IndiaDivine.org

Namasthe- Njanappana 9

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Njanappana 9Nammeyokkeyum bandhicha saadahanam Karmam ennariyendathu mumbinaalFirst and foremost (mumbinaal), we should know (ariyendathu) that karmam is the thing (saadhanam) that binds (bandhiccha) all of us (naameyokkeyum) to this world.

Even before telling us more about the easiest path for salvation, poet starts with the big word :Karma " and how we are all bound in the cycle of birth and death by karma. Both good and bad karmaas are binding and hence we have to know what is the root cause for making us do karmaas and eradicate the root cause. In this context, an example of a burning stick is appropriate. If we move a burning stick in a circle, a burning circle will seem to appear. In reality (understanding the reality is njaanam) the circular movement of the stick causes the illusion. Likewise the wheel of time is moving with very high speed dragging us along with it and forcing us to do good as well as bad karmaas with ego (or feeling of " I am the doer). This causes the illusion of bondage. So we have to have the njaanam or knowledge to go beyond this illusion or Maya to escape from the bondage. Also the famous example of seeing a rope and misunderstanding it as a snake is appropriate. Until we know that it is only a rope, we will be scared and stressed. What will lead us to this knowledge of Brahmam? Continuous remembrance of Lord through Naamasankeerthanam will help us to detach us from the karma-bound cycle and lead us to Njaanam and moksham.  

Law of Karma is a law of justice and it is straight forward, impartial and inescapable. The only thing that can nullify the effects of Karma is Bhagavan's grace. Bhagavan's blessings loosen the tightly bound law of Karma and makes the otherwise impossible escape possible for us. In Kaliyuga the easiest way to obtain Bhagavan's blessings and grace is naamasnakeerthanam.  

In Mahabharatha, Sahadeva advises his elder elder brother Yudhishtira on the subject of Karma. He says that when ever we do Karmaas with the feeling of " I am the doer " or " mine (two letter sanskrit word " mama " ) those karmaas lead us to the cycle of birth and death. But when we do karmaas thinking that we are not the doer, the results of the karmaas also will not be ours. This feeling is called " I am not the doer " or not mine (in Sanskrit, it is expressed in three letters " na mama " ). Karmaas performed with this attitude are not binding and and free us from the eternal cycle of birth and death. Again, how can we develop this attitude in Kaliyuga? Poonthanam assures us along with Bhagavan that Nammasankeerthanam will eventually give us this " na mama " attitude and lead us to njaanam and moksham. 

How can we forget to mention Shankaraachaaryar's lines 

punarapi jananam punarapi maranampunarapi jananii jathare shayanamiha samsaare bahudustaarekripayaa apaare paahi muraare

Born again, death again, birth again to stay in the mother's womb! It is indeed hard to cross this boundless ocean of samsara. Oh Murari! Save me through Thy mercy.

Only Bhagavan's mercy can save us. Let us sing together with Poonthaanam:

Krishna!Krishna! Mukunda! Janaardana!Krishna! Govinda! Naarayana! Hare!Achyuthaananda! Govinda! Maadhava!Sachidaananda! Naarayana! HareSreekrishnaarpanamasthu

Regards an dprayersSavitri