IndiaDivine.org

Brahma Purana . Part 7

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Brahma Purana part… 7

Namaste

Let us Continue Reading Puranas.

Puranas are also a Treasure to Sanathana Dharma.

Agni Purana, Brahma Purana, Garuda Purana,

Markandeya Purana, Varaha Purana, Matsya Purana

Vishnu Purana, Linga Purana, Narada Purana,

Padma Purana, Shiva Purana, Skanda Purana,

Vamana Purana

Let us start read one by one .

We Finish reading AGNIPURANA ,

Now we will Continue reading BRAHMA Purana .same like

before I will post Brahma Purana as part by part.

I Know while reading Manusmriti to read

Other puranas may be difficult , but as you know

atleast to taste our great values in

Sananthana Dharma One Human life is not enough,

so I try my level best to spread this values

to my respected friends.

If anyone miss to read or interest to read my

previous postings Chanakya Neetisastra,

Kautiliya Arthasastra , Vidura niti or

Tiruvallurs Tirukkural,and Uddhavagita or

any part of Manusmriti ,Agnipurana, Brahma purana

pls mail to me , I will send again to you.

I humbly request you to forward this values to your family, friends and to your groups. Allow all people from different religion to understand the value of our Sanathana Dharma. At least let them learn and then let them criticize.

Here we Continue the translation of the text of the BRAHMA PURAN in Short at the currently available form :

I am not a scholar to modify any of this laws or puranas or its languages suitable for modern life .I Humbly request you to read it and think in a modern scientific way. Like in Bhagavadgita Chapter 18 text 63 it is said by lord Krishna Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.

As my Guru told me

One need not worry too much about the source of certain knowledge. Just adopt in our life if they are good. If needed refine the knowledge by way of addition, deletion, modification and correction. Also try to understand the meaning of Different Castes , it is not by birth it is by his performance.

Brahma Purana part… 7Vishvamitra and Indra Many years ago, there was a terrible drought. Ther was no food to be had. The sage Vishvamitra had come to the banks of the river Goutami Ganga with his disciples. Vishvamitra’s wife, children and disciples were all hungry. The sage therefore sent his disciples out to look for food. They searched everywhere, but could find no food. The only object that they could find was the body of a dead dog. They brought this to Vishvamitra. We have no choice, Vishvamitra told his disciples. Clean the meat carefully with water. Then offer it to the gods, the sages and the

ancestors. This what we have to live on. Offering the meat of a dog to the gods was unheard of. Indra adopted the form of a hawk and stole the vessel in which the meat was kept. But Vishvamitra go to know about this and got ready to curse Indra. Indra was naturally scared of Vishvamitra’s curse. He changed the dog-meat into amrita ( a heavenly drink) and brough the vessel back. I don’t want amrita, Vishvamitra told Indra. Bring the dog-meat back. I don’t want to have amrita when the whole world is starving for food. There is no food available and I do not see any sin in eating dog-meat. Nor should there be a sin in offering it to the gods. Indra was the god of rains. He realized that the only way to persuade Vishvamitra against eating the dog-meat was to make it rain so that there would be an end to the drought. Instructed by Indra, the clouds poured down rain. Vishvamitra and his disciples now consented to

partake of the ammrita. The place where all this happend has come to be known as Vishvamitratirtha. Shveta There used to be a brahmana named Shveta. He was a friend of the sage Goutama and had a hermitage on the banks of the Goutami Ganga. Shveta was also devoted to Shiva. In due course, Shveta died and Yama’s messengers arrived to take Shveta to Yama. But they could not even enter Shveta’s house. Finding that Yama’s messengers were not returning, Yama’s companion Chitraka told Yama, What do you think has happened? Why aren’t the messengers returning? Yama now sent his companion Mrityu (literally death) to find out what was going on. Mrityu went to Shveta’s house and found Yama’s messages standing outside the house. They explained that they were unable to enter the house because Shiva himself was guarding Shveta’s

body. One of Shiva’s companions asked Mrityu. What are you doing here? What do you want? I have come to take Shveta to Yama, replied Mrityu. His time on earth is up. Mrityu flung a noose to grasp Shveta’s body. But Shiva’s companion struck Mrityu with a rod and killed him. When the news of this was taken to Yama, he was furious. With all his companions he attacked Shveta’s house. Nandi, Ganesha, Kartikeya and several of Shiva’s companions came to fight on Shiva’s side, and a battle royal raged. All the gods arrived to mediate and end the strife. Things had got a bit out of hand and Yama himself had been killed by Kartikeya. The problem seemed to defy solution. Yama was, after all, performing his duty. But Shiva insisted that his devotees would never be taken to Yama, but would instead go straight to heaven. Shiva’s conditon was finally agreed to. Nandi brought water from the Goutami Ganga

and sprinkled it on Yama and the others who had died in the fighting. They were all immediately brought back to life. Kubera Kubera was the eldest son of the sage Vishrava. Vishrava had two wives. The first wife gave birth to Kubera. The second wife was a rakshasa (demon) woman and gave birth to Ravana, Kumbhakarna and Vibhishana. Kubera used to rule in Lanka and his relations with his cousins were extemely good. But Ravana’s mother did not like idea of her sons mixing so much with Kubera. She called her sons and said, What are you up to? Why do you cause me so much of pain? You are demons and Kubera is a god. Is it proper that you should be so friendly with him? The relation between gods and demons is one of enmity. Consider Kubera’s pomp and glory. Have you got anything like that to show for yourselves? Do something so as to improve your own

statures. Thus instructed by their mother, Ravana, Kumbhakarna and Vibhishana went off to the forest to perform tapasya. They pleased Brahma with their prayers and desired the boon that they might win over the kingdom of Lanka, Ravana also obtained the boon that he would become very strong. Thus fortified with the boons, the demons attacked Kubera and defeated him. They drove Kubera out of Lanka, Kubera possessed a beautiful vimana named pushpaka. This was also appropriated by Ravana. Ravana also made it known that whoever gave Kuber refuge would be killed by him. This meant that no one dared give refuge to Kubera. Kubera sought the advice of his grandfather Pulastya. Pulastya told him to go to the banks of the Goutami

Ganga and pray to Shiva there. Shiva appeared before Kubera and blessed him. He granted Kubera that Kubera would become the god of all wealth. Harishchandra In the Ikshvaku dynasty there ruled a king named Harishchandra. Harishchandra had so son. One day two sages named narada and Parvata came to visit harishchandra and told him that he would go to hell if he did not have a son. How can I obtain a son? asked Harischchandra. Go to the banks of the Goutamai Ganga. advised the sages. Pray to the god Varuna there. We are sure that Varuna will grant you a son. Harishchandra pleased Varuna with his prayers and asked for a son. You will have a son, said Varuna. But there is a conditon attached. You will have to suubsequently organize a yajna in my honour and you will have to sacrifice your son at this yajna. Tell me if this condition is

acceptable to you. Yes indeed, replied Harischchandra. In due course, Harishchandra had a son who was named Rohita. Varuna came ot Harishchandra and asked, What about the yajna in my honour? Please let him grow his teeth, replied Harishchandra. Animals are sacrificed at yajnas. And no one becomes an animal until he actually has teeth. Varuna waited till the teeth grew and returned When Rohita was seven years of age. What about the yajna in my honour? he asked. These are only milk teeth, replied harishchandra. These do not characterise an animal. Please wait until his proper teeth have grown. Varuna returned whent he proper teeth grew and asked, What about the yajna in my honour? He is the son of a kshatriya (the second of the four classes, a warrior class). Replied Harishchandra. But his training in the art of fighting has not even begun. He cannot be

called a kshatriya unitl he knows how to fight. Till that day he is an incomplete man. Do you really want such an incomplete man as a sacrifce? After some years had passed, Rohita became skilled in the art of fighting and was appointed the heir-apparent (yuvaraja) to the kingdom. He was then sixteen years of age. Varuna appeared again and asked, What about the yajna in my honour? This time the entire converstation took place in front of the prince and Rohita intervened before Harishchandra could say anything. Fahter, he said I have already resolved to perform a yajna I Vishnus honour. Grant me the permision to complete that first. After that , do what you will. Rohita went off to the forest. Meanwhile, Varuna had had enough and he afflicted harishchandra with a painful stomach ailment. News of his father’s illiness was taken to Rohita in the forest. In the forest, Rohita met a sage named Ajigarata.

The sage was very poor and, together with his wife and three sons, was starving. Will you sell one of your three sons to me? asked Rohita. The boy is needed for a sacrifice. I shall not sell my eldest son, said the sage. My wife will not permit the yougest one to be sold. You can have the one in the middle. His name is Shunahshefa. The price will be one thouand cows, one thousand golden coins, one thousand pieces of clothing and a lot of wealth. Rohita paid the price and brought Shunahshefa home to Harishchandra. We can’t do this, said Harishchandra. It is the duty of kings to protect the brahmanas. How can we sacrifice the son of a brahmana? It is better to die instead. Go and return Shunahshefa to his father. Just then a divine voice was heard from heaven. The voice said, There is no need for anyone to die. Take Shunahshefa to the banks of the Goutami Ganga and perform the yajna to

Varuna there. Goutami Ganga is such a sacred river that no human sacrifices are needed if a yajna is performed there. This is what Harishchandra did and Varuna was satisfied. As for Shunahshefa, he was adopted by the Vishvamitra as a son. Vriddhagoutama The sage Goutama had a son named Vriddhagoutama. Vriddhagoutama was also a sage. But he was very ugly. Besides, he had no nose; had never had one since he had been born. He was so ashamed of this deformity that he could not bear to join the other children of the sages in studying the Vedas and shastras under a teacher. But Vriddhagoutama knew some incantations (mantras) which he always chanted. He also worshipped the god Agni. When he grew a bit older, Vriddhagoutama went out to tour the world. He travelled to many places and met many people. Since he was deformed, he never got married. Who would want to

marry a person so ugly as he? In the course of his travels, Vriddhagoutama arrived at a mountain named Shitagiri. He discovered a beautiful cave in the moutain and thought that this might be a good place to live in. So he entered the cave and was very surprised to find an old woman inside. The woman had obviously been living inside the cave for many years. Her body was thin and wasted from the rigor of severe tapasya. Vriddhagoutama was about to touch the feet of such a venerable old woman, but the woman restrained him. Please don’t touch my feet, said the woman. You are my guru. Does a guru ever bow before his disciple? Vriddhagoutama was surprised at these words. This was the first time in his life that he had met the old woman. How can I be your guru?, he asked. You are much older than me. Besides, I have never learnt anything and you are clearly a respected ascetic. Your words are a complete mystery to

me. Let me tell you my story, said the old woman. Otherwise, you will not understand.’ There used to be a handsome and brave prince named Ritadhvaja. He was the son of King Arshtishena. Ritadhvaja went on a hunt to the forest and arrived at that very cave. There he happened to meet an apsara named Sushyama. The two fell in love with each other and got married. But eventually, Ritadhvaja had to return home and Sushyama gave birth to a daughter there. Sushyama left her daughter in the cave itself with the instruction that she was not to leave the cave. The first man to enter the cave would become her husband. It was this daughter who had now become the old woman. Ritadhvaja had reigned for eighty thousand years. After that, Ritadhvaja’s son had reigned for ten thousand years. All this while, Sushyama’s daughter had lived in the cave, that is, for ninety thousand years all together. Now you see that you are to

be my husband, said the old woman. Is a husband not a guru? What you say is quite impossible, replied Vriddhagoutama. You are much older than me. I am only a thousand years old and you more than ninety thousand. How can we marry? I am like a child next to you. If you do not marry me, I will kill myself, said the old woman. But I am ugly, protested Vriddhagoutam. I will promise you this much. If I ever become handome and learned, I will indeed marry you. I have pleased the goddess Sarasvati, who presides over all learning, through my tapasya, said the old woman. She will make you learned. I have also pleased the Varuna and he will make you handsome. Vriddhagoutama became handome and learned and married the old woman. They lived happily in the cave. One day, various sages came to visit the couple. Amongst them, there were learned sages like Vashishtha and Vamadeva. But here were

also young sages who were not all that sensible. The younger sages started to laught at the sight of the young and handsome Vriddhagoutama and his aged wife. Who is this man? they asked the old woman. Is he your son or your grandson? The sages went away, but the couple felt ashamed. They asked the sage Agastya what they might do. Agastya told them to go and bathe in the river Goutami Ganga. The river is so sacred that all one’s heart’s desires are thereby granted. The couple did this and prayed to Vishnu and Shiva. Wonder of wonders, the old woman became young and pretty. The place on the banks of the river where these wonderful things happened is a tirtha named vriddhasangama.

Will be continue on part 8

with regards

dilip