introduced him as a great devotee of Lord and told how he remembered the incident of Ahalya moksham. Also he started and ended his days with prayers to Lord Rama and through out the day he was well known for talking about the glories of Lord.

Boatman asked Guha whether he could wash Lord's feet before He stepped into the boat. Guha told him to wash His feet after seating Him in the boat. But the boatman was adamant and told Guha that he would like to wash Lord's feet before he got into the boat. Guha was a little angry at his obstinacy and was about to loose temper. Then the boatman decided to explain his point to Lord Rama himself.

" Lord, the limited income I have as a boatman is just enough to make both ends meet and I am afraid that I cannot afford anything more. So let me please wash the dust on your feet before you step into my boat. "

Guha was mad and shouted at him:

Why are you connecting your poverty to washing Lord's feet? What is the relevance here? Are you trying to ask for monetary help from Lord for doing this service? Just do what I say. Let Him step into the boat and then you wash his feet. You can talk to me about your financial problems later.

Lord Rama smiled looking at Sita devi and remained silent. The boatman continued: " Lord, I have heard that the dust from your feet embraced a stone in the forest and it became a woman. My boat is made of several pieces of wood and if the dust of your feet fell on my boat, I am afraid the boat would turn into several women corresponding to each piece of wood. . I sincerely cannot take care of any more members in my household. That is why I am requesting to wash the feet and make it dust free before you step into the boat. Please be kind to me. "

Guha and Lord Rama burst into laughter and appreciated his blind and innocent faith. Lord Rama let him wash His feet and the boatman poured the theertham over his head and happily took Lord, Sitadevi, Lakshmna and Guha to the other side of river Ganga. He was happy to serve Rama and also was relieved that none of the pieces of wood became a woman! He was showered with all the blessings by Lord Rama. Since then he never had to worry about not having enough money to support his family.

Rama thanked Guha and told him that he was His fourth brother and He would never forget the excellent and sincere service he rendered to Him in the hour of need.

Jai Shree Ram!

Regards and Prayers

savitrri

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Thanks Savitri ji for highlighting this beautiful narration of story. I wish to add a small piece to this unfinished segment.

On reaching the other side of Ganga, Lord Rama wished to pay the boatsman (Kevat) for his selfless act and helping the divine three cross the great river. Being banished from Ayodhya, Lord did not have any penny or gold or something similar to substitute for Kevat's physical work. Seeing her Lord's helplesness, Sita devi took out her finger ring and extended to the all-compassionate one. Smilingly, Lord Rama forwarded the same to Kevat. To the surprise of everybody Kevat returned the offer saying that it is not practised that two people doing the same job charge each other for the same kind of work done. For example, a hair cutter will never take money from the other hair cutter and similar here. Hearing to this, Sri Lakshmana got perplexed and asked as to how a mere jeeva like Kevat could rate the supremacy of Rama to a much lower rank of a boatman. Lord Rama understood the inner purport of Kevat's statement and asked Kevat for everybody's benefit to explain what he meant actually.

Kevat replied - "My dear lord your job is exactly the same as my job though with a small difference. I help people to cross Ganga in this material world and you help the entire species of life to cross 'Bhava-sagaram' flowing in the spiritual world. If I charge you now, it is well possible that you might easily pay off my work. But, looking at my state of life I am very much sure that I would not be able to pay you when you will cross me the Bhava-sagaram. Hence, I pray for your never-dying "Karunyam" to rain on me, my family and my ancestors who are still unable to cross the Vaitharni (becoz we are born in a lowest human class) having left their physical bodies in this world for quite long time."

The un-adulterated argument of Kevat gave immense satisfcation to the Lord and so Kevat was blessed with "Innocent devotion (Vimala bhakthi)" and ever gauranteed moksham for all his ancestors and upcoming generation for future.

Lord Parameshawara describing this story to devi Parvathi once again assert the fact that if one has such a core-devotion to the supreme Lord Rama, it is sure to achieve the highest objective of life.

(This reference is from Tulasidas's Sri Ramcharitmanas)

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of Savitri PuramSunday, July 27, 2008 5:57 PM[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Raamaayanaparam 9

Dear all,

This is a story of a boatman who works under Guha, the king of Nishaadas. Lord Sri Ramachandra reached the forest with Sita and Lakshmana as per his father Dasharatha's order. They had to cross river Ganga. Guha had heard about the banishment of Lord Rama and came running to help Him. One of his boatmen was unloading people on the opposite bank and Guha shouted to the boatman to bring the boat to the ferry. Boatman brought the boat near Lord Rama, got down and did namaskaar with intense devotion. Guha introduced him as a great devotee of Lord and told how he remembered the incident of Ahalya moksham. Also he started and ended his days with prayers to Lord Rama and through out the day he was well known for talking about the glories of Lord.

Boatman asked Guha whether he could wash Lord's feet before He stepped into the boat. Guha told him to wash His feet after seating Him in the boat. But the boatman was adamant and told Guha that he would like to wash Lord's feet before he got into the boat. Guha was a little angry at his obstinacy and was about to loose temper. Then the boatman decided to explain his point to Lord Rama himself.

"Lord, the limited income I have as a boatman is just enough to make both ends meet and I am afraid that I cannot afford anything more. So let me please wash the dust on your feet before you step into my boat."

Guha was mad and shouted at him:

Why are you connecting your poverty to washing Lord's feet? What is the relevance here? Are you trying to ask for monetary help from Lord for doing this service? Just do what I say. Let Him step into the boat and then you wash his feet. You can talk to me about your financial problems later.

Lord Rama smiled looking at Sita devi and remained silent. The boatman continued: "Lord, I have heard that the dust from your feet embraced a stone in the forest and it became a woman. My boat is made of several pieces of wood and if the dust of your feet fell on my boat, I am afraid the boat would turn into several women corresponding to each piece of wood. . I sincerely cannot take care of any more members in my household. That is why I am requesting to wash the feet and make it dust free before you step into the boat. Please be kind to me."

Guha and Lord Rama burst into laughter and appreciated his blind and innocent faith. Lord Rama let him wash His feet and the boatman poured the theertham over his head and happily took Lord, Sitadevi, Lakshmna and Guha to the other side of river Ganga. He was happy to serve Rama and also was relieved that none of the pieces of wood became a woman! He was showered with all the blessings by Lord Rama. Since then he never had to worry about not having enough money to support his family.

Rama thanked Guha and told him that he was His fourth brother and He would never forget the excellent and sincere service he rendered to Him in the hour of need.

Jai Shree Ram!

Regards and Prayers

savitrri

Guest guest

Sri Ram JayaRam Jaya Jaya Ram

Dear Savithri Ji,

I am chanting the vishnu sahasrnamam whenever i found time, and if I don't find time chant fully I used to chant 'Sri Rama Rama Ramethi Rame Rame Manorame,

sahasra Nam thathulyam Sri Rama nama Varanane"

as many as times possible. But I never thought about the maths behind this .It is realy beautiful Thanks for the explanation.Sri Rama bless everyone in the worl to live with peace and wealthy, healthy.

Sarve Jana: Sukhino Bhavanthu

by

Subramanian.p.s

guruvayur , "Savitri Puram" <savitriopuram wrote:>> Dear all,> > Let us have some fun math with Raama naamam.> > Once a Guru or teacher was teaching Vishnusahasra naamam to a group of boys> aged between 8-12 years. Guru chanted the slokam> > Sri Raama Raama Raamethi Rame Raame Manorame> Sahasranaama Tathulyam Raama Naama Varaanane> > and told the students " if you chant Raama naamam three times, it is> equivalent to chanting the whole Vishnu Sahasranaamam or chanting Lord's> Naamam 1000 times. One of the boys was very naughty and always had> questions about everything the teacher said. Immediately he asked " Guro,> how can three times become equal to 1000 times, I do not get the logic.> Please explain to us how that equation of 3 naamams =1000 naamams works".> > Guru was not only smart, but was a great devotee of Lord Raama. In one> moment, Guru knew how to explain the validity of the unusual equation. He> said:> > Lord Shiva says that the name of Lord Rama is the sweetest of all the words> & chanting this name would be equivalent to chanting the whole Vishnu> Sahasranama or thousand names of Vishnu .> > Here is the interesting calculation by which we can prove that 3 times> chanting of Rama naamam becomes equivalent to 1000 times chanting or> chanting the whole Vishnu Sahasra naamam.> > Take the name Rama. It has two letters *RA* and *MA.*> > When you take the consonants in Sanskrit alphabet,> > *RA* is the second consonant in the group of five consonants Ya, *RA,* La,> Va, Sha and> > *MA* is the fifth in the group of five consonants Pa, Pha, Ba, Bha, *MA.*> **> When you substitute the value of *RA* and *MA* as *2* and *5*> **> *RAMA* is equivalent to *2x5= 10*. Then,> > Sri *Rama Rama Rama* (iti) is equivalent to *2x5 x 2x5 x2x5= 10x10x10= 1000*> .> > > The boy was happy with the answer and started learning Vishun Sahasranaamam> with full concentration and devotion.> > > Jai Shri Ram!> > Regards and prayers> > Savitri>