Using our Malayalam and our Deva Bhaasha, Samskritham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Mr Jayan and others,

A few weeks back as a new member you wrote about your

ability to use English language as very poor. And another member advised you to

stop using Malayalam and use English. I wanted to write on the subject but did

not get time to do it until now. Sorry for the delayed response.

I am writing based on my life experience and I do use both

the languages equally and when I go to Keralam on vacation people very often

tell me that from my use of Malayalam language they can never think that I am a

person living out side of Keralam for the last 40 years and most of it in a

foreign country, where English is the official and day-to-day language. I

believe this is because I used both languages always.

Your (Mr Jayan’s) statement that your English is not good is

not correct. Your English may not be great or good on literary sense. But you

conveyed the message and you did it well. I also support the advice you got,

but only partially. You should read English; that is good English. But never, ever

stop reading and communicating in Malayalam. Malayalam is our Mother tongue and

one of the best languages in the world. Ignoring our Mother tongue is just like

ignoring our own Mother, the Mother for whom we all have a special place on our

life. Just as we should never neglect our Mother, never neglect our Mother

Tongue.

The best way to keep our culture in tact is to keep our

Mother Tongue in tact. Even though the present day Malayalam is a corrupted

version of our Malayalam; completely abandoning it will only lead us deep into

a cultural ignorance.

Present day Malayalam is far from the Malayalam we learned

in the fifties when we were in school. This happened due to the un-scientific

use of Malayalam words and also the un-scientific adoption of words and usages

of words from other languages. The main reason for this is the English medium

schools. Learning any (other) language is a good thing. In fact the more

languages you know it will be better for you. But don’t make it at the

detriment of our Mother tongue, the great language, Malayalam, or at the

expense of our Devabhaasha, Samskritham.

I fully agree that the graduates who come out of most of the

schools, including English medium schools in Keralam are at a disadvantage to

communicate in English. But I don’t think it is because of our Malayalam. It is

part of the life. Look at the students coming out of any school in any country.

Even in USA,

a country a lot of people think is the most advanced. Only few high school

graduates can handle a second language. So we don’t have to be much worried

about not having ability to communicate in English when you are out of school.

We can master it, as a lot of our people did and they can be seen all over the

world holding high offices. Most of them at least from my generation were

educated in Malayalam.

I also agree that the Malayalam language you hear on TV and

read in most of the News papers and periodicals are very bad. This is also

correct in case of English, not only in Keralam or Bharatham, but also in English

speaking countries. So read the classical writings in English. Same way read

Malayalam also. Read good English and good Malayalam.

Readers Digest is a good publication as far as the language

is concerned. But remember that (as in the case of any publication/media owned

by westerners), it is used as a tool for spreading their culture and religion

and divert the readers attention to their religion and culture. Almost every

sentence in them and every program on their visual media is meant to influence

the readers for that purpose. Every thing they publish and exhibit in the

so-called third world countries are meant to spread their ideology, religion

and culture into the reader’s minds. So be careful about it when you read them

and when you watch the TV shows. Most of the Indian TV and other media are

owned by foreigners now and the influence of foreign culture and religion

through them are very high.

The present day TV language is hardly Malayalam. If you

watch TV, and like to hear some good Malayalam, please watch the program

Bharath Dershanam on Amrita TV by Prof Viswambharan. He talks good Malayalam.

Also you can hear some good Malayalam in Udayamritham and Jeevdhaara programs.

They are also on Amrita TV.. Try not to watch any advertisement on TV. Most of them

are cultural disgrace. Most of the announcers and news readers do not speak

good Malayalam. The reason is very simple; most of them did not learn

Malayalam. They probably went to the English medium schools and are unable to

pronounce any Malayalam word. They may be even using English letters to write

Malayalam.

They, due to the culture of the English medium school are

not that proud of Malayalam either. In fact to culturally ruin us only the

British introduced English education into our Bharatham, to make every

Bhaarateeyan to be ashamed about our language, culture and ancestry. I am sure

they succeeded to a great extent. Our Devabhaasha Samskritham almost died. Our

Malayalam is dying. So please don’t avoid Malayalam. Learn it, read it, write

it and talk in it. Same way, let us learn our Devabhaasha, Samskritham; read

it, write it and talk in it, communicate in it. Our ancestry is very valuable.

It can be fully taught and fully understood only in our Mother tongue and our

Devabhaasha. So let us not neglect it. Let us learn both.

I am in no way advocating a posture against English. But we

should never circumvent our Mother tongue. Never avoid reading writing or

talking good Malayalam. Some people think and believe that Talking, Reading and Writing

Malayalam can be a deterrent to learning another language. In fact just the

reverse is the truth. If you learn one language the proper way, it will help

you to learn other languages properly. So my advice is not to Avoid Malayalam. Use both languages the same way. Read, write

and talk in both. That will help you.

Thanks and sorry for the intrusion with a long message. This

refers to message 15039.

Sincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraumnamahh Shivaaya The vow not to kill is great indeed, and greater still isnon-eating of the flesh; there would be no butcher, if there is non to eat; ineating thus abides the cruder ill, as she/he is the reason for the killing.

Guest guest

Dear Panickerji,

Very well said. I agree 100% with you. Gems from Vallatthol:

മറàµà´±àµà´³àµà´³ ഭാഷകളàµâ€ കേവലം ധാതàµà´°à´¿à´®à´¾à´°àµâ€ മരàµâ€à´¤àµà´¯à´¨àµ പെറàµà´±à´®àµà´® തനàµâ€ ഭാഷ താനàµâ€ മാതാവിനàµâ€ വാതàµà´¸à´²àµà´¯ à´¦àµà´—àµà´¦àµà´§à´‚ പകരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨à´¾à´²àµ†à´ªàµˆà´¤à´™àµà´™à´³àµâ€ പൂരàµâ€à´£ വളരàµâ€à´šàµà´š നേടൂ à´…à´®àµà´®à´¤à´¾à´¨àµâ€ തനàµà´¨àµ† പകരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨àµ തരàµà´‚പോഴെ നമàµà´®à´³àµâ€à´•àµà´•àµ അമൃതàµà´‚ അമൃതായàµâ€Œ തോനàµà´¨àµ‚

à´­à´•àµà´¤àµà´¯à´¾ à´¸àµà´µà´­à´¾à´·à´¤à´¨àµâ€ കാലàµâ€à´•àµà´•à´²àµâ€ à´•àµà´¨à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´•à´¿à´²àµâ€ à´…à´¤àµà´¤à´² à´Žà´™àµà´™à´¨àµ† പോങàµà´™à´¿à´¨à´¿à´²àµà´²àµà´•àµà´‚?

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar wrote:

A few weeks back as a new member you wrote about your ability to use English language as very poor. And another member advised you to stop using Malayalam and use English. I wanted to write on the subject but did not get time to do it until now. Sorry for the delayed response.

I am writing based on my life experience and I do use both the languages equally and when I go to Keralam on vacation people very often tell me that from my use of Malayalam language they can never think that I am a person living out side of Keralam for the last 40 years and most of it in a foreign country, where English is the official and day-to-day language. I believe this is because I used both languages always.

Your (Mr Jayan’s) statement that your English is not good is not correct. Your English may not be great or good on literary sense. But you conveyed the message and you did it well. I also support the advice you got, but only partially. You should read English; that is good English. But never, ever stop reading and communicating in Malayalam. Malayalam is our Mother tongue and one of the best languages in the world. Ignoring our Mother tongue is just like ignoring our own Mother, the Mother for whom we all have a special place on our life. Just as we should never neglect our Mother, never neglect our Mother Tongue.

The best way to keep our culture in tact is to keep our Mother Tongue in tact. Even though the present day Malayalam is a corrupted version of our Malayalam; completely abandoning it will only lead us deep into a cultural ignorance.

Present day Malayalam is far from the Malayalam we learned in the fifties when we were in school. This happened due to the un-scientific use of Malayalam words and also the un-scientific adoption of words and usages of words from other languages. The main reason for this is the English medium schools. Learning any (other) language is a good thing. In fact the more languages you know it will be better for you. But don’t make it at the detriment of our Mother tongue, the great language, Malayalam, or at the expense of our Devabhaasha, Samskritham.

I fully agree that the graduates who come out of most of the schools, including English medium schools in Keralam are at a disadvantage to communicate in English. But I don’t think it is because of our Malayalam. It is part of the life. Look at the students coming out of any school in any country. Even in USA, a country a lot of people think is the most advanced. Only few high school graduates can handle a second language. So we don’t have to be much worried about not having ability to communicate in English when you are out of school. We can master it, as a lot of our people did and they can be seen all over the world holding high offices. Most of them at least from my generation were educated in Malayalam.

I also agree that the Malayalam language you hear on TV and read in most of the News papers and periodicals are very bad. This is also correct in case of English, not only in Keralam or Bharatham, but also in English speaking countries. So read the classical writings in English. Same way read Malayalam also. Read good English and good Malayalam.

Readers Digest is a good publication as far as the language is concerned. But remember that (as in the case of any publication/media owned by westerners), it is used as a tool for spreading their culture and religion and divert the readers attention to their religion and culture. Almost every sentence in them and every program on their visual media is meant to influence the readers for that purpose. Every thing they publish and exhibit in the so-called third world countries are meant to spread their ideology, religion and culture into the reader’s minds. So be careful about it when you read them and when you watch the TV shows. Most of the Indian TV and other media are owned by foreigners now and the influence of foreign culture and religion through them are very high.

The present day TV language is hardly Malayalam. If you watch TV, and like to hear some good Malayalam, please watch the program Bharath Dershanam on Amrita TV by Prof Viswambharan. He talks good Malayalam. Also you can hear some good Malayalam in Udayamritham and Jeevdhaara programs. They are also on Amrita TV.. Try not to watch any advertisement on TV. Most of them are cultural disgrace. Most of the announcers and news readers do not speak good Malayalam. The reason is very simple; most of them did not learn Malayalam. They probably went to the English medium schools and are unable to pronounce any Malayalam word. They may be even using English letters to write Malayalam.

They, due to the culture of the English medium school are not that proud of Malayalam either. In fact to culturally ruin us only the British introduced English education into our Bharatham, to make every Bhaarateeyan to be ashamed about our language, culture and ancestry. I am sure they succeeded to a great extent. Our Devabhaasha Samskritham almost died. Our Malayalam is dying. So please don’t avoid Malayalam. Learn it, read it, write it and talk in it. Same way, let us learn our Devabhaasha, Samskritham; read it, write it and talk in it, communicate in it. Our ancestry is very valuable. It can be fully taught and fully understood only in our Mother tongue and our Devabhaasha. So let us not neglect it. Let us learn both.

I am in no way advocating a posture against English. But we should never circumvent our Mother tongue. Never avoid reading writing or talking good Malayalam. Some people think and believe that Talking, Reading and Writing Malayalam can be a deterrent to learning another language. In fact just the reverse is the truth. If you learn one language the proper way, it will help you to learn other languages properly. So my advice is not to Avoid Malayalam.  Use both languages the same way. Read, write and talk in both. That will help you.

Thanks and sorry for the intrusion with a long message. This refers to message 15039.

Sincerely,

Udayabhanu Panickaraumnamahh Shivaaya

The vow not to kill is great indeed, and greater still isnon-eating of the flesh; there would be no butcher, if there is non to eat; ineating thus abides the cruder ill, as she/he is the reason for the killing.

Guest guest

Pranamam Panikkerji,

Thank you so much for your detailed email.

I am also agreeing with you. We have to protect our Mathrubhasha also. Same time we should not forget the importance of Sanskrit because Sanskrit is the mother of all languages. Now a days in our common usage we are simply using English words with our Malayalam language. Instead of using this English words, if we are using sanskrit words with our malayalam that will be an asset to our bhasha. Otherwise next generation our bhasha will become "Englishalam" that means English + Malayalam.

If we are protecting Sanskrit that benifit will get to our Mathrubhasha also. We should try to learn all languages, same time we should not forget our Mathrubhasha and our Deva Bhasha.

with prayers

Jayasankar Vattekkat--- On Sun, 24/5/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Using our Malayalam and our Deva Bhaasha, Samskrithamguruvayur Date: Sunday, 24 May, 2009, 9:05 PM

Dear Panickerji,

Very well said. I agree 100% with you. Gems from Vallatthol:

മറàµà´±àµà´³àµà´³ ഭാഷകളàµâ€ കേവലം ധാതàµà´°à´¿à´®à´¾à´°àµâ€ മരàµâ€à´¤àµà´¯à´¨àµ പെറàµà´±à´®àµà´® തനàµâ€ ഭാഷ താനàµâ€ മാതാവിനàµâ€ വാതàµà´¸à´²àµà´¯ à´¦àµà´—àµà´¦àµà´§à´‚ പകരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨à´¾à´²àµ†à´ªàµˆà´¤à´™àµà´™à´³àµâ€ പൂരàµâ€à´£ വളരàµâ€à´šàµà´š നേടൂ à´…à´®àµà´®à´¤à´¾à´¨àµâ€ തനàµà´¨àµ† പകരàµâ€à´¨àµà´¨àµ തരàµà´‚പോഴെ നമàµà´®à´³àµâ€à´•àµà´•àµ അമൃതàµà´‚ അമൃതായàµâ€Œ തോനàµà´¨àµ‚ à´­à´•àµà´¤àµà´¯à´¾ à´¸àµà´µà´­à´¾à´·à´¤à´¨àµâ€ കാലàµâ€à´•àµà´•à´²àµâ€ à´•àµà´¨à´¿à´¯à´¾à´¯àµà´•à´¿à´²àµâ€ à´…à´¤àµà´¤à´² à´Žà´™àµà´™à´¨àµ† പോങàµà´™à´¿à´¨à´¿à´²àµà´²àµà´•àµà´‚?

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Udayabhanu Panickar <udhayabhanupanickar @> wrote:

A few weeks back as a new member you wrote about your ability to use English language as very poor. And another member advised you to stop using Malayalam and use English. I wanted to write on the subject but did not get time to do it until now. Sorry for the delayed response.

I am writing based on my life experience and I do use both the languages equally and when I go to Keralam on vacation people very often tell me that from my use of Malayalam language they can never think that I am a person living out side of Keralam for the last 40 years and most of it in a foreign country, where English is the official and day-to-day language. I believe this is because I used both languages always.

Your (Mr Jayan’s) statement that your English is not good is not correct. Your English may not be great or good on literary sense. But you conveyed the message and you did it well. I also support the advice you got, but only partially. You should read English; that is good English. But never, ever stop reading and communicating in Malayalam. Malayalam is our Mother tongue and one of the best languages in the world. Ignoring our Mother tongue is just like ignoring our own Mother, the Mother for whom we all have a special place on our life. Just as we should never neglect our Mother, never neglect our Mother Tongue.

The best way to keep our culture in tact is to keep our Mother Tongue in tact. Even though the present day Malayalam is a corrupted version of our Malayalam; completely abandoning it will only lead us deep into a cultural ignorance.

Present day Malayalam is far from the Malayalam we learned in the fifties when we were in school. This happened due to the un-scientific use of Malayalam words and also the un-scientific adoption of words and usages of words from other languages. The main reason for this is the English medium schools. Learning any (other) language is a good thing. In fact the more languages you know it will be better for you. But don’t make it at the detriment of our Mother tongue, the great language, Malayalam, or at the expense of our Devabhaasha, Samskritham.

I fully agree that the graduates who come out of most of the schools, including English medium schools in Keralam are at a disadvantage to communicate in English. But I don’t think it is because of our Malayalam. It is part of the life. Look at the students coming out of any school in any country. Even in USA, a country a lot of people think is the most advanced. Only few high school graduates can handle a second language. So we don’t have to be much worried about not having ability to communicate in English when you are out of school. We can master it, as a lot of our people did and they can be seen all over the world holding high offices. Most of them at least from my generation were educated in Malayalam.

I also agree that the Malayalam language you hear on TV and read in most of the News papers and periodicals are very bad. This is also correct in case of English, not only in Keralam or Bharatham, but also in English speaking countries. So read the classical writings in English. Same way read Malayalam also. Read good English and good Malayalam.

Readers Digest is a good publication as far as the language is concerned. But remember that (as in the case of any publication/ media owned by westerners), it is used as a tool for spreading their culture and religion and divert the readers attention to their religion and culture. Almost every sentence in them and every program on their visual media is meant to influence the readers for that purpose. Every thing they publish and exhibit in the so-called third world countries are meant to spread their ideology, religion and culture into the reader’s minds. So be careful about it when you read them and when you watch the TV shows. Most of the Indian TV and other media are owned by foreigners now and the influence of foreign culture and religion through them are very high.

The present day TV language is hardly Malayalam. If you watch TV, and like to hear some good Malayalam, please watch the program Bharath Dershanam on Amrita TV by Prof Viswambharan. He talks good Malayalam. Also you can hear some good Malayalam in Udayamritham and Jeevdhaara programs. They are also on Amrita TV.. Try not to watch any advertisement on TV. Most of them are cultural disgrace. Most of the announcers and news readers do not speak good Malayalam. The reason is very simple; most of them did not learn Malayalam. They probably went to the English medium schools and are unable to pronounce any Malayalam word. They may be even using English letters to write Malayalam.

They, due to the culture of the English medium school are not that proud of Malayalam either. In fact to culturally ruin us only the British introduced English education into our Bharatham, to make every Bhaarateeyan to be ashamed about our language, culture and ancestry. I am sure they succeeded to a great extent. Our Devabhaasha Samskritham almost died. Our Malayalam is dying. So please don’t avoid Malayalam. Learn it, read it, write it and talk in it. Same way, let us learn our Devabhaasha, Samskritham; read it, write it and talk in it, communicate in it. Our ancestry is very valuable. It can be fully taught and fully understood only in our Mother tongue and our Devabhaasha. So let us not neglect it. Let us learn both.

I am in no way advocating a posture against English. But we should never circumvent our Mother tongue. Never avoid reading writing or talking good Malayalam. Some people think and believe that Talking, Reading and Writing Malayalam can be a deterrent to learning another language. In fact just the reverse is the truth. If you learn one language the proper way, it will help you to learn other languages properly. So my advice is not to Avoid Malayalam. Use both languages the same way. Read, write and talk in both. That will help you.

Thanks and sorry for the intrusion with a long message. This refers to message 15039.

Sincerely,

Udayabhanu Panickaraumnamahh Shivaaya

The vow not to kill is great indeed, and greater still isnon-eating of the flesh; there would be no butcher, if there is non to eat; ineating thus abides the cruder ill, as she/he is the reason for the killing.

Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more!