IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Draupadimandahaasam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

om namo bhagavathe vasudevaya

respected savithri ji,

ananthakodi namaskarams,

mandhahasam of draupathi is very nice and the explanation by the respected bhishma pithamaha is to be the best for the growing children now a days.The importance of satsang is nicely explained.We expect more of this type of stories from you.

our ananthakodi namaskarams again and again,

subramanian.p.s. and usha subramanian,madurai

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- DraupadimandahaasamThursday, November 6, 2008, 12:02 PM

Dear all,

We all know about one smile or mandahaasam of Draupadi that casued the Kurukshethra war. That is when she sarcastically smiled at Duryodhana's "sthalajalabhramam" inside the palace built for Pandavaas by the architect of Devaas. Duryodhana mistook the plain floor for water and where there was water he mistook for plain floor and several times fell down and Draupadi was really amused and laughed at him.

Now there is one more instance Draupadi smiled. Bheeshmaachaaray was lying on Sharashayya or bed of arrows and Yudhishtira came along with other Paandavaas, Draupadi and Krishna to see their grandfather. Then at Lord Krishna's request, Bheeshmaachaarya advises dharmam or gives dharmopadesham to Yudhishtira. When Draupadi heard grandfather advising her husband, she felt like smiling. Nobody understood why Draupadi smiled in such a grave situation and somebody asked her the reason for her unusual behaviour. Draupadi was reluctant to say the reason in front of the most respected Bheeshmaji. Then Bheeshmaji told her to express her sentiments with out any reservation.

With apologies, she told Bheeshma pithamaha: Pithamaha! When I was disrobed in the Kaurava sabha, you were present there. I was wondering where were your Dharmam and Jnaanam at that time? This thought brought smile to my lips. I am very sorry."

Bheeshama Pithamaha said in a very peaceful tone: "Dear daughter, please pardon me. Your question is very appropriate and this gives me a chance to explain the reason for my action. To be honest with you, because of the bad company of Kauravaas (dussangam) and by eating their food and staying with them, my mind became impure and that impure mind could not react to the adhaarmic situations. My state of mind was pathetic. Now all the evil blood I accumulated in the company of wicked and malicious Kaurvaas are lost by the arrows of Paandavaas (Arjuna). You can see the blood oozing from my body and with the loss of that bad blood, my awareness of dharmam and knowledge is coming back and I am sharing that with all of you. May Lord bless you!"

Draupadi was very pleased with Bhesshma's words and they all prostrated before the Pitamaha for the last time and his jeevachaitanyam merged in The Lord!

This incident reinforces the importance of satsangam and illustrates how company of evil people can affect even a Mahathma like Bheesham Pithamaha.

Regards and prayers

Savitri