IndiaDivine.org

Vaijayanthy Flowers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Bhaktas,

Namaskarams!

I heard about the "Vaijayanthy Garland" worn by Sri Krishna / Vishnu.

In the Mahabharata, during the war, it is mentioned that (in the Drona Parva) when King Bhagadatta (of Duryadana group) aimed the "Vaishnava Astra" (nobody, not even Arjuna, could stop this Vaishnava Astra) towards Arjuna, Sri Krishna screened Arjuna with his own body and took the weapon on his own chest. The weapon transforming into a wrath of "Vaijayanthy flowers" ended up by adoring Sri Krishna's neck.

Shall our learned bhaktas let me know - What is this "Vaijayanthy" garland ? What is this flower?

Dr. HariOm Santhi Om Santhi Om Santhi

Guest guest

While I was searching in the net for "Vaijayanthi" I got these results, whcih is confusing. Can someone say what is true.

Vaijayanti: A special garland worn by the Supreme Lord. It is made from flowers of at least five different colors, and it hangs down at least to His knees.

Vaijayanti: The magic necklace of Vishnu, imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called "the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments" - the word "powers" being, perhaps, more correct than "rudiments ".

Vaijayanti (Sanskrit) A flag, banner; the masculine noun vaijayanta refers specifically to the emblem of Indra. In the Puranas, used as the name of a magical necklace of Vishnu, "imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called 'the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments' -- the word 'powers' being, perhaps, more correct than 'rudiments' " (TG 358)

Dr. Hari

Om Santhi Om Santhi Om Santhi

--- On Mon, 11/5/09, hari_082005 <hari_082005 wrote:

hari_082005 <hari_082005[Guruvayur] Vaijayanthy Flowersguruvayur Date: Monday, 11 May, 2009, 10:27 AM

Dear Bhaktas,

Namaskarams!

I heard about the "Vaijayanthy Garland" worn by Sri Krishna / Vishnu.

In the Mahabharata, during the war, it is mentioned that (in the Drona Parva) when King Bhagadatta (of Duryadana group) aimed the "Vaishnava Astra" (nobody, not even Arjuna, could stop this Vaishnava Astra) towards Arjuna, Sri Krishna screened Arjuna with his own body and took the weapon on his own chest. The weapon transforming into a wrath of "Vaijayanthy flowers" ended up by adoring Sri Krishna's neck.

Shall our learned bhaktas let me know - What is this "Vaijayanthy" garland ? What is this flower?

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with India Travel Click here!

Guest guest

Dear all,

Radhe Krishna!

The Vaijayanti Mala is the garland with flowers of all seasons

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Hari Ramakrishnan <hari_082005 wrote:

While I was searching in the net for " Vaijayanthi " I got these results, whcih is confusing. Can someone say what is true.

Vaijayanti: A special garland worn by the Supreme Lord. It is made from flowers of at least five different colors, and it hangs down at least to His knees.

Vaijayanti: The magic necklace of Vishnu, imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called " the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments " -  the word " powers " being, perhaps, more correct than " rudiments " .

Vaijayanti (Sanskrit) A flag, banner; the masculine noun vaijayanta refers specifically to the emblem of Indra. In the Puranas, used as the name of a magical necklace of Vishnu, " imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called 'the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments' -- the word 'powers' being, perhaps, more correct than 'rudiments' " (TG 358)

Dr. Hari

hari_082005 <hari_082005[Guruvayur] Vaijayanthy Flowers

guruvayur Date: Monday, 11 May, 2009, 10:27 AM

Dear Bhaktas,

Namaskarams!

I heard about the " Vaijayanthy Garland " worn by Sri Krishna / Vishnu.

In the Mahabharata, during the war, it is mentioned that (in the Drona Parva) when King Bhagadatta (of Duryadana group) aimed the " Vaishnava Astra " (nobody, not even Arjuna, could stop this Vaishnava Astra) towards Arjuna, Sri Krishna screened Arjuna with his own body and took the weapon on his own chest. The weapon transforming into a wrath of " Vaijayanthy flowers " ended up by adoring Sri Krishna's neck.

Shall our learned bhaktas let me know - What is this " Vaijayanthy " garland ? What is this flower?

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with India Travel Click here!

Guest guest

Dear all,

Radhe Krishna!

The Vaijayanti Mala is the garland with flowers of all seasons with 5 colours, which Mahavishnu wears, extending from the neck, down to His knees.   It is also called Vanamala.  

" AAJANU-LAMBINEE MAALA SARVA-RTHU-KUSUMOJJWALA

MADDHYE STTHOOLA-KADAMBADDYA VANAMAALA ITHI KEERTHITHA. "

Also,

" TULASEE-KUNDA-MANDAARA-PAARIJAATHA-PRASOONAKEIH

PANCHABHIR-GRADHITHA MAALA VANAMAALETHI KATTHYATHE. "

It is made of Tulasi leaves, Kunda (a kind of white and delicate Jasmine), Mandaara (flowers of the coral tree) and Paarijatha flowers and green buds.     It is a symbolic representation of the five subtle elements (the Tanmatras) and the five gross elements.(the pancha-bhutas.)

Regards

KVG.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Hari Ramakrishnan <hari_082005 wrote:

While I was searching in the net for " Vaijayanthi " I got these results, whcih is confusing. Can someone say what is true.

Vaijayanti: The magic necklace of Vishnu, imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called " the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments " -  the word " powers " being, perhaps, more correct than " rudiments " .

Vaijayanti (Sanskrit) A flag, banner; the masculine noun vaijayanta refers specifically to the emblem of Indra. In the Puranas, used as the name of a magical necklace of Vishnu, " imitated by certain Initiates among the temple Brahmans. It is made of five precious stones, each symbolizing one of the five elements of our Round; namely, the pearl, ruby, emerald, sapphire and diamond, or water, fire, earth, air and ether, called 'the aggregate of the five elemental rudiments' -- the word 'powers' being, perhaps, more correct than 'rudiments' " (TG 358)

Dr. Hari

hari_082005 <hari_082005[Guruvayur] Vaijayanthy Flowers

guruvayur Date: Monday, 11 May, 2009, 10:27 AM

Dear Bhaktas,

Namaskarams!

I heard about the " Vaijayanthy Garland " worn by Sri Krishna / Vishnu.

In the Mahabharata, during the war, it is mentioned that (in the Drona Parva) when King Bhagadatta (of Duryadana group) aimed the " Vaishnava Astra " (nobody, not even Arjuna, could stop this Vaishnava Astra) towards Arjuna, Sri Krishna screened Arjuna with his own body and took the weapon on his own chest. The weapon transforming into a wrath of " Vaijayanthy flowers " ended up by adoring Sri Krishna's neck.

Shall our learned bhaktas let me know - What is this " Vaijayanthy " garland ? What is this flower?