IndiaDivine.org

HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - Part 58

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE? Adhik Maas or Mal Maas or Purushottam Maas The Adhik Maas (additional Lunar month) or Mal Maas (unclean Lunar month) or Purushottam Maas comes once more or less in 2 and a 1/2 years, or precisely every 31.4 Lunar months in Lunar calendar in order to achieve a balance between the Lunar months and the Solar months; both of which govern the Hindoo calendar. Just as there is the lunar year with the extra month (Adhik Maas), so is there a lunar year with a diminished or reduced month, with only eleven months in the year. The lunar year comprising of eleven months only is very rare indeed.. It occurs once in 140 years or once in 190 years. But the extra month or Adhik Maas comes every third year. Adhik Maas adopts the name of the month that follows adhik Maas . Whenever Sankranti does not fall within one month then Adhik Maas occurs. When there are two Sankrantis within one month then it becomes the lunar year with one reduced month (11 months in the year). Vasishtha Siddhanta (the treatise of Vasishtha) mentions that Adhik Maas or the extra lunar month occurs after every 32 months, 16 days and 8 Ghadis (a Ghadi is a period of 24 minutes and 60 Ghadis equal 24 hours). The Solar year has 365 days whereas the Lunar has fewer days, because each month is roughly 29.53 days only according to Moon's speed. To bring the two years in sync, the Adhik Maas (an extra month) is added to the Lunar year once in approx 2 and 1/2 years. This is the month when the Moon is not near any Nakshatra (stellar constellation) and the Sun has not entered any Raashi or Sign of Zodiac. Complicated as this is, it is easy to remember that the Adhik Maas balances the Lunar and Solar calendars. Also because the earth's rotation around the Sun is slightly slower during the months of July-October, the Adhik Maas comes in this period only. Shraavan, Bhaadrapad, Aashwin are the common Adhik Maas months. In the year 2004, the Adhik Maas (month)

started on July 18 and ended on August, 15. This month is considered very auspicious and is especially dear to Lord Krishn’s heart. The following story, connected with Adhik Maas, is popularly known - Once upon a time, it so happened that all the 12 months of the year felt very burdened by the sins committed by mankind. So all the "12 months of the year" went to Lord Krishn and complained about it. The 12 months begged the Lord to redeem them of this horrible weight [of sins]. Lord Vishnu blessed them and said: “I shall create an extra month to carry the burden. This extra month (Adhik Maas) will be known as "Mal Maas" - Mal means "Unclean". Because of being an unclean month, naturally no festival would take place during this month." Hearing this, "Mal Maas" felt very sad and took his plight to Lord Krishn. He cried - “Why only me to carry the burden of all the sins?†Lord Krishn was filled with compassion. He said - “I bless you, O Mal Maas. Henceforth you will be named after me. You will be known as the Month of Purushottam (Purush means 'man', and Uttam means 'the best' - thus Puroshottam refers to the Highest Being, means 'God or Paramaatmaa), so you will be known as "Purushottam Maas" from today." The Lord further stated: “Whosoever shall pray, keep fast, chant, sing, worship during the month of Purushottam, will be specially blessed, and get maximum recognition by me." Adhik Maas got very happy to hear this and never got sad after that. In the Gita, Krishna says: "I am celebrated both in the world and in the Vedas as that Supreme person: Purushottama" (15.18). The Lord of the Universe, Jagannath, is also known as Purushottama. His abode, Puri, is known as Purushottama-Dhama.

The best spiritual practice during the month, according to the Srimad Bhagavatam, is to hear the glories of the Supreme Lord, the Hari Katha. This time the month of Purushottama has come in the Shravana season. Krishna said: "This additional month is like Me. I cannot be comprehended by the conditioned souls of this world - I am Supreme, and so I am designated as Purushottama."

Everything in our spiritual culture has got consciousness (in the background) - the Sun is presided over by the Sun-god, the moon is presided over by the Moon-god and Ganga Devi is the presiding deity of the river Ganga . Similarly, there is a presiding deity for the Purushottama month. In a book called Purushottama Granth can be found many aspects of the special religious significance of this month. Many people read or listen to this book during Purushottama Maas (Adhik Maas). By reading and listening, high merits are acquired. There are lots of lovely stories connected with the special significance of this month. It is written in the Bhavishyottar Purana that fasting or eating once a day should commence on the first day of the bright fortnight (Shukla Paksha) and end on the last day of the dark fortnight (Krishna Paksha). According to ability, distribute to charities and do good deeds.

dil se,

Bharath.Krishna

Doha, Qatar

Explore your hobbies and interests. Click here to begin.