IndiaDivine.org

Linga Purana .. Prat 9

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

LINGA Purana part…9

Namaste

Let us Continue Reading Puranas.

Puranas are also a Treasure to Sanathana Dharma.

Agni Purana, Brahma Purana, Garuda Purana,

Markandeya Purana, Varaha Purana, Matsya Purana

Vishnu Purana, Linga Purana, Narada Purana,

Padma Purana, Shiva Purana, Skanda Purana,

Vamana Purana

Let us start read one by one .

We Finish reading AGNIPURANA , Brahma Purana ,Garuda

Purana and Markandeya purana

Now we will continue reading Linga Purana .same like

before I will post as part by part.

I Know while reading Manusmriti to read

Other puranas may be difficult , but as you know

at least to taste our great values in

Sananthana Dharma One Human life is not enough,

so I try my level best to spread this values

to my respected friends.

If anyone miss to read or interest to read my

previous postings Chanakya Neetisastra,

Kautiliya Arthasastra , Vidura niti or

Tiruvallurs Tirukkural,and Uddhavagita or

any part of Manusmriti ,Agnipurana,Brahma Purana,

Garuda Purana, Markandeya purana

pls mail to me , I will send again to you.

I humbly request you to forward this values to your family, friends and to your groups. Allow all people from different religion to understand the value of our Sanathana Dharma. At least let them learn and then let them criticize.

I am not a scholar to modify any of this laws or puranas or its languages suitable for modern life .I Humbly request you to read it and think in a modern scientific way. Like in Bhagavadgita Chapter 18 text 63 it is said by lord Krishna Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.

As my Guru told me

One need not worry too much about the source of certain knowledge. Just adopt in our life if they are good. If needed refine the knowledge by way of addition, deletion, modification and correction. Also try to understand the meaning of Different Castes , it is not by birth it is by his performance.

Here we continue the translation of the text of the Linga Purana in Short at the currently available form :

Linga Purana .. part 9 Hiranyakashipu and Narasimha "What happened to Hiranyakshipu, Hiranyaksha’s brother?" asked the sages. Lomaharshana told them the following. Hiranyakashipu had a son named Prahlada. From his birth, Prahlada was devoted to Vishnu. He prayed to Vishnu all the time. But Hiranyakashipu could not stand this. He hated Vishnu. It was, after all, Vishnu who had killed his brother Hiranyaksha. Hiranyakashipu

told Prahlada, "I am ashamed of you. Does your behaviour become a son of the king of the demons? Who is this Vishnu? Is he superior to me? How dare you worship Vishnu? Stop this nonsense at once." But Prahalada would not listen. He continued to pray to Vishnu. Hiranyakashipu could not bear to stand this any longer. He instructed his demon soldiers to kill Prahlada. The demons set upon Prahlada with all sorts of weapons. But by Vishnu’s grace, nothing happened to Prahlada. While this was doing on, Vishnu appeared. He adopted his narasimha incarnation, a being who was half-man and half-lion. (Nara means man and simha means lion.) Narasimha grabbed hold of Hiranyakashipu and slew the demon with his claws. (So far the account is fairly usual, although it misses out on the

interesting details given in texts like the Vishnu Purana. The Linga Purana now introduces a further twist, in an obvious attempt to glorify Shiva.) After killing Hiranyakashipu, Vishnu did not give up his form of a lion. The lion raged everywhere in the universe, threatening to destroy everything. The gods, led by Brahma, fled to Shiva on Mount Mandara. "Please save from the scourge of this lion," they pleaded Shiva assured the gods that he would take care of narasimha. Shiva created a being known as Virabhadra from his own body. Virabhadra was another manifestation of Shiva himself. Virabhadra had three eyes and he held several weapons in his hands. His teeth were as sharp as the crescent moon, his eyebrows were like rainbows and his beard was as dark as the clouds. "What

would you like me to do?" asked Virabhadra. "A being named narasimha is causing havoc," replied Shiva. "It is Vishnu who has adopted this form. The universe must be rid of narasimha. First, try to persuade him to give up this form. If that fails, kill him." Virabhadra went to Vishnu and told him, "Vishnu, you are the preserver of the universe. There are several occasions when you have adopted incarnations so as to save the world. Why have you adopted this narasimha form? Please give it up at once. It is threateneing the existence of the universe." These words merely served to anger Vishnu. "I don’t need any advice from you," he said. "Return to whence you came. I will destroy the universe; who are you to decree otherwise? I am the lord of everything. Brahma, the creator, was born from my body. Therefore, go away and leave me in peace.Haven’t you forgotten Shiva?" asked Virabhadra. "It is Shiva

who is supreme. He is the destroyer. And if you do not come to your senses, he is going to destroy you as well. Be forewarned. I am Virabhadra. Have you forgotten that I severed your head at the time of Daksha’s yajna? Have you forgotten from where you obtained your sudarshana chakra (Vishnu’s weapons, a bladed-discus)?" These words angered Vishnu even more and he attacked Virabhadra. Virabhadra adopted a strange form that was half-deer and half-bird. It had a thousand arms and the crescent moon shone on its head. The wings were huge, sparks issued out of the eyes, and the claws were exceedingly sharp. Virabhadra grasped Vishnu and rose up into the sky. He flung Vishnu down repeatedly on the ground and picked him up again. Vishnu came to his senses and started to pray to Shiva. He called upon Shiva by his one hundred and eight names. But Virabhadra killed Vishnu. He sliced off narasimha’s head and skinned the

pelt. This did not mean that Vishnu died. It was narasimha who died. Vishnu merged into Shiva. Narasimha’s pelt is worn by Shiva as clothing. And you will find narasimha’s skull among the garland of skulls that Shiva wears around his neck. Jalandhara There was a demon named Jalandhara. He obtained tremendous powers through tapasya. Such were these powers that he managed to defeat the gods. (The story of Jalandhara’s orgin is not given in the Linga Purana, but can be found in the Padma Purana. Indra once went on a visit to Mount Kailasa and met Shiva there. Failing to recognize Shiva, Indra hit him on the head with his vajra. A fire issued out of Shiva’s head and threatened to burn

Indra up. Indra pacified Shiva and contrived to avoid destruction. But Shiva flung the fire into the ocean and from his fire a boy was born. Since jala means water and since he emerged from the water, the boy came to be called Jalandhara. Alternatively Brahma discovered and adopted the boy. But the boy tugged so hard at Brahma’s eyes. Brahma therefore named the boy Jalandhara and also granted himt he boon that he could be killed only by Shiva.) To return to the Linga Purana, after having defeated all the other gods, Jalandhara challenged Vishnu to a duel. This duel lasted for sometime, but eventually, Vishnu too, met his match. Jalandhara then told his companions, the other demons. "I seem to have defeated everyone that there is to fight with. The only one who is left is Shiva. Let us go and thrash Shiva, Nandi and the others." The demon army trooped to Shiva’s residence. "What do you want?" asked

Shiva. "Why have all of you come here?We have come to fight with you," replied Jalandhara. Shiva inserted his big toe into the ocean and started to churn the water. From this churning, the terrible weapon known as the sudarshana chakra was created. "I shall certainly fight with you," said Shiva. "But first you must raise this chakra with your big toe. I will fight with you only if you succeed." Jalandhara tried to do this. With a great deal of difficulty, he managed to raise the chakra and place it on his shoulders. But as soon as he did this, the weapon sliced off his head. Jalandhara’s flesh and blood cluttered up the universe. Shiva had all of this sent to Yama, the god of death. Yama constructed a hell (naraka) named maharourava with this flesh and blood. Thus it was that Jalandhara met his end. As for the demon’s companions, they were burnt to ashes by Shiva’s

rage.

Will Be continue on part 10

THURSDAY MESSAGE, 2nd April 2009 (SERIES 151)

Sree Varaha Upanishad. This is an Upanishad written in five chapters. The first three chapters comprised of the description on the Brahmam and the qualities and qualifications of the Brahmajnaani. The description is given as the discussion between the Varaha Avataara and Maharshi Risbhu. The information on controlling the mind, body, breathing, food, detachment from the luxuries of the life are described in the first chapter of the Upanishad. How to practice the meditation on the divine power and how to get the experience on ‘each and everyone of the living beings is the manifestation of the divine power’ is described. In the 4th

chapter the discussion between Maharishi Rubhu and his disciple Nigaadha is given . The importance of the thorough knowledge on the absolute truth is the first part of the explanation, then description goes to different levels of knowledge on the same subject. Further description is given on the Maaya which is the cover which prevents us from getting the real and absolute knowledge about everything.

THIS WEEK MESSAGE: India could survive for the last ten thousand years with all its dharmic values, even though many other countries and civilization got wiped out by the foreign invasion. That achievement was due to the sacrifice of tens of thousands of soldiers, kings and scholars. Not merely by the message of ahimsa

Even though everyone has the same type of hunger, There are different types of food. We could have solved the hunger with only one food. Like that even though there is only one spiritual power, there should be different pathways for realizing that power. So there are many god concept in India all reaching to the absolute power.

A SERIOUS INFORMATION: An accident took place about 60 meters away from a Siva temple, which is adjacent to a small chapel. Next day there was a poster “ Siva Kills and Jesus saves’ None against this. The Christians are using all the negatives and positives for spreading the Christianity through out India. Tens of thousands of Hindus are being converted to Christianity by cheating like this daily, whether you know the seriousness of the consequences or not.

One person has sent an email to me saying that we should not criticize other religion and our duty is only to teach our dharma. I would like to inform him and all our friends that learning , teaching and practicing our dharma are the real dharma. More important is protecting our dharma when torrential attack is taking place against our dharma by way of conversion. Hence it is the bound dharma of every Indian to fight against conversion and bring back the converted people.

YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY ANSWERS ( YOUR QUESTIONS ON CASTE SYSTEMS CONTD). Did the caste discrimination exist during ancient days? Never and there was no incident which describes about caste discrimination in ancient period. ……… How to solve the present problem? If properly handled there will not be any problem…………. What do you mean by proper handing ? Educating people on the negatives and the positives of the caste system……How to educate people? Tell them that Veda vyasa was from fishermen family, Sree Krishna was from Yadava family belong to Yadava kula (other backward community- obc ) Sree Rama was from Kshatriya family, Maharshi Maheedaasa Aitareya was

from potter family ( presently scheduled tribe), Vaalmeeki is a burglar again from the scheduled tribe………. Was Sreekrishna not an avataara? Yes Sree Krishna was black and born in a so called low caste as an avataara………. . Is it not true that these are the examples of thousands of years ago ? yes these are the examples of Bharath during the initial stage of the origin of the caste system which had no problem at all. …….. Is there any example which we can site during the modern period. ? See the examples of Maata Amruthananda mayee ( Amma) and Sree Satya Sai Baba, Swami Vivekananda, Aurobindo Maharshi and so on. Educate properly the common mass on these great scholars of Bhaarath who were not born in Brahmin

family………….what is meant by proper education? Inform them that Mata Amruthananda mayee, Satya Sai Baba, Vivekananda, Sree Narayana Guru and many other belonging to non Brahmin guru parampara have millions of followers belonging to all castes and religions including Brahmins even though they themselves are not born to Brahmin parents………..educate properly that Amma has consecrated dozens of Brahma sthaanam temples in spite of the fact that she belongs to fisher men family and also a woman………. none has ever created a problem or none has criticized the above saints of India …… You have earlier said that the caste problems are not the real problem but the politicians create the problems? Yes I did and I wish to tell that the politicians want always to keep the

caste system and its negatives alive for their benefit whether the society divides or the society goes to dogs, they are more heinous than the Britishers who ruled India for more than 250 years. ………..Do you want to say that all politicians are like this..? Yes each and every politician is like that and if a good man becomes a politician he will also become a vote burglar like this in India and start dividing the scoeity.

WITH PRANAMS IISH COMMUNICATION TEAM

with regards

dilip

Bagavad Gita chapter 6 sloka 5

uddhared âtmanâtmânam

nâtmânam avasâdayet

âtmaiva hy âtmano bandhur

âtmaiva ripur âtmanah