IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Unaccepted gifts go back to the sender

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Buddha was known for his patience and tolerance. Lot of Buddha's contemporaries did not agree with His views about life and spirituality and disliked Him. Buddha was confident of Himself and never worried about other's opinion about Him.

One day Buddha was meditating and an old man came there and started abusing him verbally. He was shouting at Buddha at the top of his voice and mercilessly throwing very harsh words at Him. Buddha remained silent with out even making any expressions on His face.

After some time he was tired of shouting and was about to leave. Then Buddha said: " Friend, Have you finished? If you are done, I have a question for you. When you offer a gift to somebody and if he does not accept that gift, what is your protocol? "

He was not in the best of mood to answer Buddha's question. He angrily said: " If they do not accept, I will just take it back with me. "

Buddha said: " You came to see me with several gift packets filled with abusive and harsh words and offered to me. I am not accepting those. So as per your protocol, you are taking those back with you. "

Then the old man realized that none of the angry and abusive words he uttered did not affect Buddha where as those words were making him feel miserable. Buddha's silence made them come back and and he felt the pain.

He apologized and begged for forgiveness. Buddha was very happy to see the chang of attitude and encouraged him be more patient. Later he became a disciple of Buddha.

Regards and prayers

Savitri