Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Njaanappaana 35 

Neerppola poleyulloru dehathil

Veerppu maathramundigane kaanunnuOrthariyaathe padu pedunneram

Nerthu pokumathenne parayavooAthra maathramirikkunna nerathu

Keerthicheedunnathilla thirunaamam

We can see that body is like a breathing water bubble (first line). While struggling, oblivious of everything (orthariyaathe paadupedunneram), we can say that breathing becomes slow and stops (nerthu pokumatenne parayaavoo). This limited time span of life is not used for chanting divine names (last line)

Poet has compared our body to a bubble of water. There are three points of comparison. First obvious comparison is that bubbles form and die soon. We " marthyas " or mortals take birth, live for a while and die just like the water bubbles.

Secondly, a bubble breaks with the escape of the air trapped in it. A human body is dead with the last exhalation of praanavaayu. Also this can happen any time due to several reasons just like a bubble can break any moment with the disturbances around it.

Thirdly, if we look into a water bubble, we can see our reflection in that. Even we stand still, if the bubble moves in the wind or due to some disturbance, we can see that our reflection in the bubble also shakes or moves. Also it is to be noted that even when the bubble dies, nothing happens to us or we remain unaffected. Now poet says that the relationship between our body (which is like a breathing water bubble) and Aathma or soul is exactly like this. Aathma is real and eternal. Irrespective of the body's birth or death, Aathma remains unaffected.

With out ever thinking about the uncertainty of our existence, we go after material pleasures building attachment to all sources of sorrow. Real source of happiness is the eternal Paramaathma. Influenced by maaya, or ignorance, we try to find happiness going after insignificant transient pleasures. While immersed in this search for happiness, old age and diseases weaken the body and death quietly arrives. Poet says that it is a real pity that we do not use this very short span of human life we received with lot of punyam, to chant Bhagavaan's divine names.

What makes us forget about our mortality? Desires and the extreme eagerness to achieve the material desires pushes behind our yearning for the eternal happiness. To guide our mind through the right path, Poonthaanam begs us to start naamasnkeerthanam. Let us chant the divine names of Bhgavaan along with Shri Poonthaanam and millions of other devotees around the world. 

Krishna! Krishna! Mukunda! Jnaaradana!

Krishna! Govinda! Naaraayana! Hare!

Achyuthaananda! Govinda! Maadhava!

Sachidaananda! Naaraayana! Hare!

Samasthaaparaadham kshamaswa

Sreekrishnaarpanamsthu 

Regards and prayers 

savitri

P.S.

I am reminded of the story of Pingala, the prostitute,  in Bhagavatham. In an article by Nitin Kumar, he has described how Pingala's despondency caused by her anxiety of not getting any clients later became the cause of her happiness. Then she sang this inspirational song and these words:( this is taken from the article by Mr Nitin Kumar).

" Asha hi paramam dukham, Nairashyam paramam sukham " -  Hope (aasha) indeed is misery greatest, Hopelessness (niraasha) a bliss above the rest

Pingalaa's disappointment and eternal happiness

----

Alas, do look at my delusion immense,I am but a slave of the organs of sense.

Expecting fulfillment of desires did I cherish, Men who are transitory and will but perish.

Ignoring my ever proximate eternal lover, The indwelling soul I never did uncover.

Of true love wealth the One and only giver, Instead I courted men who couldn’t deliver. Who cannot quench any desire became my lover, Rather, only misery grief on me did they confer.

Selling myself uselessly afflicting my soul, To lusty men, contemptible on the whole.

Pillared on crooked bones a shaky frame, The human body is its famous name.

Stretched over with skin, nails and hair, It has nine doors, regularly from where, Pours out impurity stored inside there.

Now will I sell myself only for the price of god, Sporting with him like Lakshmi and her lord.

Truly with me is happy Vishnu the Lord, Perhaps of some past merit is this reward, Inside my heart with vicious hope abroad. He gave me disenchantment which is the sword, Which cuts away asunder the attachment cord.

Thus giving voice to her emotion, Pingala, doing away with all hope, closed her door, went to bed and slept peacefully and attained liberation.