IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Navaratri 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

During Navaratri, some devotees worship Durga Devi for the first three days, next three days Lakshmi is worshipped and the last three days Saraswathi Devi is worshipped. Tenth day is Vijaya dashami which is also called Vidyaarambham. But some other devotees worship Navadurgas or nine Durgas and each day one particular aspect of Devi is worshipped.

First let us explore the meaning of " Durga " and then worship one aspect of Durga Devi each night. Devi Bhagavatham gives several meanings and some of them are : Durga is

1. one who helps us to overcome misery or suffering.

2. One who destroys durgathi or bad fate.

3. One who is incomprehensible or one who can never be defeated.

4. One who protects us from all difficult situations.

Shailaputri or Daughter of Mountain

Himavan's daughter Parvathi Devi is the first among nine Durgas. She carries a trident in one hand and in the other hand, she has a lotus. Nandi is the vahana. Her head is adorned by a beautiful half moon. In the previous janma Parvathy was Sathi or Daakshaayani, daughter of Daksha.

First sloka from Sankaraachaarya's Devi sthotram

Na mantram no yantram thadapi cha na jane sthuthimaho,Na chahwanam dhyanam thadapi cha na jane sthuthi kadha,Na jane mudrasthe thadapi na jane vilapanam,Param jane matha thwadanusaranam klesa haranam.

Neither I know mantra nor thanthra nor your praise,Neither I know how to call you, nor meditate nor praise you,Neither I know mudras nor how to cry to you,But I know that by obeying you, I would get rid of all problems.

(translation by Shri P.R. Ramachander)

Amme Naaraayna! Devi Naaraayana! Lakshmi Naaraayana! Bhadre Naaraayana!

Regards and prayers

Savitri