IndiaDivine.org

Ramayanaof Valmiki and Kamban-Ayodhya kanda-19.Bharatha shocked and reproachful

Rate this topic

Guest guest

!9. Bharatha shocked and reproachful

Bharatha was shocked beyond measure to know what Kaikeyi had done and reproached her saying that she had brought a great calamity on the race of Ikshvaku and his father had nurtured a live hot coal in his bosom.He accused her of killing his father and for having wronged Rama who looked upon her as his own mother. Bharatha called his mother a sinful one, paapi, and said that surely she did not know the devotion he had for Rama or else she would not have done such a thing. Then he said he could not take the burden of a kingdom no more than an untrained bullock which tries to carry a burden that would be easily borne by a giant bullock and further said that even if he could he would not because he did not want her greedy desire to be fulfilled.

Bharatha said that surely Kaikeyi was not aware that the custom of the royal race of Ikshvaku requires that the eldest son alone should inherit the kingdom. Even the clan of kekaya was noble and it was a surprise, he said that Kaikeyi got this evil desire.Her action was criminal which may even destroy his own life.If that happens it served her right, said Bharatha, and told her that even if she dies she would only rot in hell and not go to heaven where her husband had gone. Calling her by name he said that she was his mother only in appearance and he would never speak to her again.He even went to the extent of asking her to enter the fire or put a noose around her neck or go to dhandaka forest herself. And he vowed tha he would bring Rama back and make him the king to atone the wrong committed by kaikeyi in his name.So saying he fell on the ground in anguish.

Then Bharatha called the ministers and told them that he had no hand in the matter and was completely ignorant of the machinations of Kaikeyi. Hearing the voice of Bharatha Kousalya came to see him and met him halfway as he was also hastening to see her and convince her of his innocence. Seeing Kousalya griefstricken Bharatha and Sathrughna wept and embraced her. Then Kousalya said,

idam te raajya kaamasya raajyam praaptam akaNTakam sampraaptam bata kaikeyyaa shiighram kruureNa karmaNaa

"This immense kingdom was secured for you who is desirous of the kingdom by Kaikeyi quickly by her evei deed." So saying Kousalya beseeched Bharatha to send her also to the forest where Rama was or allow her to enter the funeral pyre of her husband.

Hearing these words which he had not merited Bharatha felt as though a sharp needle was thrust into freshly opened wound. He wept and fell at the feet of Kousalya and said that he was sinless and did not know anything and Kousalya knew very well the great affection he had for Rama. Then with raised hands he gave a long list of all the horrible sins which one could commit and invoked upon himself the punishment for all of them if he had any hand in the plot of Kaikeyi.The enumeration of sins that should descend on the one who had allowed his elder brother to go to forest , meaning himself, knowingly, runs to 38 slokas in Valmiki, ending with the line `yasya aaryo anumathe gathaH.' Saying thus the noble Bharatha fell into a swoon. There upon Kousalya became distraught with grief seeing the state of Bharatha and consoled him.

This shows that it is more diffecult to prove one's innocence of a crime than to prove him guilty because when some one is accused unjustly the onus is on the accused to prove that he is innocent. In all probability Kousalya might have known that Bharatha was ignorant of what happened but she might have thought that he had hastened to accept the kingdom got through the plan of his mother.Poor Bharatha had to prove his innocence again and again to each and everyone and had to undergo a life of hermit in order to remove last vestige of doubt that may linger in the minds of people.

Kamban portrays beautifully the character of bharatha and the reaction of Kousalya to his words, which we shall see presently.

Thank you ,Savitriji and Sarojam Amma,for the explanation.

sreedevi--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Ramayanaof Valmiki and Kamban-Ayodhya kanda-19.Bharatha shocked and reproachfulguruvayur Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 9:49 AM

Dear Sreediviji,

With humble pranaams, let me share my understanding.

As per Valmiki Raammayanam Kaikeyi also went to the forest with Bharatha to bring back Rama. As you pointed out, Adhyatma Raamayanam by Ezhutthassan followed the Aadikaavyam by Valmiki.

In Vyaasaa"s Adhyatma Raamayanam also it clearly says that Kaikeyi accopmpanied Bharatha. Also it is interesting to note that when they were about to return with Raamapaadukam, Kaikeyi even apologizes to Raama and Raama consoles her. Here is a few verse by Vyaasa, which confirm that Kaikaeyi was with Bharathan:

1. Aaropya Bharatham thathra Sathrughnam Raama maatharam

Vasishthaam cha thadhaanyathra Kaikeyeem cha anyayoshitha:

In one boat, Bharatha, Sathrughna, Kausalya and Vasishta boarded and in onother one Kaikeyi and other women boarded.

2. Kaikeyi Raamamekaanthe sravannethra jalaakule

praanjali: praaha hae! Raama! thava raajya vighaathanam

Krutham mayaa dushtadhiya maayaamohitha chethasa

Kshamaswa mama douraatmyam kshmamaasaara hi saadhava:

With a heavy heart and tears in her eyes, Kaiekyi privately told Raama: Hae! Raama! I was under the spell of Maaya. Because of that my Buddhi turned wicked. Becasue of my words. your coronation was cancelled. I admnit that it was the result of my wicked mind. Please forgive me. Sajjanaas respect the quality of forgiveness more than anything else."

There are several more verses and they are very beautiful.

(But Tulasidasa Raamayanam says that Kaikeyi asked Bharatha to let her go with him to the forest and Bharatha flatly denied the request. I have not read Thulasidasa Raamaayanam fully. Several years back I read this in an article about Bharatha's journey based on Thulasidaasa Raamaayaanam. I am not sure about the authenticity) .

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM, NVP Menon <nvpmenon > wrote:

Dear Sarojam amma or Savitriji,

Thankyou for the interpretation. While I was reading the Adhyatamaramayanam ( malayalam) I read(I think) that Kaikeyi also went to the forest to to see Rama ,along with Bharatha and all the other family members and ,ministers etc. Is it true? or am I mistaken?

Please comment on that.

Thankyou very much.

regards,

Sreedevi

--- On Sun, 8/10/08, sarojram18 <sarojram18 > wrote:

sarojram18 <sarojram18 >[Guruvayur] Ramayanaof Valmiki and Kamban-Ayodhya kanda-19.Bharatha shocked and reproachfulguruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, August 10, 2008, 6:36 AM

!9. Bharatha shocked and reproachful

Bharatha was shocked beyond measure to know what Kaikeyi had done and reproached her saying that she had brought a great calamity on the race of Ikshvaku and his father had nurtured a live hot coal in his bosom.He accused her of killing his father and for having wronged Rama who looked upon her as his own mother. Bharatha called his mother a sinful one, paapi, and said that surely she did not know the devotion he had for Rama or else she would not have done such a thing. Then he said he could not take the burden of a kingdom no more than an untrained bullock which tries to carry a burden that would be easily borne by a giant bullock and further said that even if he could he would not because he did not want her greedy desire to be fulfilled.

Bharatha said that surely Kaikeyi was not aware that the custom of the royal race of Ikshvaku requires that the eldest son alone should inherit the kingdom. Even the clan of kekaya was noble and it was a surprise, he said that Kaikeyi got this evil desire.Her action was criminal which may even destroy his own life.If that happens it served her right, said Bharatha, and told her that even if she dies she would only rot in hell and not go to heaven where her husband had gone. Calling her by name he said that she was his mother only in appearance and he would never speak to her again.He even went to the extent of asking her to enter the fire or put a noose around her neck or go to dhandaka forest herself. And he vowed tha he would bring Rama back and make him the king to atone the wrong committed by kaikeyi in his name.So saying he

fell on the ground in anguish. Then Bharatha called the ministers and told them that he had no hand in the matter and was completely ignorant of the machinations of Kaikeyi. Hearing the voice of Bharatha Kousalya came to see him and met him halfway as he was also hastening to see her and convince her of his innocence. Seeing Kousalya griefstricken Bharatha and Sathrughna wept and embraced her. Then Kousalya said, idam te raajya kaamasya raajyam praaptam akaNTakam sampraaptam bata kaikeyyaa shiighram kruureNa karmaNaa "This immense kingdom was secured for you who is desirous of the kingdom by Kaikeyi quickly by her evei deed." So saying Kousalya beseeched Bharatha to send her also to the forest where Rama was or allow her to enter the funeral pyre of her husband.

Hearing these words which he had not merited Bharatha felt as though a sharp needle was thrust into freshly opened wound. He wept and fell at the feet of Kousalya and said that he was sinless and did not know anything and Kousalya knew very well the great affection he had for Rama. Then with raised hands he gave a long list of all the horrible sins which one could commit and invoked upon himself the punishment for all of them if he had any hand in the plot of Kaikeyi.The enumeration of sins that should descend on the one who had allowed his elder brother to go to forest , meaning himself, knowingly, runs to 38 slokas in Valmiki, ending with the line `yasya aaryo anumathe gathaH.' Saying thus the noble Bharatha fell into a swoon. There upon Kousalya became distraught with grief seeing the state of

Bharatha and consoled him. This shows that it is more diffecult to prove one's innocence of a crime than to prove him guilty because when some one is accused unjustly the onus is on the accused to prove that he is innocent. In all probability Kousalya might have known that Bharatha was ignorant of what happened but she might have thought that he had hastened to accept the kingdom got through the plan of his mother.Poor Bharatha had to prove his innocence again and again to each and everyone and had to undergo a life of hermit in order to remove last vestige of doubt that may linger in the minds of people. Kamban portrays beautifully the character of bharatha and the reaction of Kousalya to his words, which we shall see presently.