IndiaDivine.org

Tulasi Maharani!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!Prabhupada Said: on Tulasi Worship

"Please, please be merciful to us and send us specific personal instructions so that we may adequately serve the feet of Srimati Tulasi-

devi !

We beg to remain your humble servants eternally.

Vidya-devi dasi and servants to Srimati Tulasi-devi , Los Angeles

Questions:

1. Is each tulasi a separate jiva soul or an expansion of one pure devotee?

2. Where does her spirit soul go when she leaves this body?

3. May we place jewelry in her soil or just moon stones?

4. When tulasi is being cared for by householders in their homes, must two aratis still be offered?

5. When tulasi is being cared for by householders in their homes, may they use her leaves and manjaris on their home offerings or should they take them to the temple?

6. When tulasi is being offered arati by the householders, must she have a ghee lamp?

7. Is it offensive to turn the baby tulasis back into the soil when they appear?

8. There are even questions concerning tulasi's aratis. We have always offered her incense, ghee lamp, and a flower. Is this correct?

9. In the manual, it states that tulasi should not be pruned. Does this mean trimming the branches which no longer have leaves or life fluids flowing through them?

10. We were told you once spoke the "four regulative principles of tulasi care" which will keep her from getting sick: (a) keep her moist; (b) keep her clean; © give her morning sunlight (at least); (d) give her two aratis a day. Is this bona fide?

11. May tulasi be made into a tea after she has been offered?

12. May devotees carve tulasi wood for Deity paraphernalia?

13. When tulasi leaves her body and the body is too soft for carving beads, how should she be used? Should a small fire sacrifice be performed?

14. We have a letter from you requesting that no sprays be used on Tulasi-

devi . May we use a spray of buttermilk and whole wheat flour dissolved in water which coats her leaves to keep spider mites from causing tulasi to leave her body?

15. Does tulasi sleep? Should she be left undisturbed after nightfall?

16. Is it permissible to use scissors to cut her manjaris, and when transplanting, to use knives to loosen her from her pot?

17. Is it an offense to step on or across her shadow (or the shadow of any pure devotee)?

18. For two years we have been waiting permission to use the following two prayers plus translations and a translation of the already existing prayer. Please tell us if these are bona fide:

om govinda-vallabham devim

bhakta-caitanya-karinim

snapayami jagad-dhatrim

hari-bhakti-pradayinim

"Now I am bathing the mother of the universe, the bestower of Krsna

bhakti, the enlivener of the living force of the devotees and the dear one of Govinda."

cayanodbhava-duhkham ca

yad hrdi tava vartate

tat ksamasva jagan-matah

vrnda-devi namo stu te

"O mother of the universe, please forgive whatever misery exists in your heart caused by the cutting of your leaves. O Vrnda-devi , let me offer my obeisances unto you."

om tulasy amrta-janmasi

sada tvam kesava-priya

kesavartham cinomi tvam

barada bhava sobhane

"O Tulasi, you are born from nectar and always dear to Lord Kesava. Now, for the service of Krsna, I am picking your leaves, O one who is shining brightly."

"My dear Vidya dasi,

Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter dated September 27, 1976.

If it is not possible for Tulasi to survive the winters when planted in the ground, then a suitable house should be provided for her. Even in the Canadian temples, which are in a much colder climate, they are keeping Tulasi nicely. Why should there be so much difficulty in Los Angeles, which has such a nice climate? Just do everything very carefully. Tulasi flourishes where there is love and devotion.

In answer to your questions: (1) Tulasi is one devotee who appears wherever there is devotion to Krsna. (2) Tulasi's body is spiritual. (3) Yes, jewelry is all right. (4) If possible. (5) Tulasi leaves should be offered to the Deity. (6) If possible. (7) Yes. (8) Yes. (9) You may cut the dead branches, but what is the necessity? (10) I never said that. (11) No. (12) Yes. (13) Use the wood for beads as far as possible, the balance may be placed within the earth. (14) I said no chemical sprays. (15) Undisturbed means what? (16) Use common sense and if you have none then consult with others. (17) No. (18) Don't try to introduce something new. The most important thing is the love and devotion.

Hoping this meets you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami"

Devotees will probably always continue to inquire how they may increase or improve the performance of Deity worship and their other service activities. Prabhupada gives some important guidelines here when he writes, "Don't try to introduce something new. The most important

thing is the love and devotion." Not simply by adding more mantras and more paraphernalia do we increase the standard of devotion. At the same time, Prabhupada gradually introduced more of the temple activities as time went by and he saw that the devotees were able to do it. As far as possible, we should try to gather Prabhupada's authoritative instructions and follow them, such as this valuable collection of advice about tulasi worship.

Vidya-devi dasi was impelled by her devotion to tulasi to ask Prabhupada many questions about her worship, but Prabhupada, by his short replies, reminds us that even on a practical basis, tulasi is kept alive and well by the love and devotion of her worshipers. That is the main ingredient.

- From the Prabhupada Nectar by HH Satsvarupa dasa GoswamiPlease Chant Hare Krishna Maha_Mantra N B Happywww.krishna.com www.asitis.com www.srimadbhagavatam.com

-----------------------