IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secret

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

There may arise a doubt regarding this sloka where the Lord says, yogakshemam vahaamyaham. We often see that the devotees of the Lord are not very prosperous in the world and how could yoga , attaining and kshema, preservation holds good in the case of one who has no possessions? Here the word yoga should be understood as attaining the Lord and kshema is the preservation of the means of attaining Him. The real devotee does not know anything else except the love for the Lord. Hence like the mother who takes care of her child by giving him what he needs and removing what is not good for him, the Lord gives the devotee what all that are necessary for his attaining the goal and takes away from him which is not conducive for that. He looks after the devotee by securing his basic needs like food etc. which help him to carry on in his spiritual journey and protects him from that which may obstruct his path . This is the yogakshema mentioned in the sloka.

23. ye api anya dhevathaa bhakthaah yajanthe

SraddhayaanvithaaH

The api maameva kountheya yajanthi aviDhipoorvakam

Even the devotees of other deities who worship them with sacrifices etc. with faith , only worship Me in reality but not in the proper way

24. aham hi sarvayajnaanaam bhokthaa cha prabhureva cha

na thu maam abhijaananthi thathvena athaH chyavanthi the

I am the Lord of all sacrifices and the enjoyer. But they do not know this and they slip from the final stage.

Even those who worship other deities, which includes those who do sacrifices to please Indra etc., actually worship only the Supreme Self, because He is the power behind them. So, provided they worship their ishtsdevatha with faith, through them the Lord gives results. Krishna says that He is the sacrifice, sacrificed and the sacrificer, without knowing which, the people who worship others fall back into samsara.

Those who worship other deities desiring for particular results will get only those result provided their faith is true. Even though the Lord only gives those results they will not get the final result of moksha which His devotees get and hence Krishna says that they swerve from the final goal.

25. yaanthi dhevavrathaa dhevaan pithRn yaanthi

pithrvrathaaH

bhoothaani yaanthi bhoothejyaa yaanthi madhyaajinopi

maam

Those worship devas will go to the worlds ordained by such ritualistic worship and get the results which are in the power of such deities to give. The worshippers of Pthrs reach the pthrs and the worshippers of demonic forces go to them. Those who worship me come to Me.

The overall meaning of this sloka is that those who worship the devas attain the realm of experience like that of the devas. That is they go to heaven. When their merit is exhausted they return to earth. Those who do the sraddha and other rituals pertaining to the pithrs go to prithrloka and they also return after their stay there . Those who worship the evil forces also go to their region and come back to reap the fruit of their acts. Only those who worship the Lord attains moksha and do not return to earth.

But this sloka along with the one before the previous, that is the 23rd, should be examined in the light of the 22nd, ananyaaschinthayantho maam , because of the word SraddhayaanvithaaH, with full faith.

It is explained in the sloka 22nd that whatever one contemplates with involvement and dedication will provide results. The word deva refers to the power behind the indhriyas. Sun is the devata of eyes, Indra of hands etc. Hence the devas worshipped for the sake of sense satisfaction provide that only. The sacrifice performed for wealth or power or even for attaining heaven which is only a realm of sensual experience ensures whatever one wishes for. This is the meaning of dhevaan dhevavrathaan yaanthi. Alternatively it may mean that if one tries for sensual pursuits like acquiring wealth, and other possessions diligently, working for it with full faith and involvement with dedication will get it.

The pithrs signify the culture and tradition and those who worship the pithrs are those who do the Sraaddhas and other ritualistic ceremonies according to their varna and asrama. They will reach the realm of pithrs and will be born as custodians of culture and tradition..

The bhoothas represent the elements and may refer to the secular sciences and pursuits like engineering or agriculture. Even these disciplines followed faithfully fetch results. If bhoothas are understood as evil spirits the followers will get results no doubt but will also be doomed for an eternity of damnation until they reform themselves. Krishna says in a later chapter that he pushes them into aasuric wombs, kshipaami ajasram aSubhaan aaasyureeshvevayonishu.(BG.16.19)

This also affirms what is said in the previous sloka , aham hi sarva yajnaanaam bhokthaa cha prabhurevacha, because it is only the Lord who gives the result to all according to their actions. Without knowing this they resort to other means that will provide only temporary result causing their return into samsara.

Guest guest

Dear Thankam Rajendar,Chinmayanada Swamiji's Gita is the best specially for beginners. He has written two. One named Gita for children. This is actually good for people who are not familiar with Gita. I feel that this should be named Gita for bagginess. The other one written by Chinmayananda Swamiji is the full version. Gita for children is the one I recommend for the bagginess. They are available at all the Chinmaya Mission Centers. There is one at Trissur. Here is the address both web address and postal address.http://www.chinmayamission.com/centres.php?mode=cd & cn_id=143Chinmaya Mission Thrissur

Neeranjali, Round North,

Thrissur

- 680 020

ThanksSincerely,Udayabhanu Panickaraumnamahh

Shivaaya The vow not to kill is great

indeed, and greater still is non-eating of the flesh; there would be no butcher, if there is non to eat; in eating thus abides the cruder ill, as she/he is the reason for the killing. --- On Tue, 5/26/09, Thankam Rajendar <thankamraj wrote:Thankam Rajendar <thankamrajRE: [Guruvayur] Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secretguruvayur Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 8:55 PM

Hi to all of you.

I would like to have some information about

my husband and son are interested Bhagavatgita reading and liistening. they both are not that easy to understand malayalam.both are keeping a copy of Dr. Radha Krishnans translation of gita.

Nearly one year i am listening 108days Gita Prabhashanam by Swamy Sandeep Chithania. It is helping me a lot to understand than myself. swamiji always quotes about Chinmayanda Swamiji.

so i would like to give few books about Swamiji and Swamijis translation of Bhagavat Gita. hope some of you must have red Swamijis Gita, can you help me giving some information about my needs. where i can get it near trissur or Guruvayoor.

Dr. Radha Krishnans copy my husband puchased near 30 years ago. time is changed a lot. i am looking something helping todays daytodays life. that iam experiencing from swamijis 108dys prabhashnam. same way i wants to help them both giving something to help their day today life.

thank you very much.

bye.

guruvayur@grou ps.comrasikatns (AT) gmail (DOT) comTue, 26 May 2009 07:02:18 +0000[Guruvayur] Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secret

22. ananyaaH chinthayantho maam ye janaah paryupaasathe

theshaam nithyaabhiyukthaana am yogakshemaam

vahaamyaham

For those people, who think of me without any other thought and persistent in my devotion always , I take care of their welfare.

The Lord promises that He will look after those, who think of Him and worship Him, persistently and consistently, in this world and the next. Yoga is attainment and Kshema is preservation of that which is attained. The Lord looks after the acquirement and preservation of the needs of his ardent devotees in this world and takes the responsibility of bringing them to Him and preserving them in that state forever. It means that they do not return to samsara.

This sloka interpreted with a secular slant proves to be the formula for success in any endeavour, most valuable in management sciences. If one thinks of nothing else except the work at hand, and works on it persistently and consistently the work itself promises success. This and the sloka in second chapter 'karmaNyEvdhikarast hE' (ch.2.47)taken together will be invaluable principles in worldly pursuits for one who aims for success. When the same work done without the expectation of result and as an offering to God it becomes karmayoga.

The important words to be remembered in this sloka are paryupaasathe and nithyaabhiyukathaan aam. When one thinks of an ideal or goal to be reached he should remember it always , nithyaabhiyuktha, and continuously, oaryupasathe. A worker who works relelntlessly on his work, may it be painting, singing or studying etc. he is crowned with success. This is because he gets totally involved in his work becomes dedicated when, even the thought of success never enters his mind. But the work performed thus takes care of the result. This is the implication of yogakshemam vahaamyaham even taken in the worldly sense.

The same dedication and involvement towards the Lord, and puts the responsibility of taking care of the devotee on His shoulders and He says "I will look after the welfare of such a devotee." The life history of all the saints is the proof of this. When the devotee says, kaayena vaachaa mansendhriyairvaa budDhyaathmanaa vaa prakrthersvabhaavaa th karom yath yath sakalam parasmai naaraayaNaayethi samarpayaami, meaning , what ever I do feel and think I offer it to Narayana, the onus is on Narayana to look after him.

He cut vegetables in the house of Ghorakumbha, prepared cowdung cakes for Bhaktha Jana, helped in the daily worship for Ramanuja and some others, repaid the loan of Badrachala Ramadas, protected the money given to Thyagaraja by a devotee from the thieves, what ever He did not do for His devotees! It produces horripilation even to mention these acts of love of the Lord and they are countless, starting from early yugas right down to Kaliyuga. In this sloka the Lord shows the easiest way to attain His grace.

Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.

Guest guest

Hi to you all,

Thank you very much for your valued information. I will get them soon. i need the full version of Bhagavt Geeta.

Once again thank you very much.

bye. thankam rajendar

guruvayur From: udhayabhanupanickarDate: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:54:21 -0700RE: [Guruvayur] Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secret

Dear Thankam Rajendar,Chinmayanada Swamiji's Gita is the best specially for beginners. He has written two. One named Gita for children. This is actually good for people who are not familiar with Gita. I feel that this should be named Gita for bagginess. The other one written by Chinmayananda Swamiji is the full version. Gita for children is the one I recommend for the bagginess. They are available at all the Chinmaya Mission Centers. There is one at Trissur. Here is the address both web address and postal address.http://www.chinmayamission.com/centres.php?mode=cd & cn_id=143Chinmaya Mission ThrissurNeeranjali, Round North,Thrissur - 680 020 Thanks

Sincerely,

Udayabhanu Panickaraumnamahh Shivaaya

The vow not to kill is great indeed, and greater still is non-eating of the flesh; there would be no butcher, if there is non to eat; in eating thus abides the cruder ill, as she/he is the reason for the killing.--- On Tue, 5/26/09, Thankam Rajendar <thankamraj (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Thankam Rajendar <thankamraj (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>RE: [Guruvayur] Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secretguruvayur Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 8:55 PM

Hi to all of you. I would like to have some information about my husband and son are interested Bhagavatgita reading and liistening. they both are not that easy to understand malayalam.both are keeping a copy of Dr. Radha Krishnans translation of gita. Nearly one year i am listening 108days Gita Prabhashanam by Swamy Sandeep Chithania. It is helping me a lot to understand than myself. swamiji always quotes about Chinmayanda Swamiji. so i would like to give few books about Swamiji and Swamijis translation of Bhagavat Gita. hope some of you must have red Swamijis Gita, can you help me giving some information about my needs. where i can get it near trissur or Guruvayoor. Dr. Radha Krishnans copy my husband puchased near 30 years ago. time is changed a lot. i am looking something helping todays daytodays life. that iam experiencing from swamijis 108dys prabhashnam. same way i wants to help them both giving something to help their day today life. thank you very much.bye.

guruvayur@grou ps.comrasikatns (AT) gmail (DOT) comTue, 26 May 2009 07:02:18 +0000[Guruvayur] Bhagavat gita adetailed study-chapter 9 -Brahmavidya the royal secret

22. ananyaaH chinthayantho maam ye janaah paryupaasathe

theshaam nithyaabhiyukthaana am yogakshemaam

vahaamyaham

For those people, who think of me without any other thought and persistent in my devotion always , I take care of their welfare.

The Lord promises that He will look after those, who think of Him and worship Him, persistently and consistently, in this world and the next. Yoga is attainment and Kshema is preservation of that which is attained. The Lord looks after the acquirement and preservation of the needs of his ardent devotees in this world and takes the responsibility of bringing them to Him and preserving them in that state forever. It means that they do not return to samsara.

This sloka interpreted with a secular slant proves to be the formula for success in any endeavour, most valuable in management sciences. If one thinks of nothing else except the work at hand, and works on it persistently and consistently the work itself promises success. This and the sloka in second chapter 'karmaNyEvdhikarast hE' (ch.2.47)taken together will be invaluable principles in worldly pursuits for one who aims for success. When the same work done without the expectation of result and as an offering to God it becomes karmayoga.

The important words to be remembered in this sloka are paryupaasathe and nithyaabhiyukathaan aam. When one thinks of an ideal or goal to be reached he should remember it always , nithyaabhiyuktha, and continuously, oaryupasathe. A worker who works relelntlessly on his work, may it be painting, singing or studying etc. he is crowned with success. This is because he gets totally involved in his work becomes dedicated when, even the thought of success never enters his mind. But the work performed thus takes care of the result. This is the implication of yogakshemam vahaamyaham even taken in the worldly sense.

The same dedication and involvement towards the Lord, and puts the responsibility of taking care of the devotee on His shoulders and He says "I will look after the welfare of such a devotee." The life history of all the saints is the proof of this. When the devotee says, kaayena vaachaa mansendhriyairvaa budDhyaathmanaa vaa prakrthersvabhaavaa th karom yath yath sakalam parasmai naaraayaNaayethi samarpayaami, meaning , what ever I do feel and think I offer it to Narayana, the onus is on Narayana to look after him.

He cut vegetables in the house of Ghorakumbha, prepared cowdung cakes for Bhaktha Jana, helped in the daily worship for Ramanuja and some others, repaid the loan of Badrachala Ramadas, protected the money given to Thyagaraja by a devotee from the thieves, what ever He did not do for His devotees! It produces horripilation even to mention these acts of love of the Lord and they are countless, starting from early yugas right down to Kaliyuga. In this sloka the Lord shows the easiest way to attain His grace.

Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.