IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- At the feet of Daandyaayana Maharshi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Alexander the great, after defeating several countries during his digvijaya yaathra reached the banks of Sindhu River to defeat Bhaaratham. A maharshi called Daandyaayanan was doing penance there. Alexander came near the sage and sage did not acknowledge his presence or respect him as a King. Alexander was very angry because he perceived the lack of respect as arrogance and raised his sword to cut his head.

Then the sage started laughing. Alexander was perplexed to see him laughing at his own imminent death and asked him why he was laughing. Alexander told him that he never saw anybody doing this before and he had killed so many people who did not surrender to him.

Then sage uttered these words with confidence and courage: " You tried to kill me by beheading. That is why I am laughing. I was thinking how foolish you are to think that you can kill me. I am not the body. I am the soul or self and IT is infinite and extremely subtle. So the sword cannot cut IT, fire cannot burn IT, wind cannot dry It, water cannot wet IT. IT is unmanifested, unthinkable and unchangeable. IT is all pervading and eternal. "

Nainam cchindanti shastraani nainam dahati paavaka: Na chainam kledayantyaapo na shoshayati maaruta:

Acchedyoyam adaahyoyam akledyoshoshya eva cha; Nityah sarvagata: sthaanurachaloyam sanaatana:.

Avyaktoyam achintyoyam avikaaryoyam uchyate; Tasmaad evam viditwainam naanushochitum arhasi.

Alexander was so surprised to see somebody who is not afraid of even death and he did namaskar to him. He continued his journey and his mind was filled with respect for the spirituality of India.

Sree Krishnaarpanamasthu

Regards and prayers

Savitri