IndiaDivine.org

Meaning of Thatwamasi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

' Thath Thvam asi ,' means 'that thou art.' 'That' refers to Brahman, '

'thou 'to individual soul and 'art ' mean sthat the individual soul is identical with Brahman in the real state. Brahman is the absoulute reality ans tha individual soul is different from Brahman due to wrong identification with body. mind and intellect cause oby ignoarance or avidhya. When the ignorance is removed the individual soul, jeeva realises that it is notdifferent from Brahman. This isa ccording to advaita. Ramanuja explains thatyhvamasi in a slightly different manner.

He says,

'Thathvamasi' and other scriptural texts that claim unity with Brahman do not imply identity.The merging with Brahman is like when the gross body and subtle body are given up and the individual is identified with the soul. There are ample texts substantiating this

The philosophy of visishtadvaita is one of unity in diversity. There are two different sets of sruti texts, one set, abhedhasruti, affirming unity and the other, bhedhasruti upholding difference between Brahman and the universe of cit and acit. The former are cited by advaitin to prove the identity of jiva and Brahman while the latter are upheld as authoritative by dvaita school which claim that jiva is different from Brahman.

Ramanuja avoids the two extremes and resort to the third set of vedic texts which he calls ghatakasruti which expound Brahman as the inner ruler , antharyamin of everything. Brahman , Narayana of visishtadvaita, is the Sariri , Self of sentient and insentient beings which form His Sarira.

The bhedha and the abhedha texts highlight only a certain facet of reality and the advocates of these sruti texts expound their respective views based on either one of the texts eclipsing the other facets by dialectical skill But Ramanuja is of the view that the sruti texts should be interpreted in such a manner as to reconcile the both, and this he achieves by means of the ghataka srutis.Thus the philosophy of Ramanuja can be called a synthetic approach that bridges the two extremities of advaita and dvaita. and hence it is neither dogmatic nor partial, combining intellect and emotion, unique in its harmony practical in its approach.

The explanation of Thathvamasi according to advit and visishtadvait awill require a whole chapter. This is only a gist of the same.

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Sat, 1/24/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat[Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi""guruvayur group guruvayur group" <guruvayur >Saturday, January 24, 2009, 5:42 PM

pranamam to all

Can you e explain the meaning of Thatwamasi

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Dear Friend,Thatwamasi means the Almighty is saying that I am everywhere and Everyone is in me. m I hope I am correct, I was told about this during my second trip to Sabarimala.RgdsShankar--- On Sat, 24/1/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat[Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi""guruvayur group guruvayur group" <guruvayur >Saturday, 24 January, 2009, 5:42 PM

pranamam to all

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0!

Tat is a Sanskrit word meaning 'That' and it stands for Brahman. Tvam means 'Thou' and it stands for the individual, known in vedanta as 'jiva'. Asi is a verb meaning'are'. So Tat tvam asi means -- the jiva is brahman. Every living being is in reality Brahman which is the only Reality according to Advaita vedanta. The world is only an appearance of Brahman. Because of avidya or ignorance the jiva does not know that he is Brahman and looks upon the world as real. When this ignorance is removed by knowledge the jiva realizes that he is Brahman and that the world has no reality. But as long as we are under ignorance the world has empirical reality.

S.N.Sastri

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

pranamam to all

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

I askede this question to Swamy Prathyakbodananda of Arshavidya

Gurukulam founded by Swamy Dayananda Saraswathi in Sailesburgh in PA.

He replied me that to explain and know the correct-inner- meaning of

Thatwamasi will take 6months.

vijaya venkatesh

guruvayur , jayasankar vattekkat

<vinodvattekkat wrote:

>

> pranamam to all

> Â

> Can you e explain the meaning of Thatwamasi

> Â

> Hari aum

> Â

> Jsvattekkat

>

>

> Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

http://messenger./invite/

>

AUM NAMO NARAYANAYA

Thanks for your clarification.

With Pranamam

JS Vattekkat

--- On Sat, 24/1/09, Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote:

Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18Re: [Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi"guruvayur Date: Saturday, 24 January, 2009, 7:03 PM

' Thath Thvam asi ,' means 'that thou art.' 'That' refers to Brahman, '

'thou 'to individual soul and 'art ' mean sthat the individual soul is identical with Brahman in the real state. Brahman is the absoulute reality ans tha individual soul is different from Brahman due to wrong identification with body. mind and intellect cause oby ignoarance or avidhya. When the ignorance is removed the individual soul, jeeva realises that it is notdifferent from Brahman. This isa ccording to advaita. Ramanuja explains thatyhvamasi in a slightly different manner.

He says,

'Thathvamasi' and other scriptural texts that claim unity with Brahman do not imply identity.The merging with Brahman is like when the gross body and subtle body are given up and the individual is identified with the soul. There are ample texts substantiating this

The philosophy of visishtadvaita is one of unity in diversity. There are two different sets of sruti texts, one set, abhedhasruti, affirming unity and the other, bhedhasruti upholding difference between Brahman and the universe of cit and acit. The former are cited by advaitin to prove the identity of jiva and Brahman while the latter are upheld as authoritative by dvaita school which claim that jiva is different from Brahman. Ramanuja avoids the two extremes and resort to the third set of vedic texts which he calls ghatakasruti which expound Brahman as the inner ruler , antharyamin of everything. Brahman , Narayana of visishtadvaita, is the Sariri , Self of sentient and insentient beings which form His Sarira. The bhedha and the abhedha texts highlight only a certain facet of reality and the advocates of these sruti texts expound their respective views based on either one of the texts eclipsing the other facets by dialectical skill But Ramanuja is of the view that the sruti texts should be interpreted in such a manner as to reconcile the both, and this he achieves by means of the ghataka srutis.Thus the philosophy of Ramanuja can be called a synthetic approach that bridges the two extremities of advaita and dvaita. and hence it is neither dogmatic nor partial, combining intellect and emotion, unique in its harmony practical in its approach.

The explanation of Thathvamasi according to advit and visishtadvait awill require a whole chapter. This is only a gist of the same.

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

www.freewebs. com/asrama3

--- On Sat, 1/24/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat@ .co. in> wrote:

jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat@ .co. in>[Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi""guruvayur group guruvayur group" <guruvayur@grou ps.com>Saturday, January 24, 2009, 5:42 PM

pranamam to all

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

Pranamams Shankarji,When we reach the end of the life tunnel, we start to see everything is nothing but the God himself. Every atom is a manifestation of that Supreme energy. At that time we will telling, like mad, Krishna! It is You. Nothing is without you..... That when the real meaning of 'Tat Tvam Asi' will reach you. Till then, TAT TVAM ASI means, TAT-that; ASI-is; TVAM-you; That is You. :-)With regardsPraveen--- On Sat, 1/24/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat[Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi""guruvayur group guruvayur group" <guruvayur >Saturday, January

24, 2009, 7:12 AM

pranamam to all

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

Pranamam Vijayaji,

Thanks for your clarification

Aum Namo narayanaya

Jayasankar Vattekkat--- On Sat, 24/1/09, vijayav47 <no_reply > wrote:

vijayav47 <no_reply >[Guruvayur] Re: Meaning of "Thatwamasi"guruvayur Date: Saturday, 24 January, 2009, 10:43 PM

I askede this question to Swamy Prathyakbodananda of ArshavidyaGurukulam founded by Swamy Dayananda Saraswathi in Sailesburgh in PA.He replied me that to explain and know the correct-inner- meaning ofThatwamasi will take 6months.vijaya venkateshguruvayur@grou ps.com, jayasankar vattekkat<vinodvattekkat@ ...> wrote:>> pranamam to all> Â > Can you e explain the meaning of Thatwamasi> Â > Hari aum> Â > Jsvattekkat> > > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go tohttp://messenger. / invite/>

Pranamam Shankarji,

Thanks for your clarifications

AUM NAMO NARAYANAYA

JAYASANKAR VATTEKKAT--- On Sat, 24/1/09, shankaran unni tharagar <shankaranunnitharagar wrote:

shankaran unni tharagar <shankaranunnitharagarRe: [Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi"guruvayur Date: Saturday, 24 January, 2009, 8:22 PM

Dear Friend,Thatwamasi means the Almighty is saying that I am everywhere and Everyone is in me. m I hope I am correct, I was told about this during my second trip to Sabarimala.RgdsShankar--- On Sat, 24/1/09, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat@ .co. in> wrote:

jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat@ .co. in>[Guruvayur] Meaning of "Thatwamasi""guruvayur group guruvayur group" <guruvayur@grou ps.com>Saturday, 24 January, 2009, 5:42 PM

pranamam to all

Hari aum

Jsvattekkat

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0!

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.