IndiaDivine.org

Virtues of Gandhari.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ramanji,

I have also heard that on seeing Krishna after all her sons were killed in the battle, she opened her one eye slightly and all the anger in her eye made Krishna's toe, where her sight fell, black in color.

Jai Sree Krishna

GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62guruvayur Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:07:57 PM[Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.

Hare Krishna.

In our puranas we hv plenty of women who were chaste and abiding their husbands and at the same time righteous in their opinions even if the same did not find favour with their husbands.We hv great saint like ladies in Sita,Mandodari, Nalayani etc who were highly devoted totheirprtners. In the same way Gandhari, wife of Dhridharashtra also shines as a great woman of virtues.Daughter of Subala,the king of Gandhara and sister of Sakuni she obtained boon from Siva thru penance of having one hundred sons even when she was a virgin.Ever since she heard thatshe was to bemarried to the blind out of her conviction that when her husband was not blessed with eye sight she could not arrogate to herself the right of enjoying the sights of the world.From that day till almost the very end of her life she stuck to her firm resolve almost to the end of her life blind folded.In this way Gandhari

stood for ethical values,dharma and never sided with injustice.

In fact she became so grieve stricken when she heard that her husband had invited the Pandavas for the second time to play the game of dice protesting against gambling and

pleaded with Dhridharashtra to avoid the same as that would leave to grave consequences and result in the annihilation of Kurus.She submitted not to do the inevitable disaster that would come because of the foolish ideas of Duryodhana and his courtiers.She added that the calmness of Pandavas should not be taken as a sign of weakness and not to to behave like a child inold age.The Pandavas are like sons and so keep his reasoning power alive through unperturbedness, righteousness and act according to the wholesome advise of her ministers.She even rebuked her son to retract on the perilous course he was following by demanding his father to call the Pandavas for the play.She also had a heavy heart when she heard about what happened to Draupati and scolded her son for his doings.

..All her pleadings fell on the deaf ears of both the father and son.She outburst angrily when even Krishna advised against the gambling which too was not taken seriously by the father and son and told Dhridharashtra that he did the grossest blunder of handing over the jealous,angry, greedy Duryodhana the reins of administration of the state thereby making the father to suffer the ignominy in the eyes of the Pandavas,and scolded that it was ridiculous that a wise man like him resorting to punish

his own kith and kin in case of catastophe which could have been avoided thru persuasion and allurement.She advised her son to adhere to the advise of his Gurus and said that

prosperity stays with one who control over his senses and who undertakes all his activities after fore-thought, Krishna and Arjuna could not be overcome by anybody and any battle afterwards would only bring disaster and destruction. But all her advises,pleadings, cajoling failed to

change the mind of her son and the hapless father.After the gambling when the Pandavas were asked to spend 13 years in forest she was really sad and chided her son not to do the crime and instead make peace with them or else he would invite doom for the whole race.As she knew the greatness of Krishna and Arjuna she made all sorts of attempts to wean away her son who wanted her husband to invite for playing dice for the second time.

All her pleadings,cajoling were rejected by her son and husband.Here Gandhari shows she was a woman par excellence in holding dharma and justice.But she had to eat her advises before the cantankerous son and husband.

Being highly devoted to her husband and penance she acquired great powers.So when she heard that all her 100 sons were killed in the Great War she got wild and when Krishna came to pacify her the wrath in her mind increased manyfold and abused Krishna that as One who knew all these things would happen He should hv properly guided both the Pandavas and Kauravas to come to a settlement but instead He saved Pandavas and got the kurus killed.For this purposeful act she cursed Krishna that His race should also be annihilated by fighting among themselves.Krishna calmly told her He knew all these would happen and as it was the Time which decides everything He could not help and to go accrordingly and advised that the death of her sons was pre destined and He could only be a passive spectator to hasten the process to its logical conclusion and calmed Gandhari to relinguish the kingdom and told her to take her husband to go to some ashram and lead a life of

sanyasis.Gandhari took the advise in good sense and left the kingdom with her husband to an ashram and in a wild fire that gulfed both she and Dhridharashtra died.

Thus Gandhari proved herself to be a woman of great wisdom,justice, righteous, able to heed the advise of Krishna despite her bitterness,highly dedicated to her husband though he was not heeding her pleadings,wise counsel and all these qualities make her a great woman of virtues.

From this we can deduce it is not simple serving husband the duty of a woman ends but she should also be judicious in her words and deeds,be impartial in her decisions,shouild hv the temerity to advise that are noble,free from jealousy,ego, anger only then a woman gets highly respected.I am sure the same applies to men also in equal measure as virtuosity is not the domain of women only but men too.Than only life becomes worthy and

wholesome.

Hare Krishna,

agraman.

Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.

Guest guest

Dear Seema,

You are absolutely correct that Gandhari opened her eyes slightly and Krishnas toes became black.I purposely did not go into those details as my intention is not to stress only the virtues of Gandhari or her devotion to her husband and I stressed that virtues should not be one sided.We see in many scriptures etc that only women are compelled to be chaste

and not men and there are no prescription for men becoz almost all the puranas etc were written by men.Thus men expected that chastity should be only for women and such chaste women were euologised like Kannaki who it is said burnt Madurai becoz of the powers she developed by worshipping her husband whereas her husband was after another girl Madhavi and Kannaki borne that also without murmer.Such thoughts in my opinion must hv stemmed out of the egoistic male chauvinistic minds whoever hv written great novels or scriptures.Even sages are not sacrosanct in this respect and Akalya was cursed

by her sage husband for not able to recognise the disguised Indira in the sages form though she was innocent.Here also male chauvinism dominates.

Such type of instances are galore in our puranas etc which I feel is not only obnoxious but ridiculous.Hence my last para in which I hv dealt with in a small measure that what the society expects from women should be applicable to men also.Then only there will be

harmony in the society.But in the modern world such things hv to be decided on personal

preferences rather than depending on scriptures.Of course there is an exception in the case of Sri Rama who was affectionate towards his wife but in the end even He neglected her.Perhaps just to finish the story the same must hv been written as a climax.Poor Sita,I

feel pity for her.Still she gets the tag as a great woman despite Ramas action.Will such a thing happen now is anybodys guess.

This is not to invite controversies or finding fault with the sage who wrote Ramayana but

only some stray thoughts which if pondered over,one feels all is not hungy-dory and one has to put his head into sand.I am sorry I hv digressed from the topic but the topic was written only to stress this point in the end.

Hare Krishna.--- On Sun, 19/7/09, Seema Warrier <seemawarrier wrote:

Seema Warrier <seemawarrierRe: [Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.guruvayur Date: Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 2:22 PM

Ramanji,

I have also heard that on seeing Krishna after all her sons were killed in the battle, she opened her one eye slightly and all the anger in her eye made Krishna's toe, where her sight fell, black in color.

Jai Sree Krishna

GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 (AT) (DOT) co.in>guruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, July 17, 2009 10:07:57 PM[Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.

Hare Krishna.

In our puranas we hv plenty of women who were chaste and abiding their husbands and at the same time righteous in their opinions even if the same did not find favour with their husbands.We hv great saint like ladies in Sita,Mandodari, Nalayani etc who were highly devoted totheirprtners. In the same way Gandhari, wife of Dhridharashtra also shines as a great woman of virtues.Daughter of Subala,the king of Gandhara and sister of Sakuni she obtained boon from Siva thru penance of having one hundred sons even when she was a virgin.Ever since she heard thatshe was to bemarried to the blind out of her conviction that when her husband was not blessed with eye sight she could not arrogate to herself the right of enjoying the sights of the world.From that day till almost the very end of her life she stuck to her firm resolve almost to the end of her life blind folded.In this way Gandhari

In fact she became so grieve stricken when she heard that her husband had invited the Pandavas for the second time to play the game of dice protesting against gambling and

pleaded with Dhridharashtra to avoid the same as that would leave to grave consequences and result in the annihilation of Kurus.She submitted not to do the inevitable disaster that would come because of the foolish ideas of Duryodhana and his courtiers.She added that the calmness of Pandavas should not be taken as a sign of weakness and not to to behave like a child inold age.The Pandavas are like sons and so keep his reasoning power alive through unperturbedness, righteousness and act according to the wholesome advise of her ministers.She even rebuked her son to retract on the perilous course he was following by demanding his father to call the Pandavas for the play.She also had a heavy heart when she heard about what happened to Draupati and scolded her son for his doings.

..All her pleadings fell on the deaf ears of both the father and son.She outburst angrily when even Krishna advised against the gambling which too was not taken seriously by the father and son and told Dhridharashtra that he did the grossest blunder of handing over the jealous,angry, greedy Duryodhana the reins of administration of the state thereby making the father to suffer the ignominy in the eyes of the Pandavas,and scolded that it was ridiculous that a wise man like him resorting to punish

his own kith and kin in case of catastophe which could have been avoided thru persuasion and allurement.She advised her son to adhere to the advise of his Gurus and said that

prosperity stays with one who control over his senses and who undertakes all his activities after fore-thought, Krishna and Arjuna could not be overcome by anybody and any battle afterwards would only bring disaster and destruction. But all her advises,pleadings, cajoling failed to

change the mind of her son and the hapless father.After the gambling when the Pandavas were asked to spend 13 years in forest she was really sad and chided her son not to do the crime and instead make peace with them or else he would invite doom for the whole race.As she knew the greatness of Krishna and Arjuna she made all sorts of attempts to wean away her son who wanted her husband to invite for playing dice for the second time.

All her pleadings,cajoling were rejected by her son and husband.Here Gandhari shows she was a woman par excellence in holding dharma and justice.But she had to eat her advises before the cantankerous son and husband.

Being highly devoted to her husband and penance she acquired great powers.So when she heard that all her 100 sons were killed in the Great War she got wild and when Krishna came to pacify her the wrath in her mind increased manyfold and abused Krishna that as One who knew all these things would happen He should hv properly guided both the Pandavas and Kauravas to come to a settlement but instead He saved Pandavas and got the kurus killed.For this purposeful act she cursed Krishna that His race should also be annihilated by fighting among themselves.Krishna calmly told her He knew all these would happen and as it was the Time which decides everything He could not help and to go accrordingly and advised that the death of her sons was pre destined and He could only be a passive spectator to hasten the process to its logical conclusion and calmed Gandhari to relinguish the kingdom and told her to take her husband to go to some ashram and lead a life of

sanyasis.Gandhari took the advise in good sense and left the kingdom with her husband to an ashram and in a wild fire that gulfed both she and Dhridharashtra died.

Thus Gandhari proved herself to be a woman of great wisdom,justice, righteous, able to heed the advise of Krishna despite her bitterness,highly dedicated to her husband though he was not heeding her pleadings,wise counsel and all these qualities make her a great woman of virtues.

From this we can deduce it is not simple serving husband the duty of a woman ends but she should also be judicious in her words and deeds,be impartial in her decisions,shouild hv the temerity to advise that are noble,free from jealousy,ego, anger only then a woman gets highly respected.I am sure the same applies to men also in equal measure as virtuosity is not the domain of women only but men too.Than only life becomes worthy and

wholesome.

Hare Krishna,

agraman.

Guest guest

Dear Seema,

You are absolutely correct that Gandhari opened her eyes slightly and Krishnas toes became black.I purposely did not go into those details as my intention is not to stress only the virtues of Gandhari or her devotion to her husband and I stressed that virtues should not be one sided.We see in many scriptures etc that only women are compelled to be chaste

and not men and there are no prescription for men becoz almost all the puranas etc were written by men.Thus men expected that chastity should be only for women and such chaste women were euologised like Kannaki who it is said burnt Madurai becoz of the powers she developed by worshipping her husband whereas her husband was after another girl Madhavi and Kannaki borne that also without murmer.Such thoughts in my opinion must hv stemmed out of the egoistic male chauvinistic minds whoever hv written great novels or scriptures.Even sages are not sacrosanct in this respect and Akalya was cursed

by her sage husband for not able to recognise the disguised Indira in the sages form though she was innocent.Here also male chauvinism dominates.

Such type of instances are galore in our puranas etc which I feel is not only obnoxious but ridiculous.Hence my last para in which I hv dealt with in a small measure that what the society expects from women should be applicable to men also.Then only there will be

harmony in the society.But in the modern world such things hv to be decided on personal

preferences rather than depending on scriptures.Of course there is an exception in the case of Sri Rama who was affectionate towards his wife but in the end even He neglected her.Perhaps just to finish the story the same must hv been written as a climax.Poor Sita,I

feel pity for her.Still she gets the tag as a great woman despite Ramas action.Will such a thing happen now is anybodys guess.

This is not to invite controversies or finding fault with the sage who wrote Ramayana but

only some stray thoughts which if pondered over,one feels all is not hungy-dory and one has to put his head into sand.I am sorry I hv digressed from the topic but the topic was written only to stress this point in the end.

Hare Krishna.--- On Sun, 19/7/09, Seema Warrier <seemawarrier wrote:

Seema Warrier <seemawarrierRe: [Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.guruvayur Date: Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 2:22 PM

Ramanji,

Jai Sree Krishna

GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 (AT) (DOT) co.in>guruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, July 17, 2009 10:07:57 PM[Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.

Hare Krishna.

wholesome.

Hare Krishna,

agraman.

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.

Guest guest

I had heard it was Krishna's toes, thanks for correcting, Sarojaji. It would be wonderful to read about Krishna's doings in the war. Looking forward to read about all that.

Ramanji, as you truly said, Gandhari is truly a virtous lady, I think it is her chastity that made the toes turn black. Even she kept quite when she knew that Dhritharasthra, her husband, had a son Yuyutsu from a vaisya lady and was even accepting the son as her own. Kannaki's story is also very interesting one.

Jai Sree Krishna

Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18guruvayur Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 4:32:47 AMRe: [Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.

It was not the toes of Krishna but of Dharmaputhra which went black when he went to her and offered his obeisance after the war.Her anger that all her sons were killed by the Pandavas emitted a fire from her eyes and itt was Krishna who told Dharmaputhra not to fall down at her feet for this reason only. Shw also told Duryodhana to come to her naked after taking bath .so that she could open her eyes and look at him and his body would become unassailable to weapons.But Krishna knowing this told him that it is disrespect tpo go to the elders without clothes and asked him to wear a banana leaf over his hips. When Gandhari opened her eyes she was dissappointed and knew that his death is imminent. Bhima hit him on his thighs which were covered with banana leaf.I will send a separate post about Krishna' s doings in the war and also rama's banishment of Seethasaroja Ramanujam

Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromani

reply to sarojram18 (AT) gmail (DOT) com and to get the previous posts--- On Mon, 7/20/09, GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Re: [Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.guruvayur@grou ps.comMonday, July 20, 2009, 1:09 AM

Dear Seema,

Hare Krishna.--- On Sun, 19/7/09, Seema Warrier <seemawarrier@ grouply.com> wrote:

Seema Warrier <seemawarrier@ grouply.com>Re: [Guruvayur] Virtues of Gandhari.guruvayur@grou ps.comSunday, 19 July, 2009, 2:22 PM

Ramanji,

Jai Sree Krishna

Hare Krishna.

wholesome.

Hare Krishna,

agraman.

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.