IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Do not feed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Savithriji,

Very beautiful advice indeed! I sincerely wish that you compile all the stories that you sent us into a book and gift it to the next generation.Each one gives out such a good message.

Look forward to hear more stories like this.

regards,

Sangeetha--- On Mon, 12/15/08, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Do not feedMonday, December 15, 2008, 8:04 AM

Dear all,

This is a story Sree Ramakrishna Paramahamsar told as an answer to a devotee's doubt or question. A devotee came to see Paramahamsar and asked him: "Prabho, I am trying to meditate and how ever hard I try I am not able to concentrate. My mind wanders all over and please tell me how I can control my mind and meditate on God"

Sree Rama Krishna Paramahasar told: "I will tell you a story. Imagine that a hungry stray dog came to your house and you felt sorry for the dog and fed it with some left over food. What will happen next day? It will come again and if you keep giving, it will stay in your house like a pet dog and will never leave the house. There is no reason for the dog to leave because when ever he is hungry he is getting enough food and sleeps happily on the veranda. Now what would you do to get rid of the dog? The only way is stop feeding him and when it is hungry it will leave your home and go somewhere searching for food. Like wise your mind was getting enough food from material things, scenes, experiences and sights.When ever the mind was hungry for fancy material pleasures and sensual desires, you were feeding it with all those and instantly quenched it's hunger and thirst. Now when you tell it to forget about all those, and concentrate on God, it

will not listen that easily. It has been trained so well in this life and perhaps in many many lives in satisfying it's sensual needs immediately. Your mind is used to instant gratification. Now you will have to be strict with the mind and stop giving this type of food. Then it will slowly turn it's direction to where you want it to go and you will be able to concentrate more and more. Train the mind to look inside and when you completely stop attracting it from outside, you will see the difference."

This devotee strictly followed Sree Ramkrishana Paramahamsa's advice and after several years he became a great disciple of swamiji who could meditate for hours with out breaking his chain of thought binding himself to God.

May God guide us through the right path!

Regards and prayers

savitri