IndiaDivine.org

Vijaya Dasami--The real Teachers' day

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Gurucharanaravindabhyam Namah.

Today is Vijaya Dasami, the day good won over the evil, the culmination of the nine-day worship of Devi in different forms, Durga, Lakshmi and finally as Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of learning. Our children and grandchildren are initiated into the academic learning process today. It is also reminiscent of the day we all started the academic learning process, starting with " Harih, Sreeh, Ganapathaye Namah, Avighnam asthu " .

We celebrate " Teachers' Day " , " Guru Poornima " etc., on different days, but really speaking, today is the day we should remember our first Guru who initiated us, might be father, grandfather or any other learned person with whose blessings we are all what we are today. Similarly, today is the day we should remember our teachers in school, college, etc., who are normally forgotten, once we pass out of our Alma Mater In fact, if we are able to trace our teachers and try to meet them some time, whether they remember us or not, they feel much more elated and happy. Unlike the present day where teacher-student interaction is almost nil, education was different in those days, ( I am referring to the days when I was in school) when teachers used to take individual care and attention of all the boys and girls they teach, remembering their parents, etc.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to meet the teacher who taught English in my fourth form. He was decrepit old, more than 95, blind and living with his great grandchildren. When I introduced myself as his student and son of so-and-so, he was so happy, felt me and embraced me. I presented him with a thermos flask, and he was so happy to receive it. I am told that he was keeping it at his bedside and used it fondly (casting away all other flasks) till he passed away some time back. Such is the love of the teacher for the student who remembers him.

On this day of Vijaya Dasami, let us remember our old teachers and rededicate ourselves to their memory, wherever they are.

Regards

K.V. Gopalakrishna.