IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Sharanagathi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Respected Madam,

Very well formed mail.

I understood very well. I am not as knowledgeable as the group members.

But because I am part of the group I am getting this Prasadam.

And it is so very nourishing I am feeling the positive energy in my each and every step.

Om Namo Shivaya.

Geeta Shetty

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of Savitri PuramFriday, November 07, 2008 5:24 PMundisclosed-recipients:; @venusjewel.com[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sharanagathi

Dear all,

According to the Vaishnava tradition, there are 4 steps to Sharanagathi- Gamanam, Arpanam, Yaachanam, and Svikaram.

These four steps are actually valid in material life also. For example if you want a loan from a bank, you have to go there with completed application form (Gamanam), submit the application form (Arpanam), then request them to grant the loan (Yaachanam) and they have to accept the application (Svikaaram). In material world we have to add one more step- approval and actual awarding of the loan. These steps need no more explanation.

In spiritual world also the first four steps are same and if we are sincere, approval is guaranteed. There is no eligibility requirements other than our attitude of total surrender. Actually in my own humble opinion, there are only two steps, Gamanam and Arpanam because IF and WHEN we are able to offer yourself at His feet, everything is His responsibility. No question of begging and accepting. But those two words, IF and WHEN are so important, and ordinary people like us have to keep praying for material and spiritual needs until the attitude of total surrender rises! As Sriramakrishna Paramahamsar put it, in the beginning He makes us pray for small and big things and fulfills our desires directly or indirectly and builds our unfailing faith in Him. First step of going to Him is the most important. Does that desire to approach Him come from inherent tendencies born out of our praarabd ha karma? Yes, is the answer from scriptures. Also power of discrimination directs our free will of action to actually get up and go to Him.

Let us go over in detail each step to Sharanagathi or total surrender.

Gamanam- Moving towards God: It can be in many ways and for different purposes. Some may approach for simple blessings, some for specific purposes like curing illness, relief from poverty or other miseries or some for expressing their love. Having constant communication with Him is more important and slowly the deep relationship makes the devotee feel good and regularly walk towards Him.

Arpanam: Offering oneself. As devotee progresses towards Him, he can offer himself at His feet and the attitude of total surrender is the only thing Bhagavan asks for. It can be done along with some Naivedyam, flowers, fruits, or just water. Devotee imagines Bhagavan's presence in one special room in his house or in the temple or everywhere.

Yaachanam: or praying for his blessings or any other material as well as spiritual needs: His response can be in different ways just like our prayers can be different. His blessings are often understood as punishments by others, but a devotee understands all the blessings in disguise. It is amazing that God understands all the prayers in disguise and real devotees understand all blessings in disguise! He is always a listener, but never a passive listener. Instead of asking for something, like Shri Vilvamangalam, we can just tell Him in what state of affairs we are. Here is that beautiful verse: (sorry for the digression)

Ayi Murali mukundasmera vakthraaravinda

svasanamadhu rsajne thvaam pranamyadya yaache

adharamanisameepam praapthavathyaam bhavathyaam

Kadhaya rahasi karne maddashaam nandasoono:

"Oh! murali or flute! I salute and pray to you, who knows the taste of the hone of the breath on the smiling lotus like face of Mukunda, when you get near the lips of Krishna. please communicate my state of affairs or plight in His ears( which are very near to the lips!) "

Svikaaram- acceptance: Our experience of God's acceptance and the enjoyment of unconditional love established between the devotee and God is next. This stage is also called bliss or nirvruthi and there is nothing a devotee wants beyond this and surprisingly there is nothing God wants beyond this. Both Dvaithis and Advaithis meet here, Dvaithi experiences the bliss of becoming His eternal servant where as Advaithi experiences the bliss of Moksham or merging of Jeevaathma with Paramaathma. How does it matter? Lord allows to express the same experience differently.

Sreekrishnaarpanamasthu!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

--------------------------

Venus Jewel, Mumbai, India

Dear Geethaji,

Let us offer your kind words at the lotus feet of Guruvayurappan!

Regards and prayers, nandipoorvam

Savitri

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Geeta Shetty <geetashetty wrote:

Respected Madam,

Very well formed mail.

I understood very well. I am not as knowledgeable as the group members.

But because I am part of the group I am getting this Prasadam.

And it is so very nourishing I am feeling the positive energy in my each and every step.

Om Namo Shivaya.

Geeta Shetty

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of Savitri Puram

Friday, November 07, 2008 5:24 PMundisclosed-recipients:; @venusjewel.com[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Sharanagathi

Dear all,

According to the Vaishnava tradition, there are 4 steps to Sharanagathi- Gamanam, Arpanam, Yaachanam, and Svikaram.

These four steps are actually valid in material life also. For example if you want a loan from a bank, you have to go there with completed application form (Gamanam), submit the application form (Arpanam), then request them to grant the loan (Yaachanam) and they have to accept the application (Svikaaram). In material world we have to add one more step- approval and actual awarding of the loan. These steps need no more explanation.

In spiritual world also the first four steps are same and if we are sincere, approval is guaranteed. There is no eligibility requirements other than our attitude of total surrender. Actually in my own humble opinion, there are only two steps, Gamanam and Arpanam because IF and WHEN we are able to offer yourself at His feet, everything is His responsibility. No question of begging and accepting. But those two words, IF and WHEN are so important, and ordinary people like us have to keep praying for material and spiritual needs until the attitude of total surrender rises! As Sriramakrishna Paramahamsar put it, in the beginning He makes us pray for small and big things and fulfills our desires directly or indirectly and builds our unfailing faith in Him. First step of going to Him is the most important. Does that desire to approach Him come from inherent tendencies born out of our praarabd ha karma? Yes, is the answer from scriptures. Also power of discrimination directs our free will of action to actually get up and go to Him.

Let us go over in detail each step to Sharanagathi or total surrender.

Gamanam- Moving towards God: It can be in many ways and for different purposes. Some may approach for simple blessings, some for specific purposes like curing illness, relief from poverty or other miseries or some for expressing their love. Having constant communication with Him is more important and slowly the deep relationship makes the devotee feel good and regularly walk towards Him.

Arpanam: Offering oneself. As devotee progresses towards Him, he can offer himself at His feet and the attitude of total surrender is the only thing Bhagavan asks for. It can be done along with some Naivedyam, flowers, fruits, or just water. Devotee imagines Bhagavan's presence in one special room in his house or in the temple or everywhere.

Yaachanam: or praying for his blessings or any other material as well as spiritual needs: His response can be in different ways just like our prayers can be different. His blessings are often understood as punishments by others, but a devotee understands all the blessings in disguise. It is amazing that God understands all the prayers in disguise and real devotees understand all blessings in disguise! He is always a listener, but never a passive listener. Instead of asking for something, like Shri Vilvamangalam, we can just tell Him in what state of affairs we are. Here is that beautiful verse: (sorry for the digression)

Ayi Murali mukundasmera vakthraaravinda

svasanamadhu rsajne thvaam pranamyadya yaache

adharamanisameepam praapthavathyaam bhavathyaam

Kadhaya rahasi karne maddashaam nandasoono:

" Oh! murali or flute! I salute and pray to you, who knows the taste of the hone of the breath on the smiling lotus like face of Mukunda, when you get near the lips of Krishna. please communicate my state of affairs or plight in His ears( which are very near to the lips!) "

Svikaaram- acceptance: Our experience of God's acceptance and the enjoyment of unconditional love established between the devotee and God is next. This stage is also called bliss or nirvruthi and there is nothing a devotee wants beyond this and surprisingly there is nothing God wants beyond this. Both Dvaithis and Advaithis meet here, Dvaithi experiences the bliss of becoming His eternal servant where as Advaithi experiences the bliss of Moksham or merging of Jeevaathma with Paramaathma. How does it matter? Lord allows to express the same experience differently.

Sreekrishnaarpanamasthu!

Regards and prayers

Savitri

--------------------------

Venus Jewel, Mumbai, India