IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Maamdhaatha

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear all,

When I thought of writing about Bhagavan's decision to build Dwaraka far away from Madhura, my mind just went through a trigger process like Dominoes. If I have to write about Dwaraka, I have to first talk about Jarasandha, Kaalayavana and Muchukunda. Then It dawned on me that it will be nice to talk about Muchukunda's father King Maandhaatha  first. So I will start with  King Mamdhaatha and slowly come to Dwaraka. Domino effect of the stories in our scriptures is amazing. Mahabharatha tops in it's kathaas and upakathaas.

There is a reason behind all Puranapurusha's  good or bad actions. Something that happened in the same janma or previous janmaas explain those actions. (for example, curses and boons and other prarabdha karmaas) Some of them knew about it  and some did not know about it. So it is reasonable to conclude that all our actions also are dependent on our previous karmaas. The only difference is that none of us know anything about past karmaas and we have often a tendency to question or blame God (or others) when something undesirable happens or when something goes wrong. When something desirable happens, we take it for granted. (no questioning and often we think that our timely and efficient actions brought our good fortune!). How pathetic is our ignorance!

There was a King called Yuvanaswa in Ishkvaku dynasty. He had no children and this made him very sad. He went and sought the advice of Mahamunis. Munis made the king perform the yaga called Indradaivatha yaagam.  

One day during the yaagam, Maharshi had kept some divine theertham in a vessel to be given to the queen the next day. At night, Yuvanaswa woke up thirsty and drank the theertha sages had saved for the queen. When they knew this in the morning, they were very upset and told the king that it was meant for the queen. They  told the king  that he would become pregnant and they were unable to undo the mistake he did. Some how they finished the yaagam and went back to their hermitage.

Yuvanaswa became pregnant and on time delivered a boy. He was very beautiful and  started crying for milk. Indra came to see the baby and he said he would feed him and gave his index finger smeared with Amrutham for the baby to suck saying : " maam dhaatha " . So this boy  came to be known as Maamdhaatha.

When Yuvanaswa died, Maamdhaatha became emperor. King Maamdhaatha married Indumathi and got three sons and fifty girls. Sons were Purukuthsa, Ambarisha and Muchukunda and all the fifty sisters were married to Sage Soubhari.  

Regards and prayers

Savitri

P.S. For those people who have heard about Thirumaamdhaamkunnu temple will be interested to know that this king Maamdhaatha became raajarshi with tapas and continued his severe penance to please Lord Shiva and  got the Sivalingam as a gift from Lord Shiva.  He brought it with him to the south. It  was previously worshipped by Parvathi. Parvathi sent Kali to retrieve it and it was divided into two parts in the fight between Kali and Maamdhaatha. Later Parvathi dissolved into the Jyothirlinga and requested Maamdhaatha to install Kali near the Shivalingam and instructed him to do all poojaas and festivals in Kali's name. This Kali is Thirumaamdhammkunnilamma.

Yuvanasva married one hundred wives, but he had no sons, and therefore he entered the forest. In the forest, the sages performed a sacrifice known as Indra-yajna on his behalf. Once, however, the King became so thirsty in the forest that he drank the water kept for performing yajna. Consequently, after some time, a son came forth from the right side of his abdomen. The son, who was very beautiful, was crying to drink breast milk, and Indra gave the child his index finger to suck. Thus the son became known as Mandhata. In due course of time, Yuvanasva achieved perfection by performing austerities.

Thereafter, Mandhata became the emperor and ruled the earth, which consists of seven islands. Thieves and rogues were very much afraid of this powerful king, and therefore the king was known as Trasaddasyu, meaning " one who is very fearful to rogues and thieves. " Mandhata begot sons in the womb of his wife, Bindumati. These sons were Purukutsa, Ambarisha and Mucukunda. These three sons had fifty sisters, all of whom became wives of the great sage known as Saubhari

Guest guest

Wow!I am not sure if that is the expression** to use when you get a spiritual uplift for the day by reading Savitry Amma. Even while translating the story of Mamdhatha for the Bhagavatham 'Nityaparayanam', I didnt/couldn't connect 'thirumandham kunnilamma' with 'Mamdhatha". Hari OM! special namaskaram! Hantha bhagyam janaanaam..Sukumar"vaakku muTTiya nEramennil suswaroopam kaNNanaay" is what I wrote in a poem--- On Thu, 5/14/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- MaamdhaathaReceived: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 10:59 AM

Dear all,

When I thought of writing about Bhagavan's decision to build Dwaraka far away from Madhura, my mind just went through a trigger process like Dominoes. If I have to write about Dwaraka, I have to first talk about Jarasandha, Kaalayavana and Muchukunda. Then It dawned on me that it will be nice to talk about Muchukunda's father King Maandhaatha  first. So I will start with  King Mamdhaatha and slowly come to Dwaraka. Domino effect of the stories in our scriptures is amazing. Mahabharatha tops in it's kathaas and upakathaas.

There is a reason behind all Puranapurusha's  good or bad actions. Something that happened in the same janma or previous janmaas explain those actions. (for example, curses and boons and other prarabdha karmaas) Some of them knew about it  and some did not know about it. So it is reasonable to conclude that all our actions also are dependent on our previous karmaas. The only difference is that none of us know anything about past karmaas and we have often a tendency to question or blame God (or others) when something undesirable happens or when something goes wrong. When something desirable happens, we take it for granted. (no questioning and often we think that our timely and efficient actions brought our good fortune!). How pathetic is our ignorance!

There was a King called Yuvanaswa in Ishkvaku dynasty. He had no children and this made him very sad. He went and sought the advice of Mahamunis. Munis made the king perform the yaga called Indradaivatha yaagam.  

One day during the yaagam, Maharshi had kept some divine theertham in a vessel to be given to the queen the next day. At night, Yuvanaswa woke up thirsty and drank the theertha sages had saved for the queen. When they knew this in the morning, they were very upset and told the king that it was meant for the queen. They  told  the king  that he would become pregnant and they were unable to undo the mistake he did. Some how they finished the yaagam and went back to their hermitage.

Yuvanaswa became pregnant and on time delivered a boy. He was very beautiful and  started crying for milk. Indra came to see the baby and he said he would feed him and gave his index finger smeared with Amrutham for the baby to suck saying :"maam dhaatha". So this boy  came to be known as Maamdhaatha.

When Yuvanaswa died, Maamdhaatha became emperor. King Maamdhaatha married Indumathi and got three sons and fifty girls. Sons were Purukuthsa, Ambarisha and Muchukunda and all the fifty sisters were married to Sage Soubhari.  

Regards and prayers

Savitri

P.S. For those people who have heard about Thirumaamdhaamkunnu temple will be interested to know that this king Maamdhaatha became raajarshi with tapas and continued his severe penance to please Lord Shiva and  got the Sivalingam as a gift from Lord Shiva.  He brought it with him to the south. It  was previously worshipped by Parvathi. Parvathi sent Kali to retrieve it and it was divided into two parts in the fight between Kali and Maamdhaatha. Later Parvathi dissolved into the Jyothirlinga and requested Maamdhaatha to install Kali near the Shivalingam and instructed him to do all poojaas and festivals in Kali's name. This Kali is Thirumaamdhammkunni lamma.

Yuvanasva married one hundred wives, but he had no sons, and therefore he entered the forest. In the forest, the sages performed a sacrifice known as Indra-yajna on his behalf. Once, however, the King became so thirsty in the forest that he drank the water kept for performing yajna. Consequently, after some time, a son came forth from the right side of his abdomen. The son, who was very beautiful, was crying to drink breast milk, and Indra gave the child his index finger to suck. Thus the son became known as Mandhata. In due course of time, Yuvanasva achieved perfection by performing austerities.

Thereafter, Mandhata became the emperor and ruled the earth, which consists of seven islands. Thieves and rogues were very much afraid of this powerful king, and therefore the king was known as Trasaddasyu, meaning "one who is very fearful to rogues and thieves." Mandhata begot sons in the womb of his wife, Bindumati. These sons were Purukutsa, Ambarisha and Mucukunda. These three sons had fifty sisters, all of whom became wives of the great sage known as Saubhari

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Answers.