now.<http://in.rd./tagline_messenger_6/*http://messenger./invi\

te/>

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks a lot!

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, Viswanathan K <kvichu2000 wrote:

Viswanathan K <kvichu2000Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:20 AM

Bhoja: Kusume Kusumothpathi Srooyathe na drusyathe!Kalidasa completes: Bale thava mukhambhuje drushtam Indeevaradwayam! !

Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 >guruvayur@grou ps.comSaturday, March 7, 2009 5:28:27 PMRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

I am searchng for this slka fora long time . I think this was the reply to the slokarDha o of Bhoja by kalidasa. Can you please supply the full sloka?

www.freewebs. com/asrama3

http://www.geocitie s.com/sarojram18

--- On Sun, 3/8/09, Viswanathan K <kvichu2000 > wrote:

Viswanathan K <kvichu2000 >Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, March 8, 2009, 12:14 AM

Indeevaram means blue lotus.Bale thavamukhambhuje katham Indeevara dwayam?O,Girl! How is it that thereare two blue lotuses in your Face?

Upama. Menon. <upamamenon (AT) (DOT) co.in>guruvayur@grou ps.comSaturday, March 7, 2009 12:31:13 AM[Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

Namaskaram,

Please tell me the meaning of Índeevaram'.

Rgds,

Upama.Menon.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Guest guest

Dear Sarojaji,,

Radhe Krishna!

In Valmiki Ramayanam, there are many places where references are made

to Sri Rama, with the expressions "Indeevara-shyamala-komalangam" and

"Ramam Indeevarashyamam" etc. It is my understanding that all

incarnations of Lord Vishnu, especially Sri Rama and Sri Krishna are of

dark blue, resembling the hue of Indeevara or blue lotus or the Kalaya

flowers (Kandu njan Kannane Kayambu varnane Guruvayoor-ambala nadayil"

or the dark rain-bearing clouds and the array of Kalaya

flowers (Tat-te pratyagradhara-dhara-

lalitha-kalayavalee-kelikaram) and Kannan who is Guruvayoorappan has to

have that hue!

But what I am not able to understand is the reference to

"Gandhara-neelotpala" as an adjective to the river of war which was

crossed by the Pandavas, with Lord Krishna as the oarman. The

reference is to the Geetha-dhyana-sloka, "Bheeshma-drona-tada

Jayadradhajala Gandhara-neelotpala " Evidently, Indeevaram

and Neelotpalam should mean the same.

If Gandhara was a blue

lotus in that river of war, does it mean that there was a blot by the

name

of Gandhara-----does "Neela-uipala" mean anything different in this

context?

Regards

KVG.

Upama. Menon. wrote:

Thanks.. Pls tell me how this ïndeevaram' relating to

Guruvayoorappan?

--- On Sun, 8/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram >

wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram >

Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

guruvayur

Sunday, 8 March, 2009, 12:01 AM

Dear Upamaji,

Indeevaram is blue lotus. In soundarya lahari, this

flower is described as one of Devi's 5 pushpabaanas.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM,

Upama. Menon. <upamamenon (AT) (DOT)

co.in> wrote:

Namaskaram,

Rgds,

Upama.Menon.

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy!

Invite them now.

Guest guest

Dear KVG,

I know the dhyanaslokas of Gita and this one is just a metaphor comparing the MB war to a river of perils crossed over by the help of Krishna. For instance Salya is compared to graha, a crocodile while Salya was sympathetic to Pandavas being the father in law of Nakula or Sahadeva , I dont remember which, and he tried to help Pandavas by undermining the power of Karna by his speech full of riducule.. So all the diffeternt things found in the river are compared to the various Kouravas figuratively and I dont think that there is any special significance to the metaphors. This is what appears to me but if any one caould give a better explanation it is welcome.

saroja Ramanujam

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, K.V. Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kv wrote:

K.V. Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna.kvRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:49 PM

Dear Sarojaji,,Radhe Krishna!In Valmiki Ramayanam, there are many places where references are made to Sri Rama, with the expressions "Indeevara-shyamala -komalangam" and "Ramam Indeevarashyamam" etc. It is my understanding that all incarnations of Lord Vishnu, especially Sri Rama and Sri Krishna are of dark blue, resembling the hue of Indeevara or blue lotus or the Kalaya flowers (Kandu njan Kannane Kayambu varnane Guruvayoor-ambala nadayil" or the dark rain-bearing clouds and the array of Kalaya flowers (Tat-te pratyagradhara- dhara- lalitha-kalayavalee -kelikaram) and Kannan who is Guruvayoorappan has to have that hue!But what I am not able to understand is the reference to "Gandhara-neelotpal a" as an adjective to the river of war which was crossed by the Pandavas, with Lord Krishna as the oarman. The reference is to the

Geetha-dhyana- sloka, "Bheeshma-drona- tada Jayadradhajala Gandhara-neelotpala " Evidently, Indeevaram and Neelotpalam should mean the same. If Gandhara was a blue lotus in that river of war, does it mean that there was a blot by the name of Gandhara---- -does "Neela-uipala" mean anything different in this context?RegardsKVG.Upama. Menon. wrote:

Thanks.. Pls tell me how this ïndeevaram' relating to Guruvayoorappan?--- On Sun, 8/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, 8 March, 2009, 12:01 AM

Dear Upamaji,

Indeevaram is blue lotus. In soundarya lahari, this flower is described as one of Devi's 5 pushpabaanas.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Upama. Menon. <upamamenon (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

Namaskaram,

Rgds,

Upama.Menon.

Guest guest

They say that was the first sentence Kalidasa spoke after composing and reciting Shyamala Dandakam and after reaching Bhoja Rajas court asa directed by Parashakthi.kim na siddhayeth vapu shyamalam komalam chandra choodanvitham dhyayam thavakah?ViswanathanSaroja Ramanujam <sarojram18guruvayur Sent: Monday,

March 9, 2009 6:53:29 PMRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

kusume kusumothpatthiH Srooyathe na ca dhrSyathe

Bhoja said : flower growig in a flower is heard ni ot seen

Kaldasa replied:

baale thava mukhaamboje dhrshtam indeevaradhvayam

Oh girl in your lotus like face there are two blue lotuses seen

The concversation took place when the rajanarthaki was dancing in the court and Kalidasa ddressed her thus and completed the samasya put forth by Bhoja.

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, Radhe <shaantih (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Radhe <shaantih (AT) comcast (DOT) net>Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, March 9, 2009, 8:33 AM

Hare Krishna!Did I miss the translation for the words below?Bhoja: Kusume Kusumothpathi Srooyathe na drusyathe!------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -Kalidasa completes: Bale thava mukhambhuje drushtam Indeevaradwayam! !Indeevaram means blue lotus.Bale thavamukhambhuje katham Indeevara dwayam?O,Girl! How is it that there are two blue lotuses in your Face?

Guest guest

After Kalidasa praised Parashakthi by his Shyamala Dandakam,He left Kali temple in Ujjaini,and his newly wedded arrogant wife who insulted him by her question,Asthi kaschit Vagarthavia? on the first night.He reached Bhojas kingdom and court where King Bhoja was singing the first line:Kusume kusumothpathi srooyathe na drushyatheand asked the other poets to compose the second line.No response at all.One had to under stand the meaning,visualise and compose on the spot.Kalidasa a newcomer to the court,till the previous night,a simple woodcutter and an idiot, composed the second line: Bale thava mukhamnbhuje drashtam indeevaradwayam.Meaning as given in Sri soundarya lahari by Anna: In one flower(that is face) two flowers are heard but not seen.

But Kalidasa approached a damsel near the King and said,"O Damsel! Then how is it that twoFlowers areseen (your two eyes resembling two blue lotuses) in your face reaembling a big red lotus.'Kalidas was appointed Asthana Kavi then and there.Kalis Grace!This story was narrated by Sri Kanchi Paramacharya mahaperiyaval in 1960 or so when He was Staying at Sanskrit college Mylapore Chennai for His Chatur masya Vratham.Om Shri Shakthi Bhagavathi Narayanee Namo Namaha!Radhe <shaantihTo:

guruvayur Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:34:21 AMRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

Thank you, Saroji. I admit to not understanding the context very well :-)

but I will carry on! I appreciate you translating the words.

Jai Shri Krishna!

-

Saroja Ramanujam

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Monday, March 09, 2009 9:53 PM

Kaldasa replied:

The concversation took place when the rajanarthaki was dancing in the court and Kalidasa ddressed her thus and completed the samasya put forth by Bhoja.

Radhe <shaantih (AT) comcast (DOT) net>Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, March 9, 2009, 8:33 AM

Hare Krishna!Did I miss the translation for the words below?Bhoja: Kusume Kusumothpathi Srooyathe na drusyathe!------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -Kalidasa completes: Bale thava mukhambhuje drushtam Indeevaradwayam! !Indeevaram means blue lotus.Bale thavamukhambhuje katham Indeevara dwayam?O,Girl! How is it that there are two blue lotuses in your Face?

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.9/1992 - Release 03/09/09 19:20:00

Guest guest

The question put by the princess to whom Kalidasa was married to was"asthi kaschith vaagviSeshaH.'" The pnncess was very learned and refused to marry anyone less learned thatn herself. The othere who were enraged by her arrogance caught a shepherd and brought him to the court and made him answer the questions put by the princess. He was told not to talk but converse only woth signs. The gestures he made to the questions made by the princess who also conversed in signs was cleverly interpreted by the vidvans that made him appear a great oundit and he was married to the princess. On the first nght she asked him the above question. On finding that she has been duped she wanted to teach a lesson to those who cheated her and told him to go tp Klai temle and pray for wisdom. He did so and got the ability to compose poetry better han anyone and came back. The

three kavyas os kalidasa , Kumarasambhava, Meghadhutha and Raghuvamsa each start with he three words of the question put to him by the princess. Kumarasambhava starts with 'ashthi utthrasyaam dhiSi dhevathaamaa ,' Meghadhutha with 'kaSchith kaanthaa virahaguruNaa' and Raghuvamsa with 'vaag arThaavivasamprkthou.'

The sloka which everyone knows , namely , vagarThaaviva samprkthou vaagarTha prathipatthaye jagathaH pitharou vandhe paarvatheeparameSvarou , was explained by paramacharya of Kanchi to mean both parvatahi and paramasvara and also Siva and vishnu by splitting the word paarvathee parameSvarou as paarvathhepa and rmasesvarou, former meanin the Lord of parvathi , 'pa , mening pathi and the latter meaning Vishnu, ramesvara, the Lor dof Rama. The word pitharou in sanskrit means parents as awell as two fathers.This is the beauty of sanskrit language. I have told thi sin my online sanskrit class as the member would remember.

saroja Ramanuhjam

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Viswanathan K <kvichu2000 wrote:

Viswanathan K <kvichu2000Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 12:16 AM

After Kalidasa praised Parashakthi by his Shyamala Dandakam,He left Kali temple in Ujjaini,and his newly wedded arrogant wife who insulted him by her question,Asthi kaschit Vagarthavia? on the first night.He reached Bhojas kingdom and court where King Bhoja was singing the first line:Kusume kusumothpathi srooyathe na drushyatheand asked the other poets to compose the second line.No response at all.One had to under stand the meaning,visualise and compose on the spot.Kalidasa a newcomer to the court,till the previous night,a simple woodcutter and an idiot, composed the second line: Bale thava mukhamnbhuje drashtam indeevaradwayam.Meaning as given in Sri soundarya lahari by Anna: In one flower(that is face) two flowers are heard but not seen. But Kalidasa approached a damsel near the King and said,"O Damsel! Then how is it that twoFlowers areseen (your two eyes resembling two blue lotuses) in

your face reaembling a big red lotus.'Kalidas was appointed Asthana Kavi then and there.Kalis Grace!This story was narrated by Sri Kanchi Paramacharya mahaperiyaval in 1960 or so when He was Staying at Sanskrit college Mylapore Chennai for His Chatur masya Vratham.Om Shri Shakthi Bhagavathi Narayanee Namo Namaha!

Radhe <shaantih (AT) comcast (DOT) net>guruvayur@grou ps.comTuesday, March 10, 2009 7:34:21 AMRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

Thank you, Saroji. I admit to not understanding the context very well :-)

but I will carry on! I appreciate you translating the words.

Jai Shri Krishna!

-

Saroja Ramanujam

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Monday, March 09, 2009 9:53 PM

Kaldasa replied:

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.9/1992 - Release 03/09/09 19:20:00

Guest guest

Yes Sastriji is right, The general idea of the metaphor should be understood and not literally. Yet Gandhara must mean only Sakuni as his brother were killed while they were all in prison.Only Sakuni survived. But Sakuni fought in the war as he was described to have been killed by Nakula, I think. So the neelothpala is only for completion of the picture of the river of blood, raNa nadhee. The central idea is that the kaivarthak , boat man was Kesava who helped Pandavas to cross over the raNa nadhee.Striving to find meanings for the individual comaparisons of the metaphor will be far fetched.

saroja Ramanujam

www.freewebs.com/asrama3

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, S.N. Sastri <sn.sastri wrote:

S.N. Sastri <sn.sastriRe: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 10:06 AM

Dear KVG,

I am giving below what is a plausible explanation. The rananadi, river of battle, is described. Actually none of the similes can be literally applied. Bhishma and Drona are described as thata, bank of the river. Obviously there is no resemblance between these two persons and the bank of the river.Similarly, karna and others who took part in the battle are described as if they constitute parts of the river. Gandhara stands for the persons from Gandhara, namely the relations of Gandhari, the wife of Dhritarashtra who belonged to the place known as Gandhara. Perhaps they, like Sakuni who was one of them, being a brother of Gandhari, did not actually fight.So they are compared to nilotpala which is the most harmless of all those mentioned,namely, crocodile, whirlpool, etc.I feel that we should not try to compare the persons with the objects with which they are associated. What is meant is only that the battle was like a river infested by crocodiles, etc

which was very difficult to cross, but they were able to cross because they had Kesava as their boatman (kaivartaka) .

S.N.sastri

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM, K.V. Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear Sarojaji,Radhe Krishna!My doubt is only in the usage of "Gandhara-neelotpala", when we use the Neelotpalam or indeevaram.as the blue lotus which are comparable to the dark blue hue of the Lord, or even the other way round.. Is there a special significance in the metaphor comparing Gandhara with Neelotpala. I tried to find from different commentaries of Bhagavad-gita, but nobody has given the explanations for the Dhyana-slokas. Hence this query.Could Sastrimama Savitriji or anybody else could help?If we can find a suitable explanation, well and good!Thanks and respectful regardsKVG

Saroja Ramanujam wrote:

Dear KVG,

I know the dhyanaslokas of Gita and this one is just a metaphor comparing the MB war to a river of perils crossed over by the help of Krishna. For instance Salya is compared to graha, a crocodile while Salya was sympathetic to Pandavas being the father in law of Nakula or Sahadeva , I dont remember which, and he tried to help Pandavas by undermining the power of Karna by his speech full of riducule.. So all the diffeternt things found in the river are compared to the various Kouravas figuratively and I dont think that there is any special significance to the metaphors. This is what appears to me but if any one caould give a better explanation it is welcome.

saroja Ramanujam

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, K.V. Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

K.V. Gopalakrishna <gopalakrishna. kv (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, March 9, 2009, 11:49 PM

Dear Sarojaji,,Radhe Krishna!In Valmiki Ramayanam, there are many places where references are made to Sri Rama, with the expressions "Indeevara-shyamala -komalangam" and "Ramam Indeevarashyamam" etc. It is my understanding that all incarnations of Lord Vishnu, especially Sri Rama and Sri Krishna are of dark blue, resembling the hue of Indeevara or blue lotus or the Kalaya flowers (Kandu njan Kannane Kayambu varnane Guruvayoor-ambala nadayil" or the dark rain-bearing clouds and the array of Kalaya flowers (Tat-te pratyagradhara- dhara- lalitha-kalayavalee -kelikaram) and Kannan who is Guruvayoorappan has to have that hue!But what I am not able to understand is the reference to "Gandhara-neelotpal a" as an adjective to the river of war which was crossed by the Pandavas, with Lord Krishna as the oarman. The reference is to the

Geetha-dhyana- sloka, "Bheeshma-drona- tada Jayadradhajala Gandhara-neelotpala " Evidently, Indeevaram and Neelotpalam should mean the same. If Gandhara was a blue lotus in that river of war, does it mean that there was a blot by the name of Gandhara---- -does "Neela-uipala" mean anything different in this context?RegardsKVG.Upama. Menon. wrote:

Thanks.. Pls tell me how this ïndeevaram' relating to Guruvayoorappan?--- On Sun, 8/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaramguruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, 8 March, 2009, 12:01 AM

Dear Upamaji,

Indeevaram is blue lotus. In soundarya lahari, this flower is described as one of Devi's 5 pushpabaanas.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Upama. Menon. <upamamenon (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

Namaskaram,

Rgds,

Upama.Menon.

Guest guest

THANK YOU SAROJA JI, IT IS GREAT.

Though I used to chant this slokam daily never got idea of this line.

Now i am very happy. thanks once again,

With lot of pranams,

vijaya venkatesh,

guruvayur , Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote:

>

> The word indheevarasahodharam indhirayyaha refers to the ekshaNardham the

glance of mahalakshmi which is compared to indheevarodharasahodharam, meaning

the eyes which are like the inner part, udharam, of the indheevara.

Indheevarasahodharam means the eyes are born with , shodhara, the indheevara ,

meaning the likeness.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> www.freewebs.com/asrama3

> http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18

>

>

>

>

> --- On Tue, 3/10/09, vijayav47 <no_reply > wrote:

>

> vijayav47 <no_reply >

> [Guruvayur] Re: A doubt -Indeevaram

> guruvayur

> Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 10:37 PM

in Kanakadhaara Sthothram 7th sloka " s last line comes like this:

> " Indeevarodhara sahodharamindiraaya "

> our respected Sarojaji can help US with the meaning of this slokam

>

> NARAYANA AKHILA GURO, BHAGAVAN NAMASTHE !!!!!!

>

> Vijaya Venkatesh

>

> guruvayur@grou ps.com, " Upama. Menon. " <upamamenon@ ...> wrote:

> >

> > Thanks.. Pls tell me how this ïndeevaram' relating to Guruvayoorappan?

> >

> > --- On Sun, 8/3/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ ...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ ...>

> > Re: [Guruvayur] A doubt -Indeevaram

> > guruvayur@grou ps.com

> > Sunday, 8 March, 2009, 12:01 AM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear Upamaji,

> >

> > Indeevaram is blue lotus. In soundarya lahari, this flower is described as

one of Devi's 5 pushpabaanas.

> >

> >

> > Regards and prayers

> >

> > Savitri

> >

> >

> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Upama. Menon. <upamamenon@ . co.in>

wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Namaskaram,

> >

> >

> > Please tell me the meaning of Índeevaram'.

> >

> >

> > Rgds,

> > Upama.Menon.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger.

/ invite/

> >

>

Guest guest

My doubt is only in the usage of "Gandhara-neelotpala", when we use the Neelotpalam or indeevaram.as the blue lotus which are comparable to the dark blue hue of the Lord, or even the other way round.. Is there a special significance in the metaphor comparing Gandhara with Neelotpala. I tried to find from different commentaries of Bhagavad-gita, but nobody has given the explanations for the Dhyana-slokas. Hence this query.

Hari Om Shri KV Gopalakrishnanji, Pranaams!

It is better to read the word as 'nIlopalA' instead of 'nIlotpalA'. You will find 'nIlopalA' only used in versions of Sw. Shankarananda Saraswatiji, in the BG edition of Theosophical Publishing House. Sw. Chinmayanandaji also prefers this reading.

'nIlopalA' means blue rock. With the meaning of rock in place of flower, the interpretation should flow nicely.

In case 'nIlotpalA' - a blue lotus is taken, then since the description is about the river, it will refer to the place where such flowers can be in the river - in a stagnant place, surrounded by rocks, blocking the natural flow of the river. This interpretation you will find in the 'Home Study Course' commentary of Sw. Dayanandaji.

In Shri Guru Smriti,Br. Pranipata Chaitanya