IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- stories of Vasishta 5

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

Parashara, the grandson of Vasishtamuni grew up in the ashramam with other disciples and learnt everything from his grandfather. Adrushyanthi was a very good mother and in the loving and peaceful atmosphere of the hermitage he grew and became a great saint..

One day Adrushyanthi told the sad story of his father Sakthi's death at the hands of King Kalmashapada. Even though Parashara was peaceful in nature, he was very disturbed to hear how his father was devoured by the demon-turned king and how his grandfather changed him back to king. He wanted to take revenge on King Kalamashapada by killing him. He was about to leave the ashramam and Vasishta advised how foolish was his idea. Vasishta said:  " Grandson, a saint like you should know the value of patience and forgiveness. None of your actions now will bring back your father. Your father also was equally at fault. Taking revenge with the power of your tapas will exhaust all your strength. It should be used only for good causes. Your father exhausted his power of tapas to curse the King and the demon-turned king easily killed him. So he brought his fate upon himself by the inappropriate use of his power of penance. " . Parashara listened to his grandfather and dropped the idea of taking revenge.

Vasishta's fame as the greatest sage spread all over the world. Viswamithra did more penance to increase his strength and when Brahmadevan appeared, he asked for Brahmarshipadam.

Viswamitra told Brahmadevan: " Lord, I want Vasishta to accept me as Brahmarshi. "

Brahmadevan told him: " You are a great sage and you have lot of power. But because of your rajogunam and ego, you are still not equal to Vasishta. Vasishta will not see you as a Brahmarshi. "

Angry Viswamitra went to Vaishta's ashramam and he heard the conversation between Vasishta and Arundhathi. Arundhathi was asking Vasishta why he would not accept Viswamitra as Brahmarshi.

Vasishta said: Viswamitra is a great sage. But " I " should die and then only he can become a brahmarshi " .

Vismitra heard this and thought that he would not be able to become a Brahmarshi until Vasishta is dead and he was ready to kill him.

Then he heard Vasistha further explaining to Arundhathi: " Devi, what I mean is the " aham bhavam " or " I " in him has to die, then only he will have the brahmajnanam or knowledge of brahman. It is still there. That is why he has this inferiority complex. He should realize " Aham brahmasmi " .  As long as his ego stays, I will not accept him as Brahmarshi. "

Viswamitra realized his mistake when he heard Vasishta's words and he went and prostrated at the feet of him. Vasishta called him Brahmarhsi and embraced him!

Such was the greatness of Kulapathi Vasishta.

Regards and prayers

Savitri