IndiaDivine.org

KARMANYEVAADHIKAARASTE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

" KARMANYEVAADHIKAARASTE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA "

I submit this point  not without a good deal of trepidation for I am entering a territory which, for me, is an unexplored one. I claim no expertise in matters spiritual, religious or philosophical. But I feel sanguine that I will get wise guidance on the points I am raising.

In the few Commentaries on the Bhagavad Geetaa I have refereed to, the meaning given is: " Seek to perform your duty; but lay no claim to its fruits. Be you not the producer of the fruits of karma; neither shall you lean towards inaction. " Thy right is to work only, but never to its fruits; let not the fruit of action be thy motive, nor any attachment be to inaction.

The eminent philosopher-statesman Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was  fond of saying: " Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern. "  

There is no question that anyone should be attached to inaction. Equally axiomatic is the injunction " Do your duty " .

The problem, as I see it, is with the injunction that one should not be concerned with the fruits of action since you are not their producer and you have no'right' to them. I can readily see that there are situations and circumstances beyond one's control and one cannot, as a matter of right, expect or lay claim to the fruits of one's actions. (We are talking here about actions driven by good motives.)

To my humble way of thinking, there are situations wherein the karmakartha must not only do his duty but must be concerned and anxious that his action produces the desired result. I am not dealing here with hypothetical situations for the sake of argument but of real life situations of which I have some experience. I shall rest content by giving one example. I used to read books for blind students from class six to PhD scholars. And discuss problems and doubts with them to the best of my ability. I strongly feel that I should not have taken- and I did not- take the position that I should rest content by merely doing the said duty but should have concerned -and I did-  myself to see, as far as it lay in my ability, that my 'duty' produced the desired result for the student (not for me). That  is not to say that I was seeking any 'selfish' satisfaction for myself or happiness that my effort produced the desired result. Far from it. I was not seeking anything of the kind. And if such effect flowed back to me, it was purely incidental, not of my seeking. In situations of this kind, I cannot see why I should not feel good about it. If the desired result is not forthcoming, I should redouble my effort to achieve the desired result. I am aiming at a positive result for the party of the second part. I am, and should be, concerned and anxious that the desired result is forthcoming. And I must actively strive for it. However, I must not be unduly elated or dejected by the result of my action. Only learn from it and adapt the next time.

So, my thests is that the dictum " Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern " should be taken and applied, not as a rule of thumb applicable to any and every situation in life, but applied with discrimination.

I am sure this dilemma must have arisen in many minds and proper guidance is already available. I shall be grateful for advice in the matter.

G.Sankaran 

Dear Sankaran,Your viewpoint is partly right in the sense that u make sure u put ur efforts heart and soul into the job u undertake. But u must also remember one thing. We all are only instruments in the hands of God and we are here to do only He wills. Having said that, it is the responsibility of each one of us to do our duty to best ability. When God has chosen us to perform every duty, He knows what amount of work we can put in to become successful. Therefore, our only duty is to make God proud for having

chosen us. We very often see that even putting the best efforts into a work ends up in a failure. What we believe to be a failure may not be a failure at all since only God knows what is a success and failure. In this aspect also we can see the validity of the verse you quoted in Gita. This is because success and failure are only relative terms in life. What is success to one person may not be the same for another. So when the very definition of these dual terms is undecided, there is no point pondering over the end result of any action. Hope this clarifies your doubt...Rajeshgopalakrishnan sankaran <geeessguruvayur Sent: Friday, 21 August, 2009 7:39:04 PM[Guruvayur] "KARMANYEVAADHIKAARASTE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA"

"KARMANYEVAADHIKAARA STE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA"

I submit this point not without a good deal of trepidation for I am entering a territory which, for me, is an unexplored one. I claim no expertise in matters spiritual, religious or philosophical. But I feel sanguine that I will get wise guidance on the points I am raising.

In the few Commentaries on the Bhagavad Geetaa I have refereed to, the meaning given is: "Seek to perform your duty; but lay no claim to its fruits. Be you not the producer of the fruits of karma; neither shall you lean towards inaction." Thy right is to work only, but never to its fruits; let not the fruit of action be thy motive, nor any attachment be to inaction.

The eminent philosopher- statesman Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was fond of saying: "Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern."

There is no question that anyone should be attached to inaction. Equally axiomatic is the injunction "Do your duty".

The problem, as I see it, is with the injunction that one should not be concerned with the fruits of action since you are not their producer and you have no'right' to them. I can readily see that there are situations and circumstances beyond one's control and one cannot, as a matter of right, expect or lay claim to the fruits of one's actions. (We are talking here about actions driven by good motives.)

To my humble way of thinking, there are situations wherein the karmakartha must not only do his duty but must be concerned and anxious that his action produces the desired result. I am not dealing here with hypothetical situations for the sake of argument but of real life situations of which I have some experience. I shall rest content by giving one example. I used to read books for blind students from class six to PhD scholars. And discuss problems and doubts with them to the best of my ability. I strongly feel that I should not have taken- and I did not- take the position that I should rest content by merely doing the said duty but should have concerned -and I did- myself to see, as far as it lay in my ability, that my 'duty' produced the desired result for the student (not for me). That is not to say that I was seeking any 'selfish' satisfaction for myself or happiness that my effort produced the desired result. Far

from it. I was not seeking anything of the kind. And if such effect flowed back to me, it was purely incidental, not of my seeking. In situations of this kind, I cannot see why I should not feel good about it. If the desired result is not forthcoming, I should redouble my effort to achieve the desired result. I am aiming at a positive result for the party of the second part. I am, and should be, concerned and anxious that the desired result is forthcoming. And I must actively strive for it. However, I must not be unduly elated or dejected by the result of my action. Only learn from it and adapt the next time.

So, my thests is that the dictum "Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern" should be taken and applied, not as a rule of thumb applicable to any and every situation in life, but applied with discrimination.

I am sure this dilemma must have arisen in many minds and proper guidance is already available. I shall be grateful for advice in the matter.

G.Sankaran

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Buzz.

Dear Shri Sankaran,

What we are asked not to yearn for is the fruit-- which means the personal

benefit one gets in the form of monetary reward or fame, etc. One of the

conditions laid down is that the duty should be performed as an offering to God.

This itself implies that it should be performed to the best of one's ability.

Naturally, one should take all care to see that the work is done perfectly and

that the best result is attained. But this should be done as a duty and not with

the eye on personal benefit. For example, a surgeon should perform a procedure

with all his skill, whether the patient is a rich man who can give him a hefty

fee or a poor man who can pay nothing. Thus we have to distinguish between the

personal benefit from the action and the result for those for whom the action is

intended. The Gita does not say that one should not get any personal benefit. It

only says that that should not be the aim. The aim should be perfection in the

action, irrespective of the personal benefit.

Regards,

S.N.Sastri

> gopalakrishnan sankaran <geeess

> guruvayur

> Friday, 21 August, 2009 7:39:04 PM

> [Guruvayur] " KARMANYEVAADHIKAARASTE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA "

>

>

> " KARMANYEVAADHIKAARA STE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA "

>

> I submit this point not without a good deal of trepidation for I am entering

a territory which, for me, is an unexplored one. I claim no expertise in matters

spiritual, religious or philosophical. But I feel sanguine that I will get wise

guidance on the points I am raising.

>

> In the few Commentaries on the Bhagavad Geetaa I have refereed to, the meaning

given is: " Seek to perform your duty; but lay no claim to its fruits. Be you not

the producer of the fruits of karma; neither shall you lean towards inaction. "

Thy right is to work only, but never to its fruits; let not the fruit of action

be thy motive, nor any attachment be to inaction.

>

> The eminent philosopher- statesman Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was fond of

saying: " Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern. "

>

> There is no question that anyone should be attached to inaction. Equally

axiomatic is the injunction " Do your duty " .

>

> The problem, as I see it, is with the injunction that one should not be

concerned with the fruits of action since you are not their producer and you

have no'right' to them. I can readily see that there are situations and

circumstances beyond one's control and one cannot, as a matter of right, expect

or lay claim to the fruits of one's actions. (We are talking here about actions

driven by good motives.)

>

> To my humble way of thinking, there are situations wherein the karmakartha

must not only do his duty but must be concerned and anxious that his action

produces the desired result. I am not dealing here with hypothetical situations

for the sake of argument but of real life situations of which I have some

experience. I shall rest content by giving one example. I used to read books for

blind students from class six to PhD scholars. And discuss problems and doubts

with them to the best of my ability. I strongly feel that I should not have

taken- and I did not- take the position that I should rest content by merely

doing the said duty but should have concerned -and I did- myself to see, as far

as it lay in my ability, that my 'duty' produced the desired result for the

student (not for me). That is not to say that I was seeking any 'selfish'

satisfaction for myself or happiness that my effort produced the desired result.

Far from it. I was not seeking

> anything of the kind. And if such effect flowed back to me, it was purely

incidental, not of my seeking. In situations of this kind, I cannot see why I

should not feel good about it. If the desired result is not forthcoming, I

should redouble my effort to achieve the desired result. I am aiming at a

positive result for the party of the second part. I am, and should be, concerned

and anxious that the desired result is forthcoming. And I must actively strive

for it. However, I must not be unduly elated or dejected by the result of my

action. Only learn from it and adapt the next time.

>

> So, my thests is that the dictum " Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy

concern " should be taken and applied, not as a rule of thumb applicable to any

and every situation in life, but applied with discrimination.

>

> I am sure this dilemma must have arisen in many minds and proper guidance is

already available. I shall be grateful for advice in the matter.

>

> G.Sankaran

>

>

>

>

>

> Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.

Click here http://cricket.

>

HARI AUMThank you very much Sastriji: you have cleared a common doubt in very simple and brief sentense: "The Gita does not say that one should not get any personal benefit. It only says that that should not be the aim. The aim should be perfection in the action, irrespective of the personal benefit. After reading your (Sastriji's) response I read - nay, studied - the original question from Shri Sankaran. I could find the answer in the question itself - that too in very elivated plane! What a great mission! "I used to read books for blind students from class six to PhD scholars.

And discuss problems and doubts with them to the best of my ability."My Sahasra Pranams at your holy feet! Krishna, Guruvayurappa!Regards,NB Nair.guruvayur , "snsastri" <snsastri wrote:>> Dear Shri Sankaran,> What we are asked not to yearn for is the fruit-- which means the personal benefit one gets in the form of monetary reward or fame, etc. One of the conditions laid down is that the duty should be performed as an offering to God. This itself implies that it should be performed to the best of one's ability. Naturally, one should take all care to see that the work is done perfectly and that the best result is attained. But this should be done as a duty and not with the eye on personal benefit. For example, a surgeon should perform a procedure with all his skill, whether the patient is a rich man who can give him a hefty fee or a poor man who can pay nothing. Thus we have to distinguish between the personal benefit from the action and the result for those for whom the action is intended. The Gita does not say that one should not get any personal benefit. It only says that that should not be the aim. The aim should be perfection in the action, irrespective of the personal benefit. > Regards,> S.N.Sastri > > > gopalakrishnan sankaran geeess@> > guruvayur > > Friday, 21 August, 2009 7:39:04 PM> > [Guruvayur] "KARMANYEVAADHIKAARASTE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA"> > > > > > "KARMANYEVAADHIKAARA STE MA PHALESHU KADAACHANA"> > > > I submit this point not without a good deal of trepidation for I am entering a territory which, for me, is an unexplored one. I claim no expertise in matters spiritual, religious or philosophical. But I feel sanguine that I will get wise guidance on the points I am raising.> > > > In the few Commentaries on the Bhagavad Geetaa I have refereed to, the meaning given is: "Seek to perform your duty; but lay no claim to its fruits. Be you not the producer of the fruits of karma; neither shall you lean towards inaction." Thy right is to work only, but never to its fruits; let not the fruit of action be thy motive, nor any attachment be to inaction.> > > > The eminent philosopher- statesman Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was fond of saying: "Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern." > > > > There is no question that anyone should be attached to inaction. Equally axiomatic is the injunction "Do your duty".> > > > The problem, as I see it, is with the injunction that one should not be concerned with the fruits of action since you are not their producer and you have no'right' to them. I can readily see that there are situations and circumstances beyond one's control and one cannot, as a matter of right, expect or lay claim to the fruits of one's actions. (We are talking here about actions driven by good motives.)> > > > To my humble way of thinking, there are situations wherein the karmakartha must not only do his duty but must be concerned and anxious that his action produces the desired result. I am not dealing here with hypothetical situations for the sake of argument but of real life situations of which I have some experience. I shall rest content by giving one example. I used to read books for blind students from class six to PhD scholars. And discuss problems and doubts with them to the best of my ability. I strongly feel that I should not have taken- and I did not- take the position that I should rest content by merely doing the said duty but should have concerned -and I did- myself to see, as far as it lay in my ability, that my 'duty' produced the desired result for the student (not for me). That is not to say that I was seeking any 'selfish' satisfaction for myself or happiness that my effort produced the desired result. Far from it. I was not seeking> > anything of the kind. And if such effect flowed back to me, it was purely incidental, not of my seeking. In situations of this kind, I cannot see why I should not feel good about it. If the desired result is not forthcoming, I should redouble my effort to achieve the desired result. I am aiming at a positive result for the party of the second part. I am, and should be, concerned and anxious that the desired result is forthcoming. And I must actively strive for it. However, I must not be unduly elated or dejected by the result of my action. Only learn from it and adapt the next time.> > > > So, my thests is that the dictum "Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern" should be taken and applied, not as a rule of thumb applicable to any and every situation in life, but applied with discrimination.> > > > I am sure this dilemma must have arisen in many minds and proper guidance is already available. I shall be grateful for advice in the matter.> > > > G.Sankaran > > > > > > > > > > > > Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.> >>

HARI AUM

Bhagavan is reminding a 'principle' - One can ACT in the PRESENT ONLY and the RESULT can manifest / occur / happen ONLY in FUTURE. Since one CANNOT have any CONTROL on FUTURE 'he' says - 'Don't bother on things on which you have absolutely no control whatsoever and hence don't WORRY/ get ATTACHED to the 'result'. Isn't the case in our life too! How many of us are overtly worried about neighbours' and other people's well being ! The only reason is because there is very little one can do to salvage those situations more often.( but wherever possible one does extend help too).

This is perhaps the most quoted / and misquoted of all 'gita' verses. In fact 'gita' is only a manual of 'principles' and can easily be understood if one start applying it using 'common sense'.

Regards

Balagopal

NARAYANA NARAYANA NARAYANA

Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.