IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Blessings behind 16,008 wives

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Sree Raama had " eka patni vratham " or He had taken a vow that he would have only one wife in His life. It was really commendable for Him to take that vow during Threthayugam because the social norms allowed more than one wife. Even his own father King Dasharatha had three wives at the same time. Now Vishnu Bhagavan's next avathaaram, our Lord Guruvayurappan had 16,008 wives. This happened because of the blessings Sree Raama received from 16 pious Rishis.There is an interesting story about this in Aanada Raamaayanam.

One day Lord Sree Raama and Seetha Devi were happily resting in their palace. Then Vayasa Muni happened to visit them. Immediately Lord and Seetha Devi received Vayasa Muni with all respect, Lord Himself washed his feet and Devi Herself fanned the Muni and served delicious food with Her own hand. While chatting with Muni Lord Raama said, " Mahaamune! I have taken a vow that I will have only one wife. All the other women are like my mother Kousalya to me. " Then Vyaasa Muni said, " Sree Raamadeva, this " one-wife vow " will not work in your next avathaaram. You will have lot of wives in that avathaaram. "

Lord Raama knew that Vyaasa Muni's words would not be asathyamor untrue. So he asked Muni: " Mune! if that is the case, how can I have all the wives in my next avathaaram as perfect (gunavathy) as my Jaanaki? "

Muni said " Seethapathe! make 16 life-size statues of Sitadevi in gold and the weight of the statues should match Sitadevi's weight. Then you have to give this to 16 great Rishis as gift or daanam on the banks of Sarayu Nadi. Then they will bless you! "

Lord Raama did exactly what Vyaasa muni told and each Rishi blessed Him with 1000 wives and hence Krishna bhagavan had 16,000 wives by the blessings of 16 Rishis and other 8 wives were forms of Prakruthi Devi herself.

Gopika jeevanasmaranam Govinda! Govinda!

Regards and prayers

savitri