IndiaDivine.org

poothanam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear GuruDevs,

Guruvayurppan is the most favourite and popular God of Malayalees,besides ofcourse, SreeAyyappa. To Malyalees, He is not just Narayana or Krishna, but Guruvayurappan,who is accessible not only to great scholars who are knowledgable in Vedas,Gita, and other Vyakaranas, but also to the uninitiated. To HIM, just pure Bhakthi is more appealing than Vibhakthi.There are many real life stories, extolling this theme.I am giving one of these stories here for the benefit of nonmalyalee devotees of this website.

Poonthanam Namboothiri was a poor Brahmin who lived at the same time as Melpattur Bhattathirippad who wrote the famous Naryaneeyam. Poonthanam was not familiar with sanskrit and had not studied much.But he was an ardent devotee of Guruvayurappan. Having lost his son at a very young age,he saw Guruvayurappn asa little boy, Unnikannan.

..As a result of his devotion, he got inspired to write the poem called, Jnanapana(song ofJnana), in malayalam.Poonthanam went to Melpattur with great respect and requested him to look into this composition and correct it .Melpattur had finished writng Narayaneeyam and was already famous and became proud of his achievement. So he refused to look at this simple krithi written in Malayalam.Needless to say that Poonthanam was sad to hear it .Immeditely, Melpattur suddenly got stricken with severe arthritis, which he had relief after writing Narayaneeyam.

Not only that ,Guruvayurappan came to him in the form of a young boy and found countless mistakes in the Naryaneeyam itself!! Melpatur suddenly realised that the boy is Guruvayurappan himself and prostrated before HIM. HE told Melpattur "I like Poonthaanm,s bhakthi more than your vibhakthi"

Melpattur went to Poonthanam immediately and apologised to him profusely. He read the Jnanapana and could not find any mistake in it. Bhattathiri became cured of his arthritis as soon as he finished reading it!1 Poonthanam became haapy

Poothanam was reading Vishnusahasranamam one day and mistakenly pronounced MARAPRABHU intead of AMARAPRABHU. Melpattur made fun of Poonthanam about this. God immeditely said that He is also a Maraprabhu,meaning he is the lord of trees(Maram in malayalam means tree).

I will write more about HIS Leelas in my next email.

regards,

Sreedevi

OM NAMO NARAYANAYa