IndiaDivine.org

Njanappaana 3

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Njanappana 3--------------Kandukandangirikkum janangale  Kandillennu varuthunnathum bhavaanRandu naalu dinam kondorutthane Thandiletti nadathunnathum bhavaan

Maalika mukaleriya mannante Tholil maaraappu kettunnathum bhavaanIf Bhagavan wishes, those people whom we see today may disappear (may be dead) by tomorrow. Again if Bhagavan decides, with in a few days (two or four days) a healthy man's dead body may be carried to the funeral pyre. In the same way, by God's wish, a king sitting in a palace (maalika) can become a beggar with a dirty bag (maaraappu) hanging from his shoulders (tholil).

Poonthaanam explains how transient our life, wealth, poverty, sorrows and everything that we see in this world. A man walking and having fun this moment can embrace death the next moment. Everything is Lord's wish! In Kerala, usually dead body is tied to a wooden ladder or a piece of long wood and carried by relatives (normally by sons) to the funeral pyre. However hail and healthy one may be, when the time decided by Lord approaches, chaitanyam or jeevan disappears leaving the dead body to be carried to the funeral pyre. It can happen any time, in one day, two days or four days (randu naalu dinam kondoruthane). Here Poonthanam used the word " mannan " for king (mannante) because " mannan " also means " drushtan " or " aviveki " . He advises that those people who have money and power should have the vivekam to use both dharmically remembering that they came to this world with nothing and would go from this world with nothing. Bhagavan can take it any moment from anybody.

By Lord Krishna's blessings, Kuchela or Sudama became wealthy overnight. What about Ravana? He lost everything that he held dear and finally he lost his life too at the hands of Lord Rama. Even if we are destined to go through sufferings due to our past karmaas, surrendering to Lord will lessen the negative effects and lead us to Satgathi. " Bagavan says in Gita: " na hi kalyaanakruth kashchid durgathim thaatha gacchathi " meaning " If you do good, it will definitely lead you to satgathi or protect you from any harm " . Poonthaanam tells this truth from his own experience of the tragic and sudden death  of his infant son. 

I have heard several versions of the story. But the following is the one I heard from my parents. Poonthaanam's son was 5 months old and anna praasham (giving rice for the first time is called " choroonu " in Malayalam. Usually it is done either the 5th month or 7th month ) ceremony was fixed. He invited several relatives and that morning after feeding the baby his wife made a bed in the room next to the hall where ceremony was to be conducted. Usually there will be an entrance to that room from the kitchen also. Baby was sleeping and his wife was busy with all the preparations. It was morning and one namboothiri lady finished her bath and put the wet clothes in the same room where the baby was sleeping. That room was dark even during day time and she did not see the baby and unfortunately wet clothes were put on the baby's face. ( I can very well believe this because in my house, there is a room on the north side called Vatakkini which is very dark even in day time. So when our parents told us this story, we listened with tears in our eyes and we felt it could happen in any Nambudiri house.) Then the next lady came after bath and seeing the wet clothes in a corner she also put hers on the top of it. One after another a few ladies unknowlingly put wet clothes on  and around the baby. Nobody noticed and it was about muhurttham time and Poonthaanam asked his wife to bring the baby. She was shocked to see what happened to her helpless baby and we can imagine the rest. 

This sorrow gave birth to Njanappana and Poonthaanam advises us to realize the uncertainty of everything in this world and persuades us to think of God by continuous chanting of His auspicious names.

SreekrishnaarpanamsthuRegards and prayersSavitri

Guest guest

Pranamam Respected Savithriji,

Thank you so much for the explanation about Njanappana in your beautiful language.

with prayers,

Jayasankar Vattekkat

--- On Sun, 5/7/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Njanappaana 3Sunday, 5 July, 2009, 5:46 PM

Njanappana 3

------------ --

Kandukandangirikkum janangale Kandillennu varuthunnathum bhavaan

Randu naalu dinam kondorutthane Thandiletti nadathunnathum bhavaan

Maalika mukaleriya mannante Tholil maaraappu kettunnathum bhavaan

If Bhagavan wishes, those people whom we see today may disappear (may be dead) by tomorrow. Again if Bhagavan decides, with in a few days (two or four days) a healthy man's dead body may be carried to the funeral pyre. In the same way, by God's wish, a king sitting in a palace (maalika) can become a beggar with a dirty bag (maaraappu) hanging from his shoulders (tholil).

Poonthaanam explains how transient our life, wealth, poverty, sorrows and everything that we see in this world. A man walking and having fun this moment can embrace death the next moment. Everything is Lord's wish! In Kerala, usually dead body is tied to a wooden ladder or a piece of long wood and carried by relatives (normally by sons) to the funeral pyre. However hail and healthy one may be, when the time decided by Lord approaches, chaitanyam or jeevan disappears leaving the dead body to be carried to the funeral pyre. It can happen any time, in one day, two days or four days (randu naalu dinam kondoruthane) . Here Poonthanam used the word "mannan" for king (mannante) because "mannan" also means "drushtan" or "aviveki". He advises that those people who have money and power should have the vivekam to use both dharmically remembering that they came to this world with nothing and would go from this world with nothing. Bhagavan can take it

any moment from anybody.

By Lord Krishna's blessings, Kuchela or Sudama became wealthy overnight. What about Ravana? He lost everything that he held dear and finally he lost his life too at the hands of Lord Rama. Even if we are destined to go through sufferings due to our past karmaas, surrendering to Lord will lessen the negative effects and lead us to Satgathi. "Bagavan says in Gita: "na hi kalyaanakruth kashchid durgathim thaatha gacchathi" meaning "If you do good, it will definitely lead you to satgathi or protect you from any harm". Poonthaanam tells this truth from his own experience of the tragic and sudden death of his infant son.

I have heard several versions of the story. But the following is the one I heard from my parents. Poonthaanam's son was 5 months old and anna praasham (giving rice for the first time is called "choroonu" in Malayalam. Usually it is done either the 5th month or 7th month ) ceremony was fixed. He invited several relatives and that morning after feeding the baby his wife made a bed in the room next to the hall where ceremony was to be conducted. Usually there will be an entrance to that room from the kitchen also. Baby was sleeping and his wife was busy with all the preparations. It was morning and one namboothiri lady finished her bath and put the wet clothes in the same room where the baby was sleeping. That room was dark even during day time and she did not see the baby and unfortunately wet clothes were put on the baby's face. ( I can very well believe this because in my house, there is a room on the north side called Vatakkini which is very

dark even in day time. So when our parents told us this story, we listened with tears in our eyes and we felt it could happen in any Nambudiri house.) Then the next lady came after bath and seeing the wet clothes in a corner she also put hers on the top of it. One after another a few ladies unknowlingly put wet clothes on and around the baby. Nobody noticed and it was about muhurttham time and Poonthaanam asked his wife to bring the baby. She was shocked to see what happened to her helpless baby and we can imagine the rest.

This sorrow gave birth to Njanappana and Poonthaanam advises us to realize the uncertainty of everything in this world and persuades us to think of God by continuous chanting of His auspicious names.

Sreekrishnaarpanams thu

Regards and prayers

Savitri

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.

Guest guest

Dear Jayashankarji,As I said, this is only my attempt to write what I understand. I have read Thathwa deepika Vyakhyaanam by Shri K.R. Neelakandhan Nambishan and a few others with very brief meanings. My humble request is to correct if you see any mistakes. I really feel diffident to write about such a great work with my very limited knowledge and experience. But I sincerely hope that Gurudevs like you will add your thoughts where ever and when ever needed and enrich all of us. I know that Bhagavan's Kaarunyam is endless and that is the only consolation I have. 

Thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement. I really do believe that Bhagavan is tellling me through you to continue doing this as best as I can. Regards and prayers

savitriOn Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:24 AM, jayasankar vattekkat <vinodvattekkat wrote:

Pranamam Respected Savithriji,

Thank you so much for the explanation about Njanappana in your beautiful language.

with prayers,

Jayasankar Vattekkat

--- On Sun, 5/7/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Njanappaana 3

Sunday, 5 July, 2009, 5:46 PM

Njanappana 3

------------ --

Kandukandangirikkum janangale  Kandillennu varuthunnathum bhavaan

Randu naalu dinam kondorutthane Thandiletti nadathunnathum bhavaan

Maalika mukaleriya mannante Tholil maaraappu kettunnathum bhavaan

If Bhagavan wishes, those people whom we see today may disappear (may be dead) by tomorrow. Again if Bhagavan decides, with in a few days (two or four days) a healthy man's dead body may be carried to the funeral pyre. In the same way, by God's wish, a king sitting in a palace (maalika) can become a beggar with a dirty bag (maaraappu) hanging from his shoulders (tholil).

Poonthaanam explains how transient our life, wealth, poverty, sorrows and everything that we see in this world. A man walking and having fun this moment can embrace death the next moment. Everything is Lord's wish! In Kerala, usually dead body is tied to a wooden ladder or a piece of long wood and carried by relatives (normally by sons) to the funeral pyre. However hail and healthy one may be, when the time decided by Lord approaches, chaitanyam or jeevan disappears leaving the dead body to be carried to the funeral pyre. It can happen any time, in one day, two days or four days (randu naalu dinam kondoruthane) . Here Poonthanam used the word " mannan " for king (mannante) because " mannan " also means " drushtan " or " aviveki " . He advises that those people who have money and power should have the vivekam to use both dharmically remembering that they came to this world with nothing and would go from this world with nothing. Bhagavan can take it

any moment from anybody.

By Lord Krishna's blessings, Kuchela or Sudama became wealthy overnight. What about Ravana? He lost everything that he held dear and finally he lost his life too at the hands of Lord Rama. Even if we are destined to go through sufferings due to our past karmaas, surrendering to Lord will lessen the negative effects and lead us to Satgathi. " Bagavan says in Gita: " na hi kalyaanakruth kashchid durgathim thaatha gacchathi " meaning " If you do good, it will definitely lead you to satgathi or protect you from any harm " . Poonthaanam tells this truth from his own experience of the tragic and sudden death  of his infant son. 

I have heard several versions of the story. But the following is the one I heard from my parents. Poonthaanam's son was 5 months old and anna praasham (giving rice for the first time is called " choroonu " in Malayalam. Usually it is done either the 5th month or 7th month ) ceremony was fixed. He invited several relatives and that morning after feeding the baby his wife made a bed in the room next to the hall where ceremony was to be conducted. Usually there will be an entrance to that room from the kitchen also. Baby was sleeping and his wife was busy with all the preparations. It was morning and one namboothiri lady finished her bath and put the wet clothes in the same room where the baby was sleeping. That room was dark even during day time and she did not see the baby and unfortunately wet clothes were put on the baby's face. ( I can very well believe this because in my house, there is a room on the north side called Vatakkini which is very

dark even in day time. So when our parents told us this story, we listened with tears in our eyes and we felt it could happen in any Nambudiri house.) Then the next lady came after bath and seeing the wet clothes in a corner she also put hers on the top of it. One after another a few ladies unknowlingly put wet clothes on  and around the baby. Nobody noticed and it was about muhurttham time and Poonthaanam asked his wife to bring the baby. She was shocked to see what happened to her helpless baby and we can imagine the rest. 

Sreekrishnaarpanams thu

Regards and prayers

Savitri

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.