IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- effectiveness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

Famous philosopher J Krishnamurthy once narrated a story during one of his talks. It is an interesting story and I think it is worth sharing.

There was a wood cutter who was very good in the art of cutting wood. He joined a big business where they brought wood from the forest, cut and sold to the local people. He started working and the very first day he could cut ten (just a number) pieces. Next day he cut only six and third day he finished cutting only 5. Fourth day however hard he tried, he could cut only four pieces. The supervisor was watching this decrease in effectiveness of this new hired employee and signalled it to the owner. On the evening of the fourth day, owner called him and gave the wages for the four days he worked and told him not to come next day. Poor fellow did not understand why he lost his job. He told the owner: " Sir, I was working very hard all these four days. I was not even taking breaks so that I could finish as much as possible. I never wasted a minute. "

Owner said: " You may be right in saying that you worked with out break and very hard. Pleas show me your axe. " He looked at the axe and asked him whether he was periodically sharpening the sides.

Employee admitted that  he did not sharpen the axe and he told the owner: " Sir, I do not have the time to sharpen the axe because I was continuously cutting wood and trying to finish as many pieces as possible. "

Owner told him that cutting the wood with a blunt axe was not at all effective. He said to the employee: " Just working hard is not enough. You have to sharpen your instrument and for that you have to think why it was not effective. Then you would have sharpened the axe and it would have improved your effectiveness. "

Arjuna was Danurdhara, the best and the most efficient warrior. But was he effective in the beginning of the war? Who made him think?  He kept his Gaandivam down and gave up everything. Krishna made him think and realize his responsibility and Arjuna became an effective warrior. Arjuna obeyed Krishna with utmost faith and then his efficiency and effectiveness came back. To sharpen their character, to sharpen their devotion, to sharpen all their positive qualities, Krishna gave Pandavaas problems and sorrows. Kunti Devi realized why Krishna gave them sorrows and she actually prayed Krishna to give trials and tribulations enough to remember Him and stay close to Him.

By giving us sorrows, by shattering our dreams, by making us walk through tight ropes tied above burning fire, by pushing us to unknown lands and uncertainities, Bhagavan sharpens our satvagunaas, which cuts the rajogunas  and tamogunaas just like a sickle cuts the weeds. He sharpens the devotees' axes so that they can cut the thick veil of Maaya effectively and attain Him.

Sreekrishnaarpanamasthu

Regards and prayers

savitri 

Guest guest

Dear Savithriji,

good story. Interesting story.

With prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat--- On Sat, 25/4/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- effectivenessSaturday, 25 April, 2009, 4:23 PM

Dear all,

Famous philosopher J Krishnamurthy once narrated a story during one of his talks. It is an interesting story and I think it is worth sharing.

There was a wood cutter who was very good in the art of cutting wood. He joined a big business where they brought wood from the forest, cut and sold to the local people. He started working and the very first day he could cut ten (just a number) pieces. Next day he cut only six and third day he finished cutting only 5. Fourth day however hard he tried, he could cut only four pieces. The supervisor was watching this decrease in effectiveness of this new hired employee and signalled it to the owner. On the evening of the fourth day, owner called him and gave the wages for the four days he worked and told him not to come next day. Poor fellow did not understand why he lost his job. He told the owner: "Sir, I was working very hard all these four days. I was not even taking breaks so that I could finish as much as possible. I never wasted a minute."

Owner said: "You may be right in saying that you worked with out break and very hard. Pleas show me your axe." He looked at the axe and asked him whether he was periodically sharpening the sides.

Employee admitted that he did not sharpen the axe and he told the owner: "Sir, I do not have the time to sharpen the axe because I was continuously cutting wood and trying to finish as many pieces as possible."

Owner told him that cutting the wood with a blunt axe was not at all effective. He said to the employee: "Just working hard is not enough. You have to sharpen your instrument and for that you have to think why it was not effective. Then you would have sharpened the axe and it would have improved your effectiveness."

Arjuna was Danurdhara, the best and the most efficient warrior. But was he effective in the beginning of the war? Who made him think? He kept his Gaandivam down and gave up everything. Krishna made him think and realize his responsibility and Arjuna became an effective warrior. Arjuna obeyed Krishna with utmost faith and then his efficiency and effectiveness came back. To sharpen their character, to sharpen their devotion, to sharpen all their positive qualities, Krishna gave Pandavaas problems and sorrows. Kunti Devi realized why Krishna gave them sorrows and she actually prayed Krishna to give trials and tribulations enough to remember Him and stay close to Him.

By giving us sorrows, by shattering our dreams, by making us walk through tight ropes tied above burning fire, by pushing us to unknown lands and uncertainities, Bhagavan sharpens our satvagunaas, which cuts the rajogunas and tamogunaas just like a sickle cuts the weeds. He sharpens the devotees' axes so that they can cut the thick veil of Maaya effectively and attain Him.

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards and prayers

savitri

Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.* Click here!.

Guest guest

Very nice story ,indeed!Savitri Puram <savitriopuramSaturday, April 25, 2009 3:53:26 AM[Guruvayur] Namasthe- effectiveness

Dear all,

Famous philosopher J Krishnamurthy once narrated a story during one of his talks. It is an interesting story and I think it is worth sharing.

There was a wood cutter who was very good in the art of cutting wood. He joined a big business where they brought wood from the forest, cut and sold to the local people. He started working and the very first day he could cut ten (just a number) pieces. Next day he cut only six and third day he finished cutting only 5. Fourth day however hard he tried, he could cut only four pieces. The supervisor was watching this decrease in effectiveness of this new hired employee and signalled it to the owner. On the evening of the fourth day, owner called him and gave the wages for the four days he worked and told him not to come next day. Poor fellow did not understand why he lost his job. He told the owner: "Sir, I was working very hard all these four days. I was not even taking breaks so that I could finish as much as possible. I never wasted a minute."

Owner said: "You may be right in saying that you worked with out break and very hard. Pleas show me your axe." He looked at the axe and asked him whether he was periodically sharpening the sides.

Employee admitted that he did not sharpen the axe and he told the owner: "Sir, I do not have the time to sharpen the axe because I was continuously cutting wood and trying to finish as many pieces as possible."

Owner told him that cutting the wood with a blunt axe was not at all effective. He said to the employee: "Just working hard is not enough. You have to sharpen your instrument and for that you have to think why it was not effective. Then you would have sharpened the axe and it would have improved your effectiveness."

Arjuna was Danurdhara, the best and the most efficient warrior. But was he effective in the beginning of the war? Who made him think? He kept his Gaandivam down and gave up everything. Krishna made him think and realize his responsibility and Arjuna became an effective warrior. Arjuna obeyed Krishna with utmost faith and then his efficiency and effectiveness came back. To sharpen their character, to sharpen their devotion, to sharpen all their positive qualities, Krishna gave Pandavaas problems and sorrows. Kunti Devi realized why Krishna gave them sorrows and she actually prayed Krishna to give trials and tribulations enough to remember Him and stay close to Him.

By giving us sorrows, by shattering our dreams, by making us walk through tight ropes tied above burning fire, by pushing us to unknown lands and uncertainities, Bhagavan sharpens our satvagunaas, which cuts the rajogunas and tamogunaas just like a sickle cuts the weeds. He sharpens the devotees' axes so that they can cut the thick veil of Maaya effectively and attain Him.

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards and prayers

savitri