IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Can we complain?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

For some unknown reason, I am reminded of an incident that happened several years ago in Mumbai Airport. My thoughts after boarding the plane to Cochi is coming back to me very vividly and I thought those are coming back to my mind becasue Guruvayurappan and Bhagavathi want me to share those with everybody and hence my attempt to put it in words.

I got out of the Delta Airlines around 1.30 AM in Mumbai and was in the process of transferring myself and my luggage to the domestic airport. I was waiting for the bus to come (and remember it was around 2.20 AM), a fairly well dressed young woman with a three or four year old approached me and asked for some money. I had some ruppees and I gave it to her. She disappeared in the dark. Bus came and I reached the domestic airport. I saw the same lady coming with the child asking for money. By that time I had tipped the porter and I had a few more ruppees in my hand. So I gave her that and she followed me for sometime. Then thinking that she was going to ask for more money, I told her that I had no more money with me.

Her answer surprised me and gave me food for thought for my whole trip from Mumbai to Cochin and for several days and years more. She told me that she came to thank me because the money I gave was enough to pay a small loan she had to give back before 6 AM. Then she told me that she never begged before in her life and even though she was working as a servant, she had a very happy life with her husband and child. She bought a shirt for her husband without his knowledge for his birthday and that money has to be returned by 6AM next day. Her husband had gone to Poona and will be back the next morning. She missed the last bus at 12 and the next bus was at 3 AM. She smiled and said she had no complaints in her life and she was very thankful for everything God had given her. She apologized me for asking for money twice. She looked so contented and happy. I told her that I respect her attitude in finding contentment in what she had. Then she told me that she was in a very very trying situation several years ago and at that time she promised God that when she got out of that situation, she would never complain about anything. She said :

" God kept His word and now I am keeping my word! "

She did not elaborate on the situation she went through. Tears rolled down her eyes and then she took leave and disappeared in the dark. I had to wipe my tears too.

What did I learn from her? I should have learnt volumes and volumes from her. Have I learnt? I do not know. Since then, am I trying to internalize the lesson I learnt and trying to apply in my own life? Even that I do not know. Did I learn to count my blessings since then? I do not know. Irrespective of my reaction to this incident, I thought I should share this with all whom I care for.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear Savitriji,

The incident you have narrated is very moving and the way you have narrated it is most wonderful. It also indicates your magnanimity.

But we cannot always be sure about the genuineness of such claims. Once when I was travelling by train from Madras to Bombay a person approached me and told me that the money he had with him fell short of the fare for the journey by Rs.15 and annas 10. (Those days we had annas). He wanted the amount as a loan which he promised to repay on reaching Bombay where his relation would meet him at the station with the money. I had previous experience of such cases and I knew what would happen, but I still gave him the money, just to test whether he was also of the same type as those I had seen earlier. At Bombay he got down and walked away, passing by me as if he had never seen me before.

Some years ago such cases were few. But now if you travel in India you have to be very careful. There are people who make friends with co-passengers and offer them biscuits, etc., which are laced with drugs. The person who takes them becomes unconscious and then he or she is robbed of everything.

May Guruvayurappan protect us from such fraudsters.

Best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Dear all,

For some unknown reason, I am reminded of an incident that happened several years ago in Mumbai Airport. My thoughts after boarding the plane to Cochi is coming back to me very vividly and I thought those are coming back to my mind becasue Guruvayurappan and Bhagavathi want me to share those with everybody and hence my attempt to put it in words.

I got out of the Delta Airlines around 1.30 AM in Mumbai and was in the process of transferring myself and my luggage to the domestic airport. I was waiting for the bus to come (and remember it was around 2.20 AM), a fairly well dressed young woman with a three or four year old approached me and asked for some money. I had some ruppees and I gave it to her. She disappeared in the dark. Bus came and I reached the domestic airport. I saw the same lady coming with the child asking for money. By that time I had tipped the porter and I had a few more ruppees in my hand. So I gave her that and she followed me for sometime. Then thinking that she was going to ask for more money, I told her that I had no more money with me.

Her answer surprised me and gave me food for thought for my whole trip from Mumbai to Cochin and for several days and years more. She told me that she came to thank me because the money I gave was enough to pay a small loan she had to give back before 6 AM. Then she told me that she never begged before in her life and even though she was working as a servant, she had a very happy life with her husband and child. She bought a shirt for her husband without his knowledge for his birthday and that money has to be returned by 6AM next day. Her husband had gone to Poona and will be back the next morning. She missed the last bus at 12 and the next bus was at 3 AM. She smiled and said she had no complaints in her life and she was very thankful for everything God had given her. She apologized me for asking for money twice. She looked so contented and happy. I told her that I respect her attitude in finding contentment in what she had. Then she told me that she was in a very very trying situation several years ago and at that time she promised God that when she got out of that situation, she would never complain about anything. She said :

She did not elaborate on the situation she went through. Tears rolled down her eyes and then she took leave and disappeared in the dark. I had to wipe my tears too.

What did I learn from her? I should have learnt volumes and volumes from her. Have I learnt? I do not know. Since then, am I trying to internalize the lesson I learnt and trying to apply in my own life? Even that I do not know. Did I learn to count my blessings since then? I do not know. Irrespective of my reaction to this incident, I thought I should share this with all whom I care for.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

I had a different type of experience. After four months stay in US I was returning to Kochi by Air France flight from Washington DC. The flight reached Chennai by around midnight and I had only some dollar currency notes and no rupees at all. I thought I will get it exchanged at the money changers in Chennai but the rate they quoted was very low and I thought why do I need money at all since I am reaching home early morning the next day. I had asked my second son to come to the airport and meet me and there was no necessity for money at all. I reached Kochin in the morning at 7.15 and got my luggage from the conveyor and came out. All my copassengers left and I was left all alone and there was no sign of my son.. Time was 8 am and I got worried. I wanted to make a phone call to ascertain what is the problem that he has not reached the airport. I asked a decent

looking gentleman to allow me to use his mobile phone, but he refused. I asked for some changes from somebody explaining the situation and they said they dont have any money. I asked another person to give me at least Rs.5/- which I will return the moment my son comes. He gave me Rs. 5/- and I went inside the airport and called my son. When she saw my worried face the lady who runs the phone booth told me that she would have allowed me to use the phone had I explained the situation to her. My son ultimately came and I took Rs.5/- from im and returned to the gentleman who gave me at amount. Just for want of a rupee coin to enable me to make a phone call I had to undergo so much humiliation and mental agony. --- On Fri, 24/10/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?Friday, 24 October, 2008, 3:36 PM

Dear all,

Her answer surprised me and gave me food for thought for my whole trip from Mumbai to Cochin and for several days and years more. She told me that she came to thank me because the money I gave was enough to pay a small loan she had to give back before 6 AM. Then she told me that she never begged before in her life and even though she was working as a servant, she had a very happy life with her husband and child. She bought a shirt for her husband without his knowledge for his birthday and that money has to be returned by 6AM next day. Her husband had gone to Poona and will be back the next morning. She missed the last bus at 12 and the next bus was at 3 AM. She smiled and said she had no complaints in her life and she was very thankful for everything God had given her. She apologized me for asking for money twice. She looked so contented and happy. I told her that I respect her attitude in finding contentment in what she had. Then she told

me that she was in a very very trying situation several years ago and at that time she promised God that when she got out of that situation, she would never complain about anything. She said :

"God kept His word and now I am keeping my word!"

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Respected Sastriji,

Thank you for the words of warning. You are absolutely right and in future I will be careful. Still I am hoping that she was genuine and even if she was acting, I am thanking Guruvayurappan that she taught me a very good lesson through her drama. As you mentioned, there are many Maarichaas and Poothanaas in this world and they will show their demonic form when they are in danger. Thank Goodness ! Guruvayurappan was kind enough to show me only one side of her and hopefully that was the only side she had!

Once again my humble pranamams

Respectful regards and prayers

Savitri

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:13 AM, S.N. Sastri <sn.sastri wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

The incident you have narrated is very moving and the way you have narrated it is most wonderful. It also indicates your magnanimity.

But we cannot always be sure about the genuineness of such claims. Once when I was travelling by train from Madras to Bombay a person approached me and told me that the money he had with him fell short of the fare for the journey by Rs.15 and annas 10. (Those days we had annas). He wanted the amount as a loan which he promised to repay on reaching Bombay where his relation would meet him at the station with the money. I had previous experience of such cases and I knew what would happen, but I still gave him the money, just to test whether he was also of the same type as those I had seen earlier. At Bombay he got down and walked away, passing by me as if he had never seen me before.

Some years ago such cases were few. But now if you travel in India you have to be very careful. There are people who make friends with co-passengers and offer them biscuits, etc., which are laced with drugs. The person who takes them becomes unconscious and then he or she is robbed of everything.

May Guruvayurappan protect us from such fraudsters.

Best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Dear all,

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear Ramachandraji,

I think Bhagavan plans these incidents to make us more humble and meditate on the inner meanings of the these incidents. It is amazing that we have so much to learn and meditate on everyday happenings. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regards and prayers

savitri

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:47 AM, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon wrote:

I had a different type of experience. After four months stay in US I was returning to Kochi by Air France flight from Washington DC. The flight reached Chennai by around midnight and I had only some dollar currency notes and no rupees at all. I thought I will get it exchanged at the money changers in Chennai but the rate they quoted was very low and I thought why do I need money at all since I am reaching home early morning the next day. I had asked my second son to come to the airport and meet me and there was no necessity for money at all. I reached Kochin in the morning at 7.15 and got my luggage from the conveyor and came out. All my copassengers left and I was left all alone and there was no sign of my son.. Time was 8 am and I got worried. I wanted to make a phone call to ascertain what is the problem that he has not reached the airport. I asked a decent looking gentleman to allow me to use his mobile phone, but he refused. I asked for some changes from somebody explaining the situation and they said they dont have any money. I asked another person to give me at least Rs.5/- which I will return the moment my son comes. He gave me Rs. 5/- and I went inside the airport and called my son. When she saw my worried face the lady who runs the phone booth told me that she would have allowed me to use the phone had I explained the situation to her. My son ultimately came and I took Rs.5/- from im and returned to the gentleman who gave me at amount. Just for want of a rupee coin to enable me to make a phone call I had to undergo so much humiliation and mental agony.

--- On Fri, 24/10/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?

Friday, 24 October, 2008, 3:36 PM

Dear all,

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Om Namo Narayanaya.Dear Savitriji, PraNams. Thanks for sharing your experience; I pray that Guruvayurappan grant you every happiness and all the strength to guide us all so that we may continue to meditate on our everyday life incidents and learn valuable lessons from them.Recently a friend of mine has been reading from "The Prophet" to us. Kahlil Gibran's take on giving and (at the very end) on receiving seemed very appropriate here -

Kahlil Gibran's “

The Prophet”

----------

THEN said a rich

man, "Speak to us of Giving."

And he answered:

You give but little when you give of your possessions.

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give..............................

.................There are those who give little of the much which they have - and they give it

for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.

And there are those who have little and give it all.

These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is

never empty.

There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.

And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.

And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy,

nor give with mindfulness of virtue;

They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.

Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He

smiles upon the earth.

It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through

understanding;

And to the open-handed the search for one who shall receive is joy greater than

giving

And is there aught you would withhold?

All you have shall some day be given;

Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your

inheritors'.

You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."

The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.

They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.....................

.....................See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.

For in truth it is life that gives unto life - while you, who deem yourself a

giver, are but a witness.

And you receivers - and you are all receivers - assume no weight of gratitude,

lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.

Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings;

For to be overmindful of your debt, is to doubt his generosity who has the

free-hearted earth for mother, and God for father.

------Warm regards,Veena.--- On Sat, 10/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?guruvayur Date: Saturday, October 25, 2008, 7:32 AM

Dear Ramachandraji,

I think Bhagavan plans these incidents to make us more humble and meditate on the inner meanings of the these incidents. It is amazing that we have so much to learn and meditate on everyday happenings. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regards and prayers

savitri

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:47 AM, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon@ > wrote:

I had a different type of experience. After four months stay in US I was returning to Kochi by Air France flight from Washington DC. The flight reached Chennai by around midnight and I had only some dollar currency notes and no rupees at all. I thought I will get it exchanged at the money changers in Chennai but the rate they quoted was very low and I thought why do I need money at all since I am reaching home early morning the next day. I had asked my second son to come to the airport and meet me and there was no necessity for money at all. I reached Kochin in the morning at 7.15 and got my luggage from the conveyor and came out. All my copassengers left and I was left all alone and there was no sign of my son.. Time was 8 am and I got worried. I wanted to make a phone call to ascertain what is the problem that he has not reached the airport. I asked a decent looking gentleman to allow me to use his mobile phone, but he refused. I asked

for some changes from somebody explaining the situation and they said they dont have any money. I asked another person to give me at least Rs.5/- which I will return the moment my son comes. He gave me Rs. 5/- and I went inside the airport and called my son. When she saw my worried face the lady who runs the phone booth told me that she would have allowed me to use the phone had I explained the situation to her. My son ultimately came and I took Rs.5/- from im and returned to the gentleman who gave me at amount. Just for want of a rupee coin to enable me to make a phone call I had to undergo so much humiliation and mental agony.

--- On Fri, 24/10/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?

Dear all,

Her answer surprised me and gave me food for thought for my whole trip from Mumbai to Cochin and for several days and years more. She told me that she came to thank me because the money I gave was enough to pay a small loan she had to give back before 6 AM. Then she told me that she never begged before in her life and even though she was working as a servant, she had a very happy life with her husband and child. She bought a shirt for her husband without his knowledge for his birthday and that money has to be returned by 6AM next day. Her husband had gone to Poona and will be back the next morning. She missed the last bus at 12 and the next bus was at 3 AM. She smiled and said she had no complaints in her life and she was very thankful for everything God had given her. She apologized me for asking for money twice. She looked so contented and happy. I told her that I respect her attitude in finding contentment in what she had. Then she told

me that she was in a very very trying situation several years ago and at that time she promised God that when she got out of that situation, she would never complain about anything. She said :

"God kept His word and now I am keeping my word!"

Regards and prayers

Savitri

Dear Veenaji,

Thank you very much.

Khalil Gibran's words are so powerful and meaningful. Neither the trees nor the rivers look at who receives their gift and what they do with it. Always to be at the giving end is far more enjoyable and blissful than to be at the receiving end. But again, God decides at which end we will be and shall be. Vedas encouraged giving knowledge, love and wealth. As Khali Gibran said, let God bless us to " deserve to be a giver and an instrument of giving. "

At this point I am reminded of another statement by Buddha Deva: " Consider the flame of a single lamp. Though a hundred thousand people come and light their own lamps and brighten their life and ward off the darkness, the first lamp remains the same as before. Like wise, let man share his strength of intelligence, power, wealth and love to help others and still remain the same to enlighten more lives. "

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful words of Khalil Gibran.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Veena <veeus18 wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya.Dear Savitriji, PraNams. Thanks for sharing your experience; I pray that Guruvayurappan grant you every happiness and all the strength to guide us all so that we may continue to meditate on our everyday life incidents and learn valuable lessons from them.

Recently a friend of mine has been reading from " The Prophet " to us. Kahlil Gibran's take on giving and (at the very end) on receiving seemed very appropriate here -

Kahlil Gibran's " The Prophet"

----------

THEN said a rich man, " Speak to us of Giving. " And he answered:You give but little when you give of your possessions.It is when you give of yourself that you truly give..............................

.................There are those who give little of the much which they have - and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.And there are those who have little and give it all.

These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.

And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.

It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding;And to the open-handed the search for one who shall receive is joy greater than givingAnd is there aught you would withhold?

All you have shall some day be given;Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors'.You often say, " I would give, but only to the deserving. " The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.

They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.........................................See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.For in truth it is life that gives unto life - while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness.

And you receivers - and you are all receivers - assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.

Rather rise together with the giver on his gifts as on wings;For to be overmindful of your debt, is to doubt his generosity who has the free-hearted earth for mother, and God for father.

------Warm regards,Veena. --- On Sat, 10/25/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?guruvayur

Saturday, October 25, 2008, 7:32 AM

Dear Ramachandraji,

Regards and prayers

savitri

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:47 AM, ramachandra menon <ramachandramenon@ > wrote:

I had a different type of experience. After four months stay in US I was returning to Kochi by Air France flight from Washington DC. The flight reached Chennai by around midnight and I had only some dollar currency notes and no rupees at all. I thought I will get it exchanged at the money changers in Chennai but the rate they quoted was very low and I thought why do I need money at all since I am reaching home early morning the next day. I had asked my second son to come to the airport and meet me and there was no necessity for money at all. I reached Kochin in the morning at 7.15 and got my luggage from the conveyor and came out. All my copassengers left and I was left all alone and there was no sign of my son.. Time was 8 am and I got worried. I wanted to make a phone call to ascertain what is the problem that he has not reached the airport. I asked a decent looking gentleman to allow me to use his mobile phone, but he refused. I asked for some changes from somebody explaining the situation and they said they dont have any money. I asked another person to give me at least Rs.5/- which I will return the moment my son comes. He gave me Rs. 5/- and I went inside the airport and called my son. When she saw my worried face the lady who runs the phone booth told me that she would have allowed me to use the phone had I explained the situation to her. My son ultimately came and I took Rs.5/- from im and returned to the gentleman who gave me at amount. Just for want of a rupee coin to enable me to make a phone call I had to undergo so much humiliation and mental agony.

--- On Fri, 24/10/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Can we complain?

Dear all,

Regards and prayers

Savitri