IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Procrastination is the thief of time

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

This is a story Bhishmaji told Yudhishtira Maharaja. It reinforces the importance of remembering and worshipping God starting right from the childhood.

There was small pond and three fishes by the name Deerghadarshi, Praapthakaalanjan and Deerghasoothri lived there. Because of the extreme summer, water in the pond was slowly drying and the first fish with the name Deerghadarshi told the other two: " Friends, pond will dry up soon. I think it is better to escape soon to the ocean nearby because water in the ocean will never dry up. Fishermen may come now since it is easier to catch us when the water is not deep. I am going to leave the pond tonight. " Praapthakaalanjan said: " I agree with you. But I think it is too early to leave now when there is enough water. You are too cautious. Even if the fisherman comes and catches me I am ready to fight and get out. " Then Deerghasoothri said: " You two think too much. Nothing will happen. When that situation comes, then we will think about it. I do not want to do anything unless I have to. We will worry about it later. Now enjoy your life, ha!ha!ha! "

Deerghadarshi left the pond the same night. After a few days when the fisherman came, Praapthakaalanjnan had some plan of escape and he struggled and escaped somehow from his net. Totally unprepared Deerghsoothri, who was the personification of procrastination, was caught and killed by the fisherman and became fisherman's food.

Bhismaachaarya told that just like the three types of fishes, there are three types of people in this world. Some start searching for the meaning of life and the relation between Jeevatma and Parmaatma right from their childhood by prayers and satsangam. They are called Utthamajanam (Deerghadarshi). Some start this search towards the end of their life or after middle age by chanting naamam and prayers and regret that they did not start it earlier. Still they spend the rest of their life remembering God. They are called Madhyamajanam(Praapthakaalajnan) and some never accepts god and His power and falls in to the never ending cycle of birth and death. Those people who are reluctant to devote some time in contemplation of the higher power and procrastinate their spiritual journey are called Deerghasoothri.

Bhisnaachaaraya says that procrastination is the thief of time in material world and that is all the more true in the world of spirituality. Prahlad Maharaj also says about the importance of remembering God right from childhood.

Regards and prayers

savitri