Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Njanappaana 38

Pathu kittukil nooru mathiyennum

Sathamaakil sahasram mathiyennumAayiram panam kayyil undaakumbol

Aayutha-maakil-aascharya-mennathumAasayaayulla paasamithin-keennu

Ver pidaathe karerunnu melku mel

If one gets ten, he wants hundred. When he sees hundred, he wants thousand. When he gets thousand, he thinks that it will be wonderful to have more money. (Like this) One is going higher and higher on the rope of desire by strongly holding on to it. 

Here desire is compared to a never ending rope. As we know the comparison tells us that even though the rope is of endless length, it is not stable. Even if the greedy person holds on to it tightly, he can fall with the rope or fall leaving the hold on the rope. Let us remember the story of a woman selling " malarpoti " or popped-rice powder (It is different from puffed rice). This woman made a living by selling popped- rice powder. She was greedy and always dreamt of making more money. While she was walking with the container with the powder on her head, she started day-dreaming about how rich she would be one day. In he day-dream she saw a beautiful house fully furnished, with nice garden, very nice kitchen and lot of servants to attend her, lot of ornaments and lot of money in the bank etc. Immersed in this dream, she walked and hit on a tree trunk. What happened next is sad. She fell and broke her arm and container fell down and broke spilling the popped- rice powder in the entire area. Dream was shattered and food for the day became her priority.

This lady's climbing was only in her dream. But if some one tries to climb higher and higher on the rope of desire treading on and knocking everybody on his way, repercussions will be much more serious and irreversible.

When greedy people climb higher and higher on this rope of desire, fall is inevitable. Sankaraachaarya says:

Ma kuru dhana jana youvana garvam

Harathi nimeshaath kaala: sarvam

" Do not be proud of wealth, kindred and youth, time will take away all these in a moment. "

Furthur Sankaraachaarya explains the pathetic condition of ordinary people like us:

Angam Galitam Palitam MundamDasanaviheenam Jaatam TundamVriddho Yaati Griheetvaa DandamTadapi Na Munchatyaasaapindam

The body has become worn out. The head has become bald or turned grey. The mouth has become toothless. The old man moves about with the support of crutches. Even then the attachment is so strong that he clings firmly to the bundle of (fruitless) desires.

How can we control our ever rising desires? Poonthaanam's solution is Naamsankeertthanam. Naamasankeerthanam purifies our mind and helps us to control all the six negative emotions that entangle us in this world namely : kaama, krodha, lobha, mada, moha and maathsarya.

Let us chant Bhagavaans' divine names along with Shri Poonthaanam and millions of other devotees around the world:

Krishna!Krishna! Mukunda! janaardana!

Krishna! Govinda! Naarayana! Hare!

Achyuthaanada! Govinda! Maadhava!

Sachidaananda! Naarayana! Hare!

Samasthaaparaadham kshamaswa

Sreekrishnaarpanamasthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savitriji,

Thank you for your great presentation of Jnanapana. I am saving your write ups which contains so much information

Regarding this stanza, wheh Poonthanam mentions Asha pAsam., I think it also means

that the human mind is tied with rope of endless desires ,and so people have no time to the think about God. He advises us to free from these pAsaas and pray Krishna krishna mukunda janardana. Please forgive me if what I wrote is not the right meaning, Gurudevs and Savitriji.

prayerful regards,

Sreedevi menon

Om Namo Narayana

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38Monday, August 10, 2009, 4:39 AM

Njanappaana 38

Aayutha-maakil- aascharya- mennathumAasayaayulla paasamithin- keennu

If one gets ten, he wants hundred. When he sees hundred, he wants thousand. When he gets thousand, he thinks that it will be wonderful to have more money. (Like this) One is going higher and higher on the rope of desire by strongly holding on to it.

Here desire is compared to a never ending rope. As we know the comparison tells us that even though the rope is of endless length, it is not stable. Even if the greedy person holds on to it tightly, he can fall with the rope or fall leaving the hold on the rope. Let us remember the story of a woman selling "malarpoti" or popped-rice powder (It is different from puffed rice). This woman made a living by selling popped- rice powder. She was greedy and always dreamt of making more money. While she was walking with the container with the powder on her head, she started day-dreaming about how rich she would be one day. In he day-dream she saw a beautiful house fully furnished, with nice garden, very nice kitchen and lot of servants to attend her, lot of ornaments and lot of money in the bank etc. Immersed in this dream, she walked and hit on a tree trunk. What happened next is sad. She fell and broke her arm and container fell down and broke spilling the

popped- rice powder in the entire area. Dream was shattered and food for the day became her priority.

This lady's climbing was only in her dream. But if some one tries to climb higher and higher on the rope of desire treading on and knocking everybody on his way, repercussions will be much more serious and irreversible.

When greedy people climb higher and higher on this rope of desire, fall is inevitable. Sankaraachaarya says:

"Do not be proud of wealth, kindred and youth, time will take away all these in a moment."

Furthur Sankaraachaarya explains the pathetic condition of ordinary people like us:

Angam Galitam Palitam MundamDasanaviheenam Jaatam TundamVriddho Yaati Griheetvaa DandamTadapi Na Munchatyaasaapindam

The body has become worn out. The head has become bald or turned grey. The mouth has become toothless. The old man moves about with the support of crutches. Even then the attachment is so strong that he clings firmly to the bundle of (fruitless) desires.

How can we control our ever rising desires? Poonthaanam's solution is Naamsankeertthanam. Naamasankeerthanam purifies our mind and helps us to control all the six negative emotions that entangle us in this world namely : kaama, krodha, lobha, mada, moha and maathsarya.

Let us chant Bhagavaans' divine names along with Shri Poonthaanam and millions of other devotees around the world:

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Sreedeviji,

Thank you so much for the kind words. To be honest with you, it is a real learning process for me and I am learning so many things when I try to go deep into it. Unfortunately I have just one interpretation by Neelakndhan Nambishan and the rest I am trying to read and understand from different books . I heard that there is a very good Vyaakhyaanam by Dr. P.c. Balakrishnanji. I really wish I could read that also before I try to write about it. Jnaanananda Saraswathi's books and Siddhi naathaanada Swami's books and often Pandit Gopalan Nair's Bhagavtham help me understand a lot of things Shri Poonthaanam Nambudiri says in the most simple words. Sometimes, connecting all ideas together is a challenge and it is only a humble attempt.

What you said is absolutely right. In fulfilling our desire, we do not have time to think of God and often we are not able to set our priorities. When I rewirte, I will add this point with acknowledgement. Your input is very valuable to me. I missed this particular point and it is a very good point. Actually a few others who are not in Guruvayur group, some in our own family group and friends also suggested their views and added valuable comments for several lines. I have saved them and definitely want to incorporate when I rewrite. Thank you Sreedeviji, for the valuable comment. Please do write your perception and comments and correct any mistakes you might see because I am not writing with a lot of knowledge. But I am taking time and effort to do my best and I hope that Guruvayurappan will accept this " à´•à´²àµà´²àµà´‚ പതിരàµà´‚ നിറഞàµà´ž അവിലൠ"   offered at His feet.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM, NVP Menon <nvpmenon wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

Thank you for your great presentation of Jnanapana. I am saving your write ups which contains so much information

Regarding this stanza, wheh Poonthanam mentions Asha pAsam., I think it also means

that the human mind is tied with rope of endless desires ,and so people have no time to the think about God. He advises us to free from these pAsaas and pray Krishna krishna mukunda janardana. Please forgive me if what I wrote is not the right meaning, Gurudevs and Savitriji.

prayerful regards,

Sreedevi menon

Om Namo Narayana

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

Monday, August 10, 2009, 4:39 AM

Njanappaana 38

Here desire is compared to a never ending rope. As we know the comparison tells us that even though the rope is of endless length, it is not stable. Even if the greedy person holds on to it tightly, he can fall with the rope or fall leaving the hold on the rope. Let us remember the story of a woman selling " malarpoti " or popped-rice powder (It is different from puffed rice). This woman made a living by selling popped- rice powder. She was greedy and always dreamt of making more money. While she was walking with the container with the powder on her head, she started day-dreaming about how rich she would be one day. In he day-dream she saw a beautiful house fully furnished, with nice garden, very nice kitchen and lot of servants to attend her, lot of ornaments and lot of money in the bank etc. Immersed in this dream, she walked and hit on a tree trunk. What happened next is sad. She fell and broke her arm and container fell down and broke spilling the popped- rice powder in the entire area. Dream was shattered and food for the day became her priority.

" Do not be proud of wealth, kindred and youth, time will take away all these in a moment. "

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savitriji,

Thank you for the reply. Guruvayurappan is blessing you, I am sure when you write this

elaborate vyakhyanam. Not only that you are internalising "The Bhagavatgeeta and Bhajagovindam" in malayalam, you are teaching all of us too. Thank you again for doing such a wonderful job.

regards,

sreedevi

Om Namo Narayanaya

Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38guruvayur Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 11:10 AM

Dear Sreedeviji,

Thank you so much for the kind words. To be honest with you, it is a real learning process for me and I am learning so many things when I try to go deep into it. Unfortunately I have just one interpretation by Neelakndhan Nambishan and the rest I am trying to read and understand from different books . I heard that there is a very good Vyaakhyaanam by Dr. P.c. Balakrishnanji. I really wish I could read that also before I try to write about it. Jnaanananda Saraswathi's books and Siddhi naathaanada Swami's books and often Pandit Gopalan Nair's Bhagavtham help me understand a lot of things Shri Poonthaanam Nambudiri says in the most simple words. Sometimes, connecting all ideas together is a challenge and it is only a humble attempt.

What you said is absolutely right. In fulfilling our desire, we do not have time to think of God and often we are not able to set our priorities. When I rewirte, I will add this point with acknowledgement. Your input is very valuable to me. I missed this particular point and it is a very good point. Actually a few others who are not in Guruvayur group, some in our own family group and friends also suggested their views and added valuable comments for several lines. I have saved them and definitely want to incorporate when I rewrite. Thank you Sreedeviji, for the valuable comment. Please do write your perception and comments and correct any mistakes you might see because I am not writing with a lot of knowledge. But I am taking time and effort to do my best and I hope that Guruvayurappan will accept this "à´•à´²àµà´²àµà´‚ പതിരàµà´‚ നിറഞàµà´ž അവിലൠ" offered at His feet.

Regards and prayers

Savitri

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM, NVP Menon <nvpmenon > wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

prayerful regards,

Sreedevi menon

Om Namo Narayana

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38Monday, August 10, 2009, 4:39 AM

Njanappaana 38

Here desire is compared to a never ending rope. As we know the comparison tells us that even though the rope is of endless length, it is not stable. Even if the greedy person holds on to it tightly, he can fall with the rope or fall leaving the hold on the rope. Let us remember the story of a woman selling "malarpoti" or popped-rice powder (It is different from puffed rice). This woman made a living by selling popped- rice powder. She was greedy and always dreamt of making more money. While she was walking with the container with the powder on her head, she started day-dreaming about how rich she would be one day. In he day-dream she saw a beautiful house fully furnished, with nice garden, very nice kitchen and lot of servants to attend her, lot of ornaments and lot of money in the bank etc. Immersed in this dream, she walked and hit on a tree trunk. What happened next is sad. She fell and broke her arm and container fell down and broke spilling the

popped- rice powder in the entire area. Dream was shattered and food for the day became her priority.

"Do not be proud of wealth, kindred and youth, time will take away all these in a moment."

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savitriji,

You are doing a wonderful job.

By the way, the fourth line is "ayuthamaakil". ayutham means "ten thousand" in Sanskrit. So what the poet says is that the person feels that it will be wondeful if he gets ten thousand. In this way his desire goes on and on. Desires have been compared to pouring ghee on fire. You cannot extinguish the fire by pouring ghee It will only grow stronger. Similarly, you cannot put an end to desires by fulfilling them. They will only grow more and more. Aasaapaasam is, as Sreedevi has pointed out, desires which bind us like a rope. The Gita says, "Aasaapaasa sataih baddhaah"-- being bound by hundreds of desires-- worldly desires--- we do not think of striving for liberation from samsaara. Desires tie us down to this worldly life like a rope.

With best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Njanappaana 38

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savithriji,Your commentary is wonderful. Mere translation would not have brought the full glory of the devotion and jnana of the author.. The Lord Guruvayurappan has given me the thought of asking you to write this and I am very happy to be a smaal stone in the foundation of your edifice.saroja Ramanujam . Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromanireply to sarojram18 and to get the previous posts--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri wrote:Nilakantan sastri <snsastriRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38guruvayur Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

Dear Savitriji,

By the way, the fourth line is "ayuthamaakil" . ayutham means "ten thousand" in Sanskrit. So what the poet says is that the person feels that it will be wondeful if he gets ten thousand. In this way his desire goes on and on. Desires have been compared to pouring ghee on fire. You cannot extinguish the fire by pouring ghee It will only grow stronger. Similarly, you cannot put an end to desires by fulfilling them. They will only grow more and more. Aasaapaasam is, as Sreedevi has pointed out, desires which bind us like a rope. The Gita says, "Aasaapaasa sataih baddhaah"-- being bound by hundreds of desires-- worldly desires--- we do not think of striving for liberation from samsaara. Desires tie us down to this worldly life like a rope.

With best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Njanappaana 38

How can we control our ever rising desires? Poonthaanam' s solution is Naamsankeertthanam. Naamasankeerthanam purifies our mind and helps us to control all the six negative emotions that entangle us in this world namely : kaama, krodha, lobha, mada, moha and maathsarya.

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear and respected Sastriji,

I do not know how to thank you for pointing out that " ayutham " is ten thousand. I will correct it when I rewrite. Your comparison of desire to pouring ghee on fire is so nice. I have never heard of this before and If you do not mind, I will incorporate this metaphor with acknowledgement when I rewrite.

Satriji, I feel very diffident when I think that very knoweldgeable people like yourself, Sarojamji, KVGji,  and many others who are very learned in our group, are reading my explanations. Who am I to do explanation of this wonderful work by the greatest devotee Shri Poonthaanam Nambudiri? But your correcting my mistake has actually decreased my diffidence because you were kind enough to correct and advise me and now I can be assured that even if I write something that I misunderstood, I can count on respected elders (like my parents) and learned well wishers to tell me what is right. This is a very good feeling and let me do pranamam at your feet, Sastriji! I have studied Sanskrit only in my school, and only because of moham or " desire " to talk about and write about Bhagavaan I am doing this. I pray that my desire to write and talk about Bhgavaan will grow stronger and words of appreciation will become the ghee. Every single mail I am posting is a learning process for me. It  is Guruvayurappan's grace that Saojaji brought this request and Bhagavan is letting me do this. I sincerely appreciate your comment and request you to help me with explanations whenever you feel it is necessary.

Your words of appreciation means a lot to me.

Pranama poorvam

Savitri

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri wrote:

Dear Savitriji,

By the way, the fourth line is " ayuthamaakil " . ayutham means  " ten thousand " in Sanskrit. So what the poet says is that the person feels that it will be wondeful if he gets ten thousand. In this way his desire goes on and on. Desires have been compared to pouring ghee on fire. You cannot extinguish the fire by pouring ghee It will only grow stronger. Similarly, you cannot put an end to desires by fulfilling them. They will only grow more and more.  

Aasaapaasam is, as Sreedevi has pointed out, desires which bind us like a rope. The Gita says, " Aasaapaasa sataih baddhaah " -- being bound by hundreds of desires-- worldly desires--- we do not think of striving for liberation from samsaara.  Desires tie us down to this worldly life like a rope.

With best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Njanappaana 38

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear and respected Sarojaji,

Thank you so much for the kind words. As I wrote to Sastriji, these words from great scholars like you and Sastriji are such a morale boost for somebody like me. I would never have attempted to do this if you had not posted this request in this forum. I am amazed how many new things I learn while trying to expand on what Poonthaanam says in a few lines. Please accept my pranamams and please take the freedom to correct any mistakes you see.

I offer all the words pf appreciation at Guruvayurappan's feet.

respectful regards and prayers

savitri

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote:

Dear Savithriji,Your commentary is wonderful. Mere translation would not have brought the full glory of the devotion and jnana of the author.. The Lord Guruvayurappan has given me the thought of asking you to write this and I am very happy  to be a smaal stone in the foundation of your edifice.

saroja Ramanujam

Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromani

reply to sarojram18 and to get the previous posts--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri wrote:

Nilakantan sastri <snsastriRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

guruvayur Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

Dear Savitriji,

By the way, the fourth line is " ayuthamaakil " . ayutham means  " ten thousand " in Sanskrit. So what the poet says is that the person feels that it will be wondeful if he gets ten thousand. In this way his desire goes on and on. Desires have been compared to pouring ghee on fire. You cannot extinguish the fire by pouring ghee It will only grow stronger. Similarly, you cannot put an end to desires by fulfilling them. They will only grow more and more.  

Aasaapaasam is, as Sreedevi has pointed out, desires which bind us like a rope. The Gita says, " Aasaapaasa sataih baddhaah " -- being bound by hundreds of desires-- worldly desires--- we do not think of striving for liberation from samsaara.  Desires tie us down to this worldly life like a rope.

With best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Njanappaana 38

How can we control our ever rising desires? Poonthaanam' s solution is Naamsankeertthanam. Naamasankeerthanam purifies our mind and helps us to control all the six negative emotions that entangle us in this world namely : kaama, krodha, lobha, mada, moha and maathsarya.

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri

Dear Savithriji,I could very well understand your feelings becasue I have undergone the same myself while I started writing on sribhashyam of Ramanuja.As in your case it was also the command of the Lord because I never thought that I would be able to write on this monumental work in sanskrit running to two thick volumes, though I studied it while doing my PhD.I went to melkote and thed arsan was delayed due to some death in the vicinity nad we were in ahurry to finidh darsan and go to Srirangapatmnam before the temple closes. When we just had the darsan of Sri ramanuja and moved away after getting the holy water towards the sannidhi of the main deity Thirunarayanan, some one called me and said "you are going without getting the satari, " which is supposed to be the blessing of the feet of the acharya. Then it appeared to me as though the acharya

himself was calling me and I went back and got the satari seva. When I came back to Chennai the mail from Dr. Sadagopan, who runs a website on all works of Vaishnavism that I should write the commentary on sribhashya of Ramanuja. I took is as the command of the Lord and said yes. He gave me a time limit of 5 months as he wanted to publish the ebook in time for the ahobilamuttJeeyar"s80th birthday. I was flabbargasted to think that I had to finish the huge work in such a short time but I could not believe it when by the grace of the Lord and the acharya I was able to finish it well before the time.So iItis all the doing of the Lord who gives us ability and understanding and the opportunity to do His kainkaryasaroaj Ramanujam . Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromanireply to sarojram18 and to get the previous posts--- On Wed, 8/12/09, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38To:

guruvayur Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 7:00 AM

Dear and respected Sarojaji,

Thank you so much for the kind words. As I wrote to Sastriji, these words from great scholars like you and Sastriji are such a morale boost for somebody like me. I would never have attempted to do this if you had not posted this request in this forum. I am amazed how many new things I learn while trying to expand on what Poonthaanam says in a few lines. Please accept my pranamams and please take the freedom to correct any mistakes you see.

I offer all the words pf appreciation at Guruvayurappan's feet.

respectful regards and prayers

savitri

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 > wrote:

Dear Savithriji,Your commentary is wonderful. Mere translation would not have brought the full glory of the devotion and jnana of the author.. The Lord Guruvayurappan has given me the thought of asking you to write this and I am very happy to be a smaal stone in the foundation of your edifice.

saroja Ramanujam

Dr. SarojaRamanujam , M.A., Ph.D, sanskritsiromani

reply to sarojram18 (AT) gmail (DOT) com and to get the previous posts--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri > wrote:

Nilakantan sastri <snsastri >Re: [Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

guruvayur@grou ps.comTuesday, August 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

Dear Savitriji,

By the way, the fourth line is "ayuthamaakil" . ayutham means "ten thousand" in Sanskrit. So what the poet says is that the person feels that it will be wondeful if he gets ten thousand. In this way his desire goes on and on. Desires have been compared to pouring ghee on fire. You cannot extinguish the fire by pouring ghee It will only grow stronger. Similarly, you cannot put an end to desires by fulfilling them. They will only grow more and more.

Aasaapaasam is, as Sreedevi has pointed out, desires which bind us like a rope. The Gita says, "Aasaapaasa sataih baddhaah"-- being bound by hundreds of desires-- worldly desires--- we do not think of striving for liberation from samsaara. Desires tie us down to this worldly life like a rope.

With best wishes,

S.N.Sastri

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>[Guruvayur] Namasthe- Njanappaana 38

Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Njanappaana 38

Sreekrishnaarpanama sthu

Regards an dprayers

savitri