IndiaDivine.org

ONAM GREETINGS TO ALL MY FRIENDS ,And History of Onam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MY HEARTIEST AND WARM GREETINGS ON THE OCCASION

OF ONAM TO ALL

MY FRIENDS

Onam ( Malayalam: ഓണം) is an annual harvest festival, celebrated mainly in the Indian state of Kerala. Ranging from four days to ten days, all the activities during this season are centered around worshipping, music,dances, sports, boat races and

good food. Being a harvest festival,it is timeto thank God for the bountiful yield and enjoy the bounty of nature after a year of hard labour. Elaborate procession of Tripunithura and spectacular snake boat races.Like many other religious festivals in India, Onam is celebrated by people of all religions . Women dress up in new saris and heavy jewelry and make elaborate and intricate designs of 'rangolis' (with colored rice paste) and 'pookkalam' (with flowers) in front of their homes. The legendary king Mahabali is welcomed to his kingdom with all the reverence.

Onam has been part of Malayalee psyche for centuries. There are records of Onam being celebrated during the Sangam Age. The earliest record of Onam is found during time of Kulasekhara Perumals around A.D 800, soon after the Kalabhra Interregnum of Kerala History. Until the eighth century the political history is mostly unknown and is usually known as the Kalabhra Interregnum. Kalabhras were supposed to have been ruling Kerala until at least the sixth century. Kalabhras probably refers to Keralaputras. Who were they?. It was most probably the people of Mahabali.

Onam has two specific significance.First it is the communal memory and celebration of past history as ennunciated in the Mahabali Legend. A story of how paradise was lost.Second it is the celebration of the harvest tied with the memory of the golden age of prosperity. It is believed that during those days the whole of Chingam was celebrated as Onam season.After the rain drenched month of Karkidakam with its privations, Chingam is a welcome month for people in the state of Kerala. The festival is the harbinger of spring — signalling the start of the harvest season. Onam epitomizes the newfound vigour and enthusiasm of the season, and is celebrated with traditional fervour with visit to temples, family get-togethers, gifting each other clothes called Onakkodi and lots of merry making.

Kashyapa had two wives, Diti and Aditi, who were the parents of demons and demigods (Asuras and Devas) respectively. As the common practice in those days, for a King invading another kingdom to acquire additional territory, Indra, the king of demigods went on war with the king of Asuras. Mahabali, the King of Asuras defeated Indra and proceed to occupy Indra's territory. Kashyapa, who had gone to the Himalayas to do penance, on his return, found Aditi weeping over the defeat of her son, Indra. By divine insight, Kashyapa recognised the cause of grief. Kashyapa tried to console Aditi who was wailing in grief, saying that nothing happens in the world without God's will and people should go on doing their duties. Kashyapa asked Aditi to pray to Lord Narayana and taught her Payovrata, ritual that has to be observed from the twelfth day of the bright half Karthika (Sukla-paksha Dwaadasi). Since Aditi carried out the Vrata with a pious heart, Lord

Narayana appeared before her and informed her that he would himself take birth in her womb and help Indra. Later, on the twelfth day of the bright half of the month of Bhadrapada,Aditi gave birth to a son of uncommon effulgence. That child, "Vamana-murti", demonstrated His divine powers by doing marvelous deeds even when he was a child.

Balichakravarthi (Bali, The Emperor) or Mahabali, was the grandson of Prahlad, the son of Hiranyakasipu who was slayed by Vishnu in his Narasimha Avatar. Hiranyksha the brother of Hiranya Kasipu was slayed by Vishnu in his Varaha Avatar earlier. Prahalad being an Asura had great faith in Vishnu but his father, who was a devotee of Lord Brahma was very angry and hated all other devas but Lord Brahma. One cannot miss the series of warfare between Vishnu and the Asuras - those born of the breath of God.[citation needed] Asuras did not acknowledge Vishnu as God. Bali Maharaj, sat in Prahlad's lap as a child and learnt love and devotion of Lord Vishnu from Prahlad. As a result the Hindus of Kerala, are very devoted to Lord Vishnu to this day and Vishnu in turn is said to love the Keralites very much. The Keralites perform the Mohiniattam Dance, a dance dedicated to the female form of Vishnu, Mohini. There is also the dance Krishnanaattam. Many Keralites

also worship Narayani. Sri Narayani Peedam and Sri Bangaru Adigalar of Kerala and their followers claim that these two figures are a forms or avatars of the goddess Sri Narayani.

Mahabali's rule was the golden era of India

Mahabali who was performing the sacrificial rite of Viswajith at the banks of Narmada River, (Central India) and declared that he would give anything that anyone sought from him during this Yagna. At this the gods were very annoyed. Bali was the ruler of all the three worlds having defeated the devas. The gods approached Vishnu and asked for his help to dethrone Mahabali. Vishnu, incarnated in the form of Vamana, a dwarf to defeat the Daityas.

Vamana came to the Yaga-shala. As he was approaching them, the sages assembled there perceived the extraordinary effulgence form of the young lad. Mahabali went forth to receive the Brahmin boy with all traditional honours and gave him an eminent seat befitting the status of a holy person. Bali with the usual courtesy given to the people who come to ask for help told him Master! It is my good fortune that you have chosen to honour me with your presence. Whatever you desire, I am here ready to fulfil the same. Vamana smiled and said: "You need not give me anything great. It is enough if you give me that extend of land covered by three footsteps of mine".

On hearing him, Bali's preceptor, Shukracharya a Daitya priest, who could have vision of the future told Bali that the one, who had come to seed a gift from Bali was not an ordinary Brahmin but Lord Narayana Himself who had assumed this form. He advised Bali not to promise the lad anything. But Bali was a king who would never go back on his word and told his Guru that he would never break his promise. He was determined to give Vamana whatever he wanted since breaking one's word was a sin and he had to keep his pledge Shukracharya insisted that he should not fulfil the demand of Vamana as he had come to deprive Bali of all His possessions.

Bali, however, was determined to honour the word given to Vamana, begged pardon of his Guru for disregarding his advice. Earlier, while Bali was embarking on the war with Indra, he had prostrated at the feet of his preceptor, Shukracharya, and on his advice he performed the Vishwajit Yagna from which he secured very powerful weapons. It was only because of Shukracharya's help that he was able to conquer Indra. On this occasion, Bali was not prepared to heed the advice of the same preceptor. Shukracharya cursed Bali, saying: 'As you have not heeded your Guru's words, you will be reduced to ashes'. Bali was firm and replied: 'I am prepared to face any consequence but will not go back on my word'.

Saying so, he asked Vamana to measure the three feet of land as desired by him. All attempts of Shukracharya to dissuade Bali from offering the land desired by Vamana proved futile. Bali considered everyone who came to him as god himself and never refused anyone anything that they have asked. Bali told his Guru: "Prana (life) and Maana (honour) are the two eyes of a person. Even if life goes, honour should be protected. Granting that the person that has come now is the Lord Himself, I should be the most fortunate one as the Lord, who gives everything to mankind, is seeking something from me."

Vamana grew in size until he towered above the heavens. With one foot, he measured all of the earth. With the other, he claimed all of heaven. There was still one foot of territory that Bali owed him. Bali offered his head to be measured as the third step of land which Lord Vamana had asked for as alms. The story is that Vamana grew enormously in size and Mahabali realized that this is a divine being. For the devotion of this Daitya Mahabali, Lord Vishnu (Vamana) granted him rule over Patala. As a last wish Mahabali was granted the permission to visit his subjects once a year. Thus, Keralites celebrate Onam festival to commemorate the memory of a Great King Mahabali who would keep his promise. Mahabali fulfilled his name as the great martyr for the sake of Truth ("Satya"). The name "Mahabali" itself means Great Sacrifice. Thus Onam celebrates a series of martyrdom of the devoted Daityas.

During Onam, the feast and festive mood of the people, dressed in their best, is considered reminiscent of the prosperous and truthful life of the subjects during Bali's flawless reign. People wear new clothes (Vastra) during Onam. The 'Vastra' also stands for heart. Thus the significance of wearing new clothes is about making the heart new by removing all bad thoughts and feelings. People forgetting their sectarian outlooks, join together to welcome the auspicious 'Thiruvonam' day.

Ten days of Onam

Atham, Chitira, Chothy ,Vishakham, Anizham, Trikketta, Moolam , Pooradam, Utradam, Tiruvonam are the main 10 days and most of the Keralaites Celibrate Avittam and Chathayam also.(because most of the Married girls will go to there Husband house to celebrate Tiruonam and they will be back to there own home only on Tiruonam evening or Avittam morning .so they will celebrate onam also on Avittam and Chatayam.)

This is the only festival which is celebrated by the Christians of Kerala along with the Hindus.

with regards

dilip

Thank you and wish you too and your family a Very Happy Onam...

regards

Anil & Family

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM, DILIP KUMAR RAVINDRAN <prdili wrote:

MY HEARTIEST AND WARM GREETINGS ON THE OCCASION

OF ONAM TO ALL

MY FRIENDS

Onam ( Malayalam: ഓണം) is an annual harvest festival, celebrated mainly in the Indian state of Kerala. Ranging from four days to ten days, all the activities during this season are centered around worshipping, music,dances, sports, boat races and

good food. Being a harvest festival,it is timeto thank God for the bountiful yield and enjoy the bounty of nature after a year of hard labour. Elaborate procession of Tripunithura and spectacular snake boat races.Like many other religious festivals in India, Onam is celebrated by people of all religions . Women dress up in new saris and heavy jewelry and make elaborate and intricate designs of 'rangolis' (with colored rice paste) and 'pookkalam' (with flowers) in front of their homes. The legendary king Mahabali is welcomed to his kingdom with all the reverence.

Onam has been part of Malayalee psyche for centuries. There are records of Onam being celebrated during the Sangam Age. The earliest record of Onam is found during time of Kulasekhara Perumals around A.D 800, soon after the Kalabhra Interregnum of Kerala History. Until the eighth century the political history is mostly unknown and is usually known as the Kalabhra Interregnum. Kalabhras were supposed to have been ruling Kerala until at least the sixth century. Kalabhras probably refers to Keralaputras. Who were they?. It was most probably the people of Mahabali.

Onam has two specific significance.First it is the communal memory and celebration of past history as ennunciated in the Mahabali Legend. A story of how paradise was lost.Second it is the celebration of the harvest tied with the memory of the golden age of prosperity. It is believed that during those days the whole of Chingam was celebrated as Onam season.After the rain drenched month of Karkidakam with its privations, Chingam is a welcome month for people in the state of Kerala. The festival is the harbinger of spring — signalling the start of the harvest season. Onam epitomizes the newfound vigour and enthusiasm of the season, and is celebrated with traditional fervour with visit to temples, family get-togethers, gifting each other clothes called Onakkodi and lots of merry making.

Kashyapa had two wives, Diti and Aditi, who were the parents of demons and demigods (Asuras and Devas) respectively. As the common practice in those days, for a King invading another kingdom to acquire additional territory, Indra, the king of demigods went on war with the king of Asuras. Mahabali, the King of Asuras defeated Indra and proceed to occupy Indra's territory. Kashyapa, who had gone to the Himalayas to do penance, on his return, found Aditi weeping over the defeat of her son, Indra. By divine insight, Kashyapa recognised the cause of grief. Kashyapa tried to console Aditi who was wailing in grief, saying that nothing happens in the world without God's will and people should go on doing their duties. Kashyapa asked Aditi to pray to Lord Narayana and taught her Payovrata, ritual that has to be observed from the twelfth day of the bright half Karthika (Sukla-paksha Dwaadasi). Since Aditi carried out the Vrata with a pious heart, Lord Narayana appeared before her and informed her that he would himself take birth in her womb and help Indra. Later, on the twelfth day of the bright half of the month of Bhadrapada,Aditi gave birth to a son of uncommon effulgence. That child, " Vamana-murti " , demonstrated His divine powers by doing marvelous deeds even when he was a child.

Balichakravarthi (Bali, The Emperor) or Mahabali, was the grandson of Prahlad, the son of Hiranyakasipu who was slayed by Vishnu in his Narasimha Avatar. Hiranyksha the brother of Hiranya Kasipu was slayed by Vishnu in his Varaha Avatar earlier. Prahalad being an Asura had great faith in Vishnu but his father, who was a devotee of Lord Brahma was very angry and hated all other devas but Lord Brahma. One cannot miss the series of warfare between Vishnu and the Asuras - those born of the breath of God.[citation needed] Asuras did not acknowledge Vishnu as God. Bali Maharaj, sat in Prahlad's lap as a child and learnt love and devotion of Lord Vishnu from Prahlad. As a result the Hindus of Kerala, are very devoted to Lord Vishnu to this day and Vishnu in turn is said to love the Keralites very much. The Keralites perform the Mohiniattam Dance, a dance dedicated to the female form of Vishnu, Mohini. There is also the dance Krishnanaattam. Many Keralites also worship Narayani. Sri Narayani Peedam and Sri Bangaru Adigalar of Kerala and their followers claim that these two figures are a forms or avatars of the goddess Sri Narayani.

Mahabali's rule was the golden era of India

Mahabali who was performing the sacrificial rite of Viswajith at the banks of Narmada River, (Central India) and declared that he would give anything that anyone sought from him during this Yagna. At this the gods were very annoyed. Bali was the ruler of all the three worlds having defeated the devas. The gods approached Vishnu and asked for his help to dethrone Mahabali. Vishnu, incarnated in the form of Vamana, a dwarf to defeat the Daityas.

Vamana came to the Yaga-shala. As he was approaching them, the sages assembled there perceived the extraordinary effulgence form of the young lad. Mahabali went forth to receive the Brahmin boy with all traditional honours and gave him an eminent seat befitting the status of a holy person. Bali with the usual courtesy given to the people who come to ask for help told him Master! It is my good fortune that you have chosen to honour me with your presence. Whatever you desire, I am here ready to fulfil the same. Vamana smiled and said: " You need not give me anything great. It is enough if you give me that extend of land covered by three footsteps of mine " .

On hearing him, Bali's preceptor, Shukracharya a Daitya priest, who could have vision of the future told Bali that the one, who had come to seed a gift from Bali was not an ordinary Brahmin but Lord Narayana Himself who had assumed this form. He advised Bali not to promise the lad anything. But Bali was a king who would never go back on his word and told his Guru that he would never break his promise. He was determined to give Vamana whatever he wanted since breaking one's word was a sin and he had to keep his pledge Shukracharya insisted that he should not fulfil the demand of Vamana as he had come to deprive Bali of all His possessions.

Bali, however, was determined to honour the word given to Vamana, begged pardon of his Guru for disregarding his advice. Earlier, while Bali was embarking on the war with Indra, he had prostrated at the feet of his preceptor, Shukracharya, and on his advice he performed the Vishwajit Yagna from which he secured very powerful weapons. It was only because of Shukracharya's help that he was able to conquer Indra. On this occasion, Bali was not prepared to heed the advice of the same preceptor. Shukracharya cursed Bali, saying: 'As you have not heeded your Guru's words, you will be reduced to ashes'. Bali was firm and replied: 'I am prepared to face any consequence but will not go back on my word'.

Saying so, he asked Vamana to measure the three feet of land as desired by him. All attempts of Shukracharya to dissuade Bali from offering the land desired by Vamana proved futile. Bali considered everyone who came to him as god himself and never refused anyone anything that they have asked. Bali told his Guru: " Prana (life) and Maana (honour) are the two eyes of a person. Even if life goes, honour should be protected. Granting that the person that has come now is the Lord Himself, I should be the most fortunate one as the Lord, who gives everything to mankind, is seeking something from me. "

Vamana grew in size until he towered above the heavens. With one foot, he measured all of the earth. With the other, he claimed all of heaven. There was still one foot of territory that Bali owed him. Bali offered his head to be measured as the third step of land which Lord Vamana had asked for as alms. The story is that Vamana grew enormously in size and Mahabali realized that this is a divine being. For the devotion of this Daitya Mahabali, Lord Vishnu (Vamana) granted him rule over Patala. As a last wish Mahabali was granted the permission to visit his subjects once a year. Thus, Keralites celebrate Onam festival to commemorate the memory of a Great King Mahabali who would keep his promise. Mahabali fulfilled his name as the great martyr for the sake of Truth ( " Satya " ). The name " Mahabali " itself means Great Sacrifice. Thus Onam celebrates a series of martyrdom of the devoted Daityas.

During Onam, the feast and festive mood of the people, dressed in their best, is considered reminiscent of the prosperous and truthful life of the subjects during Bali's flawless reign. People wear new clothes (Vastra) during Onam. The 'Vastra' also stands for heart. Thus the significance of wearing new clothes is about making the heart new by removing all bad thoughts and feelings. People forgetting their sectarian outlooks, join together to welcome the auspicious 'Thiruvonam' day.

Ten days of Onam

Atham, Chitira, Chothy ,Vishakham, Anizham, Trikketta, Moolam , Pooradam, Utradam, Tiruvonam are the main 10 days and most of the Keralaites Celibrate Avittam and Chathayam also.(because most of the Married girls will go to there Husband house to celebrate Tiruonam and they will be back to there own home only on Tiruonam evening or Avittam morning .so they will celebrate onam also on Avittam and Chatayam.)

This is the only festival which is celebrated by the Christians of Kerala along with the Hindus.

with regards

dilip

thank you & same to u. DILIP KUMAR RAVINDRAN <prdili wrote: MY HEARTIEST AND WARM GREETINGS ON THE OCCASION OF ONAM TO ALL MY FRIENDS Onam ( Malayalam: ഓണം) is an annual harvest festival, celebrated mainly in the Indian state of Kerala. Ranging from four days to ten days, all the activities during this season are centered around worshipping, music,dances, sports, boat races and good food. Being a harvest festival,it is timeto thank God for the bountiful yield and enjoy the bounty of nature after a year of hard labour. Elaborate procession of Tripunithura and spectacular snake boat races.Like many other religious festivals

in India, Onam is celebrated by people of all religions . Women dress up in new saris and heavy jewelry and make elaborate and intricate designs of 'rangolis' (with colored rice paste) and 'pookkalam' (with flowers) in front of their homes. The legendary king Mahabali is welcomed to his kingdom with all the reverence. Onam has been part of Malayalee psyche for centuries. There are records of Onam being celebrated during the Sangam Age. The earliest record of Onam is found during time of Kulasekhara Perumals around A.D 800, soon after the Kalabhra Interregnum of Kerala History. Until the eighth century the political history is mostly unknown and is usually known as the Kalabhra Interregnum. Kalabhras were supposed to have been ruling Kerala until at least the sixth century. Kalabhras probably refers to Keralaputras. Who were they?. It was most probably the people of Mahabali. Onam has two specific significance.First it is the communal memory

and celebration of past history as ennunciated in the Mahabali Legend. A story of how paradise was lost.Second it is the celebration of the harvest tied with the memory of the golden age of prosperity. It is believed that during those days the whole of Chingam was celebrated as Onam season.After the rain drenched month of Karkidakam with its privations, Chingam is a welcome month for people in the state of Kerala. The festival is the harbinger of spring — signalling the start of the harvest season. Onam epitomizes the newfound vigour and enthusiasm of the season, and is celebrated with traditional fervour with visit to temples, family get-togethers, gifting each other clothes called Onakkodi and lots of merry making. Kashyapa had two wives, Diti and Aditi, who were the parents of demons and demigods (Asuras and Devas) respectively. As the common practice in those days, for a King invading another kingdom to acquire additional territory, Indra, the king of

demigods went on war with the king of Asuras. Mahabali, the King of Asuras defeated Indra and proceed to occupy Indra's territory. Kashyapa, who had gone to the Himalayas to do penance, on his return, found Aditi weeping over the defeat of her son, Indra. By divine insight, Kashyapa recognised the cause of grief. Kashyapa tried to console Aditi who was wailing in grief, saying that nothing happens in the world without God's will and people should go on doing their duties. Kashyapa asked Aditi to pray to Lord Narayana and taught her Payovrata, ritual that has to be observed from the twelfth day of the bright half Karthika (Sukla-paksha Dwaadasi). Since Aditi carried out the Vrata with a pious heart, Lord Narayana appeared before her and informed her that he would himself take birth in her womb and help Indra. Later, on the twelfth day of the bright half of the month of Bhadrapada,Aditi gave birth to a son of uncommon effulgence. That child, "Vamana-murti", demonstrated

His divine powers by doing marvelous deeds even when he was a child. Balichakravarthi (Bali, The Emperor) or Mahabali, was the grandson of Prahlad, the son of Hiranyakasipu who was slayed by Vishnu in his Narasimha Avatar. Hiranyksha the brother of Hiranya Kasipu was slayed by Vishnu in his Varaha Avatar earlier. Prahalad being an Asura had great faith in Vishnu but his father, who was a devotee of Lord Brahma was very angry and hated all other devas but Lord Brahma. One cannot miss the series of warfare between Vishnu and the Asuras - those born of the breath of God.[citation needed] Asuras did not acknowledge Vishnu as God. Bali Maharaj, sat in Prahlad's lap as a child and learnt love and devotion of Lord Vishnu from Prahlad. As a result the Hindus of Kerala, are very devoted to Lord Vishnu to this day and Vishnu in turn is said to love the Keralites very much. The Keralites perform the Mohiniattam Dance, a dance dedicated to the female form of Vishnu,

Mohini. There is also the dance Krishnanaattam. Many Keralites also worship Narayani. Sri Narayani Peedam and Sri Bangaru Adigalar of Kerala and their followers claim that these two figures are a forms or avatars of the goddess Sri Narayani. Mahabali's rule was the golden era of India Mahabali who was performing the sacrificial rite of Viswajith at the banks of Narmada River, (Central India) and declared that he would give anything that anyone sought from him during this Yagna. At this the gods were very annoyed. Bali was the ruler of all the three worlds having defeated the devas. The gods approached Vishnu and asked for his help to dethrone Mahabali. Vishnu, incarnated in the form of Vamana, a dwarf to defeat the Daityas. Vamana came to the Yaga-shala. As he was approaching them, the sages assembled there perceived the extraordinary effulgence form of the young lad. Mahabali went forth to receive the Brahmin boy with all traditional

honours and gave him an eminent seat befitting the status of a holy person. Bali with the usual courtesy given to the people who come to ask for help told him Master! It is my good fortune that you have chosen to honour me with your presence. Whatever you desire, I am here ready to fulfil the same. Vamana smiled and said: "You need not give me anything great. It is enough if you give me that extend of land covered by three footsteps of mine". On hearing him, Bali's preceptor, Shukracharya a Daitya priest, who could have vision of the future told Bali that the one, who had come to seed a gift from Bali was not an ordinary Brahmin but Lord Narayana Himself who had assumed this form. He advised Bali not to promise the lad anything. But Bali was a king who would never go back on his word and told his Guru that he would never break his promise. He was determined to give Vamana whatever he wanted since breaking one's word was a sin and he had to keep his pledge

Shukracharya insisted that he should not fulfil the demand of Vamana as he had come to deprive Bali of all His possessions. Bali, however, was determined to honour the word given to Vamana, begged pardon of his Guru for disregarding his advice. Earlier, while Bali was embarking on the war with Indra, he had prostrated at the feet of his preceptor, Shukracharya, and on his advice he performed the Vishwajit Yagna from which he secured very powerful weapons. It was only because of Shukracharya's help that he was able to conquer Indra. On this occasion, Bali was not prepared to heed the advice of the same preceptor. Shukracharya cursed Bali, saying: 'As you have not heeded your Guru's words, you will be reduced to ashes'. Bali was firm and replied: 'I am prepared to face any consequence but will not go back on my word'. Saying so, he asked Vamana to measure the three feet of land as desired by him. All attempts of Shukracharya to dissuade Bali from

offering the land desired by Vamana proved futile. Bali considered everyone who came to him as god himself and never refused anyone anything that they have asked. Bali told his Guru: "Prana (life) and Maana (honour) are the two eyes of a person. Even if life goes, honour should be protected. Granting that the person that has come now is the Lord Himself, I should be the most fortunate one as the Lord, who gives everything to mankind, is seeking something from me." Vamana grew in size until he towered above the heavens. With one foot, he measured all of the earth. With the other, he claimed all of heaven. There was still one foot of territory that Bali owed him. Bali offered his head to be measured as the third step of land which Lord Vamana had asked for as alms. The story is that Vamana grew enormously in size and Mahabali realized that this is a divine being. For the devotion of this Daitya Mahabali, Lord Vishnu (Vamana) granted him rule over Patala. As a

last wish Mahabali was granted the permission to visit his subjects once a year. Thus, Keralites celebrate Onam festival to commemorate the memory of a Great King Mahabali who would keep his promise. Mahabali fulfilled his name as the great martyr for the sake of Truth ("Satya"). The name "Mahabali" itself means Great Sacrifice. Thus Onam celebrates a series of martyrdom of the devoted Daityas. During Onam, the feast and festive mood of the people, dressed in their best, is considered reminiscent of the prosperous and truthful life of the subjects during Bali's flawless reign. People wear new clothes (Vastra) during Onam. The 'Vastra' also stands for heart. Thus the significance of wearing new clothes is about making the heart new by removing all bad thoughts and feelings. People forgetting their sectarian outlooks, join together to welcome the auspicious 'Thiruvonam' day. Ten days of Onam Atham, Chitira, Chothy

,Vishakham, Anizham, Trikketta, Moolam , Pooradam, Utradam, Tiruvonam are the main 10 days and most of the Keralaites Celibrate Avittam and Chathayam also.(because most of the Married girls will go to there Husband house to celebrate Tiruonam and they will be back to there own home only on Tiruonam evening or Avittam morning .so they will celebrate onam also on Avittam and Chatayam.) This is the only festival which is celebrated by the Christians of Kerala along with the Hindus. with regards dilip

Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now